GP Talk (2006) Discussion of the limited edition, MINI Cooper S (R53)-based, John Cooper Works GP.

Now that I Have MY GP I Don't get...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:10 PM
jklopman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that I Have MY GP I Don't get...

I have had an MCS and JCW but this GP makes me scratch my bald head.

1. My daughter has a MCS. The GP is supposed to have a lowered suspension. Side by side in my garage. I don't see it. Maybe lowered with larger wheel tier package.

2. The rear spoiler is GLUED to the rear window. Thus the reason you can't take the car thru the carwash. Not that I ever would. Zainio all the way. Think about it as a thief would and an exacto knife is all you need to cut the rubber mount of the spoiler to the windsield and you have a nice carbon fiber spoiler.

Actually I am afraid to touch it.

3. Then the number on the roof. Really cool. Raised tape sort of but touch it wrong with a sponge and you will know it off. Dab wash around the roof number.

4. No Xenons. I can assure you, it will be more than easy to outdrive the lights on the GP. Gee at least give ue the otpion...

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. All in all, the best car I have driven. Kills my indi blue JCW. I can't wait to till 1,250 mile and I can go past 4,500 rpm. I would not trade the GP for any car. Cheap, easy to care for and more **** an vinegar then one could ever need for tossing on the streets.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Sounds like a high-quality product.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:20 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
well show us some pictures already

Old 10-23-2006, 10:43 PM
cooper99
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Besides the exclusiveness of owning a GP, why do you say it "kills your Indi Blue JCW MCS"? Please be specific.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by cooper99
Besides the exclusiveness of owning a GP, why do you say it "kills your Indi Blue JCW MCS"? Please be specific.
Pretty sure he meant that he greatly prefers "Thunder" blue to "Indi" blue.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:26 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
My GP is much lower than my GB. You need to compare the low point of the GP (where the side aero kit drops down just ahead of the back wheels).

And you're wrong about the rear spoiler - take another look. It's seriously bolted into the rear hatch; what you think is glue is probably just a seal between the spoiler and the glass, since the glass had to be trimmed to fit inside the spoiler brackets.

No options on the GP - you should have known it didn't have Xenons when you ordered it so you can't justify complaining ... it's a weight saving! But I know at least one GP owner that retro-fitted the Xenons.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:19 AM
Frank in Toledo
2nd Gear
Oh, Boy...

... now you gone an' dunit. Ya jest had to show me the GP. How am I sposed to sleep?

Old 10-24-2006, 07:46 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Just go and buy one then, Frank

Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 AM
jklopman
Neutral
My bad on the spoiler. I was totally wrong. I hate not being thorough and now I am goingh to take myself out back and beat the hell out of myself.

Seriously, thanks. I will take correct information over ego any day.

On the height. I am looking roof to roof when the cars are about 2 feet apart. I can't see a height difference and I have near perfect spacial vision. I guess I wll get out the tape measure.

I knew there were no options. Still, I feel I am outdriving the current lights and I have not broken in the car yet. If you make a car scoot like the GP then it should have lights to match.

Originally Posted by GBMINI
My GP is much lower than my GB. You need to compare the low point of the GP (where the side aero kit drops down just ahead of the back wheels).

And you're wrong about the rear spoiler - take another look. It's seriously bolted into the rear hatch; what you think is glue is probably just a seal between the spoiler and the glass, since the glass had to be trimmed to fit inside the spoiler brackets.

No options on the GP - you should have known it didn't have Xenons when you ordered it so you can't justify complaining ... it's a weight saving! But I know at least one GP owner that retro-fitted the Xenons.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:54 AM
jklopman
Neutral
It is much lighter in handling and more responsive. I even had SSR's with no run flats on my old JCW which was a huge improvement and the GP feels even easier to flick about.

The power is subtle and smooth once you get past around 2500 rpm. It is almost etherial. 0-60 time does not tell the ture story of the GP.

And the ride is pretty darn smooth until you hit a bump then ouch. For the most part it is smoother than my old JCW and even my daughter's 06 MCS auto.

i was going to keep it as a collector's car but for the price, it is too much fun to drive to keep it penned up in a garage.

Originally Posted by cooper99

Old 10-24-2006, 09:26 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I understand now what you mean about lowering - I was thinking more of clearance; sorry.

JCW website is down, so I checked my dealership website - it says "Why only 10mm lower? The John Cooper Works Sport Suspension has not been developed for a smooth racetrack. It has been developed to deliver enhanced cornering speed on different road surfaces, like twisty mountain roads. That is the main reason, why the car has been lowered by just 10mm"

Our GPs have that suspension so they should be lowered that much - but it's less than half an inch so hard to spot, plus tire differences could swallow that much. My non-GP is on aftermarket tires about 0.3" bigger diameter than stock; I bet even over- or under- inflated tires could make a significant portion of 10mm difference!

Old 10-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
JCW website is down, so I checked my dealership website
Here's a mirror of the JCW site on the international Mini.com.
Our GPs have that suspension so they should be lowered that much - but it's less than half an inch so hard to spot, plus tire differences could swallow that much. My non-GP is on aftermarket tires about 0.3" bigger diameter than stock; I bet even over- or under- inflated tires could make a significant portion of 10mm difference!
Yes, but keep in mind that the reduced weight of the GP might also hide the lowering effect (with the same suspension parts)... although the fact that the JCW suspension is "tuned" to the weight of the MINI (in 4 versions if I'm not mistaken) might have some effect on that.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:37 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Thanks for that MINI.com link - there's not much technical info there is there?!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Thanks for that MINI.com link - there's not much technical info there is there?!
Didn't you know? The W is an upside down M for Marketing.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:31 AM
UBeenMiniD
2nd Gear
2. The rear spoiler is GLUED to the rear window. Thus the reason you can't take the car thru the carwash. Not that I ever would. Zainio all the way. Think about it as a thief would and an exacto knife is all you need to cut the rubber mount of the spoiler to the windsield and you have a nice carbon fiber spoiler.

--> Check again. It's also bolted through the back windshield. Definitely no car washing...

4. No Xenons. I can assure you, it will be more than easy to outdrive the lights on the GP. Gee at least give ue the otpion...

--> Xenons = more weight.

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. All in all, the best car I have driven. Kills my indi blue JCW. I can't wait to till 1,250 mile and I can go past 4,500 rpm. I would not trade the GP for any car. Cheap, easy to care for and more **** an vinegar then one could ever need for tossing on the streets.

--> Watch out for trying to stay below 4,500. The second kick from the supercharger comes on around 4,200-4,500 and will put you to 5,000 in a heartbeat. Happened to me quite a few times and I sure hope it won't affect the long term of the car

Old 11-11-2006, 08:03 AM
jimskater
3rd Gear
Ubeen---that second kick is seriously addictive. Especially as it screams towards the rev limit.

And nope, it won't affect the long term.