General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on MINI after novelty wore off...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:30 PM
El_Jefe
Alliance Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Whenever I get into it, I realize im in a car that can do more than I possibly can make it do. I also realize that it doesnt look like a heap of metal looking poop that 95% of other cars look like. Squint and you cant see the difference between one of my favorite cars, a scion TC and an altima or a pontiac g6. I cant see the difference between a 1981 buick skylark and volkswagen phaeton. I know that sounds whacked, but if you really think about it, modern cars are really really really boring to look at compared to a....

mini cooper... vroooom... They just look happy like little puppies. The curves on my 2006's S's bonnet just dont exist anywhere since the 50's-60's, back when cars were unique

Old 04-14-2007, 08:52 PM
MINI Jackpot
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It appears one can enjoy driving a MINI for years. No need to play 'The Thrill is Gone' or 'You've lost that lovin' feeling'...

Just keep Sammy Hagar handy!

Old 04-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Neverfifty
3rd Gear
Sissy, interesting that you said you had a Volvo before your new MINI. I drove a Volvo for 20 years before I got Mrs. Peel. I was concerned at first but I have no regrets. Well, maybe one, I don't know what I would do if I had to ever get rid of her!!! Would be like giving away an arm or a leg.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:56 AM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only other vehicle I have ever owned (and still own) with such long lasting satisfaction of ownership as my Mini, would have to be my 1978 Motobecane Mirage. Anyone else ever own one of those?

Old 04-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Sissy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Neverfifty
Sissy, interesting that you said you had a Volvo before your new MINI. I drove a Volvo for 20 years before I got Mrs. Peel. I was concerned at first but I have no regrets. Well, maybe one, I don't know what I would do if I had to ever get rid of her!!! Would be like giving away an arm or a leg.
I had a 1995 850 Wagon. It was a great car, but I'd never gotten over my love for small cars. I feel as safe in the MINI as I did in the Volvo. My only concern was the thought that it might not be comfortable on a long road trip. My sister lives in Ingleside, which is about 7 - 8 hours from Fort Worth. Flo and I made the trip in October w/o any problems except that I could almost make it on one tank of gas. Never realized how stopping for gas fillups can break up a trip.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:55 AM
findude
4th Gear
We kept out 1996 Volvo when we got the MCS, this way the kids can drive the Volvo when they get their licenses and we can drive the MINI! We love it still. The only downside, and this is the ONLY negative I report to people who ask me how we like it, is the inconvenience of distance to the dealership. That is a logistical issue based on where we live, where we work, and the dealer location. We still love the car.

Given the increased price of premium gas, I've wondered if I would buy an MC instead of an MCS if I had to replace it tomorrow, and I probably would. The MCS is a blast to drive, but we seldom push it to the performance limit an an extra MPG represent about a 20% increase in mileage between the 06 MCS and the 07 MC. Then again, if they offered the diesel MINI in the US I'd camp out at the dealer to be first in line . . . .

Old 04-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Sissy
4th Gear
Choosing between the MC and the MCS was a difficult decision. I was back and forth. Finally decided on the MCS because it seemed to me that I had to shift more often in the MC, the mpg on the MCS wasn't that much less than that on the MC, and I don't have a very long drive to work every day. Also, I was already accustomed to buying premium gas for Ollie (the Volvo). If I constrain myself, Flo gets decent mpg.

Old 04-16-2007, 04:59 PM
fett
Neutral
Novelty

The novelty will NEVER wear off for me! Had it for 2 years and this car gets cooler every day!!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 PM
trentf
2nd Gear
2 years and 6.5 months later.....

the novelty is still as strong! The MINI is the only car I have ever owned that has not lost it's novelty. It looks amazing. It drives amazing. It gets great gas mileage. Other people love it. Kids love it. Girlfriend loves it. Girlfriend's grandparents love it. Our dog loves it.

I regret the day that I will ever have to let my MINI go. I have looked at otehr cars, like the Lotus Elise, and yes, it is an awesome car, but it just lacks the "fun" that the MINI exudes.

Motor Happy!