Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

EBC Pads for JCW Brembo Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 08:03 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
EBC Pads for JCW Brembo Brakes

Thought I'd post this here so people could discuss.
Way Motor Works has the latest in affordable pads for the 2009+ John Cooper Works MINI with Brembo brakes. These new EBC pads not only blow away the price of the stock pads, but the performance is better, with less dust. We are stocking the EBC redstuff for street use.

and the EBC Yellowstuff for more hardcore drivers and track use

As you can see in the pics these pads even come with the factory style weights on them, unlike other aftermarket pads. This ensures the best fit and quiet use.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 PM
ArchetypeJCW
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brakes have always been really noisy (typical brake squeal on initial bite). I have had many aftermarket brakes including a really nice hi-end aftermarket brembo set-up and none were anywhere near as noisy.

I figure it's the pads. I've never used EBC. Are they quiet on initial bite?

Also, are they quiet in general for street? I know everyone has different tolerance levels. As a comparison I don't like the noise metal masters make.

Thanks,

Jack

Old 01-16-2012, 08:30 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
We have had great luck with the EBC pads, and actually use them on ALL MINI's that come in needing brakes.
They can be a little noisey and brake dust until they are bedded in but after that they are great.
The reds have great initial bite, we tend to use them over the greens because of this. We don't have customers complain of noises either.
I highly recommend the Redstuff for the JCW. The yellowstuff should be good, but we need to get more feedback on them. To know how good they are for street and track.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
ArchetypeJCW
2nd Gear
Sounds good. I'll have check them out. I definitely want to do the brakes soon. Thanks for the quick response. If I go EBC I'll give you a call.

Thanks,

Jack

Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Do these have the wear sensors in them?

Old 01-17-2012, 01:41 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stock pads started getting really noisy on initial bite and were pretty awful in reverse. But they have calmed down lately. Brake dust was really bad the first 3000km but much improved now.

Anyways, glad to see EBC red specific for JCW now... Will keep them in mind when I am due for a pad change - I am only at 5000km mileage so far.

Edit: WMW pages must have just been updated because they indicate the following:
These pads also have slot for brake pad sensor to fit in.

Last edited by walk0080; 01-17-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 PM
MINIMM
4th Gear
I ran the yellows on the street when I had my 06 S.

Great pads and dust wasn't that bad at all.

In time will get some yellows for my 2011 JCW.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:01 PM
phxcobra
Neutral
I don't see rears for the EBC yellows? Do you have them? If you run EBC yellows in front, what would you suggest running in back. I'm in need of pads for a 2009 JCW. I just started tracking it, but I need pads that my wife can live with (noise wise) since it's her daily driver. Any suggestions? EBC or Carbotech?

Thx,
Pete

Old 01-25-2012, 06:58 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phxcobra
I don't see rears for the EBC yellows? Do you have them? If you run EBC yellows in front, what would you suggest running in back. I'm in need of pads for a 2009 JCW. I just started tracking it, but I need pads that my wife can live with (noise wise) since it's her daily driver. Any suggestions? EBC or Carbotech?

Thx,
Pete
I would imagine that since most of the braking is at the front, you would have EBC Yellow on the front, Red on the back.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:35 AM
MINIMM
4th Gear
I ran yellows front and back on my 06 S with no problems.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIMM
I ran yellows front and back on my 06 S with no problems.
06 S brakes are not the same as the current gen JCW. I think the question is are EBC Yellow pads available for the rear Brembo brakes on the R56 JCW? WMW do not list any yellow pads on their site for the rear Brembos.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:52 PM
MINIMM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by walk0080
06 S brakes are not the same as the current gen JCW.

I'm aware of that.

I've been around MINI's since 2006.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:10 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
I'm aware of that.

I've been around MINI's since 2006.
It wasn't meant to be condescending and perhaps you weren't posting in the context I read your message. But you posted about 06 pads working great in an R56 forum after someone asked about the rear pads for an R56...

So my question still is (and I hope WMW will respond) - are EBC Yellow pads available for the R56 JCW Brembos OR do you order the R56 Cooper S rear Yellow pads (which I think might be the same?)?

Last edited by walk0080; 01-25-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
MINIMM
4th Gear
It wasn't meant to be condescending and perhaps you weren't posting in the context I read your message. But you posted about 06 pads working great in an R56 forum after someone asked about the rear pads for an R56...

So my question still is (and I hope WMW will respond) - are EBC Yellow pads available for the R56 JCW Brembos OR do you order the R56 Cooper S rear Yellow pads (which I think might be the same?)?
Fine, I just took it the wrong way as it sounded condescending.

All I'm saying is that the Yellow pads worked well for me front and rear on my 2006.

They are an improvement over the stock pads in braking and brake dust.

It really doesn't matter if it was a 2006 as far as the overall experience of the pads.

However they will not brake as well as race pads. If you're going to the track, get race pads. Dual purpose pads usually don't work well on the track unless you are a beginner and not going that fast.

The race pads I put on when I went to the track worked much better, but there is no way I would have run them on the street.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:07 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Fine, I just took it the wrong way as it sounded condescending.
Ahh the Internet! So easy to take things out of context. Imagine talking face to face like we type furiously on the Internet - we would have very few teeth, I imagine.

Anyways, I do apologize for the offense, but I do wonder how much of this is true and how much is marketing gobbledegook:
EBC Yellowstuff is an aramid fibre based brake compound with high brake effect form cold and is possibly one of the first ever compounds that can be used for STREET AND TRACK DRIVING. These pads do not require warm up but do get even stronger under the heat of hard driving.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:09 PM
MINIMM
4th Gear
I know they really didn't require any warm up.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
phxcobra
Neutral

yes, that's one of my questions, are the EBC yellows available for the rear? I don't see them on WMW. I know full race pads are best for track, but i just started tracknig this guy and I'm not pushing it that hard yet. And swapping pads is a pain for me right now time wise. So that's why I'd like something more aggressive than the stock JCW but still streetable for now. When I start pushing the car harder, I'll think about some dedicated race pads.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
I had a look at RealOEM and also my Bentley manual and the Cooper S and JCW share the SAME rear brake pads. The difference is that the JCW has LARGER disks. However I don't see any EBC Yellows listed for the Cooper S either.

One weird thing I saw in the Bentley manual was this - page 340-2 (Brakes):
Starting in 2011, turbocharged models (Cooper S) are equipped with Brembo 4-piston calipers in the front.
Did MINI switch to 4-pot calipers on the S? They look smaller to me.

Last edited by walk0080; 01-28-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,135 Likes on 890 Posts
I had a look at RealOEM and also my Bentley manual and the Cooper S and JCW share the SAME rear brake pads. The difference is that the JCW has LARGER disks. However I don't see any EBC Yellows listed for the Cooper S either.

One weird thing I saw in the Bentley manual was this - page 340-2 (Brakes):

Did MINI switch to 4-pot calipers on the S? They look smaller to me.
I wish...but no.

My 2012 (same as 2011) S has the same brakes as my '07S had.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Yes we have yellows for the rear. select the drop down menu on our site and you can select the rears
http://www.waymotorworks.com/jcw-bre...tuff-pads.html

Old 03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I just ordered a set of Reds for my R55. The only tracking I do is an occasional trip to the Ring but I desperately need less dusting. I won't even put my summer wheels on until I get the brakes swapped out. The OEM pad dust is SOOOOO corrosive.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
minimini482
4th Gear
has anyone used the ebc yellows on a 2nd gen JCW? any feedback about them? are they useable on the street or would these be strictly track/autox use only?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:50 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
I just swapped out mine for the Reds and they're pretty awesome.

Has anyone else had an issue with the rear fitment? I was BARELY able to get the left rear set on and the first time (I forgot the anti-squeal the first time so I had to redo them), because of the VERY low clearance and the clips being bent a tad, the piston actually pushed the slip off the pad a bit, bent it, and caused the brakes to drag a bit. When I took them apart there was some yellowing of the red paint(?) on the edge of the pad material nearest the hub. The pass. side fit better but BOTH side smell a bit like burning brakes. The driver's side was a bit worse smelling before I redid the rears. They both still smell but less than before and my mileage is down 2-3MPG in the last two days.

I have the correct caliper piston retraction tool and have done brakes many, many times.

No issues with the fronts at all.

Something I should worry about or just let the brakes wear until the clearance is good?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:14 PM
minimini482
4th Gear
Originally Posted by quality_sound

I have the correct caliper piston retraction tool and have done brakes many, many times.
What tool do I need to compress the pistons on the newer brembo style calipers? Do they press in or twist into the caliper?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:45 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
In the rear it's the same caliper as the S, so it's twist and turn. In the front it's standard Brembo so what I do is tap the retaining pins out, pull the pads maybe halfway out and then use the pad as a lever arm to press the pistons back in. Easy peasy.

Finally had a change to get the car on The Ring this past weekend and IMO, if you want to spend time on a track, just get the Yellows. I experienced noticeable fade during each lap and the initial bite and overall stopping power isn't as good as the OEM JCW pads. When the car makes it to TX in 5 weeks or so I might even swap the Reds back out for the OEMs until they're done and then try the Yellows.

Brake dust wasn't a ton better (though it was better) but it was easier to clean then the OEM dust. I did have occasional noise from the rears but nothing like the OEM pads.

Quick Reply: EBC Pads for JCW Brembo Brakes