R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Would you have gone with a MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would you have gone with a MINI?

For a long time, the MINI was my dream car. I never expected BMW to buy the rights to the company and revive the brand. I wound up getting a Clubman and I just looove it! However, I still ask myself if I'd be driving a MINI today if the second generation hadn't come about.

Would you be driving a MINI if the second generation hadn't been born? Is the parts issue the biggest stumbling block for you? It was for me. I decided to not spend time looking for replacement parts online if stuck with the original version. I don't know for sure if I'd be driving a MINI today if there was only one generation around. On the other hand, at least I have my dream car!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Well, as a 3 time 1st gen MINI owner I would say that I still prefer the looks, character and driving demeanor of the first generation over the new 2nd gen MINIs. I also own a Clubman S and I love it. But to me 1st and 2nd gen cars are completely different beasts.

BMW nailed the 1st gen cars to perfection. They are a very worthy successor to the original 1959-2000 Issigonis Mini. BMW managed to capture the quirky spirit of the original on a 21st century package. The design details are exquisite (Both inside and out) and the noises the car makes are the right ones. The supercharger whine, the exhaust burble, the firm/tight steering, the go-kart reflexes, the firm suspension, the new MINIs look bloated, no more clamshell hood with the headlights attached, etc.

The second generation MINI is a car with a different underlying philosophy. MINI wanted to reduce manufacturing costs, increase profits and make the car more palatable to a much bigger market audience. If you drive a 1st gen MINI Cooper S, the car is "brutal", noisy and rides harsh. For people coming from SUVs, Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys that was a huge turn off. The first gen was more of an enthusiast car and not a car really aimed at the everyday driver looking for comfort and road noise insulation.

So MINI, for the second generation, decided to make the car more refined and easier to live with on a daily basis. Not a bad thing per se, but in the process they did sacrifice some of the quirkiness, visceral feeling and the character that had made the first car such a success. When I drive my Clubman (And I emphasize the point that I love driving it) I feel more like behind the wheel of a BMW than a MINI. In my 2005 R53 S I feel more like driving a Rover MINI than a BMW. Totally opposite feel.

So if you look at the second gen cars from a "purist" perspective, you will say that the new MINIs and contrived and compromised cars. They are damn fine cars, but they are more akin to a BMW 3 series than to a classic Mini. Some of the "original flavor" has been lost in name of refinement and increased sales/market share.

Conversely, if you look at the R53 from the perspective of the R56 owner, he or she would say that the first BMW MINIs don't have much low end torque, have noisy/low tech Brazilian made Chrysler powerplants, ride harsher, don't have as many toys/gizmos, the seats are uncomfortable, fuel economy is not as good, etc, etc. Its all a matter of perspective.

If you have not driven a 2002-2006 MINI hardtop (Especially an S model), I encourage you to do so. Find out for yourself. You may or may not love the car. Some folks have comeback from the R56 into the R53 and viceversa. Some folks prefer the newer cars due to better fuel mileage and more refined manners.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preference. I love both cars but my favorite is still my R53 S.

Last edited by ClubmanS; 02-19-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect that beasleyboy's post was intended to mean Classic vs. BMW-owned... not specifically 1st Gen vs. 2nd Gen of the BMW-owned models.

I may be wrong though, and I'm sure beasleyboy will clarify it. Either way, great post ClubmanS - I think you summed up the difference between the BMW-owned generations very well, and very diplomatically.

Different people prefer each generation of MINI for different (and valid) reasons, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I am trying to understand your parts availability comments. The first gen BMW MINI (2001-2008) is officially out of production, but BMW will maintain spare parts available for at least 15 years. So it is very likely than in the year 2023 you will still be able to get spare parts for your first gen BMW MINI.

If you are talking about a Classic Mini (1959-2000) made by either BMC or Rover.... Well remember that Minis were sold just for a few years in the US until 1968. The Issigonis Mini has always been a novelty car and fairly rare compared, to say, a classic aircooled VW Bug. Here in Miami there is a very established shop that imports, sells and repairs classic Minis. Parts for what I have heard from Classic owners are easy or difficult to come by depending upon what you looking for. But for the most part Classic Minis are purely hobby/weekend cars. I am sure there are a few nuts out there that depend on them as daily drivers, but still..

Old 02-19-2009, 01:21 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
I suspect that beasleyboy's post was intended to mean Classic vs. BMW-owned... not specifically 1st Gen vs. 2nd Gen of the BMW-owned models.

I may be wrong though, and I'm sure beasleyboy will clarify it. Either way, great post ClubmanS - I think you summed up the difference between the BMW-owned generations very well, and very diplomatically.

Different people prefer each generation of MINI for different (and valid) reasons, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Hey Edge, I realized this after re-reading his post. Still, since the 1st gen BMW MINI is officially out of production (Both hardtop and convertible) I am sure some prospect would-be R53 owners would have the parts availability question somewhere in the back of their minds.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
minibeel
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
I would definitely be driving my 03 MCS. I would not have gotten into the pre-2000 Mini though. I needed a new car; this one is fuel efficient, sporty and fun. And... it was reasonably priced at the time. I have one gripe now however.

The MC and MCS are fine as front-drivers with plenty of HP for sportiness at $25k and under. They are excellent choices and a definite "maybe" for my next car. None the less, I think MINI has hit the rev-limiter on its current version. With JCW cars going for $30k and very easy to hit $35k... too much money, too little fun. At that price range, the next step must be taken: all-wheel drive, lotsa' more horses. For me to get back into a MINI... I might want a Works car with mid/upper-200's in HP and an all-wheel drive system for the price. That would inspire me to stick around.

I still love my 03 MCS. No doubt about that.

dan

Old 02-19-2009, 01:54 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
MINIbeel. I could not agree more. MINI has priced themselves out of the market with the new cars. The value/performance equation that favored the 1st gen cars has been lost. I think BMW has gotten a little too greedy with the current models and the overall success of MINI has clouded their better judgment (Witness the hideous R60 MINI SUV coming next year at nearly $40K).

Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Silverbullit
6th Gear
I have to agree that BMW has gone over the edge on pricing. A few weeks back I had my MCS in for a minor problem and while waiting I looked in
the MINI showroom and they had a CR JCW with all the good stuff and bells and whistles,48K and some change. That's Corvette country. Why out of my price range!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
If you are talking about classic Minis, I can definitely say I wouldn't be driving one. They were still available new when I was still in the UK, they were just too small for my liking, I considered it and moved onto something bigger. I like cars about the size of the new MINI. The BMW style MINI is just about perfect for me.

If you're talking R50/R53, we've already moved on from there. The possibility of increasing costs was one reason we moved on, that and I think the R56 MC is quite a bit better than the R50, not least in that it comes with a 6 speed.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:56 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I'm talking about the original Issigonis Mini vs the current generation. I thought for a while about searching for parts and fixing up a used one. However, your reply was very interesting reading. Thanks for sharing that info. Even when my car finally breaks down, I'll probably either fix it to get it running again or buy another MINI. It's just a fun car to drive.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Victa
2nd Gear
bought my mini in november... best present i have ever gotten for myself!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I originally wanted a classic Mini.

After some thought, I decided to go for the BMW MINI instead, mostly because a classic Mini in the shape I'd like would be likely to cost nearly as much as a lightly used MINI.

I wanted something I could drive everyday, and I couldn't bear the thought of driving a nearly pristine Mini on a daily basis in Alaska.

I'll have a classic Mini someday...

Old 02-19-2009, 05:32 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
The only classics I would drive would have to be as new as 1999-2000. Still a nice car but safetywise, it is 1950s technology.

Besides, I already think of my R53 as a classic.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:20 PM
minibeel
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Perhaps, when $$ is less of an issue and I have more garage space, a nice classic S or a modern Honda-engined model of the classic would be awesome. There is something really neat about the simplicity of the original. It had simple lines, simple engineering (albeit revolutionary at the time) and it was a simple concept. I don't mind the unusual smallness of the classic. I am a small guy.

dan

Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM
MoxieMini
6th Gear
I probably would have gotten an EVO. I almost did.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minibeel
Perhaps, when $$ is less of an issue and I have more garage space, a nice classic S or a modern Honda-engined model of the classic would be awesome. There is something really neat about the simplicity of the original. It had simple lines, simple engineering (albeit revolutionary at the time) and it was a simple concept. I don't mind the unusual smallness of the classic. I am a small guy.

dan

In a classic what truly worries me are all the SUV morons around me

Old 02-20-2009, 04:52 AM
mini coop
6th Gear
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
As I understand it and seems clarified - classic mini pre 2001; first generation 2001 -2006; second generation 2007-2009. I would not own a classic; I like the headlights and sloping hood better on the first generation (better mods on the first also); like the engine better on the second generation as well as the interior design. Question? Why don't second gener's modify their cars as much as first gener's?

Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
I probably would not be driving a MINI if the "First Generation" hadn't come along. I "discovered" my '05 MINI Cooper in Consumer Reports magazine while searching for fuel efficiency. I had my sights set on a Mazda Miata and then I saw the MINI.
From the moment I saw the picture I was fixated on the vehicle... took a test drive the next day and within 10 minutes had placed an order. I honestly didn't really know much of the Classic Mini... but I do appreciate them much like I appreciate the ****** Jeep as being the original JEEP. It's about respect for the old but appreciating the quality of the new.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
I am expecting that my R53 will someday BE a new "classic." My 2004 MCS is the most fun car I have ever owned. It is a daily driver now, with 72K miles on it. My plan is to get into something else in a couple of years as a daily driver so that my beloved R53 can then become a pampered weekend/hobby/track car.

When it comes to high-end, high-performance cars, that is another issue. I've test-driven and often thought about EVOs and STIs/WRXs but even though they are great performers, for the street I think they just don't offer as much everyday FUN. There is just something about the feel of the MINI that I haven't found in other cars I've driven, even those that are truly "better" performers.

DISCLAIMER: although I have NOT had a chance to drive either a modern Lotus or an Atom, they are a bit above my price range anyway. The '65 BRG Lotus Elan that a buddy of mine had back in the day was crazy fun, BUT he had to park it pointing downhill. Lucas, you know.

I have a friend who bought a Porsche Turbo a couple of years ago. Now he says he regrets it, even though he only drives it on weekends. He says he finds it frustrating to almost NEVER be able to really drive the car hard. He's now sorry that he "traded fun for status."

For me, I guess the old adage that it's more fun to "drive a slow car fast, than drive a fast car slow" holds true.

I've even thought about "upgrading" to a 2006 R53 at some point, but now I don't think so. Though 2006 is probably the best that the new MINI will ever be, as far as "enthusiast" "brutal" "go-kart-like" vehicles go, 2004 is close enough for me. I'm planning to keep and care for my '04 R53 'til death (or disability) do us part.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:44 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
>>it's more fun to "drive a slow car fast, than drive a fast car slow"<<

Very good line!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini coop
As I understand it and seems clarified - classic mini pre 2001; first generation 2001 -2006; second generation 2007-2009. I would not own a classic; I like the headlights and sloping hood better on the first generation (better mods on the first also); like the engine better on the second generation as well as the interior design. Question? Why don't second gener's modify their cars as much as first gener's?
With the second gen MINI, BMW has made it more difficult for owners and the aftermarket to extract loads of additional performance out of the Peugeot Prince engine. There are mods, but the car so far, has proven to be challenging in this area. When the R56 was about to be launched people had this belief that the turbo engine was an easy "chipping" away and presto 300HP + right off the bat. Not so fast

In the first gen, the TRITEC engine was an old school SOHC cast iron block engine, much easier to mod, more bulletproof (The Prince engine is aluminum, plus direct fuel injection, VANOS, etc) and simply a more friendly platform for hard core turners.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:05 AM
H82WRK
3rd Gear
I would not have gotten a MINI had I not been dragged to the BMW dealership by my husband to look at used BMWs.

Well once I saw the MINIs I said "this is what I want!".

It was like someone was listening directly to me when they designed this car, it had everything I wanted, goofy switches, and was just plan fun.

I ordered my 2006 Cooper and was happy for two years until I realized how disappointing the lack of power was. I attempted to look into purchasing a used S but the prices at the dealer were stupid and at that time the private party values were pretty high as well.

Oh yeah during this time, my husband purchased a 2nd gen. Mini Cooper S. Haha, my addiction caught! But he was looking to sell his about the same time that I was getting disappointed with mine.

He traded his in on an 06 350Z and I can understand why, it fits him better. Well I got power envy and decided I also needed a faster car and traded my Cooper on an 06 350Z roadster.

As soon as I picked up the roadster I could not stop thinking about my Cooper! I thought I would be OK, I mean I still had my 1967 Mini right?

Wrong! You can't drive a classic everyday, well I suppose you could but it would get expensive. My classic has been a pure pleasure to own, much more reliable than my Austin Healey Sprite was. However, it is a 40 year old vehicle and while the 1380 keeps up in traffic, there is no AC and no creature comforts, you have to worry when you park it and leave it alone (ok I do anyways).

So all this time driving back and forth to work in the Z I just wish I had my MINI then I could have the MINI fun during the week and have Mini fun on the weekend!

End of story, I had the Z four months before I found my 2006 Cooper S. I took a little hit but not as bad as expected and to be honest I don't care if it would have cost me more $ I would have done it in a minute. I love MINIs!!!

Wow, didn't mean to type that much!

Old 02-20-2009, 06:09 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Hehe. I saw the pics of your R52 S convertible. Beautiful car.

Question.....Why didn't you get a second gen R57 S?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:11 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveTinNY

Very good line!
+1

In a country with speed limits I really never understood the purpose of owning a street vehicle capable of sub 200MPH speeds. Whenever I see Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris (I believe me I see my fair share here everyday in Miami) I wonder how frustrating must be to be driving these beasts in a) Grid lock traffic and b) when the traffic is barely moving you can't go past 50MPH.

What a waste of money! But I guess the status and "look at me" factors more than make up for it.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Classic Mini in a nutshell, and a great philosophy. If I were to own a small car of that "generation", though, I think it'd be a gen 1 Rabbit, caged and built for the track, but presentable and streetable. (that's the "A1" to VW cognescenti). Parts are easier to come by, and with the right engine choice (and a nose-to-tail rewiring!!) it's as reliable as an aluminum billet and almost as fun as a classic. Different breed of owner, though.

Well, that or a well-done Honda-engined Classic - now you're talking, but you're also talking larger dollars.

Or... maybe a Volvo P1800...

Quick Reply: R50/53 Would you have gone with a MINI?