F57 :: Convertible Talk (2016+) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (F57) discussions.

F57 Oil checking a '19 MCS 2.0L??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 PM
Mad Mini 19
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Oil checking a '19 MCS 2.0L??

I've got to know if any of you guys or gals rely entirely on the DIC to insure that your engine oil level is where it needs to be? I'm OLD, I'm OLD school, I'm not afraid to get my hands oily either, I still like the idea of pulling a stick and verifying engine/trans. oil/fluid levels. Has this become a redundant job or is the system that precise and reliable? Question I have is, can a person retro-fit a stick from an earlier model 2.0L motor into a later model? Just asking because I like to fix stuff that ain't broke (Ha, Ha). Thanx for any and all replies in advance. Mac
PS This might be a duplicate thread because I made one earlier and I think it went to cyber space.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:45 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I recall reading a post that mentioned that the engine still had the casting where the dipstick would go. I'm old school but the electronic oil reading system is so simple that my wife will actually check it once in awhile. With the old dipstick I don't think she has checked the oil . . . ever.

I'm 100% in favor of using the new way. Everything else is pretty much electronic and computer controlled but people only moan about the dipstick. Drive by wire, electronic steering, electric rear differential. Applying the brakes automatically to keep you from plummeting off a cliff in a steep curve at fast speeds. Piped in engine sounds.

ranting over

Old 06-22-2018, 03:35 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
I don't think a retrofit of a dipstick would be possible. The new MINI engines are part of the current BMW engine lineup, a lineup that has never included physical dipsticks. So my guess is, you wouldn't be able to find the proper parts and would end up having to drill into the engine block or something. Not worth it.

The following users liked this post:
Mad Mini 19 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
B47 engine, not sure how compatible parts are but . . . http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_5669

Mad Mini 19 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:26 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
B47 engine, not sure how compatible parts are but . . . http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_5669
Interesting that the diesels have them!

Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Well isn’t that interesting!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_5500

If the diesel and gasoline engines use the same oil pan — and according to this, they do — then it may well be possible to retrofit a dipstick, unless the bung is sealed and welded closed.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:57 PM
Mad Mini 19
1st Gear
I recall reading a post that mentioned that the engine still had the casting where the dipstick would go. I'm old school but the electronic oil reading system is so simple that my wife will actually check it once in awhile. With the old dipstick I don't think she has checked the oil . . . ever.

I'm 100% in favor of using the new way. Everything else is pretty much electronic and computer controlled but people only moan about the dipstick. Drive by wire, electronic steering, electric rear differential. Applying the brakes automatically to keep you from plummeting off a cliff in a steep curve at fast speeds. Piped in engine sounds.

ranting over
n
Yeah, I was going to buy a Ford Raptor a couple of years ago and yes they "pumped in" the motor sounds, REALLY! with a 428HP motor?? I hope I've "moved on" when AI cars are the THING! I have to admit, I do trust computers to do most "analyzing" today, I just didn't think People were getting that lazy. Thanks Mac

Last edited by Mad Mini 19; 06-22-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Mad Mini 19
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bratling
Well isn’t that interesting!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_5500

If the diesel and gasoline engines use the same oil pan — and according to this, they do — then it may well be possible to retrofit a dipstick, unless the bung is sealed and welded closed.
I might have to crawl under this thing and remove the splash guard and feel around the pan and block to see if a bung is there or not. Mac

Old 06-22-2018, 03:15 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Mini 19
I've got to know if any of you guys or gals rely entirely on the DIC to insure that your engine oil level is where it needs to be? I'm OLD, I'm OLD school, I'm not afraid to get my hands oily either, I still like the idea of pulling a stick and verifying engine/trans. oil/fluid levels. Has this become a redundant job or is the system that precise and reliable? Question I have is, can a person retro-fit a stick from an earlier model 2.0L motor into a later model? Just asking because I like to fix stuff that ain't broke (Ha, Ha). Thanx for any and all replies in advance. Mac
PS This might be a duplicate thread because I made one earlier and I think it went to cyber space.

Back in Jan. 2002 bought a new 2002 Porsche Boxster.

It had a dipstick to check engine oil and the electronic oil level checking system.

While I used the dipstick at oil change time to confirm I had added the right amount of oil -- like counting empty bottles wasn't reliable enough -- I never used the dipstick at other times.

The Boxster spoiled me being able to check the oil level prior to starting the engine from inside the car or after filling the fuel tank again from inside the car.

With my other cars it felt so odd to have to get out of the car and open the hood and use the dipstick to check the oil level.

Then I got a Porsche 996 Turbo. No dipstick option. In fact the digital oil level system would not let one check the oil level unless the engine was idling, up to temperature, and the car was level.

My 2018 Hellcat has a dipstick. What a pain to check the engine oil level. The telltale is hard to read and it hard to determine if what I'm seeing is oil that represents the oil level or what.

My JCW's digital oil level system works a treat and makes me wish my Hellcat had something similar.

One thing that one might not think about is the digital oil level system is not really for use when changing the oil, to measure the amount of oil one adds to the engine.

The engine oil is drained hot and drained for a certain amount of time. (Generally the factory service manual spells the oil drain prerequisites out.) Then a *known* quantity of oil is added to the engine. (My 2018 Mini JCW takes 5 quarts, and the oil comes in a 5 quart jug.) The engine is started and run and then the oil level is checked to make sure the reading *agrees* with the amount of oil known to be in the engine.

This is how the digital oil level system is confirmed to be working properly.

After my experience with my Porsche Boxster and Turbo and my albeit brief time with my JCW, no way I would ever consider trying to retro-fit a dipstick to the engine.

Mad Mini 19 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Mad Mini 19
1st Gear
Dealer told me that the 2.0L holds 4.5 quarts with filter change. The fist 3 oil changes will be done by the dealer. Now he also told me that they would need to be done at 10K, again here I go...… 10K sounds a little high to me, especially with turbos, where higher temps are experienced and with the higher RPM's of a 4 cyl. I am a synthetic oil believer and I know oils are engineered better with their additive packages, but.....10K?? Mac

Old 06-22-2018, 08:16 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
10K or 1 year unless your driving and the computer algorithms warn on earlier miles. Most MINI "enthusiasts" on this board tend to pay for or do an in between oil change.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Mad Mini 19
1st Gear
10K or 1 year unless your driving and the computer algorithms warn on earlier miles. Most MINI "enthusiasts" on this board tend to pay for or do an in between oil change.
I'm kinda thinking the same thing at the moment plus, the car will only be used in the summer time. I have a chev Colorado for the winters here in Wisconsin. Mac