How To Reading the 2011+ oil dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 AM
byron h
3rd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Reading the 2011+ oil dipstick

For all of you that have not been able to read the oil level on the 2011+ oil dipstick, the following method shown in the MC2 magazine is very helpful. Pull the dipstick out and wipe it clean then insert it only only until it reaches appoximately 60mm (2-3/8") from the fully in position. Pull it out and wipe it off again. Repeat this until the upper level mark is mostly clear of oil, then push it all the way in. Pull it out and read the level. This method wipes off the oil that is on the tube and prevents it from getting on the upper portion of the area showing the oil level. I tried this method on my MINI when it still had the oil added by the factory. Until I tried this method the oil always looked like it was over the high mark. With this method it was just below the high mark. After I had my first oil change, this method indicated that the oil was way over the maximum level. I took the car back to the dealer and they found that it was overfilled by over 1 quart. They keep records of the oil removed from their oil drum and found that 5.7 quarts were removed instead of the correct 4.4 quarts. If I had not found this method to get a good reading of the actual oil level, I would not have been able to detect this problem. I am sure driving the car for any length of time with oil over a full quart above the maximum would have caused some expensinve damage. Don't rely on the dealers to check the oil level. When I checked the oil after the last oil change, the oil was over the top bulge. I checked on the the amount of oil that should have been added and found the R56 engines require 4.4 quarts (4.2 liters) for a oil and filter change. To get a more precise reading I tried pulling out the dipstick while the engine was at full operating temperature and leaving the dipstick out for 2 hours. This allowed plenty of time for the hot oil to drain out of the dipstick tube. The reading using this method also showed the oil was over the top bulge but was difficult to see how much over.

ammodave suggested the following method to check the amount of overfill:

If you insert the dipstick so that none of the handle is inserted in the tube, it will make your reading exactly 1" low--good way to check if you're overfilled.

I tried this method and it was easy to see the amount of overfill. The reading indicated the amount of overfill was about 1/3 quart. I removed the excess by pulling the oil out of the dipstick hole with a pump. The amount of oil I removed was about 1/3 quart.

The 2011+ dipstick is not hard to read if you use one of these methods to wipe the oil off the tube and if necessary use the method of measuring the amount of overfill. Much more complete explanations with pictures have been added since I first made this post.

2011 MC, PW/B

Last edited by byron h; 01-19-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Corrected error in correct amount of oil.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
byron h - Thanks for sharing this tip and I will try it tonight as I'm having tough time to take the correct reading. Tried several times to clean the tube but did not stop before the oil pan which make sense.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:41 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or, buy the aftermarket dipstick that Cravenspeed is producing... see this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-how-easy.html

There were a few that were made with too much powder coating, but that is sorted out now and it is a TERRIFIC way to read your oil!! I had the same problem... couldn't tell that my oil was overfilled (twice, different dealerships) and now with the Craven stick, it is as easy as anything!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM
byron h
3rd Gear
Reading the 2011+ oil dipstick

The following post gives a very detailed description of the cause of the difficulty in reading the new dipsticks and positive methods for getting a good reading. I have tried the methods given in this post and they works well if the oil is not overfilled. Taking the oilstick out and waiting for at least 2 hours and then taking a reading is the method I use the most.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...00-post13.html

Morris, 2011 MC, PW/B

Last edited by byron h; 12-11-2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Replaced the copied information with a link.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:26 PM
owi1kenobi
1st Gear
Im starting to regret buying my mini , just checking the oil level is just plain stupid.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM
italchef
1st Gear
I've had my first MINI for a little over a month and couldn't read the dipstick. I followed the method on here today by putting it in and wiping a number of times and then taking the reading and it worked...for the first time since I've had my car. I'll put up with the few extra minutes it takes to read it properly.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Chris(CA)
2nd Gear
I have used the dip in/out to 60mm technique to read my dipstick. However I found I only need to dip it in/out around 3 times to clean enough oil to see. The trick is when you finally put it in the whole way don't rotate it when you pull it out.

In addition keep the dipstick upright, don't tilt it.

What I find is the oil drags on one side but the other side is clearer, the oil level (IE the dry spot) can be seen on one side.

If you rotate the dipstick or tilt it over when you pull it out the oil can flow over the dry patch and become unreadable again.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Checking the oil on a Mini...

What about just filing the bottom blub down to the thickness of the round reading part between the two blubs? Anyone try this yet? It's just plastic, right? That way the bottom blub doesn't drag the oil into the tube to begin with.

Just might work!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've used the multiple dip method so many times that now I'm a half quart low...but I'm not really sure...

Old 06-14-2012, 09:10 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackIce
Checking the oil on a Mini...

What about just filing the bottom blub down to the thickness of the round reading part between the two blubs? Anyone try this yet? It's just plastic, right? That way the bottom blub doesn't drag the oil into the tube to begin with.

Just might work!
Sounds like a good idea; give it a try and let us know the results.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:33 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Okay, here you go. Ground off the lower bulb and filed each side flat just a bit, then drilled matching holes every 1/4" starting from the hole that was already there all the way to the metal core so each hole has a shiny silver metal spot in it.

Sorry about the quality of the photo, but it seems to work well. The oil level just below the top hole, between it with the shiny core and the next one that is filled with oil. Looks like a viable easy cost effective solution.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:17 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
You done good! Now, off to get my trusty Dremel tool and replicate your success! Why didn't someone think of this yrs ago?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:29 PM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ammodave
You done good! Now, off to get my trusty Dremel tool and replicate your success! Why didn't someone think of this yrs ago?
Just wanted to report back in that this simple modification is working perfectly!

I'm checking my oil at every fill up. Park the car next to the pump, pop the hood lever, go pay my hard earned ca$h to the man, pump the gas, wash the windshield while it fills if it's dirty, replace the cap and close the door.

Then I go to the front of the car and open the hood to check the oil. I do it just like every other car I've owned over the years too. No special treatment needed. Just pull the dip stick once, wipe it clean, put it back in all the way down, pull it out and read it E-A-S-I-L-Y-!

BEST MOD TO MY 2012 MCa YET.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
good idea, I will eventually do this.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 PM
epb888
Neutral
BlackIce, can you pls. post a clearer pics..

Old 07-04-2012, 06:48 AM
DOC4444
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
What about just leaving the dipstick out overnight?

DOC

Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by epb888
BlackIce, can you pls. post a clearer pics..
These are the best photos my old digital camera will take. This is the modified dipstick dry.

And this is it wet, after one dip back into and out of the tube.

It is easy to read the oil level on the filed smooth flat dull surface on each side of the dipstick end, but the additional holes that fill with oil turn darker making it even easier with those in place.

It appears that the “lower” blub is what pulls the oil back into the tube when removing the dipstick. The upper bulb really shouldn’t be “in” the oil unless it is over filled and is possibly cleaning out the tube as you pull it out to wipe clean.

Either way, the filed to a point end doesn’t seem to drag additional oil up into the tube (or at least not as much), thus I am getting a good reading on the first dip after pulling and cleaning off the end.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 AM
byron h
3rd Gear
DOC4444

Pulling the dipstick out, wiping it off, and leaving it out at least a couple of hours should let all the oil drain from the tube. You can only reinsert it once and take your reading. Of all the methods discussed, I have found doing it this way is the most sure fire. If the oil has not been overfilled, you can see the level very clearly. If the oil has been overfilled you can also see that it is over the top bulb. My 2011 MC does not appear to use much oil so I don't have to check it very often.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Used your method and it seems to work MUCH better once all the accumulated oil was removed. I'm a full 10mm north of the halfway mark!! How the hell do you drain half a cup from the pan?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Cruzer214
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to say that this is sooo ridiculous to go through all that just to check the oil. Did BMW do this a joke? I wonder if bmw's have the same stick

Old 08-23-2012, 04:59 PM
minirab
5th Gear
As far as I know new BMW's don't even have a dip stick, just a light on

the dash that says that the motor needs oil. You then have to take it

to a dealer and they drain the oil out of the engine and measure how

much there is, then they put the same oil back in the engine plus how-

ever much oil is needed to bring it up to full. What a bunch of s%#t!!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
Used your method and it seems to work MUCH better once all the accumulated oil was removed. I'm a full 10mm north of the halfway mark!! How the hell do you drain half a cup from the pan?
Not sure what "10mm north of the halfway mark" means or why that would require a half cup removal, but all you have to do to remove less than a full dain is loosen the drain plug a little and oil will drain out through the threads. Once enough oil is removed, just tighten the drain plug back up and check the level.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
byron h
3rd Gear
My dealer overfilled the oil by about 1-1/2 cups. I removed the excess with a pump that sucked the oil out of the dipstick tube. I did not want to loosen the drain plug and ruin the crush washer. I got the pump from Advanced Auto.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:51 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlackIce
Not sure what "10mm north of the halfway mark" means or why that would require a half cup removal, but all you have to do to remove less than a full dain is loosen the drain plug a little and oil will drain out through the threads. Once enough oil is removed, just tighten the drain plug back up and check the level.
What I'm saying is that the middle of the stick indicates the "full level." The wetted area is 10mm above that level. And I was just asking if there was a way to get the excess out without making a huge mess. Changing the oil in my car always leaves huge puddles all over the floor but then, that's normal when you work on your own car instead of paying Joe Mechanic $19 an hour to do the same thing.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:58 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minirab
As far as I know new BMW's don't even have a dip stick, just a light on

the dash that says that the motor needs oil. You then have to take it

to a dealer and they drain the oil out of the engine and measure how

much there is, then they put the same oil back in the engine plus how-

ever much oil is needed to bring it up to full. What a bunch of s%#t!!
Wow, that's pathetic. That method is a MASSIVE waste of time. You'd have to schedule a freaking appointment and MINI always requires me to schedule more than 10 days in advance because they're booked out solid in both Plano and Dallas. Even four days ahead isn't enough!
Next thing you know, we'll have to call the service department to unlock the hood by remote control!! The car dealers are getting worse these days. FAR worse. Last time I took my car to have it checked, they didn't open the hood but plugged that code reader into the dash. The tragedy is that I'll probably never hear the words "Pop the hood please" again!

Quick Reply: How To Reading the 2011+ oil dipstick