General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Wiper Blades?.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good Wiper Blades?.........

Hello,

I got my Mini last summer (a nice used 06 full JCW cab) and on a subsequent road trip, discovered that the wiper blades were shot. (Southern California car so likely little rain or incentive to replace them.) So, I went to the Mini dealer and bought some new factory inserts. They're terrible. They chatter all the time on the upstroke. I cleaned the windshield really well. No improvement. I cleaned and treated the windshield with Rain-X. No improvement. Recleaned the windshield and cleaned the blades. Still chatters like crazy on the upstroke. So......

Did I just get a bum set of inserts? Or is there a better aftermarket supplier? Just the insert would be great. But if I have to buy the frame as well, that's OK too. But I'd like to be able to just buy the inserts the next time rather than keep buying the whole frame/holder for the blade, so a manufacturer that sells the inserts separately for their holders would be preferred. Also, I don't want those big horsey double blade affairs with airfoils and wings and such.

Any and all recommendations appreciated.

Thanks much!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 AM
lotsie
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosch Icon's I've been using them for a few years now, very happy with them.

Mark

Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
I like the PIAAs, but they are pricey.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:02 AM
04Mini-S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lotsie

Mark
I agree. Very quiet and a very clean wipe every time.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by OPC
Well into my second year....no streaks....no lift off at speed....curve fits mt GEN1 mini great, 100% coverage.....be sure to get the Silicone ones..The ones I got are curved.....they have a cheaper Carbon/rubber ones that I have not heard good things about....they arun about $35 a pair....are great quality items...look nice too!!

I tried the newer single blade/holder types....they did not curve enough to give 100% coverage on a MINI.

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...ni_cooper.html

PIAA's super silicone wiper blades have proven to be among the best wipers blades on the market and are excellent at what they do. If your MINI Cooper needs new wiper blades, these make an excellent choice.

The wiper insert of all PIAA wiper blades is made of silicone rubber, which ensures greater visibility by coating the windshield with silicone to promote continuous water beading in inclement weather. Water beads up into droplets at low speeds that are easily removed by ordinary wiping. And at higher speeds, wind pressure pushes the water off the windshield, often without even requiring wiper use. The silicone coating also reduces drag and eliminates annoying and inefficient chattering, regardless of the shape of the windshield to provide greater comfort for both driver and passenger. And the best part is that PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Blades reapply the silicone coating every time the wipers are used.

PIAA wiper blades maintain a sharp, clean edge and offer better resistance to all climates - heat, ozone, ultra-violet, and wear - clearly out performing the industry standard.

Sold as a matching front set of both passenger (19") and driver (18") and are complete replacements for the stock wiper blades. There is not a PIAA replacement wiper for the rear.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 03-02-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added quite/link to wiper info and sizes
Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Thanks for those suggestions. I found this article and was wondering if the problem described in the article is also there with the Mini:

http://www.carbibles.com/productrevi...xlatitude.html

Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
kalililly
3rd Gear
If they are chattering they may just need an adjustment. There is another thread about chatter on this site. I also saw a You Tube article about this and the 'mechanic' did an adjustment which stopped the chatter. This is basically about the angle the blade makes with the glass...Try You Tube "Mini Cooper Wiper Blade Chatter, DIY..."

Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
I tried the newer single blade/holder types....they did not curve enough to give 100% coverage on a MINI.
Hmmmm.....that was one of the things I was wondering about. 100% coverage is important to me. Especially with a 1st gen cab.

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Try this:

Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM
martinb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OPC

Compared to the prices I've seen for the Icons, the PIAA's are downright cheap.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Tsiggy
Alliance Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the Latitude wipers from RainX....at first they seemed a bit chunky looking on the car but my wife told me to stop obsessing....they work great. Kept the old wiper if I ever want to go back. Hope this helps....Cheers

Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM
martinb
6th Gear
minicooperwill: all I get is a blank white box on my screen.

Re the PIAA's. Do you guys use the Super Silicone or the curved Super Silicone. Or do you use the Super Sporza?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by martinb

Re the PIAA's. Do you guys use the Super Silicone or the curved Super Silicone. Or do you use the Super Sporza?
Hmm, IDK, it is working fine for me. Is it working for anyone else?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
[quote=martinb;2995805
Re the PIAA's. Do you guys use the Super Silicone or the curved Super Silicone. Or do you use the Super Sporza?[/quote]

Curved Super Silicone!!

Simply ingenious!! Hugs the windshield perfectly like OEM. No complaints.

Factory wiper blades seem to last 6 months....OK when free....but still a pain...especially after the free ones run out!!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Try this:

It apperas on my screen.....fine....they basicly just bend the wiper arm....if a car is in storage for long periods....it can bend slightly causing some chatter.....it will not effect streaking or coverage....just fix SOME chatter issues due to the arm being bent. Cars that have spent all winter in storage can have this issue.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:40 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus

I am using the base Silicon with no issues.

One thing to mention, the PIAAs come with a little windshield-prep wipe (silicon impregnated) that seems to do wonders for how the wiper rides on the glass. After prepping the windshield, I almost don't need the wipers.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Thanks all of you for the suggestions. Especially the one about tweaking the wiper arms. (Finally got the link to work.) I went out at lunch and tweaked them a bit. Fortunately, it was sprinkling, so I was able to test them. Improved with the first tweak, a little better with the 2nd tweak, and finally, totally cured the chatter with the third tweak. (I was being cautious with my bending.) Bottom line: Not a hint of chatter, full 100 % coverage, perfectly clean sweep. Nice.

Thanks so much again! Cheers!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:42 PM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Thanks all of you for the suggestions. Especially the one about tweaking the wiper arms. (Finally got the link to work.) I went out at lunch and tweaked them a bit. Fortunately, it was sprinkling, so I was able to test them. Improved with the first tweak, a little better with the 2nd tweak, and finally, totally cured the chatter with the third tweak. (I was being cautious with my bending.) Bottom line: Not a hint of chatter, full 100 % coverage, perfectly clean sweep. Nice.

Thanks so much again! Cheers!
Its always nice when something you see online actually works for you.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:47 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OPC
I am using the base Silicon with no issues.

One thing to mention, the PIAAs come with a little windshield-prep wipe (silicon impregnated) that seems to do wonders for how the wiper rides on the glass. After prepping the windshield, I almost don't need the wipers.
i'm running the PIAAs as well. they work well with my Aquapel treated windshield.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:07 PM
CFMINI
4th Gear
PIAA's +6 ( I think) Curved Super Silicone

Old 03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Maybe when my current inserts wear out, I might try the carbon fiber PIAA's. They might go nicely with my other carbon fiber trim pieces.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsie

Mark
+1
They are the best wiper blades that I have used to date. They are on all of our cars.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Been using the Silblades for years on our cars with no complaints.

Love the lifetime warranty.

Chattering can also be caused by the rubber going hard.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Based on recommendations here I bought a set of PIAA Silicones (straight) from OutMotoring to replace the Rain-X wipers (not Latitudes... something else) that the previous owner had installed. I actually thought the Rain-X wipers were pretty good, they just had gotten very old.

Based on the past couple of weeks -- including some pretty good downpours -- the PIAA wipers seem pretty good.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tsiggy
I have the Latitude wipers from RainX....at first they seemed a bit chunky looking on the car but my wife told me to stop obsessing....they work great. Kept the old wiper if I ever want to go back. Hope this helps....Cheers
Got those last year, and they don't give 100% coverage. The blade can't follow the curve of the Mini windshield. They do ok, but not going to buy them again.

Quick Reply: Good Wiper Blades?.........