General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What You Hate Most about Your Mini???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:05 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I hate the sunroof. But honestly, if I got the roof replaced with a plane roof, I'd get a black vinyl graphic to emulate the sunroof's appearance.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 PM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fmalgapo
1.) having to crane my neck at traffic lights to see if its red or green
Get a Light In Sight. It feels stupid to pay $20 for a piece of plastic until you notice that your neck pains have significantly decreased!

Originally Posted by R35P3CT DA M1N1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
2. Double pull to get out of car.

for some reason i really like this about my mini.
I really like that too.

I guess I dislike the brake dust and that the MINI doesnt fit through my front door and I have to leave it in the garage...although I guess that is more what I dislike about my house.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 PM
darwinian
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fmalgapo
1.) having to crane my neck at traffic lights to see if its red or green
Second that. I even tried to lower my seat so it'd be easier, but that didnt work out for me. So i usually don't drive all the way up to the light and sometimes i switch lanes just not to be the first car at light

Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 AM
krishnika
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. no auto up for windows
2. the US big cup holder - on the right, gets in the way of the passenger knees, on the left hits the fan button to max on the climate control
3. how quickly grime accumulates on the back while the rest of the car stays relatively clean.

Those are minor irritations. I don't hate anything about my MINI.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:04 AM
iporkgoats
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by krishnika
1. no auto up for windows
Those are minor irritations. I don't hate anything about my MINI.
auto up for windows came after 06, sorry buddy. i have an 09 and they go up with one switch of the toggle

As far as being able to see the traffic light when stopped at a light, i use the pedestrian cross walk signals to know when the light will turn green. Flashing don't walk = get ready and when both directions have don't walk, that light is going to change any second.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 AM
turbo tecnica
2nd Gear
I don't really 'hate' anything on the MINI, but some of my dislikes are:

1) holding the toggle to roll up the windows
2) runflats
3) squeak(s) in the dashboard
4) way the rear pull handle gets water in it and can short out when washing the car
5) cup holder situation
6) primitive navigation system
7) lack of water temp. and oil pressure gauges.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
I would have to say the double door pull is the thing I hate the most.
for those of you with brake dust problems and are not ready to put on a different set of pads, Eagle one and Armor All make a product you spray on your wheels, when they are clean cold and dry. Let it sit for at least an hour DO NOT RUB IT OFF, I log 500 miles a week, and my wheels are almst spot less now since I started to use this, even after rain.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:03 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Other than the fact that it is not All Wheel Drive, and dosent come with 300HP. I am verry happy with my current MINI but if I needed to pick a couple things:
(1) The seats, verry un-supportive for a car that is made to corner. (FIXED With SPARCO's)
and (2) I need to go with post #1, all the water on the roof seems to come right in my window.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:07 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Many of the things listed are correctable (or, at least could've been avoidable with different options in the car).

The lack of auto-up windows in the gen-1's...correctable, with the Cull/FEZ circuit.

Goofy US-market add-on cupholder...correctable, by simply removing it and adding the MINI FINI version instead (which might appear similar, but it sits lower, and it moves out of the way, which makes all the difference).

Double-pull...correctable, if you don't like it, by going to a dealer and having it un-programmed. (Having to go to the dealer to do this in the first place, however, IS a legitimate issue!)

Brake dust...fact of life, owning a German car with stock pads. Better get used to it. BTW, what were those Eagle-One and (yuck)--ArmorAll products again?

Crappy early nav system...could have been avoided...

Lack of water and oil gauges...could have been avoided, with the chrono package.

Squeaks in the dash...LEGITIMATE. There's no excuse for this widespread problem in a modern "premium" small car.

Strut mushrooming issue...LEGITIMATE. Again, no excuse...

Off-idle throttle delay...correctable (I think), with an aftermarket throttle controller...but still very annoying, especially with the A/C on! (This would probably be second on my list of annoyances, after the runflats, and the aftermarket throttle controller-thing doesn't really sit well with me...kinda like a "ricer-mod" that I don't really want to get into...so, I've learned to live with the annoyance.)

Seats' lack of adjustability...LEGITIMATE, although, personally, I find them reasonably comfortable (cloth sport seats, in my case), and I don't find them to be unsupportive at all.

Dreadfully awful stock audio system...avoidable/correctable. Avoidable, in that the HK is better, but arguably not worth the extra cost; and correctable, in that the DPSM system is a great--however expensive--upgrade, which arguably IS worth the cost, but is hard to justify after the fact.

Last edited by ellcapitan; 07-25-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 PM
05Greenie
4th Gear
I too hate the "no auto up" on the windows...I agree it should be a standard option. Wind noise from the sunroof (highway only) awesome around town. Also the lack of power whent he AC is active. Definetly going "S" model next time. One additional beef is the angle of the wind shield make it prone to pits VERY easily.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:28 PM
mbu
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Clubman and I hate the light in the "boot"! It's near the floor and if one has anything in there that is taller than 2-inches, forget about it helping.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:59 PM
craigpoff
1st Gear
Getting stuff in and out of the backseat. I had not had a two door car for decades and forgotten what a pain it can often be, as the exit area, even with the front seat folded down, is tight. Doesn't happen often...usually I can stow my limited stuff in the rear or the front passenger seat/floor

Old 07-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Then there's the pain of having to put gas in it every 400 miles.

I seriously wish it had a larger tank. The originals used to have a 24 gallon optional rally tank as I remember (it fit where the back seat went). It would run forever on that much gas (and it used to cost about $8.00 to fill it up).

Old 07-25-2010, 05:24 PM
hoonpv
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Herleman
Then there's the pain of having to put gas in it every 400 miles.

I seriously wish it had a larger tank. The originals used to have a 24 gallon optional rally tank as I remember (it fit where the back seat went). It would run forever on that much gas (and it used to cost about $8.00 to fill it up).
are you being sarcastic or are you serious?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
I meant to be perfectly serious. I would like to be able to run up to the Wash DC area to see my daughter without having to find gas in NC in the middle of the night. I'd also like to be able to make the run to Colorado with just a couple of stops.

I've actually looked into putting an extra tank (more correctly, a fuel cell with anti-leak foam, etc.) in the back seat, but there are so many vapor lines and carbon canisters and the like, that it looks like a technical nightmare.

Obviously not a true "hated" issue, bit I do find the tank a bit small for any sort of long distance cruising -- and I find the Mini to be pretty good at that.

I, of course, am very happy that I can go 400 miles on about 12 gallons of gas -- that's never a complaint, but I do wish it would go further.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:54 PM
hoonpv
4th Gear
gotcha

i'm pretty satisfied with the size of the tank that MINI comes with, (i think it's about 15-16 gallons) with the range of 320ish (i drive enthusiastically and mods don't really help either)

but then I rarely do long distance cruising and gas stations are.. well.. too many of them here in the southern california.

it would be awesome to get a range of way greater than 400 w/ extra 10 gallon capacity but then I won't like added weight in the rear

Old 07-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The MC gas tank is 13.2 gallons with the reserve figured in, not 15+

Old 07-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
I wasn't being exact, but in general, I put about 11.5 to 12.5 in the tank at every fillup. I generally go 400 to 425 on that. That calculates to somewhere around 33 mpg. ON the highway, I've actually gotten 450 to 480 from a tank driving normal speeds and using the cruise control. That generally calculates to around 36 to 40 mpg if I behave -- less if I have fun, but on I-95, fun is a relative term (more like point and snooze). But my daughter lives just over 800 miles from me, and it would be neat to be able to go there non-stop (especially since there is now a daughter junior).

I don't know what you mean by "gotcha", but I guess I fell for something stupid. Not uncommon for me.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:04 PM
dlefever
1st Gear
OK...coming from a "car guy" who has been driving a Toyota Sienna minivan for the last 12 years and 160,000 miles, I hate that I had to wait until my kids grew up and we no longer needed the "everything" hauler minivan so I could get a MINI...in other words, the think I hate most about my MINIis that all of you bastards had the opportunity to own and drive a MINI before me!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:15 PM
Glassgate
1st Gear
I hate that my Mini Clubman is a dust magnet, but I do get to wash it and spend time admiring it; so I guess it evens out

Old 07-25-2010, 07:15 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
[quote=Herleman;3098242]I meant to be perfectly serious. I would like to be able to run up to the Wash DC area to see my daughter without having to find gas in NC in the middle of the night. I'd also like to be able to make the run to Colorado with just a couple of stops. quote]

I dont think the range of my MCS is that bad at all. I drove it down to Nashville TN from my house in Denver CO, and only had to fill up twice, and whenever I got there. With a full tank leaving Denver, I made it to Salina KS on the first tank and it took every drop. From there I made it to ST.Louis MO, got lost for about a half an hour, until I found another MINI owner with a map, Then continued to MT. Vernon IL on tank 2. Tank 3 got me to Nashvegas about 18 hours after I left my house.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 PM
hoonpv
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Agarwaen
The MC gas tank is 13.2 gallons with the reserve figured in, not 15+
hmm, i actually have put in 14+ on my car before..

i must have brimmed it to the very edge

Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Rabidfox
2nd Gear
I hate the availability of parts and the marketplace...I'm currently negotiating with samco to have hoses made for my Mercedes...the mini's only $400

I hate this damn forum's marketplace...everything goes so fast I can't help but buy stuff when it shows up. Stuff I don't need right now but "omg
It's a good price and some bastards gonna get it before me and I'll have to pay retail"

I think I spent at least a grand in my first month of ownership

I also hate how much fun it is to drive...haven't seen anything over 22.4mpg...does that count

Old 07-25-2010, 08:08 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Ahh sarcasim is a beautiful thing.

I do agree on not liking the cost of real mod parts for MINI's, so far since February my parts total is up to $8895.78 its $9360.98 if you include shiping, and I still dont have any intention of stoping.

Is it wrong to spend more on mods than you payed for the car its self?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:15 PM
valcom111t
4th Gear
I hate that it won't last forever.

Quick Reply: What You Hate Most about Your Mini???