F60 :: Countryman Talk (2016-2023) F60 Countryman discussion

F60 Parking brake automatic? Passenger mirror dimming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:25 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Parking brake automatic? Passenger mirror dimming?

Guys, in a mini youtube video, they tell that the parking brake is automatically engaged when put in park and disengaged when putting in drive. Mine i is not automatic. I have to engage it my self. Is this normal?

also was wondering when you have dimming mirrors option, do you guys have dimming passenger side mirror also? Mine is only my side mirror dimming. Not passenger side.
By the way the side mirrors that have auto dimming, have thin line around the corner about 7mm in. My passenger side has no line. Is only full mirror. Also no dead corner piece.

Last edited by Miniminic; 01-08-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Can't comment on the dimming mirrors option, but on our '17 F54 auto, the electronic parking brake has to be activated manually and has no setting to engage automatically. It does, however, disengage either manually or automatically.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:54 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
My 2018 JCW has the inside rear view mirror and the two outside mirrors with the auto dimming feature. Addtionally the 2 outside mirrors have power folding.

(I have to say compared to the auto dimming mirrors on my 2003 996 Porsche Turbo the Mini mirrors don't dim quite as much.)

Maybe your car came with just the inside rear view auto dimming mirror?

My car is equipped with a 6-speed manual. The parking (hand) brake is manually operated.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:04 PM
Kowboycoop
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im pretty sure the automatic parking break engages when you are on a slope or incline. thats what mine does on my 2017 All 4 mini countryman s. than it disengages when you put in drive or reverse.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kowboycoop
Im pretty sure the automatic parking break engages when you are on a slope or incline. thats what mine does on my 2017 All 4 mini countryman s. than it disengages when you put in drive or reverse.
Interesting! In the manual for our Clubman, I do now see that it says that "[d]epending on the stopping situation, the parking brake is engaged automatically."

Guess I need to try parking on a hill!

Old 01-07-2018, 07:52 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Oh, wait, I discovered just the other day my JCW has "hill holding". Maybe that is what the OP was referring to "the parking brake is automatically engaged"?

And I just got back from a 61.5 mile drive and I take back what I said about the Mini auto-dimming mirrors. They work pretty good. I guess I'm just not that patient when some car pulls up behind mine and the headlights are blazing like a thousand suns. Under these circumstances I want to the mirrors to be dark right *now*. But it only takes a few moments and then as long as there is light from behind the mirrors stay dimmed.

No **** or anything anywhere on the rear view mirror. I do see some kind of "spot" center top in the inside rear view mirror which is probably (?) the light sensor. The outside rear view mirrors dim but do not have this "spot", at least none I could see from the driver's seat.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:30 AM
F56-JCDub
5th Gear
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
In my '18 JCW, the driver-side and rearview mirrors are auto-dimming. Passenger-side mirror is not.

Parking brake automatically engaged when on an incline/decline.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:48 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Sure looked like the passenger mirror auto dimmed last night in my JCW.

Just checked Mini Vehicle Configurator. It is a bit confusing.

The Cold Weather Package description says just the rear view and driver side exterior mirror dim.

Cold Weather Package
$750
STANDARD
$750

ADD PACKAGE TO CAR
Ideal for colder climates and saving money, the Cold Weather Package gives you heated front seats as well as auto-dimming rear-view and driver-side exterior mirrors.

But the Auto-Dimming & Powerflowing Mirrors description says the rear view and exterior *mirrors* use light-senstive elements to help minimize glare.

Auto-Dimming & Powerfolding Mirrors
$500
STANDARD
$500
The auto-dimming rear-view and exterior mirrors use light-sensitive elements to help minimize glare from headlights behind you.

My car doesn't have the cold weather package just the auto-dimming/power folding mirrors option.

I wonder then if there are two auto dimming set ups? With the cold weather package just the inside mirror and driver's side mirror auto dim.

But with the auto dimming/power folding option all 3 mirrors auto dim.

Might have to rig up some test to see if this is actually happening or if it is my imagination.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Seabiscuit
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
on a hill

Originally Posted by 1200K
Interesting! In the manual for our Clubman, I do now see that it says that "[d]epending on the stopping situation, the parking brake is engaged automatically."

Guess I need to try parking on a hill!
yes KowboyCoop is correct. Ours activated for the first time at the in-laws steep inclined driveway on Christmas eve. Surprised me ! worked good.
I think I pressed the brake pedal and push the button on the emergency brake and it disengaged pretty as you please, when we left.
pretty neat
Have a good one!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RockC
Sure looked like the passenger mirror auto dimmed last night in my JCW.

Just checked Mini Vehicle Configurator. It is a bit confusing.

The Cold Weather Package description says just the rear view and driver side exterior mirror dim.

Cold Weather Package
$750
STANDARD
$750

ADD PACKAGE TO CAR
Ideal for colder climates and saving money, the Cold Weather Package gives you heated front seats as well as auto-dimming rear-view and driver-side exterior mirrors.

But the Auto-Dimming & Powerflowing Mirrors description says the rear view and exterior *mirrors* use light-senstive elements to help minimize glare.

Auto-Dimming & Powerfolding Mirrors
$500
STANDARD
$500
The auto-dimming rear-view and exterior mirrors use light-sensitive elements to help minimize glare from headlights behind you.

My car doesn't have the cold weather package just the auto-dimming/power folding mirrors option.

I wonder then if there are two auto dimming set ups? With the cold weather package just the inside mirror and driver's side mirror auto dim.

But with the auto dimming/power folding option all 3 mirrors auto dim.

Might have to rig up some test to see if this is actually happening or if it is my imagination.
Mine are also folding and that discription of mirrorS fooled me also. I asked the dealer but he said only driversside and inside mirror. I will go to dealer for some other small issues. So i will check their demo models also. When i look in the manual it also says driversside and not passenger. So he could be right.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:45 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Only rear view and driver side mirror auto dim. Older model years did all three, but at some point (2017?) they changed to just the two. MINI's reasoning was that since the passenger mirror is farther away, the dimming made it harder to see. Last MINI had all three auto dim, current MINI has the two. Don't miss the passenger side dimming.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:20 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Only rear view and driver side mirror auto dim. Older model years did all three, but at some point (2017?) they changed to just the two. MINI's reasoning was that since the passenger mirror is farther away, the dimming made it harder to see. Last MINI had all three auto dim, current MINI has the two. Don't miss the passenger side dimming.
Good to know. At least it is as it is supposed to be and not exchanged or something. Too bad though they changed this. Thanx.