General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Mini a reliable car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is Mini a reliable car?

I suppose it is to late to ask this question as mine is shipping now.

Is Mini a reliable car? I mean you read this board and can look at all the problems. Then again, take my current car (Toyota Corolla XRS) I am sure if it had a board and probably does the same posts would be there.

How do you find the prices to fix your Mini at the dealer? Are the maintenance costs huge? More than Toyota? Similar to BMW (yes I know they make Mini) or Lexus, Audi, or Mercedes? BMW's are expensive to maintain as I had a 325 in the past.

Do you use your dealer, fix it yourself or find a non-dealer Mini shop?

Have you been pleased or disappointed with reliability?

Or, are you a die hard forever Mini fan fixing the car and moving on as you would never drive anything else period!

I bought mine because I wanted fun. Hard to research reliability. Reviews are all over the board. I think some just hate Mini and the retro cockpit - I actually adore it.

BTW, mine is a black S Coupe with stripes. Awaiting Transport.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Mine has been reliable...
Then again I do not "drive it like I stole it" like so many here...expecting a warrenty to kick in and fix my mess....
I have done my own MX....and some basic repairs/improvements.....
The other family car is a Toyoda.... Mini is no Toyoda..but much more fun...and has character.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
In my experience they are, but most posts seem to be about the bad. My current MINI has just over 308,000 miles. It's an 03, so different engine, but I was talking to a local lady yesterday that has over 371,000 miles on her 2007. It has had a problem with the turbo once, but other than that, very reliable. She also just bought two more MINIs, one being a GP.

Nik

Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Hexley
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The very vocal minority on Internet forums has the loudest voice. Few people will report that everything is fine, they'll open their mouth when something is wrong though.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Grin

Yes, thanks. I am old

50 here, I don't drive fast and often like the right slow lane. Let the fast drivers pass and have it out with the road rage. Me, just enjoy the sights motoring to work.

My commute is long. 1 1/2 hours in the morning to work and 50 minutes on the way home. Traffic here is bad in Atlanta so I opt for more scenic roads and avoid the expressway. Commute is the same either way.

Just hoping regular maintenance and loving care it will be good to me. I have done the same with the Toyota and no major issues and it has 70,000 on it now. Yes, dealers can be a little expensive but convenience and expertise is worth it. I'll spend my time detailing her - leave the maintenance for the dealer.

Anything I should be aware of when I pick her up? Avoid any additional warranties (I normally do). Sort of a pay as you go person.

Any special accessories a must? Thinking about a window shade. Got a set of rubber floor mats ordered with her. She has a place in the home garage and in a parking deck at work.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
The other members have provided some good info for you here. Being in Atlanta you're near one of the most well-known and respected MINI shops: Way Motor Works. If you keep your MINI beyond the factory warranty they'd be my shop of choice for any work.

I use a local independent shop that specializes in Euro cars and has experience with MINIs since they came back to the US in 2002, which to me is invaluable for avoiding the dealership prices. IMO MINIs aren't really the type of car one takes to Jiffy Lube or Midas, but that's just me.

As for accessories, I'd recommend some good window tint and car cleaning & detailing products from actual cleaner/wax/polish to waffle towels & microfiber.

Congrats on your new MINI; hope the trip across the pond is speedy!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi, I have a '12 S Hardtop. From reading the forums it seems so long as you take care of the car it should be relatively reliable. Not ultra reliable but not a guaranteed lemon either. The current generation Minis also seem to have fixed a lot of problems that the 1st gens and even the earlier 2nd gens had.

Change the oil every 5k miles, check the oil level often, if you have an auto trans cycle a few quarts through it every few years, about all you can do. If you can do these yourself you will save some money, not hard, but you need the right tools. Take it in for the free dealer scheduled maintanence.

Parts from the dealer seem to be reasonably priced. The labor charges seem absurdly phenomenal. When the warranty runs out hopefully you can find a good shop to take it to should you need repairs.

I had a '05 Scion tC and the only work that needed was the default water pump replacement and fluid changes. Time will tell if the Mini is similarly reliable.

The Mini is a car to be driven, and is fun even in stock form, which makes it worth it. Hope you enjoy your car!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:22 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
The general consensus is that the non-S version is more reliable than the S version. So if you're comfortable with that and not all about racing around, then you'd probably do fine with a non-S.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA
The general consensus is that the non-S version is more reliable than the S version. So if you're comfortable with that and not all about racing around, then you'd probably do fine with a non-S.
Quick cancel the shipment now! Makes sense the turbo would give more issues, more parts, heat, pressure, same teeny tiny living space.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Shops & Such

Thanks, I'll check out Way Motor Works.

I have always avoided Jiffy Lube and like places. I don't mind spending money for quality work.

I should not say this but I purchased way too many items from Griots Garage for washing. Watched all the videos. Not that their stuff is the best but better than your average off the shelf items. Micro fiber this and tools for that to clean. Got several kits to get me going and a detail cart.

Nice to here about 308,000 miles! Wow.

Yes, no posts like I have 5,000 miles and my car did not break down what is wrong?

Or

Why hasn't the Turbo quit working? 10,000 miles and why are the wheels still on?

I am sure there are problems. But for one problem there are 10,000 who never had it. So I guess it is a matter of perspective.

In other words, if I look at the board for every problem or rattle I can't assume I will have them all.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
Quick cancel the shipment now! Makes sense the turbo would give more issues, more parts, heat, pressure, same teeny tiny living space.
Well as my signature states, I have a Clubman S. I had since it's now dead after it was totalled, but my new Clubman S is awaiting transport. :D The non-S is just too putsy for me now even though during my first ever test drives the S felt too fast.

Totally agree on what you're saying. More complicated, more potential issus.

I think for me overall the work that I needed were things that were "common knowledge" about the car thanks for a forum like this and were all covered under warranty. Once you learn some of the little quirks, like even certain brands of gasoline are preferred over others (Mobil and Shell over BP for example) as they help reduce carbon buildup, and other things that you maybe didn't have to worry about with another car (an older Camry for me) then it's fine. I think the most frustrating thing for me were the rattles, but finally the dealer sorted out the nemesis one with my last trip under warranty, which just happened to be less than a week before my accident. Anyway, I feel confident my car was going to have very little issues and certainly no more rattles after that.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My Cooper Hardtop has been reliable. (Knock wood!) The only problems were fixed under warranty before I even knew about them. Oh, except for the sun visor. I knew the mirror cover was broken when I took it in. The other one will get replaced next time, as it has broken as well.

The first maintenance was done a little early, at 11 months and change. A tire (non-RFT) had gone flat, and the side skirt was damaged by the jack, which also failed to lift the car. (Reminder to self: Get that scissor jack!) So they replaced the side skirt ("good will", not admitting that the jack is a poor design) and did the maintenance, at which time they found the oil solenoid was leaking. That required a replacement of the solenoid, the wiring harness for the solenoid, and the thermostat housing--the old housing was not compatible with the new wiring, evidently.

So far, I have 16K miles. I have since had the dealer do a (paid, not free) oil change at 18 months post-purchase, and they'll be doing the free one in another 3-4 months.

After the pre-paid maintenance is done, he will probably be going to a local independent shop that specializes in BMWs and MINIs.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:29 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Another issue is MANY posters on these boards are not car folks...
The number of folks who simply fail to check their oil (yes...Mini's do use a bit...some lots) or let their car over heat 5 times...then complain..never having checked their coolant...then wonder why their head gasket is toast.....heck some Mini's have great paint jobs...but have had the basics neglected...
If you are a car person....who understands the basics... Mini's are great cars.
But for a techie or a first time car owner...the learning curve is a bit steeper than a KIA!!
Lol...look at the number of posts that are almost funny from newbies...you will understand. We have all been there...but usually had a close friend or relative help us out with the more mundane stuff....

Old 06-12-2013, 02:48 PM
w35773
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
If you are a car person....who understands the basics... Mini's are great cars.
But for a techie or a first time car owner...the learning curve is a bit steeper than a KIA!!
This^^

MINIs are performance cars, built for people who love to drive. Like all performance vehicles, they need care and maintenance. You've owned performance automobiles before, so treat your MINI with the same care you treated your BMW with and she'll be around a long time.

As others have mentioned, Way will take good care of you. If I ever need anything done that I can't do myself, he'll be the first one I call.

Welcome aboard and happy motoring!

Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM
heresmymind
4th Gear
so far mine has been doing what its ment to, 110k miles. a few hiccups here and there but nothing beyond whats normal for any car. (oil changes, alignments, abs sensor, tires yada yada)

-B

Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mines been pretty reliable especially for being a MCS, 51K miles! It's been more reliable then my '08 Cooper and '07 Outlander. Can't complain.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:00 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA

Well as my signature states, I have a Clubman S. I had since it's now dead after it was totalled, but my new Clubman S is awaiting transport. :D The non-S is just too putsy for me now even though during my first ever test drives the S felt too fast.

Totally agree on what you're saying. More complicated, more potential issus.

I think for me overall the work that I needed were things that were "common knowledge" about the car thanks for a forum like this and were all covered under warranty. Once you learn some of the little quirks, like even certain brands of gasoline are preferred over others (Mobil and Shell over BP for example) as they help reduce carbon buildup, and other things that you maybe didn't have to worry about with another car (an older Camry for me) then it's fine. I think the most frustrating thing for me were the rattles, but finally the dealer sorted out the nemesis one with my last trip under warranty, which just happened to be less than a week before my accident. Anyway, I feel confident my car was going to have very little issues and certainly no more rattles after that.
Hehe, I was making a (bad) joke since the OP said he ordered an S and you suggested the non-S is more reliable, which it probably is. Sorry to hear about your car, hope you are okay.

The non-S auto was so hard to drive smoothly in the city test drive since the first inch of throttle does absolutely nothing then whoosh! power from nowhere that peeters off if you try to pass on the highway. The sport button helped a little but the S didn't have the extreme low end deficiency, just a mild one. ;-)

Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Mynewt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Hexley
The very vocal minority on Internet forums has the loudest voice. Few people will report that everything is fine, they'll open their mouth when something is wrong though.
This is when objective third-party assessments are useful. And they mostly seem to say that Minis are average; maybe a little below depending on the year and model.

If a consumer is looking for car to simply serve as an economical commuting appliance, a Honda or Toyota would be a better choice.

This is to say that buying a Mini is taking a moderate risk. Not a high risk and not a low one. But some risk none-the-less.

This is generally true whenever looking at European cars. They have a higher cost of ownership than Japanese or Korean products. This is not the conclusion of anecdotal evidence from forum members. There actually are agencies that track such things.

Minis are definitely worth the risk IMO.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's a big difference between reliable, and trouble free.

My '10 MCS (38k), has been completely reliable. I have no doubt it will always start and get anywhere. My first car, a 71 MG Midget had a box of parts and tools in the trunk at all times. You were certain it would break down at least daily....( that was in 1975...lol)

Old 06-14-2013, 03:31 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Feedback

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback - wow.

I am still pleased I ordered a Mini. Looking for something fun to drive seeing I spend so much time in my car.

When it comes to choice there was not many cars out there that caught my eye. Or many just did not do anything for me. I have always kept a clean car and obsessed about clean. A car is much more than something to get to work.

I looked at Mazda RX, BMW, Mercedes. I felt bad in that my research shows Volkswagen to not be very reliable. But I have no experience with Volkswagen to make that claim.

Gas mileage was important which easily eliminated many cars. Audi TT only comes in manual and there is a waiting list for those.

Odd, but maybe my concern about gas mileage has to do with watching my pennies? I am the typical accountant (CPA) who watches costs quiet a bit. Not so concerned about initial price. Maybe I should have ordered the JCW but that gets less fuel efficiency.

Not huge into speed either. I tend to baby my cars. I am fine with higher costs of maintenance and replacing parts. Just no breaking down daily on the way to work. It is very unsafe out there in the city.

I wanted a two seater. No more hauling boxes from the warehouse. No more being a taxi. I go nuts if people get into my detailed car. This eliminates so many problems. Wife is fine with it. We have always had the family car and my car. She wants a Mini also so will be ordering her the four door model.

I think it will be a good match. I am German but a little bit of English and Dutch. Mostly German. And been to Germany and yes seen the BMW factory pretty cool.

Now to scrub the garage floor to make it ready for the new arrival. Told you I was a bit obsessive. Should have my order from Griots today. They are going to like me with as much as I have spend on three orders so far. Yes, I want to have fun in my garage.

I used to work on cars back when they had timing lights, dwell meters. Changed engines out. I just do the small stuff now. Also, no time for huge projects. Changing head gaskets, carburetor rebuilds. Those days are gone. My first was a 1967 Dodge Polara. Then a Chrysler Imperial. Then a Datsun 210 And Nissan 200SX.

Awaiting fun!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
130k and the record is better than my made in japan civic.
The only really unexpected thing was a bad coil at 120k and a camshaft
actuator.
When I say unexpected, I mean I expect that the oilpan gasket
will leak and the valve cover gasket leak at 100k miles.
I fixed this myself.
But you do have to be semi handy or know somebody that is or you will pay
way too much at the dealer for brakes and such.

I do not drive it like I stole it either.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Naylia
3rd Gear
This is from TrueDelta.com a site that surveys users and has them upload their actual service records, with what repair performed at which mileage, etc...

Mini is mostly average, sometimes worse, sometimes better. 2012 had a good start, I hope they keep it up!

Attached Thumbnails Is Mini a reliable car?-screen-shot-2013-06-14-at-8.02.34-am.jpg  
Old 06-14-2013, 10:55 AM
BRGMINICOOPER2007
Neutral
No!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Naylia
This is from TrueDelta.com a site that surveys users and has them upload their actual service records, with what repair performed at which mileage, etc...

Mini is mostly average, sometimes worse, sometimes better. 2012 had a good start, I hope they keep it up!
Luckily mine isn't a lemon lol.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:36 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
Hehe, I was making a (bad) joke since the OP said he ordered an S and you suggested the non-S is more reliable, which it probably is. Sorry to hear about your car, hope you are okay.

The non-S auto was so hard to drive smoothly in the city test drive since the first inch of throttle does absolutely nothing then whoosh! power from nowhere that peeters off if you try to pass on the highway. The sport button helped a little but the S didn't have the extreme low end deficiency, just a mild one. ;-)
No, I gotcha. I was just clarifying where I was coming from. Not a bad joke either. Thanks though. Insurance covers a new one so that's great. Just waiting now...

Yeah, definitely slow off the line. Sport does help, but I'm one who doesn't think you should drive it in Sport all the time. I think it's my Dad as the Camry I used to have had Overdrive (or Sport if you will) and every time I mention Sport mode he wonders if it's tougher on the engine. Anyway, S will seem like a speed demon again since it'll have been over a month of me not having my car.

Quick Reply: Is Mini a reliable car?