General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOWTO: DIY Bluetooth Audio (A2DP) without MINI Connected

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
avuton
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOWTO: DIY Bluetooth Audio (A2DP) without MINI Connected

Foreward
This will help you add Bluetooth audio to your MINI which does not have the Connected package. This will not work with steering or any other controls directly in your MINI. If the phone is not accessible, you will not be able to control the audio, especially if you're driving. If using for music, it might be wise to consider a phone mount at this time.

Bluetooth audio will not interfere with the Bluetooth phone interface if you have it installed in your automobile. If the MINI has the Bluetooth phone package, your phone can connect to both the Bluetooth Audio and the Bluetooth Phone interface at the same time, and if paired correctly, will reconnect to both automatically.

Depending on the optional materials you require for your setup, this can cost as little as $27. The time to complete this howto can be as little as 5 minutes, depending on how you would like to route the Bluetooth Audio Receiver. The only hard requirement to complete this HOWTO is a MINI integrated AUX IN port. Integration of the MINI integrated AUX IN port is possible as a DIY project, but is beyond the scope of this HOWTO.

Upon completion of this HOWTO, your MINI will have Bluetooth Audio as soon as the car comes on, no buttons to press, no muss, no fuss.

Materials
[Required] Bluetooth audio receiver: I highly recommend HomeSpot NFC-enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound System. The picture doesn't show just how small and light this module is. This module is powered on by USB power and turns on as soon as it receives power. It is perfect for this application.

[Required/optional] USB car charger adapter: I recommend Aluratek Dual Charger. This adapter is placed in the cigarette lighter, and gives two USB sockets with a low profile. A car charger adapter might be absolutely required if there is no available integrated MINI USB sockets available.

[Optional] Velcro: This can be used to attach the Bluetooth Audio Receiver to the vehicle.

[Optional] 3.5mm aux cable: The Bluetooth Audio Receiver will come with a 1 foot 3.5mm aux cable, but I recommend one a little longer (2-3 feet might beee long enough, depending on routing). Also, depending on asthetics, you might desire a 90 degree on one side of the cable to ease routing away from the aux-in port of your MINI.

[Optional] A high quality USB cable: Again, the Bluetooth Audio Receiver will come with a 1 foot USB cable, I recommend one a little longer (2-3 feet might be long enough, depending on routing). I recommend the AmazonBasics cable.

[Optional] 90 degree USB adapter: The main purpose of this adapter is to keep the power cable out of the way. Search eBay they have them cheap 'USB 2.0 Type A Male To Female Angle 90 Degree Extension Adapter Converter Cable'.

[Optional] 4 port ultra-mini USB hub: If wiring to the integrated MINI USB port, a USB hub can be used to add sockets for power. I recommend the
Belkin 4 port ultra-mini USB hub Belkin 4 port ultra-mini USB hub
, it's very small. This USB hub is self powered, which means, there is a limit to what can be powered. I have experience with plugging a USB drive for music and the Bluetooth Audio Receiver mentioned above, and it works just fine. If you decide to use a hub for your DIY harness, a few
USB extension cables USB extension cables
may come in handy.

Steps to complete this HOWTO
Power up the Bluetooth Audio Receiver: There are two common ways to power your device in the car, either through the integrated MINI USB port or through a "cigarette" car charger adapter. If plugging into an integrated MINI USB plug it will power your Bluetooth audio device even before the ignition is on, though this may occupy a USB audio socket. If plugging into a "cigarette" car adapter, the Bluetooth Audio Receiver will not become available until the ignition has been started. With either of these, your mileage may vary.

Attach to the MINI integrated AUX IN port: Temporarily attach the AUX cable from the Bluetooth Audio Receiver.

Pair your devices: Power up the Bluetooth Audio Receiver. Depending on the method used to power up your Bluetooth Audio Receiver, your ignition might need to be on. Follow the directions that comes with the Bluetooth Music Receiver to pair your devices (specifically 'Pairing your Bluetooth Audio Receiver'). Ensure car is in AUX mode, car and phone volume are up and test each device for sound. Repeat with up to 10 mobile devices.

Find a hiding place: First of all, remember that access to the pairing button on the Bluetooth Audio Receiver is necessary, to allow pairing of new devices in the future. With that in mind, use your imagination of good places to hide away the Bluetooth Audio Receiver. Finally, complete all routing, optimally, hiding away all traces of the new Bluetooth Audio Receiver, as best as possible.

For the R56 a few good hiding places come to mind:
  • Under the center console (if you can make room)
  • On the shelf directly above the passengers' feet on the shelf directly above
  • Under the footwell vents
  • Under either seat

TODO
  • Photos
  • Formatting and further clarity

Enjoy

Last edited by avuton; 06-23-2013 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Add information on self-powered USB hub
Old 05-30-2013, 05:18 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So interested...

Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 AM
Scott549
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have to play around with this, but it is strange to me that bluetooth is standard but you nevertheless need these accessories to use it. On our Mazda CX-9 you just go through a simple voice-activated menu and your phone or iPod is easily paired with the sound system.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 AM
avuton
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Scott549
I'll have to play around with this, but it is strange to me that bluetooth is standard but you nevertheless need these accessories to use it. On our Mazda CX-9 you just go through a simple voice-activated menu and your phone or iPod is easily paired with the sound system.
Yeah, it's actually an amazing weak point to our MINIs. Bluetooth is standard on MINIs (now) but does not include the optional A2DP (Bluetooth Audio) profile. The basic Bluetooth included in MINIs is only good for basic address book transfer and phone calls.

The A2DP profile, used for Bluetooth Audio, is only included with MINI Connected. Why wasn't it part of the MINI Bluetooth option? In my estimation, it wasn't included as a dangling carrot to sell the MINI Connected system (>$500 option).

Once the car has been built, integration of MINI Connected is practically impossible. There are other 3rd party options to add this optional profile to the Bluetooth system, but they're expensive, not necessarily a DIY project and buggy.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:00 AM
Scott549
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My use would be to play music and podcasts with an iPod and/or Android device. I might just use the aux input, which is fine, but it would be nice to have the option without the cables.

Edit to add: Thank you for the DIY; I might end up giving it a try.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:17 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
I am trying to thing out how this is going to work for me. I have the factory BT. If the hone is paired with the car to do calls, can it still pair to the device and stream music A2DP?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:22 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Scott549
I agree. My wife drives a CX-5 and she is spoiled with the voice command and navi in there. I rented her an E350 convertible for her birthday to cruise around the state and she was pissed she couldn't play her podcasts without hooking the phone up and then the cord wasn't working right. For less than half the cost our $25k Mazda had better usable tech stuff.

In our Mazda we can each have a phone paired for different things. We can use my phone to call numbers I have stored in my phone and when we aren't talking we can listen to her podcasts automatically.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:24 PM
avuton
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
If the hone is paired with the car to do calls, can it still pair to the device and stream music A2DP?
Yes, it'll connect to both at the same time, of course, depending on the capabilities of the mobile device.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:26 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Well here is my own situation. I have a few options that I want to explore.

I have the stock BT option. I can make and receive calls with minimal clarity, but it works as it should. I have an iphone5 that I have plugged into the 0.2m adapter to take the lighting plug to the 30pin configuration and it is plugged into my stock y-cable. Everything works as it should and is great.

I added a 30pin extension cable to my car, between the y-cable and the apple adapter to be able to put my phone in my craven speed phone holder and keep charging it without a cord being pulled tight. The phone now charges, but I lost phone controls and the input nolong sees "ipod".

I can do a few things here. I can accept it how it is and just charge up there and add this BT adapter to make the A2DP work and all is good, but I would just unplug the 1/8" phono to be able to do this. Only disadvantage is that if my wife wants to plug in to charge her phone via the y-cable and listen to her stuff (iphone 4s) then I would have to stream music via A2DP and charge it just like my phone (via just the y-cable) or keep a charger for her phone in the car and never mess with the unhooking of my extension cable.

I more could, (probable that it would be impossible option) would be to have everything hooked up all the time. I could use a splitter for the phono and rout it to my fully hooked up y-cable and the A2DB unit. I think I can find a different extension cable and get full functionality through my phone and all 3 cables that connect i tot he car, but is it worth having it worth through the car, just to get steering wheel controls? Kind of.

I could also split the USB and power both the phone and the BT unit, but the phone might charge even slower. The car's usb does charge the phone but if streaming data like pandora and using GPS and streaming music the charger will not charge, it might actually still lose battery life on the phone but at a reduced pace.

So now that I have laid out my particular issue, what avenue do I go down? The first solution is doable, it only has 2 downsides. I lack steering wheel controls of the music on my phone. My wife need to unhook my extension cord to charge her phone via the stupidly short y-cable, or I just get a charger for her phone and leave it int he door until she gets the new iphone 5s this fall and no need for that problem anymore.

Thoughts on my random mumblings? First world problems...