Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Better JCW Brembo pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better JCW Brembo pads?

Does anyone make a pad other than OEM for the Brembos? Also stainless lines?

Old 09-20-2010, 06:54 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Carbotech XP10 brake pads. They are a tad aggressive, but they do make less aggressive pads for the JCW.

I have Goodrich Stainless Steel Brake lines, they work fine.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Originally Posted by etalj
I have Carbotech XP10 brake pads. They are a tad aggressive, but they do make less aggressive pads for the JCW.

I have Goodrich Stainless Steel Brake lines, they work fine.
Are the lines the same as the standard R56 calipers?

Old 09-20-2010, 01:59 PM
minimini482
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Carbotech pads the best choice out there? What other companies make pads for the JCW Brembos?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi,

The brembo calipers used on the JCW are also used on many other cars from various manufacturers. As a result there are many different pads available. It is just a question of tracking them down. For example, I have good reason to believe that the calipers / pad is the same as that on the nissan 350Z track, which has many pads available (although I have not tested this personally).

Brembo is a well know company. Speak to any decent race brake shop, give them pics and tracings of your calipers and pads and they will be able to track down dozens of options.

Having said that, I've been impressed with the carbotech pads.

Cheers

Robbo

Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Carbotech pads are really good pads but you'll hardly want to use the XP series on the street.

I run XP's at the track but because you have to prep the rotors everytime you put a set of ceramic pads on, I use Carbotech's street pads and that way when I do go to the track, I don't have to prep the rotors, I can just swap out.

Having said that. The pads that come with the Brembo brakes from the factory are phenomonal. If I wasn't tracking the car, I'd use factory pads all day long.

Pads are a give and take. They usually are either soft and quiet but leave a lot of dust or they're hard, last a longer amount of time but squeel. OEM pads are the perfect happy medium to that and work perfectly.

My .02 worth.

Mark

Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Carbotech pads are really good pads but you'll hardly want to use the XP series on the street.
Why not use XP pads on the street ??? Seriously I'm interested in your reasons? Noise??? Compared to oem pad they stop better (hot or cold), and have better modulation. They are noisy, ie sound of metal on metal when you get them up to track temps, and squealing if you nanny them on the street.

I have been running around on XP10's for the last couple of months whilst my car was getting various other bits and pieces done, and I actually like them. Admittedly I only drive this car once or twice a week.

I'm upgrading to the carbotech RP2's which I think will be better for track / rally use.

Cheers

Robbo

Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
A couple of reasons actually.

XP pads are made for the track. They are made to withstand high temperatures. (that's why stock pads don't last at the track)

In order to work correctly, they need to be at a certain temperature. You'll never get them to that temperature on the street.

Will they work on the street? Obviously but anyone that has a JCW with the Brembo brake setup that has had to stomp on the brakes will tell you that the JCW pads will literally throw you through the windshield.... they're almost too touchy.

Second, XP pads will tend to squeel on the street. Again, they never get hot enough to get rid of the glazing that accumulates.

Like I said, it's not that you can't run them on the streets, in a perfect world, I'd much rather use the stock JCW pads.

Mark

Originally Posted by robbo mcs
Why not use XP pads on the street ??? Seriously I'm interested in your reasons? Noise??? Compared to oem pad they stop better (hot or cold), and have better modulation. They are noisy, ie sound of metal on metal when you get them up to track temps, and squealing if you nanny them on the street.

I have been running around on XP10's for the last couple of months whilst my car was getting various other bits and pieces done, and I actually like them. Admittedly I only drive this car once or twice a week.

I'm upgrading to the carbotech RP2's which I think will be better for track / rally use.

Cheers

Robbo

Old 09-23-2010, 05:52 AM
phlash
4th Gear
Cobalt now makes pads for us too.....no special bedding in, no glazing.....I was their test dummy for the fit. Multiple compounds. It's my track pad of choice.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by phlash
Cobalt now makes pads for us too.....no special bedding in, no glazing.....I was their test dummy for the fit. Multiple compounds. It's my track pad of choice.

Well, at least you got part of that sentence right...

Mark

Old 09-25-2010, 12:42 PM
phlash
4th Gear
Yeah..story of my life.....I must have it written somewhere on my forehead.....

They are pricey (the cobalts)...but I love em.....used to run them on my RX8 when it was my main track weapon......

Old 10-13-2010, 05:27 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Professor
Are the lines the same as the standard R56 calipers?
Sorry, I never saw this post when you made it.

Yes the lines are the same, but the little clips that I believe are there to stop rattling don't allow the goodridge fittings (the ends) to pass through, as they are the wrong shape (square vs hexagon). Stupid, I know. I just took the clips out. No rattles that I can hear.

The XP10 are definitely not a "street" pad in the traditional sense. They squeal, and have a metal on metal sound when slowing down to 0kph. However, they are less touchy than the stock pads, and therefore have MUCH better modulation.
They have absolutely devastating stopping power when driving hard, and are up to temp.

You can definitely get them up to temp on the street, but not legally. This is a problem for some, but not others. If you regularly break the law, obviously it's not a problem (I don't condone speeding, mind you)

Just ordered Carbotech XP8 pads to fit to my rear JCW brakes. I'm sure this will round-off my braking system nicely (until, of course, someone comes out with a two-piece rotor).

Dustin was, and has always been, a pleasure to deal with. He ships high quality pads to australia for half the price of what they cost from the dealer! The speed of his correspondence is also second to none

AutoXCooper FTW

Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
I have the NM stainless brake lines on for about a year now.
http://www.nm-eng.com/868856.html

I had my mechanic put Carbotech Bobcat brake pads on a few weeks ago. They are very good and the best part is just about zero dust.

Here is a pic with the Challenge wheels on my JCW after the car was detailed and then I drove over 200 miles. Today, I have over 300 miles since it was detailed and the wheels are just as clean as in this pic. For that alone... they are worth it.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Revolution Mini Works
Banned
Originally Posted by phlash
Yeah..story of my life.....I must have it written somewhere on my forehead.....

They are pricey (the cobalts)...but I love em.....used to run them on my RX8 when it was my main track weapon......
yep.... I had them make me a special set..........for TA
unbelieveable pads..........be prepared to bust out the plastic on these bad boys as they cost a small fortune............ but amazing to say the least

Old 10-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Tubby
1st Gear
I have just removed the carbotech bobcat pads from my JCW. I found my JCW after an initial sense of slowing felt like the pads would stop biting and the car would not slow as hard any more (felt almost like the pads were allowing the rotor to slide through). Not sure if the pads were faulty but we tested before and after from a speed of 100 to 0 and fount the bobcats were each time taking a much greater distance to stop than the stock brembo pads.

We were very surprised as I have loved the carbotechs on all my previous cars. Have been a very long time user of them.

Also had faulty rear carbotech pads where the bolts that run through the backing plate to the friction material must have been left too long as they were sticking through the friction material with still well over half a pad left. That destroyed my rear rotors! Again not sure what happened and not having a shot at the brand as I have said used them for a long time and converted many friends over to them.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:59 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
If what you say is true, (not doubting you... I mean that as in if the "rotors are sliding through") I would check my brake setup.

I've been running the bobcats on the street and as a matter of fact, I JUST received another set in the mail yesterday.

When you installed them, did you turn the rotors? The rotors need to be at least prepped when going from asbestos pads to ceramic pads.

HTH's,

Mark

Originally Posted by Tubby
I have just removed the carbotech bobcat pads from my JCW. I found my JCW after an initial sense of slowing felt like the pads would stop biting and the car would not slow as hard any more (felt almost like the pads were allowing the rotor to slide through). Not sure if the pads were faulty but we tested before and after from a speed of 100 to 0 and fount the bobcats were each time taking a much greater distance to stop than the stock brembo pads.

We were very surprised as I have loved the carbotechs on all my previous cars. Have been a very long time user of them.

Also had faulty rear carbotech pads where the bolts that run through the backing plate to the friction material must have been left too long as they were sticking through the friction material with still well over half a pad left. That destroyed my rear rotors! Again not sure what happened and not having a shot at the brand as I have said used them for a long time and converted many friends over to them.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Tubby
1st Gear
I do understand what I said sounds strange as the Carbotech pads have been like religion to me for years and years.

We actually put on new front rotors with the pad change to the bobcats. One interesting point is this set of bobcats actually wore through the new BMW rotor to below minimum thickness by about 3/4 pad use with just day to day traffic driving!

By rights I should send the remains of the pad back to carbotech for them to look at as to me there must be something wrong. The brake setup seems fine as back to stock pads and the car stops as hard as I remember and there appears to be no real wear on the new rotors!

It was a close call when ordering new pads to order another set of bobcats believing the others for a one off but just ended up going the careful root this time. I just thought that maybe the bobcats did not work as well on the JCW as on my previous cars and knew nobody else running them to compare.

If what you say is true, (not doubting you... I mean that as in if the "rotors are sliding through") I would check my brake setup.

I've been running the bobcats on the street and as a matter of fact, I JUST received another set in the mail yesterday.

When you installed them, did you turn the rotors? The rotors need to be at least prepped when going from asbestos pads to ceramic pads.

HTH's,

Mark

Old 10-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
... anyone that has a JCW with the Brembo brake setup that has had to stomp on the brakes will tell you that the JCW pads will literally throw you through the windshield....
A friend or mine was mentioning that just yesterday. He went for a test drive in a JCW and touched the brakes just a bit too hard and was almost in line for some new dental work

Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 AM
akng
3rd Gear
I just put these on my car this past weekend:
http://www.endlessusa.com/#!__brake-pads/mx72

Although they don't show a part number for the JCW on this website, but if you go to their Japanese website, you will find that the part numbers are as follows for JCW:

Front: EIP168
Rear: EIP141

Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 PM
akng
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by etalj
Sorry, I never saw this post when you made it.

Yes the lines are the same, but the little clips that I believe are there to stop rattling don't allow the goodridge fittings (the ends) to pass through, as they are the wrong shape (square vs hexagon). Stupid, I know. I just took the clips out. No rattles that I can hear.

The XP10 are definitely not a "street" pad in the traditional sense. They squeal, and have a metal on metal sound when slowing down to 0kph. However, they are less touchy than the stock pads, and therefore have MUCH better modulation.
They have absolutely devastating stopping power when driving hard, and are up to temp.

You can definitely get them up to temp on the street, but not legally. This is a problem for some, but not others. If you regularly break the law, obviously it's not a problem (I don't condone speeding, mind you)

Just ordered Carbotech XP8 pads to fit to my rear JCW brakes. I'm sure this will round-off my braking system nicely (until, of course, someone comes out with a two-piece rotor).

Dustin was, and has always been, a pleasure to deal with. He ships high quality pads to australia for half the price of what they cost from the dealer! The speed of his correspondence is also second to none

AutoXCooper FTW
I just installed the a set of Goodridge stainless steels brake lines on my car this past weekend, but my mechanic told me there were no fitment issues and the clip you mentioned fit perfectly. So maybe Goodridge revised the kit to improve the fitment issue it had a couple years ago? Perhaps someone can add to that!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:30 AM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by akng
I just installed the a set of Goodridge stainless steels brake lines on my car this past weekend, but my mechanic told me there were no fitment issues and the clip you mentioned fit perfectly. So maybe Goodridge revised the kit to improve the fitment issue it had a couple years ago? Perhaps someone can add to that!
lucky you! I'm sure it's just for rattling purposes, but hey, i still didn't like having to take them off

Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Neheb
Neutral
Endless MX72

I just put these on my car this past weekend:
http://www.endlessusa.com/#!__brake-pads/mx72

Although they don't show a part number for the JCW on this website, but if you go to their Japanese website, you will find that the part numbers are as follows for JCW:

Front: EIP168
Rear: EIP141
Do you have the Endless MX72 for the HA and VA? What are your experiences? Noise? Durability? Brake dust?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
akng
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Neheb
Do you have the Endless MX72 for the HA and VA? What are your experiences? Noise? Durability? Brake dust?
Sorry, but what does HA and VA stand for?

In terms of experience, I would say it meets my expectation as with any other Endless brake pads I have used in terms of performance such as controlability. The pedal feel is very linear just like their other carbon ceramics pads such as CCA, CCR and CCRg that I have used, but these pads have no noise at all. Well, out of maybe the last 100 times I have driven the car, there was one time where it was making some noise for the first minute I started the car, but it disappeared after. For Durability, I have driven about 10,000km on them with mixed street and 1 track day and they still look pretty brand new to me. These pads also have slightly less brake dust compared to the other carbon ceremic pads I mentioned above. But to me, brake dust is not a concern as my understanding is that good braking power equals brake dust because these are results of friction. One thing though, the initial bite of these pads are not as strong as the stock JCW pads, which I think is good. For tracking purpose, you don't want 95% of the braking force right at the initial touch of the pedal, but rather controlability given to the driver to decide how much to brake. Overall, I really like these pads. Definitely the best Endless pads I have had to date.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Neheb
Neutral
Sorry, but what does HA and VA stand for?
Sorry, Front and Rear (VA and HA is german)

Have you ever mounted pads from other manufacturers?
Have you installed other discs?

Thank you for the answers!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 PM
akng
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Neheb
Sorry, Front and Rear (VA and HA is german)

Have you ever mounted pads from other manufacturers?
Have you installed other discs?

Thank you for the answers!
Yes I have these pads both in front and rear and I have the JCW slotted and drilled rotors with them.

I have never used non Endless pads but I have used Powerslot rotors which are also great. I also have many track friends and I have either heard their feedbacks about other set ups or I have tested their cars. Again, the general rule of thumb applies where you get what you paid for. Are the extra features worth the extra cost? You must decide for yourself.

Quick Reply: Better JCW Brembo pads?