General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offer advice on starting a club

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Teach
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offer advice on starting a club

Can anyone offer any advice on how to start a club? I live in NW Ohio and there doesn't appear to be a club in this area. If you are interested in joining a club in this area please reply to this thread and maybe we can get one started.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Bozo
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry I can't offer anything ...but I am watching this thread for whatever advice you get.

-B

Old 10-07-2007, 06:39 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I started the Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club almost 3 years ago and would be happy to offer my thoughts and experience. 630 members strong!

Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Teach
2nd Gear
That sounds great. The first question I would have is: Where do I begin??

I love your websites and your car. Twister is very cool.

Last edited by Teach; 10-07-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: add to post
Old 10-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Teach
2nd Gear
Bump

Old 10-09-2007, 07:16 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Teach - come visit us in Pittsburgh, we've got possibly the most vibrant Mini club near you. Two events coming up, our Fall Foliage Drive (and annual meeting) on Sunday October 21, and our Gyminikhana "Motorbatics" event, the following weekend (Friday and Saturday October 26-27). http://www.pittstopmini.org/2007Events/Gyminikhana.htm

A bunch of us will be at each event, as will some of the original members and past officers - they can tell some good stories about starting up - which it seems we're always doing!

Having some good Sponsors is a key, as is having a core of dedicated folks. Most clubs start with their Mini dealer as a main sponsor and branch out from there. Many established Clubs don't "need" the dealership attachment (check Corvette clubs, for example, which can be quite self-sustaining).

It's odd, this car club scene, as it really draws some interesting people together - seemingly "just" about their cars - but they develop relationships beyond that.

Check www.pittstopmini.com, or come to an event or two - you can get some good ideas AND have a great time in the process!

And hey, Ohio is only 239 miles wide - that's what, about 3.75 hours of motoring! It'd probably be shorter save for your state's draconian speed enforcement... and BeaveRun is only 20 miles inside PA from Ohio... come see us!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Teach
2nd Gear
I looked at your club's website, it is VERY nice. I may try to make it to the fall foilage drive on the 21st. I could use some specific times when things will be happening so I can try to plan my trip out. I may need to motor out there on Saturday. Thanks for all of the info.

I clicked on the registration button and found the info I needed.
Duhh.

Last edited by Teach; 10-10-2007 at 07:15 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wish I could take credit for the website, that's mini2Go's excellent work. Looking forward to seeing you at either (or both?) weekend(s)!

BTW, I like your sig pic, but doubt the Mini's tow hitch is rated for a howitzer!

(Oh - almost forgot - as far as Sponsors go, event sponsors are GREAT. Just finished a discussion with MiniDoMore, who is a sponsor of our Gyminikhana - we'll have a Mini hitch at Gyminikhana as a door prize! Mini vendors are GREAT, so a free plug for MiniDoMore!)

LD