F57 :: Convertible Talk (2016+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (F57) discussions.

F57 Wife thinking of switching to F57

Old 06-01-2019, 05:23 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wife thinking of switching to F57

Hello to all you "topless" folks out there! So after 5 consecutive Countryman S All4's owned by my wife, she announces this morning that the CM "is too big", and now she wants a convertible. This was somewhat shocking to me, since she had maintained for years that she doesn't like them. She went to our dealership last week for regular maintenance on her CM, and spotted a '19 Black F57. So yesterday...after about 5 days since, I go online to find out that not only is the car she liked is gone, but they went from 12 F57's on the lot to 2 of them. So now of course she wants to build one, which I would have had her do anyways. So a couple of questions: What type of quality are the "softtops"? How well do they hold up to the elements, since we live in the Seattle area? (Rain, rain, rain). Are there products available to help maintain the top? How much headroom would you say there is compared to a hardtop F56? The reason that question is relevant is because I drive her Mini's frequently, and I am 6'5" tall, but slim at 205 lbs. Will I fit? What exactly is a "signature"? Is there anything else I need to know when doing the build? I noticed there are not a lot of "packages" available when building a F57.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Mike

Old 06-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Moondog1957
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might be able to answer one of your questions. I just purchased a 2019 black F57 base model. I purchased it used with 3400 miles on it. My son in law is 6’6”, he fits into the car. Of course, the car seat is back as far as it will go, and the steering wheel is in as far as it will go. I am new to the Mini family. But, I have had a number of soft tops, or hard top convertibles in the past. I really enjoy the F57. It is comfortable and easy to drive.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:09 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
What exactly is a "signature"?

It appears that the 'totally al a carte ordering' days are over .... daughter just bought an F57 and as she was shopping I was brought up to date on how one builds the convert' anyway!

there are 3 convertibles: Cooper, Cooper S and Cooper JCW

and within each of these are 3 trim levels: classic, signature, iconic

these trim levels incorporate a bunch of the main choices like wheels, interior, entertainment into 'groups' ..... reminds me a bunch of my Focus ST which comes as ST-1, ST-2 or ST-3 and not too much is available that's outside of these major trim packages. There are some COLORS that can only be had with better packages. The packages are 'cumulative' ... if the buy SIG' it includes everything in classic PLUS .... but plus might be 'upgraded' https://www.miniusa.com/tools/learni...tible/build/0/

I found it difficult to find a comprehensive list of what each package included ... I found lists but not complete lists. Daughter specifically wanted the Aqua blue and this means you at least go SIGNATURE. She bought a Cooper / signature manual tranny, added LED headlights .. it was an off the lot purchase (thru insurance company buying service which landed a price below the 'internet price' she'd been given)

btw .... manual tranny was an 'issue' ..... they are few and far between in our experience (Florida)

quality of the top .....

my first car was a convert ' .... a 66 Mustang and in the following 40+ years I've had several more: WV Rabbit, Miata, now an R59. First thing to note of course is the MINI top is fabric not vinyl and it has a glass window with heater (common today, not seen much back in 70's 80's and even my 95 Miata was plastic zipout.) IMO fabric is better, certainly seen most of 'higher end' cars but you might find some arguments about that. One thing I'm not a fan of the the F57 and all regular ragtop MINI is the extra complication of the top with the 'sunroof' mode. Seems like extra complication to break versus any good addition but that opinion. (Our R59 top does not have this added feature) So far MINI has been quite good about the top IMO ... mine has been replaced once already under warranty. There can be issues .... this isn't my car but you get the idea

if not clear the window should NOT be "undone" ..... it separated

For care I use RAGGTOPP protectant

A friend of mine just put a new cloth top on a special edition 93 Miata and this is the only product that is allowed under the warranty for the particular top maker.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 06-02-2019 at 06:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
normtrum (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:34 AM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
What exactly is a "signature"?

It appears that the 'totally al a carte ordering' days are over .... daughter just bought an F57 and as she was shopping I was brought up to date on how one builds the convert' anyway!

there are 3 convertibles: Cooper, Cooper S and Cooper JCW

and within each of these are 3 trim levels: classic, signature, iconic

these trim levels incorporate a bunch of the main choices like wheels, interior, entertainment into 'groups' ..... reminds me a bunch of my Focus ST which comes as ST-1, ST-2 or ST-3 and not too much is available that's outside of these major trim packages. There are some COLORS that can only be had with better packages. The packages are 'cumulative' ... if the buy SIG' it includes everything in classic PLUS .... but plus might be 'upgraded' https://www.miniusa.com/tools/learni...tible/build/0/

I found it difficult to find a comprehensive list of what each package included ... I found lists but not complete lists. Daughter specifically wanted the Aqua blue and this means you at least go SIGNATURE. She bought a Cooper / signature manual tranny, added LED headlights .. it was an off the lot purchase (thru insurance company buying service which landed a price below the 'internet price' she'd been given)

btw .... manual tranny was an 'issue' ..... they are few and far between in our experience (Florida)

quality of the top .....

my first car was a convert ' .... a 66 Mustang and in the following 40+ years I've had several more: WV Rabbit, Miata, now an R59. First thing to note of course is the MINI top is fabric not vinyl and it has a glass window with heater (common today, not seen much back in 70's 80's and even my 95 Miata was plastic zipout.) IMO fabric is better, certainly seen most of 'higher end' cars but you might find some arguments about that. One thing I'm not a fan of the the F57 and all regular ragtop MINI is the extra complication of the top with the 'sunroof' mode. Seems like extra complication to break versus any good addition but that opinion. (Our R59 top does not have this added feature) So far MINI has been quite good about the top IMO ... mine has been replaced once already under warranty. There can be issues .... this isn't my car but you get the idea

if not clear the window should NOT be "undone" ..... it separated

For care I use RAGGTOPP protectant

A friend of mine just put a new cloth top on a special edition 93 Miata and this is the only product that is allowed under the warranty for the particular top maker.
Thank you so much for all the great information! much appreciated! What an awesome gift for one of your kids! You gave me pretty much all the answers I was looking for. Thanks again!

Mike
Originally Posted by Moondog1957
I might be able to answer one of your questions. I just purchased a 2019 black F57 base model. I purchased it used with 3400 miles on it. My son in law is 6’6”, he fits into the car. Of course, the car seat is back as far as it will go, and the steering wheel is in as far as it will go. I am new to the Mini family. But, I have had a number of soft tops, or hard top convertibles in the past. I really enjoy the F57. It is comfortable and easy to drive.
Thank you for the reply! That answers a big question...can I fit into a F57 being 6'5" tall? If you SIL can do it....I should be able to do it! I was concerned that my head would be hitting some sort of bar in the hood, but it looks like one piece. To be honest I BARELY fit into my hardtop F56 JCW. I am forced to lean back as well, and sometimes its tough cause you want to be in the best position to handle your car....especially on a race track. Now I have not race my car yet, but when I do in a few months, I know I'm going to have problems with the helmet!

Old 06-02-2019, 02:55 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
What an awesome gift for one of your kids!

GIFT .... HELL NO

she recently got a new job which amounted to a BIG raise (and she wasn't doing bad b4) ... she bought this all on her own ...... I just helped with some of the shopping

Got a 4 year degree from Bama in 3.5 years ..... got an entry level job in her field of choice soon after graduation .... moved to a better one in 18 months and recently better yet. Graduated with NO student debt because she had the smarts and worked the applications to get GOOD scholarships. She's got money in the bank on top of a solid 401k balance for her age. Graduated in Bama in 14!
(Proud daddy? YOU BET)

and wouldn't a plan ahead for you to be sitting in ANY F57? Seat height ain't different 'tween the models. When dau was wanting but unsure I sent her to a dealer to drive a Cooper 'vert with a manual, ignoring other options. "did you like it?" We moved on from there . . .

NO GIFT ... she earned it!

Last edited by Capt_bj; 06-02-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:08 PM
MiniMeep
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've owned all 3 generations of Mini Convertibles now and can say they have improved with each generation (except for the steering feedback which has become more normal car like and loosing that connected to the road feel). The R57 is pretty quiet inside for a convertible and isolate outside noise quite well.

With the soft top car, you should see the water bead on the fabric, once that stops it's time to apply a cleaner and then fabric protectant / waterproofer (eg Autoglym), you probably need to do this once a year.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:36 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
What an awesome gift for one of your kids!

GIFT .... HELL NO

she recently got a new job which amounted to a BIG raise (and she wasn't doing bad b4) ... she bought this all on her own ...... I just helped with some of the shopping

Got a 4 year degree from Bama in 3.5 years ..... got an entry level job in her field of choice soon after graduation .... moved to a better one in 18 months and recently better yet. Graduated with NO student debt because she had the smarts and worked the applications to get GOOD scholarships. She's got money in the bank on top of a solid 401k balance for her age. Graduated in Bama in 14!
(Proud daddy? YOU BET)

and wouldn't a plan ahead for you to be sitting in ANY F57? Seat height ain't different 'tween the models. When dau was wanting but unsure I sent her to a dealer to drive a Cooper 'vert with a manual, ignoring other options. "did you like it?" We moved on from there . . .

NO GIFT ... she earned it!
Wow. Ok it was certainly not my intent to upset you. I just made the wrong assumption. And of course I would want to sit in a f57 to see if I can actually fit. But if you recall from my post there were not any available for me to sit in. Plus I don't really care if it's a tough fit for me....or if I don't fit at all. The car is for my 5'3 wife. Not for me. I fit just fine in my JCW. Again....my apologies

Old 06-15-2019, 09:20 AM
Mad Mini 19
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wife has a '19 F57 S. When we gave up 2-wheeled touring, she had always liked the MC. I told her the only two things the car had to be able to do is, I had to be able to get my crippled as* in and out of it (wear a brace on my left leg) and I had to be able to sit in it with the top up and still be able to wear my ball cap without issue (I'm 6'2"), the car met those requirements and we signed the paperwork. So far we have been real happy with the car. Mac

The following users liked this post:
MiniMeep (06-15-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 02:06 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
1. You did not upset me .... other than implying she needed daddy to buy for her .... she's capable on her own.

2. I read your original post to say the dealer had two but not what you/she wanted ..... for 'sizing' it wouldn't really matter which version it was as the headroom won't change.