Eventuri Exhaust Kit for the GP3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 06:07 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Eventuri Intake Kit for the GP3

I want to create a post about the Eventuri functional intake for the GP3 (I think this fits the other cars that have the 300hp b48 engine also). Let me start by saying that I was really looking forward to getting this intake. I have one on my 2017 F57 JCW and it is amazing. It sounds great, looks great, and I would easily place it in the top 3 upgrades on that car. Needless to say, when I found out there was going to be one for the GP3, I contacted Eventuri right away to let them know that I wanted one.

I had to order mine from the US Distributor IND-Distribution. They were great! They got the intake in very quickly and shipped it in a timely manner. They communicated with me the whole time. They do request a deposit of $250.00 when you place the order.

I feel the need to point out that I don’t intend for this review to be a scathing one, but I am pretty disappointed in the kit that I received, especially seeing as how the one I got for the F57 is excellent. For a kit that is priced well over $1,600.00, the problems with it should be pointed out and corrected.

Let’s start with the most glaring – Instructions. The link for the instructions directs you to instructions for the kit as it existed over 2 years ago. A lot in the design of the kit has changed since. This can make the instructions very confusing to someone who has never installed one of these before. The only reason I was able to install this kit with those instructions is because I had already installed a kit in my F57, so I knew where the errors were.

Example: #7 – 11 do not apply to the kit as it will be received. You will still need to move the MAF but they still refer to there being 2 types. This is obsolete because there is only one type in the current kit. They refer to the assembling of the MAF section with couplings and clamps. This no longer applies since it is all integrated in the newer design. (See photos)

Also, the instructions do not give a tool list. You can give the instructions a quick read through and figure out what tools you need. However, I can assure you that you’ll miss tools that you will need. A perfect example of this is when they mention a 10mm and a 6mm socket, yet a 13mm is never mentioned. You will need a 13mm for the factory bolt that holds the air box in place. Also, the instructions mention a Torqs but you will actually need 3 or 4 different sized Torqs.

A bracket has been added to the to the new GP3 kit, but it is not mentioned at all in the instructions. So again, if you follow the old version of the instructions provided via the link, you will be left scratching your head. (See Photos)

One of the biggest problems I found involved a misplaced piece in pre-assembly from factory. There is a peg on the air filter/maf sensor section that holds the whole thing in place in the car. The peg on my kit was installed in the wrong mounting hole from the factory. If you have never installed one of these kits, this would be extremely confusing. There really is no excuse for this. This is something that is easy enough for Eventuri to fix. (See photos)

In the instructions, you can clearly see how it should be installed. However, if you’re following the instructions and trying to make it work as the kit was received, you would never figure it out.

Eventuri, if you are listening, please go check all the kits right now and make sure the peg in the kits are in the correct mounting hole.

The next issue is significant and one that really lowers the fit and finish of the kit, making it seem quite second rate. The hole that is drilled in the intake tract on the runners left side is drilled about ½” more forward than it should be. This causes a tilted fitting location that creates a major gap on the left side. (See photos) It does not affect how the system works. Personally, the look of the intake is equally important to me as the performance. I have to say that this kit fell down on the fit and finish of the final product.

Another issue that can be addressed in manufacturing is that the hood scoop reuses the factory retaining torqs screw. The pre-drilled hole for that screw is too large and does to allow a good purchase for the screw’s threads to bite into. I am sure this is going to result in the loss of the screw or perhaps the screw and scoop itself. I hope I am wrong, but why risk it when I am sure it is a simple thing to fix. (See photos)

My last issue is not the fault of Eventuri at all. However, it is something we all want and hope for - MORE TURBO NOISE! I am here to tell you it did not happen. This kit did not work the way that it does for earlier JCW cars. With the kit on my 2017 F57 JCW, you can really hear the wastegate. Some people want that; I am one of them. I bought a fun sporty car and I want it to sound like one. Unfortunately, the GP3 does not sound any different with this kit installed. Again, this is not Eventuri’s fault; it is just how the GP3 works. Nonetheless, it is truly disappointing.

I want to close this review by saying that I think Eventuri has made a great product in the past and I think they can make a great one again. They just need to fix the issues I have pointed out and list below:

Instructions need to be updated
Fix alignment of intake tract
Mounting post needs to be correctly installed at factory

I wanted to get a kit that was as good as the one I have on another car, but I did not get that. Unfortunately, I cannot say that your money will be well spent until these issues are addressed and remedied. If you were on the fence about this intake purchase, I would have to say WAIT and let’s see what happens in the future.

Last edited by co0p3r; 11-09-2020 at 12:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KYDan (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 02:35 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Thanks for the heads up information. Great photos and explanations.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:46 PM
moku
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a great write-up. I've been considering the Eventuri intake system for my GP3 since it not only provides some additional power, but also creates a functioning intake hood scoop. The only thing that threw me off was the title of your post since it says "exhaust;" which got me wondering what that could look and sound like.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:57 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
Evolve has installed Bilstein shocks on the GP3 that provide track and road settings which they claim will provide better control and handling. I don't know if it is available in the US (yet). They have a video available demonstrating the installation.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:41 PM
scottab36
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I also installed this intake on my GP3 and it's pretty sweet. I did not any any real issues with the installation.

ECSTuning (05-26-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 05:08 PM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
I have seen at least 1/2 dozen intakes installed at my local MINI meets (Central Florida). Eventuri seems to have fixed almost all of the issues BUT the tilted front most vent.

I doubt this will ever be fixed, I am not knocking them, its a great intake and most likely the best you can get for the MINI F series, mine was just the first one in the US and clearly there was a little learning curve.

scottab36 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 10:46 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
. it is fact try to tape, its makes you quicker

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 05-26-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:44 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
So trying to understand this...with CC & Auto-translated German to English. It was a bit rough though

If I understand your experiments correctly, you are doing an 80-150 kph pull and measuring 'vacuum' or 'suction'? You do this stock, with Eventuri, then a third run with the Eventuri intake taped off.

The factory intake measured value was 7.5 something...(what is being measured?)
The normal Eventuri run was slower than the factory intake...measurement value was 7?
The tapped Eventuri run was faster than the factory intake... the value was 7.1

Can you explain what we're seeing?

Old 05-26-2021, 01:50 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,999 Likes on 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by scottab36
I also installed this intake on my GP3 and it's pretty sweet. I did not any any real issues with the installation.

Thats looks great on the GP3!

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
scottab36 (05-26-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 09:21 PM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by F56-JCDub
So trying to understand this...with CC & Auto-translated German to English. It was a bit rough though

If I understand your experiments correctly, you are doing an 80-150 kph pull and measuring 'vacuum' or 'suction'? You do this stock, with Eventuri, then a third run with the Eventuri intake taped off.

The factory intake measured value was 7.5 something...(what is being measured?)
The normal Eventuri run was slower than the factory intake...measurement value was 7?
The tapped Eventuri run was faster than the factory intake... the value was 7.1

Can you explain what we're seeing?
Testing 80-150 km/h 275hp F56

Factory intake measured value was 7.5 sec
Eventuri 7.8 sec
Tapped Eventuri was 7.1 sec
https://www.leebmann24.de/luftauslas...138320188.html

Last edited by Clutch Wotan; 05-26-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:26 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,745 Likes on 1,401 Posts
Originally Posted by Clutch Wotan
Testing 80-150 km/h 275hp F56

Factory intake measured value was 7.5 sec
Eventuri 7.8 sec
Tapped Eventuri was 7.1 sec
https://www.leebmann24.de/luftauslas...138320188.html
Sorry, too many variables to make this a valued test.

Since aftermarket intakes make claims of more airflow, a better test would be vacuum readings from just down stream of the intake filter, in the duct leading to the turbo inlet. Make a run to redline with the stock intake, then swap out for the Eventuri and repeat. Since the Eventuri intake opens up the hood scoop, I would be interested to see those results. Anyone willing to do some testing?

Old 05-27-2021, 04:07 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by njaremka
Sorry, too many variables to make this a valued test.

Since aftermarket intakes make claims of more airflow, a better test would be vacuum readings from just down stream of the intake filter, in the duct leading to the turbo inlet. Make a run to redline with the stock intake, then swap out for the Eventuri and repeat. Since the Eventuri intake opens up the hood scoop, I would be interested to see those results. Anyone willing to do some testing?
Why not tapping it yourself !