General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

NAM F1 PickSix Challenge 2009

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:06 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAM F1 PickSix Challenge 2009

Greetings NAM F1 fans! It's very late to start something like this, but better late than never.....right? Well, here's hoping at least a few of you decide to join in.

Even if you're registered at other F1 game sites, please consider playing along at PickSix as well so you can be a part of the "NAM F1 Challenge" league there. We've had a NAM PickSix team for four years so far, but if you haven't played and you're not familiar you're not far behind because it has to be the simplest "fantasy league" ever.

Check it out here and post in this thread if you want to play along, then all you have to do is start picking. That is, it's almost that simple.....you do have to register and we have to make sure the Little Commish recognizes you as part of our exclusive little group. You should be able to simply register and then email the Commish to tell him which league you want to be in. If you register and aren't given an opportunity to select a league or send an email (he does change a few things from year to year and I'm not sure what he's changed this time), post here or pm me and I'll see what I can do. For reference, make sure you give me the name and display name you used when you registered.

Once you're on the list, the process is very simple. Go to the PickSix site, navigate to your quick picks page for the upcoming race, pick the drivers you think will finish in the top six positions for that race, and submit your picks. It's that easy! You can check out the scoring rules at PickSix - there are points for more than just matching the drivers' finishing positions so the event scores are often surprising!

Given the late hour, IF you register and don't think you've been placed in the NAM group, make your picks anyway. You may show up as being on the Melbourne team (that's usually the default) at first, but as soon as I get the Commish to recognize your preference you'll be switched over, so don't worry about it.

If you're in on the challenge, let me know (post here), and I'll add you to the list.

The NAM F1 Challenge team list:
adame
BSUCardinalfan
CutnThrust
geowit
jabell2r
kurvhugr
Letsmotor
mgcman
scabpicker
TresRay

Last edited by kurvhugr; 03-28-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:52 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent! Thanks for setting things up again - good to hear from you again.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:45 AM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
Sure, I'll play. My picks are random this time. I have no idea who will finish where.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to contact him or join a team. My name is the same as you see here. Gracias!

Old 03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scabpicker
Sure, I'll play. My picks are random this time. I have no idea who will finish where.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to contact him or join a team. My name is the same as you see here. Gracias!
Welcome!

I sent the guy an email asking to have you added to our group.....here's hoping that works. If there's a problem (never know what the guy is up to from one year to the next), we're a very small bunch so I'll track and post the NAM group scores in this thread after they're posted on the PickSix site.

By the way, I love your comment "unencumbered by the thought process" -- seems appropriate for the first race this year. Keep in mind though that PickSix allows picks and changes right up until the start of the race, so you can adjust after quali if you like.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 AM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kurvhugr
Welcome!

By the way, I love your comment "unencumbered by the thought process" -- seems appropriate for the first race this year. Keep in mind though that PickSix allows picks and changes right up until the start of the race, so you can adjust after quali if you like.

I was considering doing that, and still might. The number of tech changes is holding me back, though. I am not certain who will still be running, much less in the points for this race.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:04 AM
jabell2r
Coordinator :: M2C2
Ok I'm in. At least it looks to start out on an interesting note. Guess we'll find out in 17 hours.

Good Luck everyone.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:34 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jabell2r
Ok I'm in. At least it looks to start out on an interesting note. Guess we'll find out in 17 hours.

Good Luck everyone.
Great, I'll send a note to the Commish about having you added to our list.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:45 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
FYI - The Toyotas have been sent to the back of the grid. They were found to be "in contravention of the rules." Here's some info:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9084.html

Old 03-28-2009, 10:51 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
And now I see Hamilton is starting behind the Toyotas due to a gearbox change penalty.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9082.html

Old 03-28-2009, 06:37 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Somehow I didn't end up in the NAM group. I sent an email to the support email. Hopefully they'll fix it!

Old 03-28-2009, 07:43 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan
Somehow I didn't end up in the NAM group. I sent an email to the support email. Hopefully they'll fix it!
I've sent the Commish a couple emails already and haven't heard back from him yet. Hang in there though, he's usually pretty slow to respond to questions and requests. What's really curious to me is he hasn't even updated the event schedule yet for the new season.....wonder what's up.....guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Good news. I just heard back from the Little Commish and he's starting on the NAM additions.

I see he's catching up with other things like the schedule as well.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:59 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Wow! That's all I'll say for now other than.....

I'm not going to list the race winner or who placed where, but I am going to list the PickSix points, so if you recorded the race and don't want any hints yet DO NOT READ ON!

SPOILER WARNING!

SPOILER WARNING!

Ok, you've been warned. Here are our results -- if you haven't yet seen the race and you're reading on anyway, prepare to be shocked!

adame - 6
BSUCardinalfan - 12
CutnThrust - 14
geowit - 12
jabell2r - 18
kurvhugr - 12
Letsmotor - 20
mgcman - 10
scabpicker - 6
TresRay - 20

Remember, the First Time Winner and Dark Horse bonus point categories don't become active until after the first three races.

If you figure you did poorly, look again.....there's only a 14 point spread between our highest and lowest scores.....and there won't be a lot of the Melbourne folks who did much better.

If I've gotten anything wrong or if some sort of post-race ruling changes the official finishing order, I'll update the list.

cheers - steve

Old 03-29-2009, 09:12 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
We have updates due to a post-race demotion of one of the front-runners!

Once again, I'm not going to list the race winner or who placed where -- I won't even mention who got dinged -- but I am going to list the adjusted PickSix points, so if you recorded the race and don't want any hints yet DO NOT READ ON!

SPOILER WARNING!

SPOILER WARNING!

Ok, you've been warned. Here are our ammended results -- most of us gained.

adame - 13
BSUCardinalfan - 22
CutnThrust - 20
geowit - 22
jabell2r - 14
kurvhugr - 16
Letsmotor - 30
mgcman - 20
scabpicker - 10
TresRay - 24

scabpicker, I also miscalculated your results earlier -- I missed 3 points the first time around and you gained 1 due to the effects of the demotion.

I hope I got everything right this time, but I'll continue to update based on any ruling-based changes, etc.

cheers - steve

Old 03-29-2009, 11:23 AM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
P3!!!

Sweet.

What a great start to the season. Going to be a fun one.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Results are up at PickSix.

Hats off to Letsmotor who is tied with three others at P1 overall!

Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Looks like the latest FIA interference will have little impact on our PickSix totals. Trulli back up to third (where I think he should have been left anyway) seems to have changed nothing for any of us. Deleting Hamilton (supposedly for intentionally providing misleading information during the investigation) affects only jabell2r.....and unfortunately takes away a few points rather than adding.....sorry 'bout that.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Here's a reminder for the few who still haven't picked. It's only been a week, but there's another race in just a few hours! Get those pics in!

Old 04-05-2009, 04:18 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Wow! A great race until ... oops, almost gave it away prematurely ...

Once again, I won't list the race winner or who placed where, just the PickSix points, so if you recorded the race and don't want any hints yet DO NOT READ ON!

SPOILER WARNING!

SPOILER WARNING!

Ok, with that warning in hand, here are our results -- that is, IF I have everything right and IF they don't change anything post-race this time.

adame - no picks this week
BSUCardinalfan - 30
CutnThrust - 20
geowit - 34
jabell2r - 22
kurvhugr - 22
Letsmotor - 30
mgcman - 25
scabpicker - 15
TresRay - 24

We're only two races in, so the Dark Horse bonus isn't active yet.

If I've gotten anything wrong or if some sort of post-race ruling changes the official finishing order, I'll update the list.

cheers - steve

Old 04-07-2009, 12:36 PM
adame
aw crap! Sorry all. I made my picks at GP Tours and not PickSix - booo...

Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 AM
jabell2r
Coordinator :: M2C2
Anyone else having problems logging onto picksix. I can get in but get an error when I try the events section. First year for me is that section not available till practice starts.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 AM
adame
Problems here. I can't log in.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:41 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Still no way to log on to the events page. Looks like we ain't gonna be able to pick our boys for the Chinese GP. Pity with Vettel on pole and all.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Sorry I'm late to the party, but I haven't been on NAM for a few days and haven't been getting the emails updates so I didn't see Jabell2r's post.

I see there's still a problem with the site. What worries me is it looks like it's been a few days now.....hope there aren't any permanent issues. If anyone is still waiting to pick and can't log in, send an email to support@picksix.com - mention the problem and give him your picks. This way there'll be a record of your picks made prior to the race.

If you decide at the last minute that you'd like to make a change, try the site again and then, if it's still not working, send a follow-up email.

Sites shut down sometimes.....here's hoping this is just a glitch.
--------------------
ps: make sure you include your PickSix site username in your email to make it easier for him to connect the dots.

Last edited by kurvhugr; 04-18-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:30 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
It's way too late for many I'm sure, but I was able to log in just a few minutes ago. I had to try a few times, but got in on the third try, I think, and got my picks in.

At this point there are only a total of 12 sets of picks, so I don't expect things to go well.....we'll see.

Quick Reply: NAM F1 PickSix Challenge 2009