How To Exterior :: Painting tow hook

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:57 AM
mcsmike
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exterior :: Painting tow hook

I was bored a couple of days ago so I decieded to paint my tow hook red to match my car. They had red, black, and yellow. I figured I would take some pics to show you guys.
I bought the Plasti Dip from home depot. It cost like 5 bucks.

First thing I did was wipe down the tow hook with rubbing alcohol to remove any grease or oils that could have got on it.

Then I wrapped the threads of the hook in tape so no paint would go on them and tied a string to hang the hook on around the threads.

After figuring out a way to hang your hook, shake the can of paint well and open it. Open in a well ventilated area.
Dip the hook a little past the threads and pull out completly. Do this a couple of times to get a good even coat all the way around. Be careful not to bump the hook on the edges of the can.

Once sufficiently coated remove it and set to hang.

You will notice a small amount of excess paint on the bottom of the hook. Just leave it alone, if your try and remove it you could wrinkle the paint and have to redo the whole process. Trust me I ruined it three times

Your end result should look like this

Last edited by mcsmike; 10-14-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:00 PM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
that looks good. might have to do that, thanks

Old 10-14-2007, 02:11 PM
drgary13
1st Gear
looks good!

did the same with plasti coat last week. don't "dip" past the first "notch" from the treads, as that portion goes into the bumper thread and it will tear the plasti coat that you have spent so much time preparing. use a razor and cut a clean edge just past the notch (from the treads) and it will screw in great and only your color will be showing and no torn plasti coat.

some silicone sealant, in caulk gun container from home depot, will allow you to mount vertical without having to crank it tight. it is made for metal to metal surfaces and drys strong, but removable. use a good amount and wipe any that squirts out of the threads.

there is a thread somewhere with some good info as well.

hope that helps.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:12 PM
tshubin
4th Gear
The plastidip also comes in a spray can. I used it for the same purpose, the advantage here is that you can go slow with multiple coats and not get it all drippy at one end of the hook.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
How do you get the drips off the end when it dries or do you leave it like that? I've got a autotecknic hook that I bought on sale for when I get my aero kit and might paint it. haven't decided yet though, but your post will be a great help if I do

Old 10-14-2007, 03:11 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mcsmike

You will notice a small amount of excess paint on the bottom of the hook. Just leave it alone, if your try and remove it you could wrinkle the paint and have to redo the whole process. Trust me I ruined it three times

Try inverting it right after you pull it out. Hold it verticle with the threads in a vise and let the coating set...works like a charm...ooo that was so long ago that I can't I believe I still remember that...

Old 10-14-2007, 03:39 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
hooks looks good!

Old 10-14-2007, 04:28 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkness
How do you get the drips off the end when it dries or do you leave it like that? I've got a autotecknic hook that I bought on sale for when I get my aero kit and might paint it. haven't decided yet though, but your post will be a great help if I do
I did the same method (Plasti-dip in a can), and those "nibs" that form on the bottom of the hook when the plastic is wet go away completely as the coat dries and contracts. My wife's done about six of the tow hooks since then with the same results. You can leave the hook hanging "threads-up" during the entire drying process.

Just dip it in slowly, remove it slowly, don't bump the hook against the can, and allow the recommended dry time between coats.

I'd also be careful about shaking the can - that can introduce air bubbles, and if you end up with a bubble on the tow hook that doesn't pop right away, it could end up leaving a crater in the finish. Just stir the contents of the can with a stir-stick or long-handled screwdriver, making sure you get all the solids off of the bottom of the can.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:34 PM
drgary13
1st Gear
i agree with Scott...mine has a few small craters on it, but nothing noticable from standing next to the car.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Cool. Thanks for the tips! I'll keep them in mind for when I do it.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 PM
LetsMotorR53
2nd Gear
that looks real good. I have the deluxe racing tow hook and its starting to fade. Would you guys recommend the spray for painting this? I believe the hook is aluminum, not sure if that could pose a problem or not when it comes to the paint properly sticking. Also, what if you screwed up, can you just peel it off and try again? Iv never seen this stuff in action, so im kinda curious haha