F60 Winter wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 05:59 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Winter wheels

Good day,.

We recently just bought a 2018 CM All4 S and love it. As I a, not a very knowledgeable and mechanically inclined, can someone help me in choosing set of wheels for my winters? Please bare in mind that I am located in Canada so online dealer like Tirerack is not the best option due to shipping and duty fee.

After much reading, I settle on going to 17’ with none runflat winters. Right now debating between either Blizzzak or X-Ice. I’ll keep my 18’ oem for spring/summer for now. As for spare, still trying to figure out the best option. My questions are as follow:

1. For 17’, I have to go down to 205 55R17 correct?
2. How do I determine the offset?
3. Would 2017 and 2018 17 oem works?
4. Would a spare 17’ fit I’m the under compartment in the trunk?

I saw those near me, would they work? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/o...ationFlag=true

For folks in Canada, do you have any recommended online retailer?

Thank you!

Old 11-13-2017, 06:18 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
I also found these one;

#1. Original post

#2. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-pneus-jantes...ationFlag=true

#3. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/l...ationFlag=true

Need advice. Thanks you so much!!

Old 11-13-2017, 10:53 AM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
I'd stay with 18's for winters. PLENTY of rubber. Will take a lot of the guess work out of the decision for you. If you go with 17's you will need to make sure they clear the calipers etc.
I have no idea of retailers in Canada. Canadian tire perhaps? There is a premium to buy off tirerack and ship to canada but a winter set up should last you at least 5 seasons. Factor that in and it's not that big a premium.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:20 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFunk
I'd stay with 18's for winters. PLENTY of rubber. Will take a lot of the guess work out of the decision for you. If you go with 17's you will need to make sure they clear the calipers etc.
I have no idea of retailers in Canada. Canadian tire perhaps? There is a premium to buy off tirerack and ship to canada but a winter set up should last you at least 5 seasons. Factor that in and it's not that big a premium.
When it comes to winter tires, narrower is better. You want the tires to cut into the snow and bite, not compact the snow, which is what you will get with 18s. Yes, this can be a problem with lower vehicles. But considering I drove my AMG C63 through 6 DC winters which was about 2" off the ground.... when we put snow tires on, we go for the smallest possible tire we can fit over the calipers (which on the 63.. the front calipers and rotors alone where bigger than most 16 and 17 wheels )

Old 11-14-2017, 03:56 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
When it comes to winter tires, narrower is better. You want the tires to cut into the snow and bite, not compact the snow, which is what you will get with 18s. Yes, this can be a problem with lower vehicles. But considering I drove my AMG C63 through 6 DC winters which was about 2" off the ground.... when we put snow tires on, we go for the smallest possible tire we can fit over the calipers (which on the 63.. the front calipers and rotors alone where bigger than most 16 and 17 wheels )
I agree completely.
But just because you're buying a 17 vs an 18 does not mean the tire will be narrower in every case. It all depends on the vehicle - weight etc and what tire you have to go to which will support that weight (the max load of the tires).

Factory 18's are 225/50-18. If choosing 17's the recommended tire size is 225/55-17.

BOTH 17's and 18's have the same width tire (225)

Heck - the 19's even run 225 width tires... so you are not getting a narrower tire in either 3 - all the same. Yes you are getting more side wall as you go down in size but for a road car even the 19's have plenty of rubber to deal with winter pot holes and for pliable tires. 18's would have even more.

I personally think 19's look the best and we have long winters so why not look sharp while you're in winter mode?

Yes - you can go with narrower than recommended but then you are risking the issues that come with that.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:02 PM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
I agree completely.
But just because you're buying a 17 vs an 18 does not mean the tire will be narrower in every case. It all depends on the vehicle - weight etc and what tire you have to go to which will support that weight (the max load of the tires).

Factory 18's are 225/50-18. If choosing 17's the recommended tire size is 225/55-17.

BOTH 17's and 18's have the same width tire (225)

Heck - the 19's even run 225 width tires... so you are not getting a narrower tire in either 3 - all the same. Yes you are getting more side wall as you go down in size but for a road car even the 19's have plenty of rubber to deal with winter pot holes and for pliable tires. 18's would have even more.

I personally think 19's look the best and we have long winters so why not look sharp while you're in winter mode?

Yes - you can go with narrower than recommended but then you are risking the issues that come with that.
I kinda keep forgetting how small the Mini's wheels and tires are. My C63 had 275 or 285 (depending on tire brand and fitment) rears, and 245 or 255 fronts on the 18s. When we went for Winters, we (I use the royal we)typically used 215's.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We went the 17" rim route since we had 17" Snow Tires from our previous CM S that match the snow tire size on the current CM/F60 cars if you look up MINI's Snow Tire Package details. The 18 and 19" rims would work too. These are the Michelin Snow Tires. I DID have to redo the wheel weights to clear the Front Calipers, so going down a size from your 18" rims has its drawbacks...

Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 PM
minimtx
1st Gear
Would these one fit?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/o...ationFlag=true

“bolt pattern 5x112.. 18x8. Et45. 235/60r18.”

Do I need to ask if the wheels require a spacer or if they are hub centric? Would it be a problem running the 235/60R18 tires that came with them?

Thanks again!

Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimtx
Would these one fit?

Do I need to ask if the wheels require a spacer or if they are hub centric? Would it be a problem running the 235/60R18 tires that came with them?

Thanks again!
If you know the model OZ Wheel, you can run it past Tire Rack or compare them on their website with your car loaded in as the spec vehicle. They are a bit wider of a Tire and rim, aren’t they, over stock...
At least the bolt pattern is right...

Old 11-22-2017, 07:56 PM
MrFunk
4th Gear
Would these one fit?

Thanks again!
You will want to know what the center bore size is on em - you most likely will need adapters
The offset is fine.
Bolt pattern is fine.
Tires are not OE size. Your ODO will be off...
The OE tire size for 18's is 225/50-18 - the ones you're looking at are almost 10% larger in diameter. https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Last edited by MrFunk; 11-22-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:46 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
You will want to know what the center bore size is on em - you most likely will need adapters
The offset is fine.
Bolt pattern is fine.
Tires are not OE size. Your ODO will be off...
The OE tire size for 18's is 225/50-18 - the ones you're looking at are almost 10% larger in diameter. https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Thank you everyone for your response.

So after doing some check on wheel-size.com, the specs for the oem rims are:

5x112, 7.5x18J, ET 51, Center bore 66.6 mm

So from what you said and what I am slowly (very slowly) understanding is that the wheels would work but tires are off specs.

The theory was to buy them mainly for the wheels. If the tires fit, all good but if not; I was going to resell them. However it seems like the size of the included tires are not the 'typical' size so resell would be very hard. So as much as it seems like a good deal, I would have to pass on this one and continue my search.

I actually got some quotes on replica wheels (Replica 43 & Replica 92) from a local shop. They told me that they would be hub centric (66.5 and 66.6 hub) so no need for spacer. Price is $160 per wheels for 17. I am leaning towards going with them but secretly hoping that TireRack would have some kind of discount tomorrow for Black Friday.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:18 PM
minimtx
1st Gear
Finally got a chance today to install my winter set. Settled on some Replika wheels:
Black, 225/55 r17, center 66.6, 7.5, offset 47
Blizzaks DM-V2 (none RFL)

Installed was was quick and easy as the fit was perfect until I heard some rubbing when backing out of the garage. Took a quick look and the external weights installed on the wheels was rubbing into the caliper.

Took off the weights and no more rubbing. However now I have both front and back unbalanced wheels . My understanding is that I can get a shop to rebalance the wheels but put the weights in different place. Is that correct?

For those that have used wheels with smaller offset, how did you do it? Should I be asking something specific from the shop to fix this?

Thank you.
Minh

Last edited by minimtx; 12-02-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Pure Red
4th Gear
Finally got a chance today to install my winter set. Settled on some Replika wheels:
Black, 225/55 r17, center 66.6, 7.5, offset 47
Blizzaks DM-V2 (none RFL)

Installed was was quick and easy as the fit was perfect until I heard some rubbing when backing out of the garage. Took a quick look and the external weights installed on the wheels was rubbing into the caliper.

Took off the weights and no more rubbing. However now I have both front and back unbalanced wheels . My understanding is that I can get a shop to rebalance the wheels but put the weights in different place. Is that correct?

For those that have used wheels with smaller offset, how did you do it? Should I be asking something specific from the shop to fix this?

Thank you.
Minh
. Exactly as you thought, move the weights further into the inside of the rim to clear those front calipers if possible. Our 17” rims have a stepped inside diameter that gets larger about 3/4” from where I first tried putting wheel weights. I moved and rebalanced all 4 rims as needed since we were hitting first time on the car mounted....

Old 12-05-2017, 08:47 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. Took the car to a tire shop yesterday and they were able to place the weights further back which cleared the calipers. Rebalanced them and no more issue now.

On a side note: whoa.. what a difference riding experience.. much smoother now.

Cheers!

Old 12-05-2017, 11:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
Yea, those flat wheel weights only work when they are not in the way. That F60 should be a tank in the snow now.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 AM
jvanbrecht
2nd Gear
What was the total cost if you don't mind me asking.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 PM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm actually considering the winter tire/wheel package from MINI:

https://www.shopminiusa.com/PRODUCT/...L-AND-TIRE-SET

It's $1,520 at my dealer, which is only about $200 above the package I put together online at Tire Rack, and for that amount I'd much prefer these wheels over the cheap winter wheels from Tire Rack. (I've had their cheap 'Sport Edition' winter wheels before and hated them - far from sturdy and ugly as sin. I'm not crazy about the silver color on these, but I'd end up getting these powder coated black next summer and feel a little better.)

Anyone have any experience with the Goodyear Ultra Grip 8 Performance tires in this package?

Old 12-08-2017, 05:21 AM
minimtx
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
What was the total cost if you don't mind me asking.

Price was about $1560 tax in (withstanding $70 mail-in rebate from Bridgestone). Bare in mind that anything here in Canada is much more expensive then the US.

Wheels = $560
Tires = $814 (including environmental fee)
Installed & balance = included

$1375 x 13% (HST tax) = $1560.

I asked for several quotes from different shop and all were at least $1150 and + more with the same concept. (aftermarket wheels + same tires)

For dealer's quote.. let's just not go there..*sigh*

Cheers!