Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Programming Key/BC1/ECU Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:35 PM
DeniseNY R52
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programming Key/BC1/ECU Help!

I have a 2006 MC S convertible. The computer died so I purchased a used 'package' of an ECU, BC1, key, ignition, and door lock. All are installed, and I still cannot get the car to start.

I have tried the following that I found in other posts:
Originally Posted by valvashon
Here's the "Remote transmitter (key) programming" page from the 2002-2006 Bentley manual. They picture a clamshell (two button) key to go with the steps.

1- Close all doors

2- Switch ignition switch to KL-R*. Switch to OFF within 5 seconds and remove key.

3- Within 30 seconds, press and hold unlock button and at the same time press and release lock button 3 times. Completed [sic] within 10 seconds.

4- Release both buttons. Doors lock/unlock to signal a successful initialization.

5- If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps above within 30 seconds.

Switching to KL-R completes initialization.

*I don't know exactly what this is, but I'm assuming that it is the run position without starting the car.

Nothing on this page about barcodes. On the previous page it mentions that a bar/release code function in the factory EWS tool is used to activate and deactivate keys, but I think they are talking about doing that to the transponder inside the key in case you need to get a new key or deactivate an old lost key.

If you have tried the above procedure and it hasn't worked, maybe there is something to the whole barcode thing. But how is that expected to follow the key around if it is not on the key?

Val

Bc1 sync:
1. Press either the remote key lock or unlock button four times in succession
2. With car unlocked, switch on ignition briefly then off and remove key, now within 10 sec press the lock and unlock buttons in succession.

1. Get in car and close doors.
2. Insert key into ignition.
3. Turn key almost to the point of starting and back 4 times.
4. Remove key.
5. Hold down the unlock button on the key and press and hold the center lock button 3 times, releasing the unlock button on the key as you release the last of the 3 lock pushes.

I have also reset the ECU with the odometer/trip button.
I now have no working key, no car, and I'm 100 miles away from the nearest dealer. No other mechanic will even touch it.

Any help is appreciated!!!! I'm dyin' here!
Denise

Last edited by DeniseNY R52; 08-31-2015 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-31-2015, 02:17 PM
DeniseNY R52
Neutral
350+ views... No answer?? :(

Old 08-31-2015, 05:16 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
The instructions in your post are only for the remote door lock and have nothing to do with starting the car.

Here's information about the immobilizer system: http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...B466135001.htm. You need an EWS module that matches the key.

When you say "the computer died", can you be more specific about which module? What was the reason for replacing all the items you mentioned? I would have only replaced whatever died with a new unit and have it programmed by a dealer or shop.

Last edited by rkw; 08-31-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 PM
H.Chi
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
update software

I had some issues with my R53. I updated the software and had a few errors with the programming and the EWS. The car failed to start - i killed it!! lol. I tried to run the EWS sync and reprogram without success for about 5-6 hours. I finally used version 41 and reprogramed the entire car. During the programing, the EWS programming came up and it had me turn the key on for 25 seconds, then off, back on, and off. The details page came up with all green check marks and no red "X"!!The car programmed fine without errors and it fired up! whew

The car was running fine until i updated the software, the EWS failed to sync the key and it would crank but not start. you might need to reprogram the car.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:08 PM
DeniseNY R52
Neutral
Thanks for the info H.Chi!

Originally Posted by H.Chi
I had some issues with my R53. I updated the software and had a few errors with the programming and the EWS. The car failed to start - i killed it!! lol. I tried to run the EWS sync and reprogram without success for about 5-6 hours. I finally used version 41 and reprogramed the entire car. During the programing, the EWS programming came up and it had me turn the key on for 25 seconds, then off, back on, and off. The details page came up with all green check marks and no red "X"!!The car programmed fine without errors and it fired up! whew

The car was running fine until i updated the software, the EWS failed to sync the key and it would crank but not start. you might need to reprogram the car.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
The scary part about doing these swap everything out ECU, BCM and lock cylinder deals is the future major *** ache they just created by doing so. If someone else needs a new key down the road the car might was well be a parts car. Without a title in your name for all the swap parts the next person is boned, as every key they order will be wrong

Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 AM
DeniseNY R52
Neutral
Yep you're right. I hadn't thought of that, but I didn't really have a choice!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:55 AM
H.Chi
1st Gear
Starting Issues

Mini dealers will sell keys with a license and current registration. I have several minis and BMWs. I have been a BMW owner since 2006 and just got in to the Mini's. The issue with BMW/Mini is they are not user friendly for the normal do it yourselfers. You need specialized equipment to clear codes or program/flash the BCM. I am one of the DIY/home mechanics and do this as a hobby and to save money. I do all of the maintenance myself. Just did a complete motor swap/clutch/axle on the 03-mini. (I own the following cars 03 Mini S, 06 Mnin S, 12 Mini Cooper S JCW, 06-BMW 525, 05-BMW 645, 07-BMW 335i)

The car will most likely need to get completely reprogramed. Most likely one of the modules are not married with each other (vin) or the rolling code in the EWS is not sync. The car will crank but not fire?? (all other functions such as light, radio, windows will work fine) The BMW/Mini have a rolling code that needs to be sync. I used the old DIS V41 and did a entire reprogram/software download. That solved my problem. If you were closer, I would take care of the software download. (out in CA). Mini dealers will want to sell you new modules and do a reprogram. Try to find a local Mini Independant dealer. You might be looking at $250-400???

"The computer died so I purchased a used 'package' of an ECU, BC1, key, ignition, and door lock."

Who did diagnostic on your Mini? If you bought a used package of the modules, it "should" be married together? if they gave you the correct key. Who replaced all of your modules?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:03 AM
DeniseNY R52
Neutral
A local guy that has a few Minis himself tried to diagnose it. His tool would not even acknowledge the computer. I bought them used and put them in myself.

I'm aware of the rolling codes, but is that something I can do? Can I download the software from somewhere or is this a program only garages/dealers have?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:07 AM
H.Chi
1st Gear
I just noticed, you did not put down you got a "EWS module" with your package.
That will have to be sync to your new ECM and key. The BCM just controls all of your other functions.

For the car start-ECM, EWS, and Key/w lock modules all have to match vins and be in sync. Your EWS will have to be married to your ECM, and Key. It will not start, because the rolling code does not match. The car is thinkng it has an illegal copy of the key. I'm assuming you are still using your old EWS module. Have someone do the complete reprogram. Syncing the EWS and key is in the reprograming step.

Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Last edited by H.Chi; 11-01-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:16 AM
H.Chi
1st Gear
mini issue

I was having a problem with the gateway on the 03 using the my programmer. I assume you're out in New York? I have an old DIS/SSS V39 and V41 set up. The DIS was working fine until last week for me, but the SSS V41 Progman worked fine and did the software download clearing the codes after it programmed. I'm sure there might be some locals Mini/BMW programmers out where you are willing to help??

lots of info on coding bmw's and there is a forum. Search it and you should be able to get some info. I'm not a very good coder, but I can turn a wrench!!! But I can get by with the coding stuff.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:44 AM
Blesson Thomas
Neutral
Does anyone have any experience of getting a Mini Cooper-S Smart Key program tool.? I can get a virgin remote but need to program it, but looking for a cheap tool to program the remote part.

or if some could send a video link or description on how to remove the CAS module that would be great..

(My 2007 MCS remote part is damaged...key blade is fine, so looking to program a Virgin Remote)

Old 05-17-2016, 05:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Do you have a Gen 1 2007 MCS Convertible ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172