Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

11 JCW "squeeking" Brakes: Looking for solutions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:24 PM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
11 JCW "squeeking" Brakes: Looking for solutions

I am noticing some break noises--squeeking when applying the brakes. I am amazed I can hear it --even with my resonator deleted. I do downshift all the time and never really apply the brakes, other than gently. Have I built up a glaze that is causing this? Solutions welcome. Thanks. Nick

Old 07-23-2011, 07:28 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like you may have built up a glaze or the brakes really aren't getting up to proper temperature. I'd try bedding in the pads. A few repeated runs from 50 or 60mph down to 10mph without stopping, then drive around for a bit to let the brakes cool.

Also, why wouldn't you be really using the brakes? Engine braking is really a thing of the past, and brakes cost a lot less than a new transmission. I admit that I will rev match and downshift to make sure I'm in the correct lower gear when approaching a stop or turn, but not use that instead of the brakes.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 AM
jcw666
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is normal in the jcw .. i have 11 jcw same time i took it from the dealer it made that noise in front of the sales man .. i asked the guys here n the replied that its normal in the jcw due to the brembo breakes .. my cousin has 11 jcw n he has the same noise .. i know how do u feel coze i faced the same thing .. just live with it n ignore it

Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 AM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
Sounds like you may have built up a glaze or the brakes really aren't getting up to proper temperature. I'd try bedding in the pads. A few repeated runs from 50 or 60mph down to 10mph without stopping, then drive around for a bit to let the brakes cool.

Also, why wouldn't you be really using the brakes? Engine braking is really a thing of the past, and brakes cost a lot less than a new transmission. I admit that I will rev match and downshift to make sure I'm in the correct lower gear when approaching a stop or turn, but not use that instead of the brakes.
I guess old habits die hard. Please know that I use the brakes--ok? I have been driving manual transmissions since 1959. Many of my cars didn't have great brakes so downshifting--and matching revs seemed to work. I have not had a transmission issue in the 52 yrs of driving them. To list a few: Several VW old beatles. a MGA, MG Midget, VW GTI, 911 Porshe, 5.0 Mustang, Z28 Camarro, C5 Vette, my '05 MCS, my recently sold BMW135i and my current JCW. I hope you noticed the post advising that the problem appears to be in a lot of JCW's. Nick

Old 07-24-2011, 11:51 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What abou taking the brake pads off and applying some stop squeal on them. Its like a past that goes on the back of the pads. I used some on my motorcycle when it was squealing. The brakes and rotors were new and bedded in, they just had a noise but the paste worked and now its been 2yrs and no noise.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleNick
I guess old habits die hard. Please know that I use the brakes--ok? I have been driving manual transmissions since 1959. Many of my cars didn't have great brakes so downshifting--and matching revs seemed to work. I have not had a transmission issue in the 52 yrs of driving them. To list a few: Several VW old beatles. a MGA, MG Midget, VW GTI, 911 Porshe, 5.0 Mustang, Z28 Camarro, C5 Vette, my '05 MCS, my recently sold BMW135i and my current JCW. I hope you noticed the post advising that the problem appears to be in a lot of JCW's. Nick

Hey Nick. Didn't mean to be/come off as accusatory at all...just mearly a suggestion. Glad to hear that you've had no transmission issues with so many vehicles.

As for the original post, I'm familiar with the JCW brakes and have had signiciantly larger Brembos on previous cars. I agree with the last post, that you may want to apply more of the pad grease between the shim and the pad. Might help with the noise.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
brake noise

Any updates on brake noise. For those who experienced brake noise, did applying grease between the shim and the pad help?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It's pretty typical for Brembo's. I don't really mind it anymore besides people telling me my brakes are going bad.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:46 PM
rjb
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
It's pretty typical for Brembo's. I don't really mind it anymore besides people telling me my brakes are going bad.
I have an '09 and, yes the squeaking is pretty typical, especially at low speed light braking, but around 37K miles mine got to be embarrassing (Still had plenty of pad left), the squeaking turned more into a groaning under light braking and sometimes had a "rotational" noise after hitting the brakes and coasting to a stop. Took it into the dealer about 2 weeks ago and they replaced the pads (and sensor) free of charge, they said there was a technical bulletin on it, but have no further details then that the noise is now pretty much gone, just bake to some occasional light squeaking under low speed braking.