General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:50 AM
stamp11127
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Opinions on convertibles

My wife wants an older convertible & I prefer project cars. I've been reading about the issues with Mini's that some have had with the various gens. Most reviews say avoid the convertibles but don't offer an explanation as to why. So whats the deal with them? Costly to repair when the mechanism craps out? Parts unavailable?

Old 05-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Warning, the comments in this post are not impartial.

The only thing better than a MINI is a MINI vert. I do advise anybody that partakes in spirited driving with a vert do so with some type of racing designed harness. On issues, most cars all break down and anybody that buys one thinking otherwise IMO is foolish.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:25 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
Convertibles never made sense to me in Minnesota. Same with outdoor pools

Old 05-17-2018, 08:27 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
It's the glare from all the cheese head hats next door . . . . .

Old 05-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by stamp11127
My wife wants an older convertible & I prefer project cars. I've been reading about the issues with Mini's that some have had with the various gens. Most reviews say avoid the convertibles but don't offer an explanation as to why. So whats the deal with them? Costly to repair when the mechanism craps out? Parts unavailable?
This is also not impartial.

Buy an NA Miata, it is always the answer. Plus, you can get two birds stoned at once as it is a convertible and old enough to be a project.

MINIs are not reliable cars. They can be expensive and complicated to repair, and the convertibles (like most convertibles) are flimsy.

Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
Warning, the comments in this post are not impartial.

The only thing better than a MINI is a MINI vert. I do advise anybody that partakes in spirited driving with a vert do so with some type of racing designed harness.
I advise that you do not run a racing harness regularly on the street because basilar skull fractures.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 AM
stamp11127
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all your input so far.
The only things I don't do yet is bodywork and paint.. Thinking about trying paint once I retire. I've done bodywork in the past but didn't have the patience to feather the bondo correctly. Now that I'm older I have the patience, just need to keep the coffee brewing or it's nap time.

Last edited by stamp11127; 05-17-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Additions
Old 05-17-2018, 11:31 AM
mparkmc
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finest Kind

A very partial view about R52 S vert

Nothing finer then a full moon drive, along the beach, headed to the north shore

or a sunny afternoon drive going no where, just to be motoring

or a semi cloudy morning top down and enjoying the time with your best friend.

Driving in Hawaii means never driving with the top up, unless it is raining hard enough that I worry about drowning.

A MINI vert is the way to go.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:15 PM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I paid $7,300 for my fully loaded 2008 R52 with 53k miles back in March. Put on another 3k miles with no issues. We love this car and the top only goes up if it's raining or snowing.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:24 PM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
My R52 ...

Is a real blast,

Motor On!

... and that is Miss Susan in her twin behind me (Lime Rock Park)

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on convertibles-2017-lrp-mini_16hr.jpg  
Old 05-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Derek86
This is also not impartial.

Buy an NA Miata, it is always the answer. Plus, you can get two birds stoned at once as it is a convertible and old enough to be a project.

MINIs are not reliable cars. They can be expensive and complicated to repair, and the convertibles (like most convertibles) are flimsy.

I advise that you do not run a racing harness regularly on the street because basilar skull fractures.
I had two Miatas and two Honda s2000s, loved the cars but at 6-3 I am like a sardine in a can. The MINI vert has loads of room.

On the harness, my C3 and C5 ruptured when a lady hit me in my Blazer and it rolled. I don't want to even think about rolling a convertible but at least with the harness I am staying in the car.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:44 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
+1 on an NA Miata; it's easy to mod and loads of fun to drive. I bought one new in '92 and drove it trouble free for 18 yrs before I bought my MINI. My next new car will be another Miata!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
If you do wind up getting a MINI drop head, make dang sure it is the R52 manual. The W11 engine and Getrag gear box are near bullet proof.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
If you do wind up getting a MINI drop head, make dang sure it is the R52 manual. The W11 engine and Getrag gear box are near bullet proof.
X2 6 speed manual is rock solid!

Old 05-17-2018, 10:00 PM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
NA Miata's is the perfect convertible.
Parts are widely available and are extremely cheap.
It's very easy to work on and are very reliable.
The only downside is that if you're taller than 5"6, your knees will suffer.

Mini parts are expensive and are challenging to work on.
If you have the money and patience, go for the Mini.

The following users liked this post:
billzebub (09-14-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 05:41 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
On the harness, my C3 and C5 ruptured when a lady hit me in my Blazer and it rolled. I don't want to even think about rolling a convertible but at least with the harness I am staying in the car.
Which is worse? Getting crushed by your rolling car or having your skull violently detached from the rest of your spine?

Originally Posted by ammodave
+1 on an NA Miata; it's easy to mod and loads of fun to drive. I bought one new in '92 and drove it trouble free for 18 yrs before I bought my MINI. My next new car will be another Miata!
I'll get another one soon enough. They are so cheap to mod and there is a massive aftermarket. I had a very fun street/autox car for less than I've spent trying to just get my R53 to be a half-decent daily driver (excluding purchase prices).

Originally Posted by H_C
Mini parts are expensive and are challenging to work on.
If you have the money and patience, go for the Mini.
I honestly hate working on my R53. Anything I want to do costs 2-4x as much as it should and takes 3x as long. I haven't even gotten to do any good modifications because I've spent hobby money this past year just trying to work out the inadequacies of the stock parts and configuration.

I have a serious love hate relationship with these cars. I won't sell mine but I'll never tell someone to buy one.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Shiner
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm fairly certain that it is a state requirement in Florida that if found in the possession of a mini.....it needs to be a vert. Who are we to question a state law.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:43 AM
BluGnat
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My roadster top is totally manual - no mechanism to break (whew).

Old 05-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Shiner
I'm fairly certain that it is a state requirement in Florida that if found in the possession of a mini.....it needs to be a vert. Who are we to question a state law.
Whoever wrote that law, I'd buy him a beer. Question: What does the law say about when it has to be folded back. I am aware of only four conditions requiring raising the head.
1. Raining
2. Snowing (not a concern in FL)
3. Co-pilot complaining about being too hot or too cold (cold not a FL concern either)
4. A bunch of drunks throwing empty beer cans in the back seat and didn't invite me.
Otherwise, top down.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:04 AM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
MINIs are a street legal go-kart. Guess what? Go-karts don't have roofs either! Such a blast rowing the gears with the top down! And two adults fit just fine in the rear for going around town. You can't do that with a Miata!

Old 05-18-2018, 10:44 AM
H_C
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
MINIs are a street legal go-kart. Guess what? Go-karts don't have roofs either! Such a blast rowing the gears with the top down! And two adults fit just fine in the rear for going around town. You can't do that with a Miata!
But the ride is completely different in a Miata. No ABS and rear wheel drive!

Old 05-18-2018, 10:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
I would get a convertible again. Mine has a ton of miles and I would get one again. The MINI convertible has about the most connected feeling to the outdoors and the street in my opinion. I really like my R58 JCW but my R52 Cooper w/JCW kit is a different experience.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-19-2018, 12:50 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
ECSTuning wrote -
The MINI convertible has about the most connected feeling to the outdoors and the street in my opinion.

You need a motorcycle..! THAT, is the most connected to the outdoors. Been there for 33+ years...no more fun than being on a bike in the mountains.

Mike

Old 05-19-2018, 01:00 PM
PokerMunkee
2nd Gear
Most bikers can't handle corners in the mountains as fast as a good sports car.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Some euros crashed tested convertibles, the MINI is very well designed. I will take a chance rolling around inside of it in lieu or getting thrown out or be raised up high enough to get a high and tight hair cut compliments of the pavement.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:01 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Some euros crashed tested convertibles, the MINI is very well designed. I will take a chance rolling around inside of it in lieu or getting thrown out or be raised up high enough to get a high and tight hair cut compliments of the pavement.
There have pictures posted in the past of some horrendous car crashes (almost called them accidents) where the MINI remained upright though it's little nose was mushed in, but, the important thing was that drivers and passengers were standing on the curb like the one with the engine laying off to the side. They are tough little cars and one of the common complaints is the near vertical windscreen. That's part of the MINI convertible 'roll cage'.

Quick Reply: Opinions on convertibles