F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Phoenix wrench party?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 02:41 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Phoenix wrench party?

I just got a new NM 25mm rear sway bar, with new sway bar links. I *think* I can install it, but I'd rather be safe. So, if anyone is familiar with doing this in Phoenix and wouldn't mind helping...

I'm not looking for free, btw, just cheaper than the $700-1000 quoted by my shop. And to be fair, I don't want you to do the work. I really just want you to make sure I don't completely **** up the work, heh.

Anyway, if anyone is interested and available, please message me. I can provide beer and munchies.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:59 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Never mind I thought you said Wench party, but then again I think my wife would object to my traveling all the way to Phoenix without her.

I also got crazy quotes for install as well so I skipped it for the time being. If you can't get a party going, you might look for one of those DIY garages where they often will help you out as needed and also have the correct wrenches or wenches?

Old 11-13-2018, 06:44 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
lol! Wench party would've been fun, too . As it was, I found a Craigslist mobile mechanic who came to my place. We managed to get the swap done for...$60!!! And, to echo so many others who have swapped out the rear sway bar...the result is amazing!

Unfortunately, I have to jack up the car again this weekend because I don't remember if I re-connected the brake lines

Old 11-13-2018, 01:11 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Way MotorWorks only charged me $100 for labor on my rear bar some yrs back. Only took 'em maybe 30 minutes (or less).

Old 11-14-2018, 08:16 AM
RetroBoat
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What difference did you notice with the rear sway bar installed. I'm in the Phoenix area as well.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RetroBoat
What difference did you notice with the rear sway bar installed. I'm in the Phoenix area as well.
The body roll in the rear is pretty much completely eliminated, and the roll from the front seems to be much less as well. This has brought me back to my R56 level of go-kart-ness, which is what I was missing in my 2019 MCS.

Now, if I can just figure out how to permanently disable rev-matching (without having to turn off DSC)....

Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
There's less understeer for sure. I don't have much body roll with my Coupe (with sport suspension, and very stiffert frame and body than your car), but my friend's R56 had quite a bit when I drove hers with the standard suspension.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
There's less understeer for sure. I don't have much body roll with my Coupe (with sport suspension, and way stiffer frame and body than your car), but my friend's R56 had quite a bit when I drove hers with the standard suspension.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 AM
RetroBoat
1st Gear
Mine doesn't roll either, but has understeer when pushed hard. Sway bars tend to limit suspension travel just wondering if a big difference was felt.

Big Newt I see you are a AZ guy as well.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:03 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
I honestly can't tell if there is a difference with the suspension because I replaced the DDC with some custom coilovers about a week prior to the sway bar.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM
RetroBoat
1st Gear
I've got KW coilovers on mine with 18" wheels. Wondering if a rear sway bar would do much or not.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:24 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidPinAZ
I just got a new NM 25mm rear sway bar, with new sway bar links. I *think* I can install it, but I'd rather be safe. So, if anyone is familiar with doing this in Phoenix and wouldn't mind helping...

I'm not looking for free, btw, just cheaper than the $700-1000 quoted by my shop. And to be fair, I don't want you to do the work. I really just want you to make sure I don't completely **** up the work, heh.

Anyway, if anyone is interested and available, please message me. I can provide beer and munchies.
I will be in Scottsdale Arizona this weekend to vist and do some Jeep trails.
I will be bringing my equipment for MINI Cooper ECU Tuning. The F series gains are 50whp to 75whp and 100wtq gains
you can send me an email if interested MarioPalza@gmail.com

Mario

mQubed Motorsport Manic & RPM Power Tuning

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 11-15-2018, 02:31 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
I've got KW coilovers on mine with 18" wheels. Wondering if a rear sway bar would do much or not.
It does a different thing than coilovers. Apples and oranges.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:49 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have Two Minis. A 2007 MCS with K Sport coil overs and a 25.5 MM rear sway bar. I autocross with the SCCA with that one here in Phoenix. The Rear Sway bar makes the car lean less in hard cornering and thus controls the cars turns. In autocross the trick to being fast in a Mini is getting the rear to break loose and make the turns more aggressive. The rear Sway Bar helps this. On my 2014 MCS I have stock suspension. I have daily driven the 2007 for 3 years and with the Coil Overs the ride is rather harsh and bumpy. When I turn in driveways sharply I lift a rear tire as well. Fun car. I auto crossed the F56 MCS last month for kicks with the stock set up and was not far off my marks. The F56 is wider and longer wheel base to it is inherently more stable. However a set of K Sport coil overs and a big rear sway bar and the F56 MCS would be much faster in autocross.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:15 PM
RetroBoat
1st Gear
Thanks for the info a follow up info. I bought mine used and didn't know it had a rear sway bar until last Friday. I've never pushed it hard enough to get anything to break loose. Not sure how it would react and didn't want to find out the hard way.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:28 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
In autocrossing a mini you dive in deep into a corner brake hard and turn quick breaking the rear end loose to have it quickly follow around the front. It sounds crazy. Bigger sway bars or raised rear tire pressure helps

Old 12-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
No matter what your levels set up is from totally stock to totally set up autocross is a great way to learn your car. I would highly recommend everyone on this board to come out to Arizona motorsports Park in Litchfield Park on Camelback this Sunday and give it a try. You will not regret it and you'll learn a lot about your car.
Www.mindthecones.com
Www.azsolo.com

Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 AM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sstrickstein
No matter what your levels set up is from totally stock to totally set up autocross is a great way to learn your car. I would highly recommend everyone on this board to come out to Arizona motorsports Park in Litchfield Park on Camelback this Sunday and give it a try. You will not regret it and you'll learn a lot about your car.
Www.mindthecones.com
Www.azsolo.com
This sounds so awesome!!! I have so many questions, though. Mind if I ask them here?

Old 12-05-2018, 07:58 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Www.mindthecones.com
Www.azsolo.com
There is even an event on Saturday for the Tucson folk!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 AM
RetroBoat
1st Gear
This sounds so awesome!!! I have so many questions, though. Mind if I ask them here?
Why not ??

Old 12-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
Sure ask away or PM me

Old 12-05-2018, 08:38 AM
lotter1
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Sure ask away or PM me
If you don't mind, can we do it on this post or start a new one. Others might also be interested and have Q's. I know I am interested

Old 12-05-2018, 12:32 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Awesome, thanks! I’m putting the list together in between meetings...and maybe during them, lol!

Old 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
DavidPinAZ
3rd Gear
Ok, here’s what I have:

- Where can I get a helmet? Will there be loaner helmets there?

- it looks like it starts at 7p. When should I get there? How long, approximately, will it last? Will the track be lit up with lights?

- do I need to register by Thursday to race? Or can I register there? Same for the SCCA memberships.

- if I have to register before, do I need to know what class I’m in, or will they tell me during the tech inspection?

- how many goes around the cones will there be per driver?

for my MCS, I’ll have a Dinan elite, coil overs, a modified engine mount and the JCW kit. And an aftermarket shift ****.

Thanks for any answers you can help with!!

Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Sstrickstein
3rd Gear
The SCCA does have loaner helmets. Registration opens at 7am. Tech looks at several basic safety items(stock cars have no issues). The only problem mods are loud intake or exhaust. There is a 93 dB sound limit tested by track owner. You'll probably run in D street stock novice.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Phoenix wrench party?