General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What You Hate Most about Your Mini???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 AM
fishey72
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave

I don't understand the run-flat hate either.

Dave
My hate was what happened after the flat.

The tire shop destroyed the bead trying to take the tire off to repair a simple flat at 5:00 pm. Then ordered tire, that ended up not being in stock, then next day reordered again from somewhere else, then next day after that paid $50 ship + $350 for tire installed. It ended up costing 3 days of vacation and 2 nights in a hotel + paying for the resort hotel we should have been staying in. It was like a $1,000 tire when it was all done.

Will never ever depend on a run flat again. NEVER.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
So, you blame the tires, instead of the incompetants at the tire store?

Dave

Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Keyser_Soze
3rd Gear
If he didn't have run-flats, the problem would not have presented itself... IMO yes, I would blame the tires...

Not the tire stores problem that Mini Cooper chose to use a non-standard tire on their cars... Ones that are difficult to source and expensive to boot...

Cause & effect...

Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM
fishey72
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
So, you blame the tires, instead of the incompetants at the tire store?

Dave
Yes, since a spare would have fixed the problem instantly.

Then two of my regular local stores refused to fix another flat due to it being a 'run-flat', so I bought a repair kit and did it myself.

Then I got charged double at another local tire store for peeling the worn out run-flats. Due to 'difficulty', they broke something and someone got hurt doing it and had to come back the next day.

All of these were either national chain stores, or long standing reputable local shops where I have had tires done for years.

Bad luck, incompetence, stupidity? Dunno, but I do not ever want to have a run-flat again.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
They destroyed the bead, taking the tire off the wheel! If that isn't incompetence, what is? They were dealing with a low profile tire on an alloy wheel, you'd think they'd know to be careful.

Dave

Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 PM
TinyRed1
2nd Gear
So basically, if someone wanted to get rid of their Run Flat tires, your only options (to prepare for a flat) are to:
1. buy that goo stuff to repair it on the road
2. buy a spare & have to keep it in the back of the car
?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:56 PM
fishey72
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TinyRed1
So basically, if someone wanted to get rid of their Run Flat tires, your only options (to prepare for a flat) are to:
1. buy that goo stuff to repair it on the road
2. buy a spare & have to keep it in the back of the car
?
Me: Fix-o-flat can (or whatever brand), 12vdc air compressor, tire repair kit, cell phone.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:23 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Don't forget AAA or other Autoclub!

This is fun Huh!?

Dave

Old 08-04-2010, 02:09 PM
TinyRed1
2nd Gear
Well, I've got the cell phone & AAA! hehe.
Yea, I learned early to get AAA (I had 2 flats on a previous vehicle in a matter of 7 months.....talk about bad luck!!!).

Old 08-04-2010, 03:22 PM
mininoir
2nd Gear
The only thing I dislike about my MINI is that the doors sound so heavy and clunky when you close them.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Teibito
2nd Gear
Horn

Well now that we are knit picking. The sound of the horn is not very mini-like. I would have expected something more like a 'meep'. But to be honest, I hardly ever use my horn. The growl of the exhaust on the JCW is enough to get pedestrians in the cross walk running for cover.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
iamsteve710
4th Gear
I don't understand the run-flat hate either.

Dave[/quote]

Dave it's not about hate, it's about comfort and performance.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 PM
krishnika
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by krishnika
1. no auto up for windows
2. the US big cup holder - on the right, gets in the way of the passenger knees, on the left hits the fan button to max on the climate control
3. how quickly grime accumulates on the back while the rest of the car stays relatively clean.

Those are minor irritations. I don't hate anything about my MINI.
So, I bought and installed the MiniFini cupholder which is awesome! so irritation #2 no longer exists! After my warranty is up at the end of the year, I'll probably buy the auto-up circuit, so that will take care of #1. Wish there was something I could do about the back end grime. Maybe I should get a California duster and just swish it at the end of every day.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 PM
TinyRed1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Teibito
Well now that we are knit picking. The sound of the horn is not very mini-like. I would have expected something more like a 'meep'. But to be honest, I hardly ever use my horn. The growl of the exhaust on the JCW is enough to get pedestrians in the cross walk running for cover.
I used mine today for the first time...just to try it out & listen to what it sounds like.
I was impressed. I thought it would sound like a mouse fart!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 PM
hoonpv
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TinyRed1
I used mine today for the first time...just to try it out & listen to what it sounds like.
I was impressed. I thought it would sound like a mouse fart!
the horn sounds very dignified. not like stupid MEEP MEEP GET OUT OF THE WAY kind of way like many cheap horns.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think they've changed the horn a couple of times over the years. Mine's an '05 and it has an average-sounding dual-tone "American-style" honk-type horn (if you'll pardon all the hyphenations). I find it neither overpowering, nor inadequate. ("Overpowering", to me though, would have been better!)

Since I'm here, there is another thing: ...Oh wait, I forgot it already...

Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 PM
mininoir
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by krishnika
So, I bought and installed the MiniFini cupholder which is awesome! so irritation #2 no longer exists! After my warranty is up at the end of the year, I'll probably buy the auto-up circuit, so that will take care of #1. Wish there was something I could do about the back end grime. Maybe I should get a California duster and just swish it at the end of every day.

The California Duster is great! I highly recommend it! I live in a very dry, arid climate and I can just run it over the car before I leave in the am and it makes a huge difference

Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
I can't believe that I've read four pages and didn't see my chief beef? The door hinge holders that keeps the doors open so you can get out of the car. On even the slightest incline, the heavy doors become a horizontal guillotine. My girlfriend has had her right leg hammered several times as well as mine.

I recently had a 2010 convert loaner that had the same problem. Anyone else experience this and is there a fix?

Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Maybe stronger springs in the door holder?

Maybe there is a quality control problem with the springs, I've read other complaints about the doors not staying open, but haven't had a problem with it myself. My door holder detents are very positive.

Dave

Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 AM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Charlie Croker
I can't believe that I've read four pages and didn't see my chief beef? The door hinge holders that keeps the doors open so you can get out of the car. On even the slightest incline, the heavy doors become a horizontal guillotine. My girlfriend has had her right leg hammered several times as well as mine.

I recently had a 2010 convert loaner that had the same problem. Anyone else experience this and is there a fix?
It's in here, you just missed it. Refer to post #60. Although my complaint wasn't that they're too weak, or that the doors are too heavy, but rather that the stops are spaced wrong. I CAN see your point though...

Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Charlie Croker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ellcapitan
It's in here, you just missed it. Refer to post #60. Although my complaint wasn't that they're too weak, or that the doors are too heavy, but rather that the stops are spaced wrong. I CAN see your point though...
Well Ell,

Thank you for directing me to your post. I would suggest a third indention in between the first and second. I can't tell you how many times they have broken loose on my leg. They hold until you start moving and the movement of the vehicle shakes the door loose and WHAM!

In the end, they need slightly stronger anchor points for the heavy doors!

Old 08-08-2010, 01:41 PM
cartkev
Neutral
1) As well very aggrevated with the water coming in windows and doors when opened after a rain or in the morning. The rain gutters do not appear to do the job.
2)Brake dust is horrific.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:22 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cartkev
1) As well very aggrevated with the water coming in windows and doors when opened after a rain or in the morning. The rain gutters do not appear to do the job.
2)Brake dust is horrific.
To answer both of these complaints, if I may (hey, it's okay to offer solutions too, right?)...I do the following:

1) I do a good imitation of the inside-"double pull", when opening the door from the outside in the rain, or when the car is wet. In other words, I gently unlatch the door first without opening it, then--in a second deliberate step--I actually open the door. This eliminates the air vacuum, which (when opening the door quickly) acts to pull the water in just as the window cracks open. Works like a charm!

2) AutoZone sells a microfiber duster specifically made for wheels. Use it every day, or every couple of days, staying on top of the situation. As such, it only takes a couple of minutes to do all 4 wheels. Make this a routine (like when you get home from work...which is what I do) and soon you won't even give it a second thought. ...An absolutely painless, and safe way to always have clean rims! Otherwise, I'd say yeah...start thinking about changing out the MINI/BM-dust'ble-U pads.

Last edited by ellcapitan; 08-08-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 PM
cartkev
Neutral
Ok I will give your door opening trick a try. That might me save me some water abuse. The other issue that I have is after you are in the vehicle and you roll down the window, either at that point my arm and interior door takes a bath or as soon as I start driving the water starts coming in from what was accumulated on the roof. The same holds true for the passenger side as well.
Unfortunately the car sits outside at nite so there is dew quite often on the roof. So this is like a daily thing. If the rubber pieces that are on the roof/door line on top are supposed to be gutter gaurds they seem like they just can't handle the capacity. Enough said just a complaint.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM
04Mini-S
2nd Gear
I almost had a F250 slam into the side of me because his lane ran out. Out of panic, I hit the center of the steering wheel instead of one of the buttons...I hate that configuration with a passion

Quick Reply: What You Hate Most about Your Mini???