Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

JCW vs. Z4 Coupe

Old 03-20-2010, 09:38 PM
KNuss
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW vs. Z4 Coupe

Hey guys.

I'm looking to purchase a daily driver that will be my only car.
Historically I've been a BMW guy, but the fun factor and size of the MINI has convinced me for the last several months that a factory JCW is the right car for me. I've gotten close to purchasing several, but for one reason or another I change my mind.
Recently I've been reconsidering the Z4 coupe.
Here are some of the categories I've compared against:

Price
A CPO Z4 coupe (2007) is actually in a similar price range to a CPO JCW.
The Z4 cost $50k new while a well optioned JCW cost about $35k new.
The Z4 is nearing the bottom of its depreciation curve, but the JCW probably doesn't have far to fall either.

Engine
The Z4 makes 255 hp versus the 208 hp of the JCW.
As much as I love the JCW engine, it's hard to beat a BMW inline 6.

Fun Factor
The engagement of the drive is similar in both cars, but the JCW is probably more raw and therefore fun.

Practicality
The JCW clearly has a big lead in this category. That being said, the Z4 trunk in the coupe does seem to be large enough to accommodate most uses that a daily driver would need.

Reliability
The Z4 in theory is a slightly more reliable car, simply because there's less to go wrong. That being said, both are under warranty so its a somewhat moot point.

I realize this is a MINI forum, so the odds are stacked in the favor of the JCW. What i'm looking for is people who have experiences with both cars to give me their $.02 .
I'm not trying to create any drama with this thread, they're both GREAT cars and I'm just trying to choose the right one for me. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kevin

Old 03-21-2010, 11:45 AM
GreyLens
2nd Gear
Over the last 8 years I've owned a Z-3, M Roadster, M Coop, 540, 740. They were all great cars. But, I'm hooked on the JCW. It is simply the most fun car I've owned. It is essentially a full-up sports car with a big *** trunk. I now autox 2+ times a month, do 4-6 track days a year in my daily driver JCW. Awesome fun!!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 PM
urameatball
2nd Gear
Back before I got my MCS, a Z4 was #1 on my list at one point.
The practical side of me eventually took over. a 2-seater sports car as a primary car just doesn't make much sense. No long road trips, no weekend getaways, seats don't recline, nearly impossible to have sex in it.

The mini might not have RWD and might have less power, but it's still really fun to drive, and doubles as a great all-around car.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 PM
KNuss
1st Gear
Originally Posted by urameatball
Back before I got my MCS, a Z4 was #1 on my list at one point.
The practical side of me eventually took over. a 2-seater sports car as a primary car just doesn't make much sense. No long road trips, no weekend getaways, seats don't recline, nearly impossible to have sex in it.
That sounds like a challenge!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
I'd get the JCW. If it were an M Coupe, that would be another story!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get an '06-07 M Coupe for under 30k

Old 03-22-2010, 06:17 AM
KNuss
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
You can get an '06-07 M Coupe for under 30k
I wish I could... but I'm not too interested in paying the extra maintenance plus it almost has too much power for my taste. The Z4 3.0si is perfect for me!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask yourself this

Which car gives you the biggest smile? Then base your purchase on that.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Murph
2nd Gear
My wife had an '06 Z4 3.0 as her daily driver. We bought it new in '06 and put 90K+ miles on it. It was a fantastic car, handled great, was fast (enough), comfortable etc. In Nov of 09 she traded it in on a JCW convertible, which now has about 4500 miles on it. Her Z4 was the third BMW we've had and she basically just got tired of the "sameness" of the BMW driving (and ownership) experience. After they go out of warranty the repair and maintenance costs are very high and the cost of tires for her Z4 was about $ 1650 last time I replaced all 4 (w/Michelin Pilot Sports--the run flats that came on it sucked!) It seemed we couldn't put it in for scheduled maintenance for less than a thousand bucks. Anyway, she loves her JCW..the back seat is a big plus for carrying stuff, it has plenty of power, handles like a skate...gets better mileage, insurance is cheaper, ...I like hers so much, I ordered a JCW Clubman and am expecting delivery in mid-April! :-)

For us anyway, moving (down?) to the JCW was the right move. But I'd say drive both and go with what gives you the biggest sense of "rightness" . Good luck --choices are nice to have!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:35 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had my JCW for around 15 months now, and just picked up a 2007 MZ4 Coupe in February. (You might find a decent one for under $30K, I'd say the $33K I paid for my 18K mile example is more typical) Both cars are lots of fun, and I can and do use both for plebian daily driver use. Without a doubt the MINI is more practical for more things but I was amazed how much stuff I crammed into the Coupe's trunk on a recent roadtrip. At a recent bike race though where I had even more stuff to carry, I told my friends I had to drive my "big" car, i.e. the MINI. Gas mileage is certainly worse in the Bimmer if that's a consideration. If you're thinking any autosports, I predict the JCW to be more fun on an autocross course, I'd rather have the speed and RWD of the M for the track. Last but not least the difference in age of the cars. CPO or not, the Z is at least a year older if not more and its warranty will expire sooner and BMW service can definitely be expensive. I think both cars are great and you really can't go wrong.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Mini Me GB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I traded in my GP for a Z4M Coupe - worst mistake I made, although it was good on straights it wasn't a patch on the MINI in the corners.. After a month I traded it in for a factory R56 JCW and never looked back

Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Zephyrgtw
2nd Gear
My two bits:

I've only test-driven Z3/Z4's; but have owned both 330cic & 550i Sport. I just sold the 550i Sport and bought a 2010 JCW clubman. It is definitely the most fun car I have ever driven (and that included several Ferraris and a Lamborgini - not owned - just drove for 30min each... maybe it's the cost thing on those beasts that is intimidating, but you can thow these JCW's around like nobody's business; they are extremely tenatious, light, and responsive.

If it were me - I'd go JCW all the way!

Old 03-22-2010, 04:44 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I haven't had either car, but from what the OP seems to lean toward the JCW might be better. Plus for the same money the JCW will be a lot newer and have more warranty, and gobs more room (if you take a female with you you'll need it lol). God forbid you have to pay to fix a Beemer. I remember those days, you never got it back for under $600 no matter what it was. I'm pretty sure my next ride will be a factory JCW.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 PM
MrsDarcy
Coordinator :: Alaska MINI Club
Originally Posted by urameatball
...nearly impossible to have sex in it.
Enough said...

Old 03-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
Guess I need to upgrade from my Just a Cooper.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 PM
KNuss
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I haven't had either car, but from what the OP seems to lean toward the JCW might be better. Plus for the same money the JCW will be a lot newer and have more warranty, and gobs more room (if you take a female with you you'll need it lol). God forbid you have to pay to fix a Beemer. I remember those days, you never got it back for under $600 no matter what it was. I'm pretty sure my next ride will be a factory JCW.
One thing I'm confused about is that I've owned several BMW's and from what other MINI owners say, it sounds like they have basically the same repair costs. BMW maintenance costs may be a bit higher, but not by much.
Am I completely off base here?

As far as carrying females in roadsters, if they can't appreciate the car for what it is I'm with the wrong girl!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do like the tilt steering in the mini

Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 PM
KNuss
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
I do like the tilt steering in the mini
My miata achieved the same purpose... as long as you're on the highway or drive an automatic.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by KNuss
One thing I'm confused about is that I've owned several BMW's and from what other MINI owners say, it sounds like they have basically the same repair costs. BMW maintenance costs may be a bit higher, but not by much.
Am I completely off base here?
You're probably right about repair costs. My point was if you've to $35k to spend you get a new JCW (no costs for 3 years) or you get an 07 Z4 with 35k miles on it. You'll be liable for repairs in that ride way sooner than the JCW, so figure that into your decision.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
KNuss
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
You're probably right about repair costs. My point was if you've to $35k to spend you get a new JCW (no costs for 3 years) or you get an 07 Z4 with 35k miles on it. You'll be liable for repairs in that ride way sooner than the JCW, so figure that into your decision.
Understood.. thanks for the insight.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
KNuss
1st Gear
As unpopular as the decision may be on this board, I've decided to go with the Z4. It just makes more sense to me at this point.

I came SUPER close to purchasing a leftover 09 JCW before I decided on the Z4 instead.

In my purchasing process, I was dealing with Mike Arata, the sales manager over at Mini of Annapolis. He is truly a great guy and very atypical of your normal car dealer.

Option list on the car I was looking at includes Midnight Black, Rooster Red Leather, Premium Package, 17" black crown spokes, chrome line interior, body color roof, Rooster Red color line, Xenons, Rear fog lamps, MINI HiFi sound system, and white turn signals.

The MSRP on the car is $34,400 but he's willing to make a ridiculously good deal (>12% off) if someone is interested.

He also has an new 09 JCW Clubman demo car with 3k miles.

I am posting this only because if someone is looking for a factory JCW at the moment, they can get a truly amazing deal on one of these cars.
If you PM me I'll give you Mike's contact info.

If this type of post is not allowed, please remove it.
I am completely unaffiliated with the dealer and am just trying to pass a great deal on to a member who may be looking to get their first JCW or make an upgrade.

Thanks for all the input!
When I'm tired of the Z4, I'll reconsider getting a MINI.
Hopefully this car lasts me more than the typical 6 months I usually keep a car.

Kevin

Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
good luck with your new car

see you in 6 months

after 2 years in the mini I still smile everytime I get in and can't help but to look back as I walk away from it

Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 PM
KNuss
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miniblucabrio

see you in 6 months

after 2 years in the mini I still smile everytime I get in and can't help but to look back as I walk away from it

Let's make it 9 months!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
miniblucabrio
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
LOL! enjoy that new ride and lets see some pics when you get it

Old 03-23-2010, 08:37 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miniblucabrio

see you in 6 months

I do exactly the same too. Every time I finish parking my mini... I always take a second glance as I walk away from it. I don't even know why.... LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JCW vs. Z4 Coupe