General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Mini a reliable car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Naylia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA
but I'm one who doesn't think you should drive it in Sport all the time.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 PM
byron h
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
[QUOTE=kg4fxg;3756557]Yes, thanks. I am old

Anything I should be aware of when I pick her up?

Bill,

The single most important things you should do regularly are check your oil level and use the top tier gas as recommended by MINI. I think the newer MINI's have a free oil change at 1 year or less than 10,000 miles. If your maintenance reminder says over 10,000 miles, change your oil or pay to have it changed more often. The MINI dipstick is very difficult to read. There are several posts explaining the problem. The following link is to one of mine.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-dipstick.html
Morris, 2011 MC, PW/B

Last edited by byron h; 06-14-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Jazzcat
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the above comments. After the 36K maintenance was finished I did my own oil changes, rotate tires when doing an oil change. I do oil changes every 7,500 miles even between dealer services. I also buy my filters online for 1/3 of the dealer price and they are the same filter.
Next is Automatic Transmission Service. Dealer said none required. Local mechanic wants $350 which I feel is high. I may do it for under $100 on a Saturday. Also, change the brake fluid once a year. I now have ATE Super Blue Brake fluid in the car. Next year I will use the ATE Brown Fluid. All you need is AT fluid, a wrench a turkey baster and someone to pump the brake.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:32 PM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wonder whats up with the 2011 Mini Coopers in that survey?

Last edited by TREX; 06-14-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TREX
New engine that was introduced but they fixed the issues with the '12 and '13.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:43 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Mynewt
This is when objective third-party assessments are useful. And they mostly seem to say that Minis are average; maybe a little below depending on the year and model.

If a consumer is looking for car to simply serve as an economical commuting appliance, a Honda or Toyota would be a better choice.

This is to say that buying a Mini is taking a moderate risk. Not a high risk and not a low one. But some risk none-the-less.

This is generally true whenever looking at European cars. They have a higher cost of ownership than Japanese or Korean products. This is not the conclusion of anecdotal evidence from forum members. There actually are agencies that track such things.

Minis are definitely worth the risk IMO.
Well put! We've had Hondas and Toyotas and while they were great point A<->point B cars the Mini is definitely more fun and quirky.

Reliability ratings are very important to me and that's why I was sad that the 1st gen Minis didn't fare too well. That's where the '05 Scion tC came in (that was a 1st gen too, frankensteined from proven platform/parts so we took the gamble and it paid off). Now BMW seems to be getting the last of the bugs out right before redesigning the whole damn thing . Circle of life, I guess.

And to the OP since your commute is so long, might I suggest reading up on Koni FSD shocks. They are $625 during the spring sales and can best be described as progressive shocks that are soft when cruising and stiffen up when you start throwing it around a bit. For a daily driver they seem to be a great upgrade for the ride quality, even the non-sport suspension.

Also, be sure to play with the tire pressures on the run flat tires, I found on my stock Continentals that mid 40's actually ride considerable softer than mid 30's (max on the sidewall is 51 psi). Maybe the extra air takes you off the stiff sidewalls?

Lastly, I'm a detailing freak as well (my neighbors are always asking me 'you polishing it again?!?') and one thing to note is the stock brake pads dust A LOT. My 12 mile round trip, 25 mph commute leaves the rims with a fine layer of black brake dust one day after cleaning them. And I have the auto that downshifts way sooner than other cars I have driven so I don't even need to brake as often/hard as in the tC. From what I have read here the EBC Redstuff maintains at least a stock level of braking power with far less dust. So after the free maintenance is up I'm definitely looking into alternative friction material when I run them out.

Last edited by yesti; 06-14-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:53 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Oil

Bryon H

Thanks for the tip about the oil. Interesting thread. I don't mind changing my oil more often even if I have to pay for it either. Maybe a chance to check out Way Motor Works?

Yesti
Thanks for the mention of the Koni FSD shocks. I will check them out.

I like to be overly prepared.

In case of an accident this is the body shop of choice? Good dealer alternatives for car maintenance or modifications.

The Mini will cost more (maybe) than my Toyota to maintain but the fun factor is huge. I think it will be less than my BMW 325 but if things need to be replaced that is just a part of life. We work so we can spend money on the Mini's

I got my Grit Guard wash bucket from Detailer's Domain. Nice bucket with spin top, casters, and pad on top to sit on. Also got the Detailers cart from Griots plus other items. Need to Orbital Buffer next.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:22 AM
08ChiliRedS
1st Gear
Mine S has 104,000 miles now. Normal items need attention on the turbo since it get hotter then the non S. Keep up with maintenance,Walnut shell the head at 50 then 100k change oil every 5000 and you will be good. Oil feed lines when they leak, mine at 98,000. The S is a high performance machine that is in line with others on maintenance cost. Have fun. I'm on the north side of Atl and go to a shop just outside of the perimeter if you are not close to Way.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:53 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 08ChiliRedS
Mine S has 104,000 miles now. Normal items need attention on the turbo since it get hotter then the non S. Keep up with maintenance,Walnut shell the head at 50 then 100k change oil every 5000 and you will be good. Oil feed lines when they leak, mine at 98,000. The S is a high performance machine that is in line with others on maintenance cost. Have fun. I'm on the north side of Atl and go to a shop just outside of the perimeter if you are not close to Way.
I believe you are right on on the "S" models and the need for an understanding of what is required to keep one up.
Certainly having the valves walnut shell blasted at regular intervals is one.
Keeping an extra keen eye on the oil level and timeing chain tension would be others.
Installing an oil catch can would also be advised.
Are there any other "S" specific upkeep issues anyone considering one of these Mini's should be aware of?
Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a list of how to properly maintain one of these Mini's as they certainly do require a better working knowledge than a base non-turbe mini would.
This , of course, would just be for those Mini S owners who only drive "spirited" and not for those who would actualy want to race their cars as this is much more involved.
But for those who might want to venture beyond just spireted driveing, perhaps a seperate section for those who would race their Mini's?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:57 AM
08ChiliRedS
1st Gear
I had my timing chain done at 61,000. With reg oil changes I have had no issue . I had it measured and it is within specs

Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 AM
byron h
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TREX
The survey only shows the number of instances, not the cost. The 2011 (none Clubman) has two fairly common problems, a faulty coolant temperature sensor and an oil leak from the oil pressure sensor wire. Both of these do not require imediate repair. These problems are fixed free of charge and during normal maintenance at the dealer. I have not had the problem with the oil leak and the replaced coolant temperature switch is my only problem in about 20,000 miles. My dealer replaced the coolant temperature sensor on my first scheduled oil change. The Clubman had several issues resulting from being made in a new factory for the first time and probably were the bulk of the extra instances. I know peeling chrome was one of the common problems, I don't remember any of the others. The carbon build up on the S models is the only unresolved problem on the new MINI's I am aware of.

Morris, 2011 MC, PW/B

Old 06-15-2013, 07:33 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by byron h
The survey only shows the number of instances, not the cost. The 2011 (none Clubman) has two fairly common problems, a faulty coolant temperature sensor and an oil leak from the oil pressure sensor wire. Both of these do not require imediate repair. These problems are fixed free of charge and during normal maintenance at the dealer. I have not had the problem with the oil leak and the replaced coolant temperature switch is my only problem in about 20,000 miles. My dealer replaced the coolant temperature sensor on my first scheduled oil change. The Clubman had several issues resulting from being made in a new factory for the first time and probably were the bulk of the extra instances. I know peeling chrome was one of the common problems, I don't remember any of the others. The carbon build up on the S models is the only unresolved problem on the new MINI's I am aware of.

Morris, 2011 MC, PW/B
Thanks, that's encouraging for those of us that have the newer model cars.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:25 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Lawenceville GA

Originally Posted by 08ChiliRedS
BTW
I am in Lawrenceville, GA and I commute to Downtown Atlanta (Peachtree Center) everyday. I stopped using 85 South and opted for 78 into the city. Not far from Martin's Chapel and Sugarloaf Parkway.

Basically surrounded by country and horse farms.

I have not research Way Motor Works. Also noticed there is this one but have no experience to comment.

Sport Motoring
404-343-6529
Hours: M-F 8am-6pm
info@sportmotoring.net
Ponce de Leon Avenue

What bothers me the most is having to go through finding the right place for service. Getting the car back clean. No oil on the white/cream door panels. Nothing stolen from the interior. They were very good that way at World Toyota to me.

I would pay much more for the service if I was comfortable with the facility be it Way Motor Works, or Sport Motoring or whatever.

Relationship is key, trust, etc.

Look, when I bought my BMW 325 I was so paranoid about service I got a job on weekends there as a porter driving the cars just so I could watch the shop and see how they did things. Really. It was at the time Charles Evans BMW. The shop was fine, they were very good and I love to spend time watching them detail cars.

Let me know if anyone has had issues with Global Imports Mini. I don't mind seeking out one of these alternative places. Nice to have options.

Just in case, if you have a minor fender bender where in Atlanta would you take your Mini? Dealer? I like to be prepared! Just saying.....

Thanks

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kg4fxg
Thanks for all the wonderful feedback - wow.

I am still pleased I ordered a Mini. Looking for something fun to drive seeing I spend so much time in my car.

When it comes to choice there was not many cars out there that caught my eye. Or many just did not do anything for me. I have always kept a clean car and obsessed about clean. A car is much more than something to get to work.

I looked at Mazda RX, BMW, Mercedes. I felt bad in that my research shows Volkswagen to not be very reliable. But I have no experience with Volkswagen to make that claim.

Gas mileage was important which easily eliminated many cars. Audi TT only comes in manual and there is a waiting list for those.

Odd, but maybe my concern about gas mileage has to do with watching my pennies? I am the typical accountant (CPA) who watches costs quiet a bit. Not so concerned about initial price. Maybe I should have ordered the JCW but that gets less fuel efficiency.

Not huge into speed either. I tend to baby my cars. I am fine with higher costs of maintenance and replacing parts. Just no breaking down daily on the way to work. It is very unsafe out there in the city.

I wanted a two seater. No more hauling boxes from the warehouse. No more being a taxi. I go nuts if people get into my detailed car. This eliminates so many problems. Wife is fine with it. We have always had the family car and my car. She wants a Mini also so will be ordering her the four door model.

I think it will be a good match. I am German but a little bit of English and Dutch. Mostly German. And been to Germany and yes seen the BMW factory pretty cool.

Now to scrub the garage floor to make it ready for the new arrival. Told you I was a bit obsessive. Should have my order from Griots today. They are going to like me with as much as I have spend on three orders so far. Yes, I want to have fun in my garage.

I used to work on cars back when they had timing lights, dwell meters. Changed engines out. I just do the small stuff now. Also, no time for huge projects. Changing head gaskets, carburetor rebuilds. Those days are gone. My first was a 1967 Dodge Polara. Then a Chrysler Imperial. Then a Datsun 210 And Nissan 200SX.

Awaiting fun!
You might find this picture below helpful.
I just took a trip this past weekend and covered something like 640 miles doing so.

This is a picture I decided to take to show Gas-Mileage.
Also I will mention this the overall MPG was like 34.5 for that trip.

MCSfuelmileageKytripJune2013_zps2bd005d3.jpg?t=1371489139

Old 06-17-2013, 11:52 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Mileage

Nice to see good mileage. Wow.

If you are going to spend time in a car it ought to be fun!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Thanks, I'll check out Way Motor Works.

I should not say this but I purchased way too many items from Griots Garage for washing. Watched all the videos. Not that their stuff is the best but better than your average off the shelf items. Micro fiber this and tools for that to clean. Got several kits to get me going and a detail cart.
I love Griot's stuff. Their paint sealant and random orbital are a quarterly ritual for me. I also carry a bottle of their spray-on car wash for when the birds and squirrels bless my car.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Traprock
2nd Gear
With all the TLC I could muster, mine has be a total piece of crap.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Gentlefury
3rd Gear
I suppose it is to late to ask this question as mine is shipping now.

Is Mini a reliable car? I mean you read this board and can look at all the problems. Then again, take my current car (Toyota Corolla XRS) I am sure if it had a board and probably does the same posts would be there.

How do you find the prices to fix your Mini at the dealer? Are the maintenance costs huge? More than Toyota? Similar to BMW (yes I know they make Mini) or Lexus, Audi, or Mercedes? BMW's are expensive to maintain as I had a 325 in the past.

Do you use your dealer, fix it yourself or find a non-dealer Mini shop?

Have you been pleased or disappointed with reliability?

Or, are you a die hard forever Mini fan fixing the car and moving on as you would never drive anything else period!

I bought mine because I wanted fun. Hard to research reliability. Reviews are all over the board. I think some just hate Mini and the retro cockpit - I actually adore it.

BTW, mine is a black S Coupe with stripes. Awaiting Transport.

Thanks
Mine has been EXTREMELY reliable! I have a very very early 2012 (bought it Aug of 2011) with about 34,000 miles, and I have had zero issues...and my maintenance experience has been fantastic. I am a MINI owner for life!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Griots

Originally Posted by silhouette88
I love Griot's stuff. Their paint sealant and random orbital are a quarterly ritual for me. I also carry a bottle of their spray-on car wash for when the birds and squirrels bless my car.
Yeah, I got there little travel kit with the case. Just in case the birds visit the car. Been very pleased with Griots products so far. I really need to get the Orbital as it looks fun.

It is more therapy and something to do that I enjoy on weekends. I have always enjoyed keeping my car clean and maybe that is because I spend so much time in it.

I am very pleased that there are websites out there that make detailing so much easier. I purchased a wash bucket with grit guard from Detailers Domain that has a nice vinyl rubber top so you can sit on the bucket and wheel around the car. It just sits there and is great for a pad to kneel on.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:09 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Reliable

Originally Posted by Gentlefury
Mine has been EXTREMELY reliable! I have a very very early 2012 (bought it Aug of 2011) with about 34,000 miles, and I have had zero issues...and my maintenance experience has been fantastic. I am a MINI owner for life!
Good to hear! This board is a blessing and a curse for me. If you read it looking for Mini problems well there seem to be plenty. And I am sure other cars have similar issues and boards.

Congrats on the 2012. Looking so forward to mine soon. And I am sure the dealer will keep me on the road too.

Mini fans seem to be interesting folks and fans for life. A little bit different than other car folks. I hope I fit right in.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All cars have problems...

All of them..

Some it's head gaskets... Heater cores... Oil leaks... Crank bearings....

Nothing is perfect... There are a few out there... But it's all a crapshoot.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by danjreed
All cars have problems...

All of them..

Some it's head gaskets... Heater cores... Oil leaks... Crank bearings....

Nothing is perfect... There are a few out there... But it's all a crapshoot.
Agreed 110%!

Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
kg4fxg, you might have found this by now but here is the silver lining thread

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...es-thread.html

Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM
mini_man_D
Neutral
Hey all, new here! I'm going to look at a 2005 Cooper S with 122,000 miles on it tomorrow. From what I can tell it's been well maintained and not beaten to death. I don't drive hard and my commute is 90% highway (30 miles/day). Should I be able to get 200k out of this car? Thanks!!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:03 PM
tbearmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini_man_D
Hey all, new here! I'm going to look at a 2005 Cooper S with 122,000 miles on it tomorrow. From what I can tell it's been well maintained and not beaten to death. I don't drive hard and my commute is 90% highway (30 miles/day). Should I be able to get 200k out of this car? Thanks!!
Maybe I'm not the one to ask since mine (new to me) '06 has issues (power steering, heater core) but most of the stuff I've had is just maintenance that wasn't done. I've read a lot on here and it seems like the engine itself is pretty reliable, it's the ancillary stuff that causes the problems. I would think if it's been and will be taken care of you should be good.

Quick Reply: Is Mini a reliable car?