General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is extended warranty/maintenance worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:06 AM
Alena
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is extended warranty/maintenance worth it?

Hello everyone!

I am a total newbie here and just got my bright red MINI 2 days ago. Hardtop, automatic transmission and a sports package... fresh out of the oven...

have a burning question for those of you who have owned your MINIs for over 50K miles.

I put 20K miles per year without blinking, 25K with a bit of weekend trips... Los Angeles weather.... reasonable driver

The dealership is pushing the extended maintenance program, and extended warranty program... Are they worth it?

the warranty covers only major issues, like engine and transmission, electrical, etc... not the hoses or things that are expected to wear out... How have your MINI's been holding out after 50K?

How costly is the maintenance, after the 36K run out?

Also, there is an option of getting the exterior clear paint protector and the interior protection.... Does that stuff work? Would it really keep my little red beauty bright and sparkling longer?

So appreciate you wisdom,
Thank you

Old 01-19-2013, 06:13 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My MINI did not need any repairs between 50,000 and 108,000 miles.

Maintenance would have covered a brake job and some oil changes if I had it. I was able to do the work for far less than the cost of the extended maintenance plan.

The odds are that the programs are not worth it - that is why they are sold, to make money on an aggregate basis.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:30 AM
Finner
3rd Gear
The extended warrenty and the maintenance plan are basically "insurance plans". Your paying alot upfront to cover any major problem down the road. If it was me, I would talk to other mini owners in your area. Find a good private repair facility for maintenance and repairs once your warrenty expires. Could you benefit from having the extended plans? Of course. But on average, the odds are that you will spend more on the plans than you will spend on repairs.

I would pass on the outside and inside protection materials. Maybe stop by a local private detail place and ask them what they think of the paint protection and interior protection packages sold by dealerships, Mini, BMW, Audi, or other.

Enjoy your new MINI!

Old 01-19-2013, 05:49 PM
jewitcher
2nd Gear
Get the extended warranty...it pays for itself...
Transmisson on automatics are a problem but lots lotts of fun....
Clear bra on front a good investment..
The extended warranty is a negotable price . You do not have to buy from the
dealer you got the MINI from...check around you can buy up until you get to 36,000.

Last edited by jewitcher; 01-19-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: extra thought
Old 01-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta go with Jcauseyfd and Finner on this one. If you are too worried, look to third party warranties. Continental Warranty has gotten some good write-ups on NAM.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Sp4rtan
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As pointed out, an extended warranty is simply an insurance policy. The reality of insurance is that, on average, you will always come out on the short end. The only reason anyone would buy insurance (unless it is required by some short-sighted law) is that you can't afford the downside. If a potential repair would bankrupt you or leave you without a car, then you should consider insurance. Of course, if that's the case, you probably can't afford the insurance either. I've been turning down extended warranties on everything for years and I can think of maybe one occasion when one might have helped a bit (if they actually honored it), but on balance I'm way ahead. Insurance makes sense for events that are rare but catastrophic - car repairs don't really fit that profile.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. My recommendation of the third party was the understanding that they cover whatever you have, ie: mods. I could be wrong. I am like you, Sp4rtan. I'm not one for extended warranties and the like either.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Alena
1st Gear
Thank you so much to everyone!

great points....
I didn't even know about a third party option... The dealer was all too quick to go down on the price, which made me wondering on HOW overpriced this could be...

I love my little MINI

Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Alena
1st Gear
automatic transmission issues

Originally Posted by jewitcher
Get the extended warranty...it pays for itself...
Transmisson on automatics are a problem but lots lotts of fun....
Clear bra on front a good investment..
The extended warranty is a negotable price . You do not have to buy from the
dealer you got the MINI from...check around you can buy up until you get to 36,000.
Would love to find out more about what kind of troubles you had run into with the automatic transmission? at what mileage and how expensive?

Thank you!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a thought...

If you end up getting both the maintenance and the warranty at $5000 for both, and roll it into the 5 year loan at 1.9%. You are paying about $89 a month. and just over $5200 total. OK,

For that you will get some free oil changes, fluids, filters, probably 1 set of brakes, and anything else that might, (MIGHT), happen.

How about you put $89/month into some investment, or god forbid, even an interest bearing bank account. You can pay for anything that needs to get done from there, and if you are like most people, nothing really bad will happen, and at the end of 100K miles you can take a nice vacation with what's left, or buy a nicer car, or (wow, here's a thought), keep that money invested and do it again. And don't think you can't save, you are planning to pay for it in the auto loan anyway.

What you don't want to do is put it in your 401K or IRA. This isn't a replacement for that, it's in addition to that. You never, ever want to take money out of retirement accounts unless you have no other choice.

Most times, failures will occur in the first part of ownership, that's covered by the manufacturers warranty anyway. If you really are going to be abusive to the car, (track, autocross, drag strip, or being a general hoon), or you really plan to keep it a long time, it might be worth it. (but as a general rule, they just aren't going to pay out)

Old 01-20-2013, 04:49 PM
Ween
3rd Gear
I'm not sure if all extended warranties work this way or not, but the one I purchased through my dealer (Schomp MINI in Littleton, CO) is 100% money-back unless I use any portion of it. Basically it's a 0%-interest loan to the dealer if I don't use it, but I like having the peace of mind having it in case something big goes out...

Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
I bought an '08 S with about 80K with the balance of both warranties to 100K. I think it depends on how long you intend to keep the car. The maintenance warranty probably wouldn't be worth it in ROI, but I know that I've hit the extended warranty to the tune of about $7K by my estimate at dealer rate. That includes a $2500 HK radio receiver, AC compressor, Aux vac pump, thermostat, pan gasket, valve cover gasket, Turbo oil lines .... That is what I remember since April '12. One set of front brake pads in the same period. And its like every 3rd oil change is free depending on your change schedule.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Alena
1st Gear
Thank you, Richarsperry, Ween, and MikewithaMini,

really appreciate your input. I guess it really does come down to how long I intend to keep the car, which, I'm realizing, is unlikely that I will keep it that long. And a great point about setting up my own savings fund and watching how the car performs while still on the warranty.

Thank you lots!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
We had a turbo replaced (without warranty@ 40K miles) and a water pump replaced with an aftermarket warranty. The out of pocket for the pump 50.00 the out of pocket for the turbo...... Well lets just say it would have paid for the warranty +. A turbo was 1,800.00 from the dealer for JUST the part. No install new oil lines or labor.
The warranty was a bit over 2K.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Alena
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OldGameFreaK
We had a turbo replaced (without warranty@ 40K miles) and a water pump replaced with an aftermarket warranty. The out of pocket for the pump 50.00 the out of pocket for the turbo...... Well lets just say it would have paid for the warranty +. A turbo was 1,800.00 from the dealer for JUST the part. No install new oil lines or labor.
The warranty was a bit over 2K.
yes, I heard the turbos could be tricky... Thank you!