F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 About to add JCW Tuning Kit... Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:29 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Loccusst
If you get an aftermarket tune does it stack on top of the JCW tune? In other words, JCW tune puts you at 208 and you add a 30HP tune you now have a 238 tune or does it ignore the JCW tune to just add the 30 to the stock HP?
Let's define terms first.

A "tune" usually means changing some of the engine computer's parameters, or instructions.

A "piggyback" is some sort of hardware that intercepts sensor data on its way to the engine computer, and changes that data.

So, tunes don't stack -- the engine computer only has one set of instructions. (Ignore for now a couple of exception conditions, such as GREEN mode.) if you get a JCW tune installed, then a Bytetronik tune, the BT replaces the JCW.

Piggybacks can stack on a tune. People have seen very good results from getting the JCW tune then putting a piggyback (NM, Dinan, etc.) onto the engine.

However not all tunes can be safely stacked this way. The JCW tune is relatively mild and conservative, so if you lie to it with a piggyback module, you'll still be well within the engine's safety limits. But get an aggressive tune, and you should not add a piggyback -- once you start feeding false data to a system already pushing the edge of the safe performance envelope, things get real sketchy real fast.

Hope this helps!

The following users liked this post:
Loccusst (09-05-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 02:05 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
As an S model, you already have the "first" tune, Sport Mode. I had a NM on my S and decided to go with the JCW tune solo (NM for sale BTW). For me, it seems much better than the NM. The torque range feels wider and more controlled than just front wheel spin with the NM. The tune presses me into the sport seats 2-5 gears. Speed isn't everything. It is just one of many components.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:44 PM
drhow
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Loccusst
I'll check my Carbon later today when I get off of work to see if those screens are different. I went into green once on the highway on a very crappy road to try and get a softer ride but other than that I never go there. I am curious to get this car on a long haul on the highway and see if open exhaust gets me better gas milage.
It will get you better mpg. With steady hwy type driving, no pops, gurgles, and drone either. Slight louder note. Which I wonder if some of that is added with the silly BMW fake news sound piped in on the speakers.

Go green, w/pipes open on trips or puttering around. In green things like AC are cycled differently, plus chip settings for mpg. Even at 75-80mph. Going to Mini On The Mack last year, my wife and I (plus gear) avg 39mpg. Spurts over 40mpg. I also agree with others, in mid mode, with pipe open, better performance and mpg.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:48 PM
drhow
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EnjoyRC
Within the next couple weeks, I'm going to schedule the JCW Tuning Kit installation. I'm familiar with the improvements it makes over all. Increased HP, Exhaust selector, etc...

Questions:
Are there any visible changes that I'll see in the Control Display?
Meaning, the lbs torque, and hp displays on the Driving Experience display. Currently HP only displays up to 200. With the JCW Tuning Kit, it's possible to produce more.
Any other new display screens for JCW?

When I'm in GREEN and MID mode, will there be any changes? Sound, Performance, MPG usage, etc...
display does change. Shows a max range to 240hp (tongue goes up too). Although, reports (including myself) dealer will give you the JCW certification, but the driving experience gauges not changed. I queasiness if they did the tune, because of that. Got it back with driving experience change. I swear it is faster now. Likely figment of my imagination.

The following users liked this post:
EnjoyRC (09-05-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:40 AM
EnjoyRC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today is the day I'm dropping my MINI off at the MINI for the JCW Tuning Kit installation.
Quick question: Where to have MINI apply the JCW emblem on the tailgate during my JCW Tuning Kit upgrade?
The instructions indicate a much higher location than my CooperS logo on the right side. My first reaction is the vertical measurement should be equal to the measurement to the bottom of the CooperS emblem. Or do I leave it in the default location indicated in the instructions? What do you think?

Old 09-05-2018, 10:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Tell them what you want and they should do it, I like the old school match to match horizontal for the JCW Tuning kits on the R53 and R56 platform.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-05-2018, 10:04 AM
EnjoyRC
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Tell them what you want and they should do it, I like the old school match to match horizontal for the JCW Tuning kits on the R53 and R56 platform.
Cool, I didn't know if their hands were tied because they HAD to do it as printed in the instructions.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
I have seen them do special things for owners time to time. On that its a simple change.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Loccusst
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
My Carbon came with it on the Left side o the hatch, across from the S. It looks good that way in my opinion. You should also end up with a decal under the hood with the tune info on it (date and such) and a small decal on the engine cover.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Eric Carlson
Neutral
How much was the labor for the install?