General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Lock Won't Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:13 AM
etonnemacher
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passenger door lock

So I have this same problem also - sometimes the lock works perfect and then it just stops, very annoying! How bad is it to get the door panels off? My other vehicle is a jeep so I just get out the big hammer if parts don't cooperate..... don't think I want to do that with the MINI! Is it just use a screwdriver to pry out from the door?

Originally Posted by Ronnie
Okay everyone, I finally had success in fixing my door lock.

After much thought I decided to take out the passenger seat. I then started at the top of the door and popped it loose; then the back of the door, then the bottom. This would not have worked without removing the seat.

The front where the door meets the a-post area was the most difficult. All three areas were free, top, rear and bottom. The front panel would not come loose from the door, but after much manipulation it finally cam free. I only broke one gray plastic piece.

I then could lay down in the car and stick my hand and head in the oval. After looking on the net at how the latch hooks to the lock mechanism, I could feel the little door where the cable inserts and hooks to the lock.
The cable end had come free from the latch inside the mechanism.

I opened the small flip down door and found the latch. I pushed it down twice and presto, door opened.

Standing there looking at my door opened was almost as satisfying as looking at my new born son.

I was then able to hook the cable back up, close the latch door. I hooked the outside latch back to it's mechanism and my door is working again. SHEW, it feels good to have a working door.

Thanks for all the advice and help!

Ronnie

Old 12-16-2014, 11:26 AM
patchelect
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There a screws as well as clips. You need to remove the reflector on the corner of the panel and there's a screw under it. There's also two on the armrest. I have had both off and it isn't a bad job, but there is a clip that needs to slide off that is on the armrest and you need to coax it off. I have a series of plastic pry bars (JC Whitney cheap-o but they work great) that have helped. My car isn't nearby right now so I can't give you specifics. I think there's a few posted details if you google the subject because I seem to recall using one. I do have a Bentley Manual but the google search helped me more than the manual did. And use plastic pry bars NOT screwdrivers like previous hackers did on mine. I have a boatload of scratch marks all around my doors because of that foolishness. The only PITA is getting the plastic piece off the armrest to access the front screw. Once you see how it works it becomes a DUH moment, but until then it gets a tad frustrating. It probably took longer to figure out how to remove the panel than to replace the mechanism itself.

And I didn't remove the seat!

Old 12-16-2014, 11:59 AM
etonnemacher
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Passenger lock

Awesome - I'll stop by a nearby Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and pick up some plastic pry tools! Hopefully I'll have a chance to look at it this weekend. Thanks!

Originally Posted by patchelect
There a screws as well as clips. You need to remove the reflector on the corner of the panel and there's a screw under it. There's also two on the armrest. I have had both off and it isn't a bad job, but there is a clip that needs to slide off that is on the armrest and you need to coax it off. I have a series of plastic pry bars (JC Whitney cheap-o but they work great) that have helped. My car isn't nearby right now so I can't give you specifics. I think there's a few posted details if you google the subject because I seem to recall using one. I do have a Bentley Manual but the google search helped me more than the manual did. And use plastic pry bars NOT screwdrivers like previous hackers did on mine. I have a boatload of scratch marks all around my doors because of that foolishness. The only PITA is getting the plastic piece off the armrest to access the front screw. Once you see how it works it becomes a DUH moment, but until then it gets a tad frustrating. It probably took longer to figure out how to remove the panel than to replace the mechanism itself.

And I didn't remove the seat!

Old 12-29-2017, 08:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,004 Likes on 1,800 Posts
Just an update, we have the locks at a lower price back in stock. With free shipping.

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yes,

Sound like the actuator in the door lock. #1 Due to the door opening manually. You can access it withe window all the way up and with the door card off. Sometimes its one or the other first , then both. If its ever both at the same time , and the toggle bank does not work, check the plug at the back of the toggle bank to make sure its plugged in all the way.

Make sure you get the right part: 51200556769 Right ( passenger side )

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51200556769/

&

Door Lock Unit - Left ( driver side ) 51200556768

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51200556768/

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172