General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What You Hate Most about Your Mini???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
03M1N1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VYPUR
Well just got a call from Mini and I'm approved for .9% financing which has sealed the deal so hopefully Thursday I will be on my way to get a new MINI!!! Also get the free package also till the end of the month. Wish me luck!!!!
Good Luck with closing the deal on Thursday!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Sax
1st Gear
Engine ratings

Originally Posted by flatlander_48
Your S is a Gen 1 (aka Mk I) supercharged car. It has a different engine from the Gen 2 (aka Mk II) turbocharged cars. The Mk I uses the Tritec engine that was a joint development with Chrysler and BMW. The Mk II cars use the Prince engine which is a joint development by BMW and PSA Peugeot Citroen.

Your car has the JCW Stage I Tuning Kit added to it. This was a dealer installed option. Stock supercharger boost is 10.5psi unless you have a smaller than stock pulley. The Gen 2 S boost is 13psi and the factory JCW is at 19psi.

However, note the there can be some slight differences in the power ratings. PS is the abbreviation for Pferdestarke, which is the German word for horsepower. It is also referred to DIN-horsepower and several other terms. 1 PS = .9863 HP as we know it. For example, factory JCWs may be listed with power ratings of 211 or 208. Both are correct as 211 PS = 208.1 HP.
Thanks for the info. Explains a bit of the discrepancies. All I know is it's a pure pleasure to drive. There is 1 issue for anyone who thinks you should never rev the engine... it needs to run @ at least 3k or it bogs. Just glad my wife understands.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:02 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sax
Thanks for the info. Explains a bit of the discrepancies. All I know is it's a pure pleasure to drive. There is 1 issue for anyone who thinks you should never rev the engine... it needs to run @ at least 3k or it bogs. Just glad my wife understands.
Not a problem.

I never did find a power number for the JCW kit on the Gen I cars. I thought it was somewhere around 200hp, but sometimes what you see on the internet is unreliable...

Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 AM
CKeffer
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
She's supposed to get good gas mileage, but with her practically begging to be driven hard it's difficult to actually accomplish that

Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Let's see............ Items that have been mentioned:

1. I never got a sunroof because I thought it took up too much of the roof space. Now that I live in AZ, I'm REALLY glad I skipped it.
2. I love the toggles.
3. I love the "pull-twice" door handles. I find them charming.
4. My seat belt does not seem to get stuck between the door and the seat, but I think it depends on how long your legs are (I'm 5' 5").
5. I have two actual, functioning cup holders--the add on, and the one between the seats. The two down in the front under the dash pillar I use for my garage door opener and miscellaneous goodies. I use the space between the pillars for my CDs--a bunch fit in there nicely.
6. The run-flats were annoying and expensive, but that problem has been remedied with my wonderful Yokohamas, and MINI donut behind the passenger seat.
7. The direct fuel injection click-click sound is kind of odd, but that's part of the car's uniqueness.
8. The back seat is kind of useless for passengers, but then I knew that when I bought it. The fold down seats and hatch make up for any storage issues.

That's about it. Almost all of these things I knew before I bought the car and if I didn't like them, I wouldn't have bought it. There are always improvements to be made to any car, but that's why they come out with new MINIs every year. That being said, it would be very hard to part with this one, my first. Too many great memories.

Paula

Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
LimiterOne
1st Gear
What do I hate? TBH, I hate front-wheel drive... if Miranda was RWD or AWD I would be absolutely totally more in love than I already am.

Otherwise, I got nuthin'.

Peace and MINIs

LO

Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
He's leaking all over the place! I don't really hate it. It forces me to really get to know the ins and outs of my MINI as I fix all my leaks.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 AM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fmalgapo
1.) having to crane my neck at traffic lights to see if its red or green
+1

For a while I never realized how much this was a "problem" but today on my way to work I was the first car at the light. And I finally see what you (and others that complain about this) are talking about. So, that is on my list now. Granted it is a very short list lol.

Even with the little things that bug me, this car is still at the very top of my favourite cars list.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 PM
nick49
1st Gear
I came here because I was thinking of buying a MINI but dang you guys got me scared to death to buy one now.
+1

I hear ya!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:39 PM
FormerHummer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nick49
+1

I hear ya!

Oh, everyone with any car has little things they like complain about, that doesn't mean they don't love it. If you noticed, after every complaint, there is a "but I'd buy a MINI all over again" comment too. lol

Personally, I think that most of the complaints about the car are kind of silly because many of them were known well before we bought our MINIs.

As I posted, I find the quirks fairly charming and if I didn't, I wouldn't have bought it.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:44 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FormerHummer
Oh, everyone with any car has little things they like complain about, that doesn't mean they don't love it. If you noticed, after every complaint, there is a "but I'd buy a MINI all over again" comment too. lol

Personally, I think that most of the complaints about the car are kind of silly because many of them were known well before we bought our MINIs.

As I posted, I find the quirks fairly charming and if I didn't, I wouldn't have bought it.
It makes me wonder if folks would be so vigorous if they were thinking about buying a Chevy or a Ford. Somehow I don't think so. It almost seems like folks are trying to talk themselves out of buying a MINI.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:56 AM
MINI*8R
2nd Gear
Maybe if people weren't so picky the JDP surveys wouldn't show MINI at the bottom of the list. While it's fun to pick up on things that are annoying and make a place to post such things, I'd almost bet there is a relationship between this type of post and our position on the JDP survey. IMHO, of course.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/03/...dy/#more-15813

Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM
MarkGo
Neutral
I can't say I ~hate~ anything but some things I would turn in to MINI as suggested improvements:

1. The thing about water dripping on your seat when you open the door.

2. An interior toggle switch to open the rear hatch would be nice.

3. It's really hard to crack the window open just a wee bit - hold the switch too long and it goes down all the way, too little and it still opens about 1 inch before stopping.

4. For the non-rain sensing wipers, I love how they drop from "on" to "intermittent" while the car is stopped. Why don't they also drop from "intermittent" to "off"?

Last edited by MarkGo; 03-26-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM
phillip.beaudry
Neutral
No adjustable intermittent wipers, and why is the hood release on the passenger side?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:59 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Well just drove mine the first time in the rain, well the rain in the door is a pain but man that's the only thing I've find that annoys me so far.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,136 Likes on 891 Posts
Originally Posted by phillip.beaudry
...why is the hood release on the passenger side?
They "fixed" that on the Gen 2 it's now on the left side. but I like the turn signal switch detents on the Gen 1 better. The sport seats on my '04 are also better than those on my '07 S. They are wider and softer now...not as good for spirited driving . Minor complaints compared to how great the car is otherwise

Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 AM
bolar
3rd Gear
I thought it kind of sad they moved the bonnet release to the left side. So many changes from the first generation to the second. It would be interesting to know how they came up with the decisions to change and why.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bolar
I thought it kind of sad they moved the bonnet release to the left side. So many changes from the first generation to the second. It would be interesting to know how they came up with the decisions to change and why.
More conventional. Probably confused a lot of people as it did me the first time I tried to pop the hood open. The car did not have a manual and I had to google it.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:12 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Water never drips on my seat, when I open the door. Where is it coming from, for you guys?

Dave

Old 03-26-2011, 11:44 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Water never drips on my seat, when I open the door. Where is it coming from, for you guys?

Dave
Mine runs straight down from the roof lands right in the middle of the seat.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
How the hell does that happen.. use a picture and the paint program to show us im confused

Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 PM
MINI*8R
2nd Gear

Glass roof -- get Schomp to fix that.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINI*8R
Glass roof -- get Schomp to fix that.
So is the water leaking threw the sunroof? if so then y do people keep saying when the door opens?

Old 03-26-2011, 03:23 PM
VYPUR
5th Gear
No leak, it just seems to run in when I open the door. I asume because of the lack of a gutter

Old 03-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
No leak, it just seems to run in when I open the door. I asume because of the lack of a gutter
how does it run in all the way to drip on the middle of your seat?

Quick Reply: What You Hate Most about Your Mini???