General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI-e The 2020 Electric MINI thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:58 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
MINI-e The 2020 Electric MINI thread

I have been given the honour of the purchasing rights to the first MINI-e to Canada when it arrives in 2020. I can’t tell you how stoked I am. I’m not a stranger to EV’s, having spent 2 years with my 2016 Focus Electric and loving every minute.

I’ve started a Facebook page for enthusiasts to follow along with the journey and related items (feel free to join us https://www.facebook.com/groups/MINIelectric/ )

At at some point, hopefully we can add a section to NAM for the Electrics (or did I miss it?).

With luck, this thread can remain a positive and an educational one, and those with negative or non-productive things to say will refrain from commenting in this one.

So, who’s with me for the electrifying ride?

Old 08-11-2018, 04:11 PM
jamez
5th Gear
There are a few sticky points about moving to an electric MINI.

We will have to take a moment to mourn the loss of our driving companion; the manual gearbox, along with the lovely pop and burble that will forever be no more (sound generator anyone?).

As an R53 owner and enthusiast, both have been part and parcel of the MINI experience. The supercharger whine, and integration into the drive really matter. But the $60/week of Petrol is quite annoying when I can drive a month with my FFE for $30.

On the other side; The experience of commuting in an EV is so nice. It is smooth, quiet and very relaxing. Even in my Cheap FFE, it’s so quiet that you don’t need to have the stereo up that loud, reducing the overall noise and (believe it or not; stress). If you haven’t driven in an EV, find a buddy with one and give it a try sometime.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:51 PM
jamez
5th Gear
I intend on taking the MINI-e with me to a stack of events in the area, The Glenn, The Mac and perhaps even the dragon may be possible, but will take serious planning and additional time given (what I suspect will be) the low range. If you have any event suggestions, let me know and I’ll try to figure it out.

For the first (second really if we count the R56 e-Mini) generation, they are using the F56 platform and shoehorning the current i3 system (hopefully i3s) into the space. It’s not an ideal solution, and they’ll likely redesign it in 2022. Remember this is a modified city car, not a custom EV from the ground up. I suspect it won’t have more than 200 mile range as it will have to compete in the market (to put that in perspective my 2016 FFE has an 80mi range). With luck they’ll create a modular skateboard system that can be used for other body styles, that will allow for a more efficient traction pack layout.

I’m going to throw some complete guesses out there (we’ll see how close I am when it comes out)
Performance will be adequate for the first model. But less than the JCW equivalent. I’m guessing 0-60 in the 6.5 range
I’m going to guess it will have an additional 600lbs to tote around, a porky 3500lb, but the placement of the weight low down will allow for a very sticky feel (with the right rubber - but they will throw high efficiency rubber on it from the factory to maximize the efficiency ratings).

for the second gen, BMW has hinted at their EV plans, and with more luck, Solid State batteries will be in the market.

Price will also become a problem for MINI. It really should be a base Justa +$13K CAD for the electrics (EV’s are NOT complicated), but I suspect that they’ll package it to the point that it will be in the JCW territory. They won’t do well if they’re over the market comparables of $35K CAD. I fully expect that this car is going to cost $50K CAD (which is sad, as that is in line with many other higher level EV’s like Volvo’ssoon-to-be lineup)

Next problem will be the tech toys.
Over the Air updates would be brilliant, and certainly EVERY manufacturer should move to them, but I suspect that they’re not there yet.
it better come with a connected system. If Ford can have a fantastic one since 2012, MINI better (along the lines of BMW’s). I take it for granted that my FFE is connected to the internet so I can see where it is, the charge level and status, but not all EV’s do (looking at you Hyundai Canada).

Back on the sound problem again, in 2019, legislation will be in place for all EV’s traveling below 15kph to generate an audible two-tone noise. Because THAT’s just what we need. Might as well accept it though, as I hack that puppy to emit a Jetson sound.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:50 AM
BRLowry
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’ve been doing a lot of research on EV’s lately, and I’m all in. My days of driving ICE cars will soon be over. Here’s a new article with a first drive of the Cooper SE. Congrats on your upcoming purchase Jamez. I look forward to reading your comments.

It would be nice to have the administrators of NAM add a section for the electrics.

https://insideevs.com/mini-cooper-se...c-first-drive/

Old 03-13-2019, 05:05 AM
BRLowry
1st Gear
I just came across this first drive from Car and Driver. They say it will only weigh 284 lbs. more than a base Cooper.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ototype-drive/

Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
no thanks

Old 03-13-2019, 07:41 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
I've been warming to the idea of an electric MINI as a commuter car to and from work, though the acceleration in this initial version is disappointing to me. If the next gen car has a motor at each wheel and accelerates faster than the JCW, it could be a ton of fun. I worry that I would get bored driving it pretty fast.

Some days I think an electric MINI would be cool, other days I think the rumored 300HP Clubman would be cool, and the rest of the time I want a JCW Hardtop with a manual transmission. I'll be driving my Countryman for a few more years, so it's all theoretical at this point anyway.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
VW ID is launching in Europe this year. From the little bit of info put out that I read it looks like the MINI will be lacking unless the MINI has some extra range they have not yet disclosed. In holding pattern for me. Electric suits 90% of my driving habits.

The largest battery for the VW will give over 300 miles of range. MINI are you paying attention?

Old 03-18-2019, 04:22 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by BRLowry
I just came across this first drive from Car and Driver. They say it will only weigh 284 lbs. more than a base Cooper.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ototype-drive/

And that's just north of 3,000 lbs. I could swear my Coupe only weighs like 2650. I remember reading about those prototype E-Minis like 10 yrs ago (there was a forum for them). You could only lease them and the insurance was included in the lease so it was like $600/mo. The e-Mini has got to have at least as much whammy as an MCS. Hopefully a little more.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:25 AM
hotairgypsy
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i love ev...but you all need to consider something with an ev purchase...cuz the world dont get it...resell/value holding is crap...i bought a brand new chevy volt in late 2015...on the show room floor the sticker price was 35k...unfortunately momma and kiddos were involved in an accident and totaled the car...car took all the impact and all walked away with no blood or broken bones. now i am dealing with the insurance saything the value is 13k...how does a car in 3 years drop from 35k to 13k...something is not right here... So the moral of the story is buy gap insurance and hope it is enough to cover how fast they depreciate or buy used and bypass the depreciation. loved the car...loved the safety...it protected my kiddos...i have not one single bad thing to say about the car..its the depreciation which is staggeringly bad

Old 03-21-2019, 11:23 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
I recall a few people that swore they would never drive a front wheel drive car, others who would never drive a car with Anti-Lock Brakes, some who would never drive a foreign car and so on.

I will never own an electric car, however, I know that I'm wrong.

By the way, is the sound of an electric MINI similar to the sound of a supercharger?

Old 03-21-2019, 03:52 PM
hotairgypsy
2nd Gear
would not bother me if it was silent...fun sneaking up on pigeons

The following users liked this post:
DJinAC (07-12-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 06:05 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
I read that HD designed their new E bike to be extra noisy on purpose!

Old 05-21-2019, 07:22 PM
Wildtool
Neutral
MINI really has to step it up with EV production. Our household now has an 2016 Clubman S, and a 2018 Tesla Model 3. The Tesla is clearly the future. Over the air software updates. A 300 mile range. Quiet and incredibly quick acceleration. Superb handling. Pure joy- I will say more fun to drive than a MINI! You must experience this car to believe it. I think a MINI lover can get a lot of enjoyment from an EV, especially a Tesla, and not have to worry about burning oil, replacing water pumps and belts and hoses, like we’re so used to. Oh, and no trips to the gas station. Just plug it in at home at night.

To me, I think internal combustion cars feel like last century. The Countryman SE is pretty lame and at almost $40,000, in the Tesla range. I fear that MINI will get left behind, because the specs on the upcoming SE just don’t look that good. Here’s hoping they come through with a great EV, because I’m not buying any more ICE cars.

WT

BRLowry (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
Sorry got the wrong thread

Last edited by Eddie07S; 05-22-2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Deleted post
Old 05-22-2019, 08:30 AM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildtool
To me, I think internal combustion cars feel like last century.

WT
Don't get me wrong, i love what Tesla is doing.
But I won't be signing up until I can get one that sounds like a JCW MINI.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:21 AM
BRLowry
1st Gear
Old 06-02-2019, 05:54 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildtool
MINI really has to step it up with EV production. […] To me, I think internal combustion cars feel like last century. The Countryman SE is pretty lame and at almost $40,000, in the Tesla range. I fear that MINI will get left behind, because the specs on the upcoming SE just don’t look that good. Here’s hoping they come through with a great EV, because I’m not buying any more ICE cars.
It seems to me that BMW is trying to buy time until real full-electrics are ready to go. The Countryman SE is basically the same design and technology as the BMW i8. It gets them a plug-in hybrid to market for their "affordable" car line and provides something to buy.

For a really fascinating read, see the translation of an interview with BMW's head of development here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/electricveh...s_will_always/

The headline is somewhat misleading and sensationalist. What the BMW guys says is is much more nuanced. But, unlike VW, BMW is not going all-in on electric; they expect to sell a mix of PHEV, BEV and traditional ICE for years. (It's also hilarious to me to watch him throw shade on VAG. He doesn't quite go so far as to say "they're all in because they got caught cheating" but… )

Last edited by bratling; 06-02-2019 at 05:56 AM. Reason: fixed BBcode error
Old 06-02-2019, 02:54 PM
d2mini
5th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by bratling
He doesn't quite go so far as to say "they're all in because they got caught cheating" but… )
VAG's been working on electric for years. The recently released Q3 E-Tron is a real Tesla competitor.
I don't know about VW, but Audi plans five fully electric cars and seven plug-in hybrid cars within two years, before moving to 30 electric cars by 2025.
Volvo plans 5 fully electric vehicles by 2021 and their entire lineup is planned to be fully electric by 2025.
Where will bmw be by 2025?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:00 AM
BRLowry
1st Gear
They made it official today. Maybe we need a section dedicated to the electric Mini.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/09/all-e...ini-cooper-se/

jamez (01-11-2020)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:26 AM
grunte
2nd Gear
NO thanks. Gasoline engine and manual tranny for me all the way!

Old 07-09-2019, 07:38 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I like its looks. Very MINI-like. Not some weird futuristic look.
Interesting stats, too, but they leave a lot. It would be interesting to see its weight and cold weather range. It has 180+ hp but it is about 2 sec slower 0-62 than the S. It must be pretty heavy. This will effect its stop and go range. And no release date? Or did I miss something?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:45 AM
Blue R50
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
I have no interest in an electric MINI. I bought my MINI so I could get away from driving my Prius C with it's horriful E-CVT transmission and it's total lack of feel. I also do not want to own a vehicle I can't service myself, which is why I chose an R50 over later, more refined MINIs. Then there are two other reasons why I would not own one: Cost and Range. MINIs are already overpriced cars with an ICE, BMW will probably charge north of base Tesla Model 3 prices for them! Then there is range. The MINI platform is simply too small to have enough space for a large enough battery for anything more than a short distance commuter, like a SMART. Sorry, but if I was in the market for a $40k electric, Tesla would have my money and I would have a Model 3. The company has more experience producing EVs than any other manufacturer and their cars are designed as a dedicated EV. Given BMWs track record with their electrical systems, I simply see no reason to trust them with an EV. They will probably try to make them with biodegradable wiring insulation made form corn syrup that means they have a 10 year shelf life before time and rodents destroy the high voltage wiring and electrocute the inhabitants.

As for the original poster, this is the internet and you don't get to be a special snowflake and avoid criticism of your choices. If you like what you own, then I am happy for you and hope it all works out. I hold no malice. However, I will post my concerns and feelings with reasons and logic (where applicable). That's what forums are for.

rs_cup (07-19-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:46 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by grunte
Manuals are on the way out. MINI has temporarily stop producing them in this production run. The GP 3will be an anto. At best you might be able to get a dual clutch tranny in the future. Even in my new JCW it is clear that the F56 was designed for being an automatic and the idea of putting a stick in was an afterthought (eg the arm rest is in the way of the shifter and the tach is unreadable).

Take care of what you have if you want those things...

Electric is coming, like it or not.

Wildtool (09-02-2020)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:26 AM
MiniAndo
3rd Gear
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by grunte
Hey now, this kind of thinking is really narrow minded! I've had a ton of fun in manual diesels too! =P

Back on topic, I'm curious what other Mini folks are thinking about the "S E" now that we have more details. The rest of the internet seems to hate it, but Mini gets a lot of hate for pricing anyway.

My wife has been following the rumor mill for the last couple years and was really hoping to lease one. After talking to our local dealer lease rates were a complete joke (sorry don't remember numbers). She was saying at 150 miles and a decent price she would likely bite on buying. I guess we'll wait until March to drive one. We drove an i3 and loved the drivetrain, but it was honestly terrifying when pushed around corners, we affectionately described it as a "pig on rollerskates".

I'm slightly shocked that most of the hate seems to be centered around the range. 150 miles is perfectly fine especially with a 35 min 0-80 charge. I'm not sure why everyone thinks that 250 miles is the new minimum for EV range. Less battery is better for the planet, safety, and performance.

Personally I take more issue with the mediocre acceleration. The i3 is hilariously quick from a stop. I don't need Tesla Plaid quick, but I'd at least like "giggle inducing" quick. The proof will be in the test drive, but on paper it sounds like they should have skipped the "S" in the name as it isn't quite as quick as the 1.5T even with instant torque.

I'd love to be proven wrong in March, but at this point I'd rather buy a used i3 and fix the suspension in the aftermarket.

jamez (01-11-2020)

Quick Reply: MINI-e The 2020 Electric MINI thread