General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are you doing to handle your Mini in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM
njfoltz
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you doing to handle your Mini in the snow

I love my Mini Clubman, but it is poorly handling even an inch of snow, despite highly rated all-season tires with plenty of tread on them. Please share how well your Mini handles four inches of snow or less, and if you are happy with your experience, please indicate what tires you are using or other measures you may be taking.

I used to live in Minneapolis and I know how to drive on snow, but my Mini is not cooperating. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive my MINI year round and have plenty of opportunities to drive in snow. My snow tires are the Blizzaks and they work very well. Some times I find I have to disengage the DSC so it will allow me to spin the tires. Otherwise the engine will just keep adjusting downward and I go no where.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:15 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Honestly, to my surprise, I have found that my MINI handles as well in light snow as my SUV did. I was very concerned about this before I bought my MINI. Above 4-6 inches and I'll take the SUV however due to the clearance issue of course. For the record, I have all season stock 15 inch. But again, I see little to no difference between my old SUV and my MINI when driving in light snow. I just take my time and drive carefully no matter what I am driving.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM
dogdal24
5th Gear
We have 2 MINI's and they both run Blizzaks in the winter and they have great traction. My wife was afraid to drive in the snow with her all seasons, but since we got her the Blizzaks she has had no problems and has even remarked how well her car is in the snow.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
jerzrunr
2nd Gear
I haven't had any problems with the snow we've had in NJ this past month. I did buy 15" Michelin X-ICE snows 3 years ago, like them so much I got a pair for the wife's Passat. Agree with comment on occasionally turning DSC off in controlled situations (getting out of driveway), but leave it on for general driving.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
is your clubbie an S and what size tires/wheels you got on it? Some all season tires that say they are rated for snow really aren't. I had some pirelli tires that were rated decently from tire rack for the snow. First time out in the snow with them I made it maybe a block from the house and came right back. There was less than an inch then. I don't use anything other than snows now. I've got the michellin X-ice. I've used the dunlop winter sport M3 tires which were awesome. Very good dry road handling as well as wet. Gave up a tiny bit of snow traction for the better dry. Never got stuck with those though even in the deep stuff.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2010 MCS with the auto and 215/50-16 Kuhmo ASX. DSC turned off, no sport button, and a feathered take off from a stop...I do just fine. I find the toughest part is take off on ice/snow pack, but once I'm going it no issue at all.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
I have simple all-seasons on my car, and I find that it is easiest to turn off the DSC and just take it easy when it comes to braking and turning.

I've found that my car handles wonderfully in the snow.

-Chase

Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
All Season simply means they do nothing well. I run 15" Nokian WRs and nothing stops me but really deep snow.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
All seasons mean all seasons except snow season. Get youself some snow tires and I think your problem will disappear.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:31 AM
OLarryR
3rd Gear
I have the all season 17" Continental Contact Pros and here in VA we had the largest annual anowfall in history this winter. I fouind the Clubman handled okay in the snow. Not fantastic but decent. I actually found that my old '97 Honda Del Sol with semi-old Goodyear Eagles handled better in the snow.

So, I really do not have a major issue with driving in the snow with either small car but there is a snow limit as to if you can drive at all with some of these small cars with low clearance to the road. The MINI has a plastic shield under the front end and that woud limit driving in aything above say 4" or so. Depends on where the snow bunches up as various road conditions emerge in your travels or just leaving the driveway. If the plastic shield is going to see abuse, then best not to drive.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 AM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The 16 in. "all-season" Dunlop SP5000 runflats, on my MCS, are just about the worst tires I've ever had the horror of experiencing in the snow! I never thought I'd see another all-season tire as bad as my wife's Cooper Zeons on her old Benz, but these are every bit as bad...maybe worse, b/c her car was rwd, and this, of course, is fwd and the car is still just all over the place in the snow! The car only made it half way up the first (very) moderate hill it encountered, after leaving the house, after this last big snow storm. This was after they plowed the road (with a couple inches of fresh unplowed snow added). I was less than a half mile from the house, so I took it as a bad omen, reversed back down this mild upgrade, and went back home.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:29 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by njfoltz
I love my Mini Clubman, but it is poorly handling even an inch of snow, despite highly rated all-season tires with plenty of tread on them. Please share how well your Mini handles four inches of snow or less, and if you are happy with your experience, please indicate what tires you are using or other measures you may be taking.

I used to live in Minneapolis and I know how to drive on snow, but my Mini is not cooperating. Thanks!
What highly rated A/S tires are you running ?

How is your alignment ? Is your suspension stock ?

I have all season radials on my MCS. And contrary to a post here there are some which are great in any weather.

I have used Bridgestone Potenza RE019's Grids, and they were excellent. I am currently running Pirelli PZero Nero all season tires and they have awesome grip in dry, wet and in the snow. They are also wearing better than expected.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:33 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
My MINI will go anywhere in the snow... Blizzaks!
Here's a word of advice... do not buy steelies... there are so many good buys on used MINI wheels both here on NAM and on e-Bay.
They look a lot better than steelies and you won't have to deal with plastic hubcaps.
I bought a set of used wheels for about $100.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 AM
njfoltz
Neutral
Thanks for your advice

Thanks for your tips and comments. I hadn't realized that turning off DSC would help. In answer to questions that some of you asked, I'm currently using Continental ContiProContact SSRs, and my tire size is 195/55R16. I'm definitely getting winter tires next fall.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Snow tires FTW

I'm running on Hakka 2 snow tires 185/65/15. They work great as will any real snow tire. Once the snow gets too deep the MINI's lack of ground clearance does you in.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:53 PM
lotsie
Banned
When I lived in Manitoba, I had Pirelli snow contacts, and I could get through well over 6 inches of fresh snow no problem.

Mark

Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 PM
someguyfromMaryland
2nd Gear
Before the snow hits, I wash the car, vacuum and detail the interior, dry everything well, drive it up and down the driveway to dry the brakes, then I put it in the garage and drive my Jetta until the snow and salt are off the roads!!!

So far it seems to be very effective.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Fcal124
2nd Gear
I drive my F150

Old 03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
MattSaint
3rd Gear
One thing I learned recently...

I did some research on All-Season Tires for my wife's vehicle. I went to ConsumerReports.org and TireRack.com. I found ones that had good performance in the dry, wet and snow. I think they are Dunlops. Sorry can't remember right now. Anyway, I decided to purchase them local and found some and had them installed. Thru the fall they were great. First snow storm they were terrible. I jotted all the information down and then went and visited ConsumerReports again. Come to find out there was a huge difference in tire rating because of the difference in speed rating. The ones I purchased had a higher speed rating than the one in the report. Otherwise the exact same tire! Upon further reading I discovered a small blurp that spelled out exactly what I experienced. So, make sure when you select a tire, the speed rating is the same as the one you researched.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Snow tires are a must in the MINI. I've had my MINI for several years now, and this winter is the first time I've had snow tires. I will ALWAYS have snow tires now, the difference is AMAZING.

-Cody

Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
kemo
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What everyone else said......get yourself 4 good winter tires. The Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 is a great winter tire, but can be pricey. I really like the Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance 2 also. I had the Michelin's and have the Goodyear's now, one is as good as the other, which is to say, both have been excellent (these are on my other car, not the Mini, it gets put away for the winter)

Last edited by kemo; 03-03-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:19 PM
ellcapitan
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any reputable dedicated winter tire will be vastly better than even the best "all-season" tire in the snow and ice. The differences between various winter tires are almost negligible relative to the improvements gained in winter conditions, over all-seasons. So IMHO, price should govern winter tires purchase, unless you live so far north that snow covered roads are a regular and routine occurance with an extended winter season.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Originally Posted by freez3
My MINI will go anywhere in the snow... Blizzaks!
Here's a word of advice... do not buy steelies... there are so many good buys on used MINI wheels both here on NAM and on e-Bay.
They look a lot better than steelies and you won't have to deal with plastic hubcaps.
I bought a set of used wheels for about $100.
I love the look of my black Winter steelies. I wouldn't dream of hiding them behind a plastic hubcap!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:19 AM
ggonzale
3rd Gear
I have the ContiProContact 205/45/17 as summer tires but they did not handle well on snow so I bought a set of Blizzaks last December and they worked great.

Get some winter tires and you will not regret it

Quick Reply: What are you doing to handle your Mini in the snow