Hawaii MINI Motoring Club The forum of the Hawaii MINI Motoring Club. Visit the club site at www.HawaiiMINIClub.org

HMMC North Shore Cruise

Old 08-21-2006, 09:34 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HMMC North Shore Cruise

Per the letter I sent out earlier this month, our HMMC North Shore Cruise is on for this Sunday, August 27th.

Meeting place : Kakaako Park
Meeting time : 9:00am (depart at 9:30am)
Route :

We will be leaving Kakaako Park at 9:30am sharp and head-up Nimitz to get on H1. From H1 we will drive past H2 and take the second exit (Kunia Road) and head north. This is a double lane road (one lane per direction) that'll take us next Schofield Barracks. Do NOT speed on this road and please do NOT pass anyone. People may try to pass you (us) - please let them.

At the end of Kunia Road we will take a left at the lights and go onto Wilikina Drive. We will then proceed until we hit the fork and turn right onto Kamananui Road. A short trip up and we'll merge with Kamehameha Highway and head left (north) towards Haleiwa.

After a good scenic drive we'll see the famous Haleiwa sign (if it's not stolen, or taken down by politics) we will turn left onto the rotary and take the first right and follow Kamehameha Highway - this will take us through Old Haleiwa Town for our first pit stop at the world famous Matsumoto's Shave Ice store (http://www.matsumotoshaveice.com/). Hopefully the early hour will allow us to avoid the tourist rush and we can get out of there in about 30-45 minutes. They have a pretty good size parking lot so if it's not crowded, we should all fit with no problem - all the MINIs in front of Matsumoto's Shave Ice would be a great photo!

After we finish arguing about with or without ice cream, with or without red beans, just plain, or the myriads of flavors, we will head left out of the parking lot. We'll immediately cross the famous bridge and see Haleiwa Beach Park. We will see the merge (where Joseph P. Leong Highway meets Kamehameha Highway) and take a left and continue up Kamehameha Highway. We will journey past Waimea Bay, Sunset Beach, Turtle Bay resort, Malaekahana State Rec. Area (across from Mokuaula Island), Kahana Bay and finally to the Kaaawa area where our next stop will be. We will stop at Swanzy's Beach Park and have lunch at Uncle Bobo's (a bbq joint highly recommended by our very own Feedback : http://unclebobos.com/) across the street.

That will be the end of our North Shore Cruise. The remainder of the drive will be to get back to our neighborhoods. Most of us will continue to head in the direction we were going and continue on Kamehameha Highway. At the Kahaluu area there will be a "Y" where the a left takes you on Kamehameha Highway and a right takes you on Kahekili Highway. Kehkili Highway will take us to Likelike Highway which should take most of us in a direction to get home. To get back to the town direction you can continue up the Likelike Highway. To get to the Leeward/Central side you will merge onto the H3.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:15 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
I will bring 4 Motorola radios again. If you bring your own, you can set to our signal and join-in on the madness.

The club will provide some drinks and breakfast bars.

Those who are 2006 HMMC members can pick up their club sticker too. Additional stickers (or for non-2006 members) will be on sale for $4.00 each.

Don't forget to fill up the tank as it's a fairly long drive.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:41 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Don't forget - if you are a 2006 HMMC member, in good standing, we will be handing out the new HMMC stickers out during the North Shore Cruise. We will have a master-list to confirm your membership status.

Additional club stickers will be available for $4.00 each.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
I went to MINI of HI today and reminded them of the North Shore Cruise this sunday. They were all excited- hopefully they will pass along the word to others before sunday.

I've been to Matsumotos about 10-10:30am before on a Sunday and it was really really nice to be in a line of about (three peeps with smiles).

Here we have three peeps with big hunger.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:22 AM
pyratio
Coordinator :: Hawaii MINI Motoring Club
2 cool!

--That sounds like an awesome cruise DK! Count me in! Everybody remember to put on some sunscreen as it has been hot hot hot and bright out there. I took a cruise to about half of the way there with the RapidTranxit group and man was I sunburned. It was sooo beautiful though. I hope everybody who's free comes on down. It'll be mucho cool!

See all y'all this Sunday!

~pyratio

Old 08-26-2006, 02:01 AM
DVLMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by minihune
I went to MINI of HI today and reminded them of the North Shore Cruise this sunday. They were all excited- hopefully they will pass along the word to others before sunday.

I've been to Matsumotos about 10-10:30am before on a Sunday and it was really really nice to be in a line of about (three peeps with smiles).

Here we have three peeps with big hunger.
Oh man...you're killin' me with the shave ice pics. I need some Matsumotos NOW. All I need is a plane ticket!

Old 08-26-2006, 05:05 AM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
Matsumotos got new trash cans so the bee problem is now nonexistant.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:33 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Beastmaster
Matsumotos got new trash cans so the bee problem is now nonexistant.
Yeah, the bees were swarmming for the sugar- can't blame them.

Now there are covers on the trash cans and that helps but...
When you spill your shaved ice and leave little puddles of sugar on the ground the bees can find them or you step on them with your slippers and soon you can be glued down to the ground by sticky sugar. This happens mostly later in the day so we should be much better in the morning.

You can always buy those wide plastic spill proof holders.

Aren't these pictures just great-
Brings back memories for alot of locals and visitors alike.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:03 PM
The_Beastmaster
6th Gear
I was there a few weeks ago in the afternoon and there were no bees, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:39 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
I read in a Japanese magazine once that Matsumoto's "secret" additive was honey - maybe that's why the bees like it so much.

I'm always amazed that there aren't more ants but they probably spray choke ant spray at night.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:34 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
What a perfect day for a North Shore Cruise! It was great seeing new faces on the cruise! Dirk, Bill, Kathy, Casey, Benilda, Keith, Deanna, Mark, Laura, Scott, Barry, Mike, Daniel, Val, Barry, Alice, Tom, Rita, Kyle, and Shawn had a safe, smooth, and fantastic cruise.

We will be posting the cruise photos on our club forum : http://www.hawaiiminiclub.org/forum/....php?p=796#796

BTW - you're right Beastie, there were no bees!

Old 08-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
next cruise

Great photos perhaps I will join in the next event

Old 08-28-2006, 12:26 AM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eastsidemini
Great photos perhaps I will join in the next event
Cool, so you're FINALLY joining the club huh?

Old 08-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DaKineMINI
Cool, so you're FINALLY joining the club huh?
ALL RIGHT what I gotta do?

Old 08-31-2006, 12:40 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
HMMC Website

Our club website has been updated to include coverage of this event : http://hawaiiminiclub.org/index.php/