General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The (MINI) Big Lie

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 01:33 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The (MINI) Big Lie

"I'm keeping it stock." "Stock is great for me." "I like everything stock, no need to change it."

Bull.

While there are a number of NAMers who take pride in their stock-ness, I have personally fallen into the mod-o-matic. I remember clearly telling my Motoring Advisor at delivery, "I'm just going to drive it stock for a while. Then I may change a couple of little things. But I'm not going to go crazy."

Kinda like "I'll just have one beer" or "What wet T-shirt? I didn't see any wet T-Shirt" or "I didn't inhale." Except when I said it, I really thought it was TRUE.

This, my friends, is the MINI Big Lie. I confess. I said it. And thought it was truth when I spoke it. Who else? Fess up.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:38 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I swore off mechanical mods until my warranty expired in Dec 08.
But NOOOooooOOOoooo I had to start yakking in the stupid MODding at the Dragon thread & now I'm getting a pulley installed at the Dragon in May.
Damn Damn Damn

Old 02-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modding kind of depends on goals. If you run SCCA Solos, you tend to keep any modding within the limits of the class you want to run in.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:13 PM
lotsie
Banned
Started with front mud flaps. Going to install a shortshifter soon. I would love to put a hefty sway bar on soon too.

Mark

Old 02-20-2007, 02:18 PM
trackster
5th Gear
That lasted about 9 days for me . Warrenty was pretty much shot at the two week point You got to have fun !

Old 02-20-2007, 02:29 PM
MOE4me
3rd Gear
Well, let's see...I had my Ipod adaptor and shorty antenna in hand and ready to install prior to receiving my MINI from the dealer. I thought I'd be happy for a while.

About a month later, I was getting tired of not having a convienient place to put my sunglasses and wallet. So I put in the Euro parcel shelf and got the windows tinted. I thought I'd be happy for a while.

I found NAM about the time that I put my MINI away for winter storage. The combination of that and storing my MINI indoors where I work was, well, let's just say that I quickly threw my no-mods resolution out the window.

15% pully, Miltek catback, JCW CAI, M7 stb, driving/fog lights, braided brake lines.

I think I may be happy for a while...

Old 02-20-2007, 06:10 PM
89AKurt
6th Gear
I succumbed. It was after I paid off the bank (thank you very much).

Old 02-20-2007, 06:16 PM
UKDragon
Iguana Tamer
yeah....so much for waiting for the warranty to expire. I got my
hands on a free pulley then shelled out the cash to install it.
I just couldnt bear staring at the thing on my desk instead of
using it in my car....

Old 02-20-2007, 06:20 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did a few little mods right off the bat...things like a shorty antenna...not much more. I drive a Cooper so there were not great hp gains to be had. Actually, my MINI modded me...I just drove the car and learned to love it more and more as I observed it's motoring-capability "as is"!!! I don't think of it as a lie, of course, but there is a prevailing culture of modding that is easy to get sucked into and, frankly, I often lament. It's a great hobby for some, no doubt....fine. But it's not essential and I have met owners who seemed to think it was.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:25 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Scheduled my first factory oil change and checkup today. Now I'm thinking what bits I need to remove before taking it in. The Mini is just so damn mod-friendly!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gokartride
I did a few little mods right off the bat...things like a shorty antenna...not much more. I drive a Cooper so there were not great hp gains to be had. Actually, my MINI modded me...I just drove the car and learned to love it more and more as I observed it's motoring-capability "as is"!!! I don't think of it as a lie, of course, but there is a prevailing culture of modding that is easy to get sucked into and, frankly, I often lament. It's a great hobby for some, no doubt....fine. But it's not essential and I have met owners who seemed to think it was.
What you lack in mods you make up for in Detailing

Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 PM
abuzavi
6th Gear
I'm with Blimey. Drove an S and loved it as is. While it was on order (and I was on a long business trip), I started to order parts. Simple things. Cosmetic, i told myself.

iPod adapter. Strut tower plates. Stubby antenna. Flaming shifter ****. Stuff like that.

Now I have a chance to have help (and tools) to do a pulley install, so I ordered one. It's the opportunity -- how could I pass this up? And the OCC I also ordered? It's for the long term health of the car. I don't want that -- the car needs that; I'm just protecting my investment!

I swear -- the Koni's and springs will wait.... until when, I dunno, but I'm gonna wait to do them.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:20 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Heck, I didn't even really know what mods were until I became part of the MINI cult back in 2002! Thanks to our community, I've learned a tremendous amount about automotive culture and have modded Wicked Wanda gradually. It's been a great adventure!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:42 AM
daflake
6th Gear
My names Daflake and I'm a mod addict....

It all started with a simple mod of the ICElink PLus after that, my bank account has never been the same.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:33 AM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
Nope, none for me, I love my ride just like she is. I've been down the mod road when I bracket raced a 12 second 70 Cougar. Loads of fun back then ! I love the driving part and washing and polishing has become a great stress relief.

Hats off to you guys that do, enjoy !

Mike

Old 02-21-2007, 05:44 AM
mozzarella
Banned
Let see I put the pulley on at 1250 miles the CAI at 2000, sway bar at 2500, tires at 5000, catback, brakes and Unichip at 7500, I've changed the oil twice and the first service is in about 2000 miles. I've not touched the interior so I guess they'll fix the couple of trim pieces that fell off. lol

Old 02-21-2007, 06:00 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Motor On
What you lack in mods you make up for in Detailing
Sadly, this is true. The Scalextric stuff hasn't helped either.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 AM
Aquasar
6th Gear
I started with the side marker lights all the way to my new exhaust.

Art

Old 02-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Foxtrot_Xray
3rd Gear
..I WANT to do more mods.. but I lack the money.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:58 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
I did a track session last summer with my stock '06 MCS. Just 1. I got addicted. Then the tax return came. Got . . to save . . it . . , yeah right. I am planning on spending twice my return to prepare the car for the track this year. Pulley, intake, exhaust, sway bar, camber plates, BBK, wheels, and UHP tires. That is in addition to all the interior items I have done (wrapped almost everything in leather).

Just give in. It is easier on the mind (but not the wallet).

Old 02-21-2007, 09:09 AM
heater
2nd Gear
I've on'y done little cosmetic things so far. An enamel badge, JC signatures on the stripes, mud flaps, etc.
The first mod I'll be doing performance wise is for myself. Driver School!!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:17 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SpitfireMkI
Nope, none for me, I love my ride just like she is. I've been down the mod road when I bracket raced a 12 second 70 Cougar. Loads of fun back then ! I love the driving part and washing and polishing has become a great stress relief.

Hats off to you guys that do, enjoy !

Mike
I see you're a first gear member...I'll wager that you'll never make it past 4th without eating your words...

Old 02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
leapfrog
2nd Gear
My wife had her 05 MCS for 10 months,then she decided she wanted different wheels(it had run-flats/s-lites).So I talked her in to tires as well.Then we met West Coast MINIs.It seems like every month we have a "Mod-Squad"where we are doing mods on MINIs.Mods are addicting!Now I have her car,she has an 05 Cabrio S,and we both keep on buying all kinds of stuff!It's nice to share this addiction!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I see you're a first gear member...I'll wager that you'll never make it past 4th without eating your words...
I'll take some of that action...

Oh, and i've been "done" with my car for about a year or so, yea right. I don't even see the end in sight.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:55 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I'll take some of that too...

Quick Reply: The (MINI) Big Lie