General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Mini a reliable car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Mynewt
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Traprock
With all the TLC I could muster, mine has be a total piece of crap.
This is certainly the case sometimes.

I always take offense when people say it's all in how you treat them; it isn't. Mini just made some borderline cars with questionable components early on. (and still if you ask the folks who service them)

Last edited by Mynewt; 06-23-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
I found this to be informative that I just read.
So thought why not Post this for others to read.
The originator is really not important so I'm not posting his/her name.

It's not my fault that my 2003 R50 (built 11/02) radiator came unbonded and needed
to be replaced.
Or that my throwout bearing self-destructed around 90k, (a $2,100 clutch job).
or the little plastic check valve dissapeared from my oil filter housing ($400 to replace) control arm bushings went at 60k miles,
power steering hose leaked around 70Kmiles (IIRC it's a $100 hose).
Sure the struts wore out before 100k, but the front mounts with them???.
Then there was the transaxle seals around 70k and one wheel bearing so far (I'm at 110,00o miles now)
At least my power steering has been good and my water pump works well.
Those are two known issues I have not had to deal with.
I still wouldn't call it a lemon. And although I wish it didn't cost me $10k in repairs the first 2.5 years I owned it
(it was 7 years old w/45k miles when I bought it). I'm looking forward to my next one.
Maybe an 06 GP. Or at least a Gen 1 JCW. ***************

Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 AM
iogdka
1st Gear
I <just> picked up my first Mini, and it's a Countryman S ALL4. I purchased extended maintenance and warranty. I flat out asked the dealer if there was any advantage of doing oil changes more often than the approx 10,000 miles the car will notify me about. They said there was no advantage at all.

Since they're on the hook for 7 years of maintenance and warranty, why would they tell me this?

Originally Posted by 08ChiliRedS
Mine S has 104,000 miles now. Normal items need attention on the turbo since it get hotter then the non S. Keep up with maintenance,Walnut shell the head at 50 then 100k change oil every 5000 and you will be good. Oil feed lines when they leak, mine at 98,000. The S is a high performance machine that is in line with others on maintenance cost. Have fun. I'm on the north side of Atl and go to a shop just outside of the perimeter if you are not close to Way.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iogdka
I <just> picked up my first Mini, and it's a Countryman S ALL4. I purchased extended maintenance and warranty. I flat out asked the dealer if there was any advantage of doing oil changes more often than the approx 10,000 miles the car will notify me about. They said there was no advantage at all.

Since they're on the hook for 7 years of maintenance and warranty, why would they tell me this?
I can't really comment factually on the MINI service for oil changes.

But I can comment on Mercedes.
I have owned more than a few Mercedes and those include some of their AMG machines.
At the time I was buying them I knew personally the owner of the dealership.
So I ask him this, (Say what is your real honest opinion on just changing the oil/filter when the service monitor says to do it)?
His reply was quick and it went like this, (Terry Mercedes is not going to have the electronics to Alert the owner to have the
oil/filter replaced at those miles if they even remotely thought they were going to have to replace engines).

So that took care of my questioning on that matter and I did as the monitor suggested with zero issues !!!

I feel the same way in regards to the MINI service monitor.
MINI is not going to have that put into place and then worry about replacing engines.
I'm sure they are not referring to the cars that are, {Raced} as that is a completely different deal.

I just went by a few weeks back and extended my Service/Maintenance contract to the 6 yr.-100,000 mile.

I also worked for dealers for over 16-yrs. so I'm confident MINI knows their business.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 AM
GFB
3rd Gear
Always keep in mind that overall, only unhappy people complain or take the time to detail the bad. Happy people don't usually have motivation to go out of their way to say they've had no problems.

Originally Posted by kg4fxg
I suppose it is to late to ask this question as mine is shipping now.

Is Mini a reliable car? I mean you read this board and can look at all the problems. Then again, take my current car (Toyota Corolla XRS) I am sure if it had a board and probably does the same posts would be there.

How do you find the prices to fix your Mini at the dealer? Are the maintenance costs huge? More than Toyota? Similar to BMW (yes I know they make Mini) or Lexus, Audi, or Mercedes? BMW's are expensive to maintain as I had a 325 in the past.

Do you use your dealer, fix it yourself or find a non-dealer Mini shop?

Have you been pleased or disappointed with reliability?

Or, are you a die hard forever Mini fan fixing the car and moving on as you would never drive anything else period!

I bought mine because I wanted fun. Hard to research reliability. Reviews are all over the board. I think some just hate Mini and the retro cockpit - I actually adore it.

BTW, mine is a black S Coupe with stripes. Awaiting Transport.

Thanks