R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 Small Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:28 AM
SheldonCooperS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Small Problems

Hey guys, so this is only my 2nd or 3rd post on here so bear with me. I've had my Mini for just over a year now and, it being 11 years old, I've noticed a bunch of little problems it seems to be having:

1. I have a small, slow engine oil leak that drips about once an hour. Not a huge problem as I just have to keep checking the oil level and topping it off about once a week, but I have taken it to my Mini mechanic to get it fixed and although he said it was the crank sensor gasket, it still leaks after he replaced it. I think it may be the oil pan gasket. Thoughts? Is this a common problem?

2. My passenger side door lock/handle is broken. At first when it broke you could only open it from the outside, but now you can't open it at all. I'm not sure if it's the locking mechanism or the handle/latch. Is this an easy fix or if not, how much can I expect to pay to fix it?

3. Headliner is falling off. Small at first but it's really bad now. I want to replace it myself but I'm a little nervous. Is it pretty easy to do?

4. Rear hatch supports are also broken. They no longer hold up the hatch when it's open and when I go to close it they don't slow it down so the hatch slams shut. How much for parts to replace them?

I apologize it some of these questions may seem stupid, but any help would be much appreciated! Also I'm sure there may be some threads on this already so if you could direct me to them that would be great. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2015, 11:39 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Regarding item 4 you can look up the part number on RealOEM and Google the part number to find the best price.

RealOEM - Part 41626801258 Cross-Reference

Old 08-25-2015, 11:57 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Definitely the most common leak on your R53 is the crank seal/gasket. Not sure this is your issue, but another place to look for oil leaks is at the crank sensor. The o-ring is commonly the culprit for that leak. Did your mechanic thoroughly clean the area after replacing the gasket? I'd clean off as much of the area that seems to have an oil leak and watch to see where it could be seeping/leaking out from. For the door handle, it's the interior handle? Maybe try sourcing a used one from www.car-part.com and replacing it first before you look into replacing other components. This DIY here can help with the removal of the interior door handle for the replacement if needed. I did find this headliner DIY here, maybe see if it'll be useful for you. The hatch shocks are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased here (scroll to part number 41-62-6-801-258-M24). Hope some of this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST