How To Maintenance :: Cooper S Oil Change (with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
z3bum - great write up One question: how tight did you make the drain bolt? Till it stopped turning or a torque wrench?

Old 08-11-2007, 03:52 PM
beedeejay
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did an oil change on my '07MC. A few additional comments to what has already been posted.
It would be possible to do the oil change on flat ground. But I found it much easier to get to the drain plug by just driving the front wheels up on some 2x4's. A couple of inches made it much easier.
I removed my oil pan drain plug with a Torx 50. But an 8mm Hex or a 5/16" Hex would have worked also. In my case a Hex would probably have been the better choice.
I did not need to remove the coolant tank on the MC . I was able to get the oil filter cap off using a low profile socket with no extension.
I did not have a 27mm socket. But a 1 1/16" socket worked fine. A box end wrench would probably work too with a bit a patience.
Make sure you get the old brass crush ring. Mine wanted to stay attached to the bottom of the oil pan. It is important to replace the crush ring with a new one.
Part number for the brass crush ring gasket is 11-13-7-546-275. About $1.80. But if you get the OEM filter it may already be included.
My OEM BMW/MINI oil filter came with a replacement rubber gasket and brass crush ring gasket. Part number is 11-42-7-557-012. About $18.
Per Minimania web site torque the oil pan drain plug to 22.0 lbs/ft and the oil filter cap to 18.5 lbs/ft.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by beedeejay
Per Minimania web site torque the oil pan drain plug to 22.0 lbs/ft and the oil filter cap to 18.5 lbs/ft.
Thanks for that. I've been looking for those numbers.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:46 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used my trusty internal torque wrench. Need to buy a real one some time, but the trouble is the wrenches need to be calibrated often.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by z3bum
I
You're sure about that?

Old 09-07-2007, 03:39 PM
T-Horn67
2nd Gear
Just did the first oil change at 1500 miles.

After reading the ENTIRE thread, I was concerned about which drain plug I would get (the T50 or the 8mm socket) and how much oil would drain from the filter housing when it was removed.

I purchased one of those changing kits from MiniMania. It included 2 filters and the 27mm socket. I also purchased their center console organizer. The organizer shipped immediately but the changing kit was backordered. They ended up charging freight on both shipments. So, for $44 worth of product they charged me $15 ($7.50 twice) in freight...argh! However, it was nice to get the filters via mail since the dealership is over 60 miles away.

I purchased Mobil 1, 5w-30 for change. I located the drain plug and reached under with the T50 socket. It slid right in and had no "slop". So, I figure I have the T50...... Next, I try to slide my oil pan under the car but the car is too low. So, out come the ramps. They are ancient metal ones with a lip on either side of the incline. Of course, these bottom out on the lower spoiler. I jack up the car using the jack point under the front passenger side. I slide the pan under and remove the plug (the crush washer stuck to the bottom of the oil pan and needed to be bumped with a screw driver). I then lower the car to have it drain fully. I also removed the filler cap to "unlock" the vacuum in an attempt to make sure the filter would be draining.

While it's draining, I examine the plug. After 2 minutes, I still couldn't tell if it was a Torx or just a female lug. It definitely has slots in the corners for the Torx but has "flat" sides for the socket bit. Do they make a combination plug? If so, I would say that's what this is. Anyway, the T50 worked fine.

I unscrewed the coolant reservoir and easily accessed the filter housing using an 18" socket extension. As stated, I was concerned about oil draining down the front of the block and smoking once the car warmed up. I took 2 paper towels folded in half (4 layers) and tucked them under the filter housing using a long flat blade screw driver. I then backed off the housing. I expected 4-6 ounces of oil to leak. I had about 5 drips hit the paper towel!! So, either the delay caused by examining the plug or "releasing" the vacuum allowed the filter to drain....not sure. Either way, VERY little mess.

Rest of the change went as described in the thread. Total time was probably 35 minutes. I am going to buy some plastic ramps at Wal-Mart ($37) and can certainly do this change in under 20 minutes next time. Really no different than any other car and certainly you should not be intimidated by this. What is scary ... my dealer wants $131 to change the oil.

Final thought. MiniMania should include the T50 socket in their kit since I had to make a special trip to NAPA. I could have also picked up the 27mm socket while I was there. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a "kit".

Old 09-07-2007, 03:43 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
I think I used 8 or 9mm allen wrench.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:00 PM
T-Horn67
2nd Gear
BTW, the oil was black and the filter was surprisingly dirty! Couldn't imagine letting this oil go to 15,000 miles on a car I plan on keeping after seeing the oil and filter first hand.

z3bum....great posting and pics!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by T-Horn67
I purchased one of those changing kits from MiniMania. ... They ended up charging freight on both shipments. So, for $44 worth of product they charged me $15 ($7.50 twice) in freight...argh!
I also got stung by a double shipping charge from MiniMania. Most companies that have backordered items will not charge additional shipping. We shouldn't have to pay for their not maintaining stock. Not sure I'll be ordering from them again.

I purchased Mobil 1, 5w-30 for change.
Did you purchase Mobil 1 Extended, or just Mobil 1? If you didn't get the Extended version, you'll need to do your next change sooner. It isn't rated for 15,000 miles.

Also, rumor has it that the MINI recommendation of 5w-30 is a European spec. which is supposedly thicker than USA 5-30.

The MINI branded Castrol is supposed to be the heavier European 5-30. It is also spec'd for 15,000 miles and less expensive than the standard Mobil 1.

I used the non-extended Mobil 1 on my first oil change, but got nervous after reading the threads about the different standards. So, I drained it and used MINI branded oil from the dealer, but didn't change the filter.

INext, I try to slide my oil pan under the car but the car is too low. So, out come the ramps. They are ancient metal ones with a lip on either side of the incline. Of course, these bottom out on the lower spoiler. I jack up the car using the jack point under the front passenger side.
You could get a pair of small jack stands. They are inexpensive.

...I still couldn't tell if it was a Torx or just a female lug. It definitely has slots in the corners for the Torx but has "flat" sides for the socket bit. Do they make a combination plug? If so, I would say that's what this is. Anyway, the T50 worked fine.
I think it is designed to work with either.

I unscrewed the coolant reservoir and easily accessed the filter housing using an 18" socket extension. As stated, I was concerned about oil draining down the front of the block and smoking once the car warmed up. I took 2 paper towels folded in half (4 layers) and tucked them under the filter housing using a long flat blade screw driver. I then backed off the housing. I expected 4-6 ounces of oil to leak. I had about 5 drips hit the paper towel!! So, either the delay caused by examining the plug or "releasing" the vacuum allowed the filter to drain....not sure. Either way, VERY little mess.
I had a considerable mess the first time I removed the filter. Second time, I loosened the filter housing slowly and tried to let it drain before pulling it off. Seemed to help. I had removed the filler cap on both occasions.

Final thought. MiniMania should include the T50 socket in their kit since I had to make a special trip to NAPA. I could have also picked up the 27mm socket while I was there. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a "kit".
Yup, it is an incomplete kit, IMO. If you have to go to an auto supply store, you might as well pick up the 27mm socket there.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:32 AM
jlevy
3rd Gear
I purchased one of those changing kits from MiniMania. It included 2 filters and the 27mm socket. I also purchased their center console organizer. The organizer shipped immediately but the changing kit was backordered. They ended up charging freight on both shipments. So, for $44 worth of product they charged me $15 ($7.50 twice) in freight...argh! However, it was nice to get the filters via mail since the dealership is over 60 miles away.
All I ordered was two filters and I also got charged shipping twice. I wasn't real happy about it either.

-JL

Old 09-08-2007, 12:12 PM
surfblue
4th Gear
oil/filter notes

This black oil/surprisingly dirty filter thing puzzles me. I changed mine (I've posted the details b4) at around 1800 miles, and the oil looked extremely clean...darker than new, but still translucent in the light. And the filter didn't look like much activity had taken place. I did no drives of less than a hundred miles during break-in...no short hauls. Maybe that's the difference??

In regard to your filter not dripping, etc.... TIME is on your side if you have it to spare. You want to open/remove the filler cap before pulling the sump plug, and the hot oil will run out like it's water. Then turn your FILTER cap a bit to release it and wait for all the oil to drain down (if it hasn't done so already...I can't see what's going on in there! ). I don't like working on hot machinery, so after mine was draining, the car sat about three hours before the job was completed.
5k oil changes for me/by me, no matter short or long hauls. It's my $$$, it's DIY and I recycle at Kragen.

BTW, I purchased a six pack of filters from an outfit in FL whose name escapes me and I can't find the reciept, but they were reasonable and the filters (French made) are higher standard than the dealer supplied ones.

Happy motoring!

BTW, the oil was black and the filter was surprisingly dirty! Couldn't imagine letting this oil go to 15,000 miles on a car I plan on keeping after seeing the oil and filter first hand.

z3bum....great posting and pics!!!

Last edited by surfblue; 09-08-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: oil filter mention
Old 09-08-2007, 02:36 PM
DanF
5th Gear
The MINI branded Castrol is supposed to be the heavier European 5-30. It is also spec'd for 15,000 miles and less expensive than the standard Mobil 1.

I used the non-extended Mobil 1 on my first oil change, but got nervous after reading the threads about the different standards. So, I drained it and used MINI branded oil from the dealer, but didn't change the filter

Just curious, how much did the dealer charge for the Mini branded oil?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:49 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DanF

I used the non-extended Mobil 1 on my first oil change, but got nervous after reading the threads about the different standards. So, I drained it and used MINI branded oil from the dealer, but didn't change the filter

Just curious, how much did the dealer charge for the Mini branded oil?
Hey, you changed your oil, you tell us.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:03 PM
djam43
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlevy
All I ordered was two filters and I also got charged shipping twice. I wasn't real happy about it either.

-JL
This happended to me from Minimania. I ordered two filters and I recieved one each in two sperate shipments two days apart with two seperate shipping bills. I was pissed, to say the least. After a agressive email to the sales people, I was refunded the second shipping charges. Be aware.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:04 PM
DanF
5th Gear
I screwed that up I was asking Robin Casady how much he paid for the oil at the dealer.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DanF
I screwed that up I was asking Robin Casady how much he paid for the oil at the dealer.
I don't recall, just remember being surpised that it was less than I paid for the Mobil 1.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
OK, so I went down to Rasumussen yesterday and purchased 5 quarts of the OEM oil, at 5.40 per quart, that's not bad, considering I've paid more for AMSOIL at the store. They were also kind enough to sell me THE WRONG OIL FILTER!!! ARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!! Of course I didn't realize this until having removed the old one, which was surprisingly dirty IMO. Aside from my wrong filter mishap, I would have to say the oil change is rather easy to do and yes my oil was also surprisingly dirty, it had that nasty old oil smell to it, so I'm glad I changed it out, but at 2k it almost seems like I waited too long.

Last edited by amazingrando; 09-09-2007 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:30 PM
aus
3rd Gear
Just an FYI,

PepBoys has Mobil 1 on sale this week with a coupon for $4.99/quart and there's a $6 rebate if you buy 6 quarts. It includes the 0W-40 (German specs with BMW approval).

The coupon is in this weeks flyer and on their website. They should give you the rebate at the register.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by aus
Just an FYI,

PepBoys has Mobil 1 on sale this week with a coupon for $4.99/quart and there's a $6 rebate if you buy 6 quarts. It includes the 0W-40 (German specs with BMW approval).

The coupon is in this weeks flyer and on their website. They should give you the rebate at the register.
Is that Mobil 1 Extended? If not, I'd go the $0.40 per quart extra to get the higher quality MINI oil.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:57 AM
MiniTrance
1st Gear
Is there anything in the cpu that needs reset to show the oil has been changed? I know the car will display scheduled maintenance and when your oil is due to be changed.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:30 PM
MYMINI2007
2nd Gear
MC Oil Change w/ pics

I just completed my 1st oil change on the MINI. The car has 1400 miles on it, and it looks like I waited too long(I wish I had done this at 1200). I got the OEM Filter setup from BMW which contains: 1 Filter; 1 Crush Ring; 1 Oil Filter housing gasket.

Cost 15.99 for Kit and 6.91/QuartX5 $52.50

I changed the oil on flat ground, am going to try the 2X4 trick next time.
Maybe 30 mins or so from start to finish.

One point, by looking at my oil pictures I think we can all agree that this oil would not have been suitable for 13,600 more miles, which makes me wonder about the expected life of these engines, if people are waiting the OEM reccommeded time interval.

RT

Attached Thumbnails Maintenance :: Cooper S Oil Change (with pics!)-oilfilter.jpg   Maintenance :: Cooper S Oil Change (with pics!)-oilpan.jpg   Maintenance :: Cooper S Oil Change (with pics!)-shirtoil.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 05:18 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Something I noticed after the oil change on mine at 1250 miles.....
The service indicator used to say 16000 miles to service but after my first oil change at home it started to display 17000 miles instead and the date is pushed back, I think, to 06/2009.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:00 PM
aus
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
Is that Mobil 1 Extended? If not, I'd go the $0.40 per quart extra to get the higher quality MINI oil.
This is the Euro blend that is BMW (and MB,Porsche, Audi) approved. I would't say it's better than BMW oil, but it's not a bad price after the rebate.

This is NOT the US stuff.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by aus
This is the Euro blend that is BMW (and MB,Porsche, Audi) approved. I would't say it's better than BMW oil, but it's not a bad price after the rebate.

This is NOT the US stuff.
But, is it the Euro blend for 15,000 miles, or 5,000 miles? Or, do the Europeans not have the two grades of Mobil 1 -- Mobil 1, and Mobil 1 Extended?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:49 PM
aus
3rd Gear
It's a Group IV oil.

Quick Reply: How To Maintenance :: Cooper S Oil Change (with pics!)