General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death of Hal... the fall of a giant killer.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death of Hal... the fall of a giant killer.

First off, NO I'm sorrys, **** happens, 40k miles at 300% of what the car came with from the factory and what I have been able to do with this community is irreplaceable.

I can not thank this community enough for how much we were helped this weekend, Dan, Eric, Chris, Jan, Josie, and everyone else... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

It's not what you think. The car over all is ok. It wasnt an accident.

When I was at the dragon I was concerned the car had been hurt. The last day the only gas they had was 87 octane. I only had 20 miles left, and had to get some. While I didnt boost the car knowing full well that's retarded in my case. There are just some hills and stuff that no matter how slow you go the car will boost a little, I didnt think it was enough to do anything. As soon as I could I got 93, however, by the time I got home I felt she wasnt running right. Obviously I was hoping for the best, maybe a little too optimistic.

This week end as I was about 20 miles outside of our destination I pulled into a gas station. As I rolled to a stop the car sounded a little funny, I thought maybe I lost a rocker, no biggie in the grand scheme of things. So I just shut her down and filled up.

When I went to start her back up the first time she didnt start, this happens sometimes with the huge injectors so no biggie. When she started up it was bad:disbelief it sounded like there was some sort of sedated seal in my motor shaking a box of marbles. :D

It wasnt too loud at first and thought maybe clutch noise, or again rockers. (yeah optimistic )

About 15 yards said other wise. I shut her down before it got worse.

At this point I am thankful I am so close to Grassroots Garage. Thanks to Dan from Grassroots I was able to get a reputable tow company to come out and pic us up.

At this point I was thinking it was a rod bearing or the flywheel let go, or something. Got to Dan's shop, went to get food, and then Dan was kind enough to give us a place to crash as it was now pretty late and everyone else had left long ago.

The next day we were up bright and early to continue the dyno day festivities. What a great day, I am in awe of what these cars are doing now. Thanks to Jan and RMW, Even "the three" (pulley, filter, exhaust) are making amazing power levels! I am blown away.

After everyone was taken care of as far as mods needed by the Grassroots Garage, Dan and I headed over and took a look at Hal. I knew where to start, cylinder #1. That tends to run the hottest, especially with the boost levels I run. I pulled the plug and it was covered with oil. While at that point I didnt really need to go any further. I pulled the other plugs just to see, they were ok. Dan proceeded to pull out his borescope and look down in #1. While there wasn't much to see, I did notice some scoring on the walls of the chamber.

As one final check to make sure it was what I thought we checked compression, sure enough Hal was flatlined. :crap:

I am a little sad, sad that my friend is gone. You see, the spirit that was Hal has left. The Motor that brought us the Wednesday build, the JCW killing 162 WHP Stock MINI is officially spent. A car that has been Unpossible under the most insane conditions has passed. Ever so quietly as we pulled into that gas station on friday night.:angel:

The good news is, obviously this car is mine... forever.:laff:

I already have some plans for what is next. The car will be re-birthed with a new name. The "era" of what has been is done. I have to admit, I am fairly excited. While the new look has been revealed, what I will do is still too far up in the air to say what I am going to do with the motor.

I can tell you, it's not going to be some thing like before, I am done with showing everyone what the MINI is capable of on the HP front as far as going BIG goes. It was an amazing experience, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Like the Man she was named after, she taught me more than I could have ever asked for while sharing with me a world I would have never enjoyed other wise.

R.I.P. HAL 2004--------------------

Last edited by Tüls; 07-20-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Apple
6th Gear
R.I.P and forever take the curves.....

Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
hemiheaded18
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-20-2008, 06:17 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
sorry to here this, but a new begining is upon us

Old 07-20-2008, 06:21 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
RIP HAL..Long Live V2

HAL was also the last featured MINI in the Alliance Mag. Download a copy and keep HAL's memory alive forever.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:42 PM
StoopidGirl
6th Gear
:(
this car has been such a huge part of our lives & relationships. Not only for Tüls & I but the mini community. I feel like she filled people with excitement, for some envy and for many a light at the end of the tunnel. I have no better words at the moment.
I can't wait until she lives again, it will be awkwardly silent around here until then...but I guess our grumpy old neighbor will be happy. LOL

viva la Hal! Rebirth is inevitable! :D muwah ha ha ha

Old 07-20-2008, 06:56 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like all great things, there comes a time when it has to be set aside as nothing more than memory, remember the good things about it... in the end, most things in life can have a re-birth, afterall, we live in the world of mass production

HAL now joins the history books of the Mk1 R53 era cars... have a safe trip to the other side

Old 07-20-2008, 07:02 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Chris & Ems, sorry about Hal -- what a beautiful beast she was!! Wanda tips her bonnet and I send hugs to you as you rebuild/redesign her.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Bang110
5th Gear
Dude your car has helped alot in my own ideas of what my mini will look like.

Sorry to hear the bad news. So are you going to take it all apart and do it all over again? Paint and motor work? If you have any parts (body) your going to change out let me know.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:52 PM
motionmonk
2nd Gear
Tuls-
I feel fortunate that I got to say to Hal and you before you went back East...
I still grin when I think back to the look on my wife's face when you pulled out after lunch!

Whatever you decide to do with Hal, I know you will do an awesome job.
All the best buddy!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I was excited to finally meet you guys and Hal. Just wish it could have been under better circumstances. Best of luck with the rebirth.....when we were all in dan's garage, it sounded like you had plans that were headed in a very exciting direction.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:01 PM
deemotored
4th Gear
I knew you before Hal and I will know you after Hal. Can't wait to see what your creative and diabolical mind does next...

Old 07-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Tuls and Em -

Sorry to hear about the death of HAL. I've no doubt Tuls will craft something insanely interesting from the carnage!

Let us know how things progress.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Thanks all... dont really know what else to say at this point... so thanks

Old 07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Go big or go home buddy.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cheers to new beginnings!!!

Donna

Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM
BigSky
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tüls
Hal was one of my sons two favorite Minis, a very sad day.

He reminded me "it's about hard work not hardware". That's a phrase one of his coachs used after he won his first national tournament at 8 and had a trophy almost as big as him.

"The fun is building the car and the friends you make along the way, Tuls will have those memories and friends forever", he said. (pretty insightful for a 12 year old)

We will look forward to hearing reports on your next adventure and sharing in some more fun!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Yeah that is quite the soul he's got there... tell him I said thanks, and thanks to you as well.

I would also like to thank Justin, my MA, he was a friend before my MINI, as we were car nuts that were doing silly things for no reason, and will always be a good friend. Most round here know him as Isellem.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
RIP Hal You taught us all so much about what our cars are capable of. The unpossible.

Cant wait to see what you do next Chris.

Nik

Old 07-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Aw man, that sucks! So sorry, Chris... through your talent and your drive, with Hal you sure showed the MINI world (as well as much of the non-MINI automotive world) how much one can achieve when he/she dares to dream.

I look forward to see what big project you dream up next... and I feel very fortunate to have finally seen Hal at MOTD this year, while still in his full glory (even though I didn't get a ride!).

Onward and upward!

Old 07-21-2008, 05:47 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Rock on, Hal. Rock on.

Sorry I missed you guys Friday night.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:05 AM
kgdblu
6th Gear
aawwww..bummer.

So, what's next and will it be at MOTD next year? Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:15 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Long live the King! The King is dead! I can't wait to see what you have in store for Hal v.2, Chris.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:41 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
I am sad to see that the Mini of all Minis has taken its final bow, but I am excited to know that you will be rebirthing him for another life...can't wait to see the unpossible happen all over again!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 AM
hollis3
Coordinator :: Motoring Underground Club Forum
cheers to hal.

Quick Reply: Death of Hal... the fall of a giant killer.