General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is MINI Losing the plot?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 03:43 PM
shelzmike
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is MINI Losing the plot?

Not trying to start a flame war or anything as this could be polarizing, but I sort of feel it might not be that far off. Maybe I am just an "old" dude at 45 and don't care to "keep up with the times" or wtf ever. I had to bring it up though, to see if I am alone in my thoughts here. So, I will start out by saying I love MINI (classic and rebirth gens) and is probably the only I am really ever brand loyal to for the sake of it. I have been looking a bit to get a second MINI for DD because I am really after a Countryman S ALL4 JCW and finally looking into it. Will still be keeping my R56 for sure. Anyway, as I have been looking, Gen 1, Gen 2 have that MINI aesthetic we all know what I am referring to; however, especially after 2020 IMO, I find myself looking at all these MINIs, SE's including, thinking WTF? No manual anymore (I get this may be temporary, but let's face it, I think they are done except in many a few niche models). The styling and colors seems to be getting worse on many of the models, far more than before. As it stands right now, except for the some Cooper S hardtops and JCW's, I couldn't fathom anything after 2020 simply due to the fact that what has made MINI..well, MINI, seems to be fading a little at a time and I maybe it is a gut thing, but I don't like where it is heading. I think performance is still great mostly, and interior styling is pretty classic and not changed much, but the form factors, shapes, and sizes of the exteriors are just kinda depressing. I do have some specific models in mind, but I ain't gonna come on here and **** on them bc I am sure there are many of you all who own and love those I don't like. Everyone can like what they like, I have no problem with that, and this surely is a very subjective topic, but was just curious if I am alone in this feeling, or is there a silent and not-so-silent majority who feels what I am putting down here?

Old 11-30-2023, 05:35 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
I have owned 2 R56S'S and 3 F56's( 1 S and 2 JCWs) There is nothing better about the R56 series. Not handling, not engine, and certainly not quality of build.

Last edited by dpcompt; 11-30-2023 at 05:37 PM. Reason: correction
The following users liked this post:
shelzmike (11-30-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 05:26 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
The purchase of our new 2006 R53 was our first and will now be our last MINI. They will have to pry the keys out of my hand as I am dragged off to the home.

Last edited by buzzsaw; 12-01-2023 at 08:10 AM.
shelzmike (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 06:35 AM
maccoder
3rd Gear
Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
@shelzmike you've hit the nail on the head - this is a polarizing topic. But maybe that's a good thing? Means we do care a lot about brand.
You are saying that almost anything after 2020 is not the MINI as it used to be, but I recall exact same comments about many models that we drive today. People started saying that calling these cars MINI is an oxymoron due to their size a long time ago. And there is a point to it - every new generation is bigger than the previous one. Yet there are factors that can't simply be ignored - safety standards, cutting production costs, to name a few. At the same time if we look around - all cars are getting bigger. Good thing MINI is still one of the smallest cars on the road. I remember Countryman was met with harsh criticism when it was launched back in 2010 mainly because it was the "opposite of what MINI is supposed to be". But for many, including myself, that was the model that finally allowed to pull the trigger and get a MINI. I always wanted one, but having a family, it was nowhere close to being practical to get the hardtop. Now that kid is all grown up I am a happy owner of R56S with manual, which I intend to drive while it keeps moving. And I agree, some of the newer models look a bit strange to me. But I believe that's fine. We can love or hate some new styles. The most important thing is these cars manage to remain unmistakably MINI. This is still the most recognizable brand on the road. Majority of people, even the ones that are not into cars that much, would be able to tell that it's MINI even from the distance.
I recently stumbled upon an article that makes a great point - there are some models in the MINI lineup that aren't exactly representing the "original brand essence" but they are playing an important role. They target certain customers with specific needs and generate sales which in turn allow for brand to stay alive and offer some niche models for hard core MINI gear heads. I am just asking myself a question - if MINI was only making hardtops with manual transmission that I love so much, would it still exist today?

shelzmike (12-01-2023)
Old 12-01-2023, 07:03 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 369 Likes on 312 Posts
What would Sir Alec have to say? The 1st gen itself is a far reach from Hopkirk's Morris Mini.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:16 AM
gauss66
3rd Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
I have seen this exact same conversation, with a lot more depth, passion and arguing on which 911 is the best ( this is one car that has gotten bigger, more comfortable, faster, more technical ... over time. BTW - I have a 997.1 that I swear is the best year LOL. Not because it is the fastest or most comfortable, but because it's the body style I like the most and the feel seems more to be one with the road .... ).

I love the looks of R57s, especially with JCW body parts.

BTW - Rock and Roll has evolved too !

Old 12-04-2023, 09:54 AM
shelzmike
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maccoder
@shelzmike you've hit the nail on the head - this is a polarizing topic. But maybe that's a good thing? Means we do care a lot about brand.
You are saying that almost anything after 2020 is not the MINI as it used to be, but I recall exact same comments about many models that we drive today. People started saying that calling these cars MINI is an oxymoron due to their size a long time ago. And there is a point to it - every new generation is bigger than the previous one. Yet there are factors that can't simply be ignored - safety standards, cutting production costs, to name a few. At the same time if we look around - all cars are getting bigger. Good thing MINI is still one of the smallest cars on the road. I remember Countryman was met with harsh criticism when it was launched back in 2010 mainly because it was the "opposite of what MINI is supposed to be". But for many, including myself, that was the model that finally allowed to pull the trigger and get a MINI. I always wanted one, but having a family, it was nowhere close to being practical to get the hardtop. Now that kid is all grown up I am a happy owner of R56S with manual, which I intend to drive while it keeps moving. And I agree, some of the newer models look a bit strange to me. But I believe that's fine. We can love or hate some new styles. The most important thing is these cars manage to remain unmistakably MINI. This is still the most recognizable brand on the road. Majority of people, even the ones that are not into cars that much, would be able to tell that it's MINI even from the distance.
I recently stumbled upon an article that makes a great point - there are some models in the MINI lineup that aren't exactly representing the "original brand essence" but they are playing an important role. They target certain customers with specific needs and generate sales which in turn allow for brand to stay alive and offer some niche models for hard core MINI gear heads. I am just asking myself a question - if MINI was only making hardtops with manual transmission that I love so much, would it still exist today?
Dang, this is probably one of the best responses I have heard on the subject matter. I mean, yes, it is common sense for sure; however, it's not very common so the response is refreshing. I guess you are right, they need to appeal to a wide audience, even within the nuanced space,. in order to stay alive. I guess I may be focusing on the weird aspects that I don't like so they seem to be more ubiquitous than they really are. I also think that by my very search currently, I am sort of proving your point, in a way. I used to be pretty hardcore 2 door (S or even not), manual. i was initially in the Countryman-is-not-MINI camp for years because of this. However, now I am literally looking to buy a 2020 Countryman JCW Auto bc..well you all know why from a performance standpoint, but also I realized it's still unique, far more interesting, and fun, especially when you can get a not-white color! (My R56 is Pepper White + Checker so I can say this lol). While I certainly don't want MINI to keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger, I guess I (we) need to realize that MINI is a brand and not just a size, per se. There is so much more to a MINI than the size, though it still should remain part of the equation. So long as they bring back the manual at the very least in 2 door hardtops, I think we'll be OK. Your comment about MINI's being one of the (if not THE) most recognizable brands on the road was not only interesting but very true. I mean, sure most people know a Corvette stingray, or a 911, but when you get into the more nuanced models that are fully different, most people don't recognize them but with a MINI...doesn't matter what gen, what model, what trim ,nearly everyone knows them to be MINI. Finally, don't get me wrong, I love MINIs and also like older vehicles by and large, so as long as I can still work on them, get parts, and they are running, I'll own at lest 1!

Originally Posted by gauss66

BTW - Rock and Roll has evolved too !
Oh no, that might not be helping the conversation! Because you are right, but at each iteration, it has been good but since mid 00's it's been seemingly slowly getting worse too! (But of course, this is not true, it is just getting a little harder to come across new rock that doesn't come across as making you feel old in some ways!)

maccoder (12-04-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 09:50 PM
Onizukachan
4th Gear
Received 353 Likes on 223 Posts
I wouldn’t touch an r56 with a 39& 1/2 pole, but at least they look like a mini still.
After that they are just junk, outside and in. and I’d rather have the x1 they are based on or another 328d wagon for far less money. Frankly the 328d wagon out handles, out cargo capacities, amd way out mpg’s any of the modern minis and costs less than the Maxi Coopers.
What they charge for these post 2006 abortions and abominations of design is asinine. I’m not surprised they are gone from my area entirely, instead of 8 miles away, nearest dealership is 8 hours away now.

I bought an r53 for fun town in driving, but even they get ***** mpg. About the same as a loaded same year Tahoe 5.3 v8 at 73-75, some 22-23 mpg. I’ve not seen a mini yet that approaches 45+ mpg at 80. So why buy a small car, if it cost more, does less, and doesn’t return thr mpg numbers? For the retro experience…
but post 06 the softened and bigger fied them to go after other market segments and completely lost the idea behind the reboot. Like the newest matrix movie, they totally miss the original point.

Old 12-11-2023, 07:37 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 369 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Onizukachan
I wouldn’t touch an r56 with a 39& 1/2 pole, but at least they look like a mini still.
After that they are just junk, outside and in. and I’d rather have the x1 they are based on or another 328d wagon for far less money. Frankly the 328d wagon out handles, out cargo capacities, amd way out mpg’s any of the modern minis and costs less than the Maxi Coopers.
What they charge for these post 2006 abortions and abominations of design is asinine. I’m not surprised they are gone from my area entirely, instead of 8 miles away, nearest dealership is 8 hours away now.

I bought an r53 for fun town in driving, but even they get ***** mpg. About the same as a loaded same year Tahoe 5.3 v8 at 73-75, some 22-23 mpg. I’ve not seen a mini yet that approaches 45+ mpg at 80. So why buy a small car, if it cost more, does less, and doesn’t return thr mpg numbers? For the retro experience…
but post 06 the softened and bigger fied them to go after other market segments and completely lost the idea behind the reboot. Like the newest matrix movie, they totally miss the original point.
My good friend sent me the listing of the '25 models. I responded to him that I was inspired, inspired to keep my li'l guy in top working condition. They look like nothing more than Detroit grocery getters.