F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Few question about Cooper S 4 door

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:22 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Few question about Cooper S 4 door

Hi all! I am new here and few days ago purchased used 2016 Cooper S Hardtop 4 door model and have few questions for users. Is this F55 or F56?

1) Does MINI dealership replace or resurface rotors? - The reason I ask is that I feel when I am going fast, the brakes need more distance to stop, as if the brake and rotor size is smaller than should be. The brake pads aren't worn out and the car has less than 20k miles on it. The rotors are not 100% smooth and I do feel some waves when I use my nail over the rotors. Could it contribute to longer stopping power?
2) There is a rattle possibly coming from the trunk or passenger side back. The car is still under warranty - don't know if it is covered or not
3) The right hatch lift support makes a bit of squeaking noise when I close the hatch/lid. Possibly ball joint needs to be greased?
4) When changing oil, would 4 quarts of oil be sufficient?

I might have more question, but now there are the most important ones, thanks!

Old 03-08-2019, 05:17 AM
Kyle Parent
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F55
1. Will they replace them? Yes. Will they replace them for free. Not Likely.
2. Squeaks and Rattles are always tough to diagnose. Won't know unless you bring it in, but be prepared for a Diagnosis Fee.
3. Try some WD-40 first before more trips to the dealer.
4. Manual calls for 5 quarts, but your digital oil gauge will read a little low. I always put a little over 5 quarts.

The following users liked this post:
Imperial (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kyle Parent
F55
1. Will they replace them? Yes. Will they replace them for free. Not Likely.
2. Squeaks and Rattles are always tough to diagnose. Won't know unless you bring it in, but be prepared for a Diagnosis Fee.
3. Try some WD-40 first before more trips to the dealer.
4. Manual calls for 5 quarts, but your digital oil gauge will read a little low. I always put a little over 5 quarts.
I remember when I bought Scion XD brand new in 2008 and drove for 8 years, Toyota never charged any fees while car was in warranty.
I made an appointment for item #2 and see if the mechanic will be able to find the rattle. They told me that I would have to drive with him while he is checking the noise. No word about diagnosis fee, at least not yet

I have heard before that older models were more problematic and did find this 2016 cooper s which is fairly fresh model. The car has low miles + under warranty - I hope for the best. I usually take care of the vehicles I had and don't wait long if something needs my attention.
Any idea about the reliability of a MINI? Possibly your experience?

Really appreciate your input!

Old 03-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperial
Hi all! I am new here and few days ago purchased used 2016 Cooper S Hardtop 4 door model and have few questions for users. Is this F55 or F56?

1) Does MINI dealership replace or resurface rotors? - The reason I ask is that I feel when I am going fast, the brakes need more distance to stop, as if the brake and rotor size is smaller than should be. The brake pads aren't worn out and the car has less than 20k miles on it. The rotors are not 100% smooth and I do feel some waves when I use my nail over the rotors. Could it contribute to longer stopping power?
2) There is a rattle possibly coming from the trunk or passenger side back. The car is still under warranty - don't know if it is covered or not
3) The right hatch lift support makes a bit of squeaking noise when I close the hatch/lid. Possibly ball joint needs to be greased?
4) When changing oil, would 4 quarts of oil be sufficient?

I might have more question, but now there are the most important ones, thanks!
Wife has the 2016 F55 non S. Similar miles and brakes work great. Your car was probably driven more harshly than hers and someone used the brakes a lot more. Generally MINI will replace rotors and not resurface at your expense. If the rotors are good they will just do the pads. I'd either DIY or go to an indy for money savings.

Rattles should be found under warranty without any diagnostic fee. I took my F56S in three times for this, no charges at all. In the end however some new noises always pop up. The F55 is relatively quiet however.

Under warranty, let them lube or replace parts to eliminate noises under hood.

Oil capacity on the F55, can't recall but it has been posted elsewhere.

Imperial (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Wife has the 2016 F55 non S. Similar miles and brakes work great. Your car was probably driven more harshly than hers and someone used the brakes a lot more. Generally MINI will replace rotors and not resurface at your expense. If the rotors are good they will just do the pads. I'd either DIY or go to an indy for money savings.

Rattles should be found under warranty without any diagnostic fee. I took my F56S in three times for this, no charges at all. In the end however some new noises always pop up. The F55 is relatively quiet however.

Under warranty, let them lube or replace parts to eliminate noises under hood.

Oil capacity on the F55, can't recall but it has been posted elsewhere.
Brakes on the car work just fine, but I feel that they should be better. I am comparing this mini to my 2016 GTI which has bigger brakes The car was apparently first purchased in California which is pretty hot there and using brakes making rotors and pads hot. To my surprise the pads are about 70% new. I wonder if car is new, the rotors are nice and even, but after 20K, would the rotors be similar or develop some waves on them?
I will see what dealer will say and hope that they can pin point where the rattle is coming from. I am just thinking to get the most out of the warranty while car is still covered.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:07 AM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
The oil capacity is 5 ltr not, 5 quarts. That's why it shows a little low when you put in 5 quarts. If you buy the MINI brand oil, it comes in 1 ltr bottles.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:18 AM
Kyle Parent
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a little over 5 liters then . Nothing but Mini branded oil in her.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:48 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by N0B0DY
The oil capacity is 5 ltr not, 5 quarts. That's why it shows a little low when you put in 5 quarts. If you buy the MINI brand oil, it comes in 1 ltr bottles.
I see. If I let the MINI dealership do the oil change, do you know which oil grade would they use?
I have read the manual and it mentions 0W-20 is recommended.

Old 03-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kyle Parent
I put a little over 5 liters then . Nothing but Mini branded oil in her.
So MINI branded oil is a Castrol or something else?

Old 03-09-2019, 06:36 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
I see. If I let the MINI dealership do the oil change, do you know which oil grade would they use?
I have read the manual and it mentions 0W-20 is recommended.
Probably best to ask the service department at the dealership. The grade of oil used will depend on the model year of the car.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:37 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Probably best to ask the service department at the dealership. The grade of oil used will depend on the model year of the car.
Will do!
I bought my 3 year old MINI cooper S with less than 20K on it from a Ford dealership. According to this dealership and carfax, they have performed 125 point inspection and oil + filter change at BMW service center 6 months before I purchased it. During that time car was sitting at the lot and wasn't driven except for couple of customers test drives. The car doesn't have a dipstick to check oil color. Looking at the engine oil cap, I do see that oil is dark, but not black. Would you say I should change it anyway or believe that dealership really did change it?

Old 03-10-2019, 08:26 PM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
If they did it at a BMW service center, you should be able to verify that at a BMW service center.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:24 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
If they did it at a BMW service center, you should be able to verify that at a BMW service center.
I'll be questioning them tomorrow for my piece of mind

ToyCar (03-20-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 09:52 AM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Brakes on the car work just fine, but I feel that they should be better. I am comparing this mini to my 2016 GTI which has bigger brakes The car was apparently first purchased in California which is pretty hot there and using brakes making rotors and pads hot. To my surprise the pads are about 70% new...
The factory brakes on my 2015 F55 have very poor initial bite, but when I push them hard and give them a second to heat up I can pull 1G braking force. Once. Then they have to cool down.

I have just shy of 30,000mi on this car. The rear brake pads were replaced at 28k in January but the fronts are still on the first pair. (The stability control system apparently uses the rear brakes pretty liberally and can wear out the rears faster than the front. Which I find weird as heck.)

Pretty much as soon as the 3 year maintenance runs out I plan to replace the pads with EBC RedStuff, front and rear. The factory pads are s***.

Imperial (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 01:55 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bratling

The factory brakes on my 2015 F55 have very poor initial bite, but when I push them hard and give them a second to heat up I can pull 1G braking force. Once. Then they have to cool down.

I have just shy of 30,000mi on this car. The rear brake pads were replaced at 28k in January but the fronts are still on the first pair. (The stability control system apparently uses the rear brakes pretty liberally and can wear out the rears faster than the front. Which I find weird as heck.)

Pretty much as soon as the 3 year maintenance runs out I plan to replace the pads with EBC RedStuff, front and rear. The factory pads are s***.
Since I have the car for about a week, I haven't tried to push it yet, as I am trying to find out from the dealer what was performed on the car, such as inspection, oil/filter change and so on. I did test drive it at a fun speed and just felt the brakes were not as quick to act, but if you are saying they may need to warm up, I will test that too.
I will check the rear rotors and pads again, but believe they were still good

Last edited by Imperial; 03-11-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:28 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Since I have the car for about a week, I haven't tried to push it yet, as I am trying to find out from the dealer what was performed on the car, such as inspection, oil/filter change and so on. I did test drive it at a fun speed and just felt the brakes were as quick to act, but if you are saying they may need to warm up, I will test that too.
I will check the rear rotors and pads again, but believe they were still good
ultimately you’ll want to make your own judgement of course. Mine is in comparison to my 2009 R55 and my spouse’s 2014 Countryman S, both of which have much stronger initial bite, linear response and good ultimate stopping power. The brakes on my F55 feel squishy, and always have. Response is distinctly non linear. Dealer declares it normal. It Is the only aspect of the car’s performance I consider unacceptable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Iif you are happy with the brakes on your car, excellent!

Old 03-11-2019, 11:29 PM
Imperial
3rd Gear
Hmm. I never felt brakes to be squishy and the pedal travel is balanced, but I may just need a bit more force until I feel secure and confident that car is following my orders. I was at the BMW dealership as they were the ones to supposedly change oil, filter and do some inspection. I asked the service guy, about the oil grade and the kind of filter they used on the car, but he didn't know. I then talked to parts department and guy there told me that when they get a used car, then usually opt for cheaper filter and possibly oil too, but since MINI is part of BMW he said "most likely" the tech used proper grade items. So the BMW did the oil change back in 08/18, but the car wasn't driven as it was sitting at the lot for 6 months and waiting for me to purchase it I don't want to risk it by having possibly aftermarket cheap filter and not knowing the oil grade. MINI dealer told me that there is a Complimentary Maintenance 3y/36K miles and my car is eligible for it until Nov this year, but I read online that it is not transferrable to other consecutive buyers. Don't know how strict dealers are about this