General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acceleration Decreases in 2005 Mini

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 05:46 PM
mini-dad
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acceleration Decreases in 2005 Mini

Greetings,
My daughter purchased a 2005 Mini manual 5-speed about 2 years ago. Ole Dad here has been able to take care of most of the maintenance and upkeep so far but I must admit these beasts are different than what I'm used to. Now she has moved about 60 miles away and it's no so easy for Dad to check out the "strange" sounds.

Yesterday she tells me it's having problems with acceleration. She can get up to speed and then it starts to steadily slow down...even though the pedal is pushed all the way down. It never stops completely, just slows way down. I have to go to her to work on and not sure where to start. I'm thinking maybe clogged fuel line or filters. I've also read where it could be spark plugs. Any thoughts?

Wish I had found this forum a couple years ago. It's been challenging maintaining the car, but it is a fun car to drive. I think the biggest frustration is not knowing what "special" tools may be needed for any given task.

Last edited by mini-dad; 03-28-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Is the original clutch? You know where I'm going with this..

Old 03-29-2016, 06:05 AM
mini-dad
Neutral
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
Is the original clutch? You know where I'm going with this..
I know where you are going with this and I really wish you would go somewhere else...something simpler and less expensive. I haven't been around the car since the problem started but in my experiences you can usually smell a slipping clutch. I'll check that out. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2016, 08:49 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Is the CEL on or any codes present in the system? I'd plug in and see if there is anything present. Does it sputter/chug at all? When was the last time routine maintenance items have been done? If you need help with the repairs and tools, just let me know.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-29-2016, 08:52 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
I hope its not the clucth but if its original and high milaage that might be it. You can smell it also. Another alternative.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...utch-disc.html

Also make sure the rear brakes are stuck or dragging :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-caliper.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-29-2016, 12:50 PM
mini-dad
Neutral
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Is the CEL on or any codes present in the system? I'd plug in and see if there is anything present. Does it sputter/chug at all? When was the last time routine maintenance items have been done? If you need help with the repairs and tools, just let me know.
Thanks Pelican. I haven't seen the car yet so not sure about anything else. Daughter hasn't driven it since problem occurred. I'm going up Friday to take my first look at it.

As far as routine maintenance, oil, oil filter and air filter were all changed approx 2 months ago. Tran fluid changed about 1 year ago. Plugs about 2 years ago so they prob need to be checked/changed.

I've used your website and have purchased parts from you for this Mini in the past so I am familiar with you.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:51 PM
mini-dad
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
I hope its not the clucth but if its original and high milaage that might be it. You can smell it also. Another alternative.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...utch-disc.html

Also make sure the rear brakes are stuck or dragging :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-caliper.html
Good advice on the brakes...i'll check when I'm up there later this week.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:51 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Welcome. Let me know if you need anythings else and what you find.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-29-2016, 01:37 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by mini-dad
Thanks Pelican. I haven't seen the car yet so not sure about anything else. Daughter hasn't driven it since problem occurred. I'm going up Friday to take my first look at it.

As far as routine maintenance, oil, oil filter and air filter were all changed approx 2 months ago. Tran fluid changed about 1 year ago. Plugs about 2 years ago so they prob need to be checked/changed.

I've used your website and have purchased parts from you for this Mini in the past so I am familiar with you.
Anytime! Glad we could be of help to you and the MINI. Once you get your hands on it I'm sure you'll be able to get a better idea about things and symptoms it has. I'm thinking possibly fuel related, maybe a fuel filter... If it's this it would probably be more of a constant issue vs. it being intermittent. Anyways, report back and let us know what you find as it may help us diagnose it a little better.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:02 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some other basic things to check:
Supercharger belt slipping
Crank pulley coming apart (slips when hot)
Vacuum leak, check intercooler bellows
Corrosion on coil terminals
Accelerator pedal rheostat (drive by wire), should throw code
Plugged Cat Converter, should throw code

Old 03-30-2016, 02:38 PM
mini-dad
Neutral
Thanks for all the suggestions/tips everyone. I'll be sure and update my findings after this weekend.

Pelican,
I'm getting ready to order a fuel filter from your website. Based on what I've read and the youtube vids I've watched I probably should go ahead and replace that even if it's not the culprit. Any reason to order the Mini Genuine over the Vaico if she doesn't plan on keeping this car. Plan is to get it running/tuned up and sell it within the next year. She want's a new (or newer) Mini.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:45 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by mini-dad
Thanks for all the suggestions/tips everyone. I'll be sure and update my findings after this weekend.

Pelican,
I'm getting ready to order a fuel filter from your website. Based on what I've read and the youtube vids I've watched I probably should go ahead and replace that even if it's not the culprit. Any reason to order the Mini Genuine over the Vaico if she doesn't plan on keeping this car. Plan is to get it running/tuned up and sell it within the next year. She want's a new (or newer) Mini.
Thank you for your order. I've seen a few people say that the Vaico o-rings have swollen or that they actually come as too thick, which results in causing no start issues. Good reference thread here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-t-start.html and also read the customer reviews on the product. I'd stick with Genuine with this particular product. This is definitely a good maintenance item to replace. Let us know what you find out when you get your hands on it.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:14 AM
mini-dad
Neutral
An update...
Got my hands on the car this weekend. I cannot replicate the problem. Daughter says it has not happened recently. She described the problem as when she got up to around 75mph or so, the car would feel like it was losing power and drop down to around 60 despite pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor. I drove it around for a while on interstate getting up to 85mph several times with no problems. Acceleration was good, response good. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary to me. There were no smells (burning clutch) and brakes seemed OK...not stuck or grabbing.

For now and until/unless it happens again I'm thinking bad gas. She did say she has re-filled her tank and has not experienced the problem. The new fuel filter should be here later this week so I will go ahead and replace that and probably the spark plugs. Thanks for everyone's assistance and ideas on this. If something changes and I ever figure out exactly what it was I'll update this thread.

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2016, 06:57 PM
zsqure
3rd Gear
Dont run low octane gas in an "S".