F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 2017 Midnight Black JCW!

Old 03-31-2017, 06:46 PM
IamLili
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Midnight Black JCW!

Hey everyone!

So, I will be getting my third MINI in a row since 2010, and I went for a JCW this time around!

Although it's not entirely specked as I would have done it myself, I couldn't pass up on what I think was a good deal on an incoming Midnight Black JCW. It's currently crossing the pond!

With that said, I have a very important question for you all: Black or Silver Spoke rims?

It was ordered with the black rims, but I could swap them for the silver ones. I'm unsure about the all black look...

If anyone has good pictures of both combos or any views to share, please do!

Many thanks!

Save

Last edited by IamLili; 04-01-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:10 PM
Zazoh
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vote black on black, but this is my second MINI with black rims, so I'm partial. Actually this time around, I have the roulette with are half and half, but my preference is all black.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:56 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
My vote is black.

I ordered mine in Rebel Green (almost black) and was leaning to silver until I saw one. Black is definitely the way to go ... and I do not like black wheels in general. My wife, who is very conservative, surprisingly said black was the way to go.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 PM
camptown
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i say black.

Name:  DSC04377.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  390.3 KB

Old 03-31-2017, 09:28 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Get a set of silver for winter tires and you don't have to choose.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:10 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
Ha! I'm an expert on this subject! When I placed my JCW order in 2015 I went with the 17" silver track spoke wheels. Then, I started seeing some JCW's on Autotrader as I waited a LONG time for my 6MT JCW, and the 17" silver wheels just looked way too small to me. I decided to go with the optional 18" two-tone cup spoke wheels and it was the best decision I made for my all black JCW. The silver & black "larger" wheels look spectacular!

That said, if I was not going with the 18's I would definitely go with the 17" black track spokes on the black JCW.

I actually prefer silver wheels but the combination of the smaller 17's & the design of the track spokes just doesn't excite me at all.

Two years ago there were no aftermarket options for other wheel designs, but that isn't the case any longer. So, without opting for the 18's I believe you definitely made the correct choice!

Enjoy,

John

P.S. Forgot to mention, the silver track spokes look waaaay better on the MINI online configurator than in person on a "real car"! Ask me how I know? :-) BTDT!

Last edited by 02fanatic; 04-01-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:33 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I've always liked a silver wheel over black. Maybe due to my age. Anytime I see a car w/ black rims, reminds me of a car that had it's hubcaps stolen.

Not a chrome wheel either which looks a bit "over the top" to my eye. The matte/satin silver seems to strike the right look mating the tire to the car IMO.

That being said, I find I really like a black (or dark painted) rim with a machined face. They look outstanding and provides just enough flash to set the tires off from the rest of the car.

Kind of splits the difference between being a old "codger" and a young "whippersnapper".

Old 04-01-2017, 03:57 PM
IamLili
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Zazoh
I vote black on black, but this is my second MINI with black rims, so I'm partial. Actually this time around, I have the roulette with are half and half, but my preference is all black.
Thanks! Half and half would be perfect for me!

Originally Posted by rtowell
My vote is black.

I ordered mine in Rebel Green (almost black) and was leaning to silver until I saw one. Black is definitely the way to go ... and I do not like black wheels in general. My wife, who is very conservative, surprisingly said black was the way to go.
Happy to get your (and your wife's) insight! I'm just worried that all black looks a bit too "dangerous"?!
Save

Old 04-01-2017, 03:59 PM
IamLili
4th Gear
Originally Posted by camptown
i say black.

Beautiful Carbon Edition!
Save
Save

Old 04-01-2017, 04:01 PM
IamLili
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
Get a set of silver for winter tires and you don't have to choose.
Now that's very clever! Thing is I'm not sure I want to invest on a second set of rims as I'm leasing this car. But it would be a great solution.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:09 PM
IamLili
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
Ha! I'm an expert on this subject! When I placed my JCW order in 2015 I went with the 17" silver track spoke wheels. Then, I started seeing some JCW's on Autotrader as I waited a LONG time for my 6MT JCW, and the 17" silver wheels just looked way too small to me. I decided to go with the optional 18" two-tone cup spoke wheels and it was the best decision I made for my all black JCW. The silver & black "larger" wheels look spectacular!

That said, if I was not going with the 18's I would definitely go with the 17" black track spokes on the black JCW.

I actually prefer silver wheels but the combination of the smaller 17's & the design of the track spokes just doesn't excite me at all.

Two years ago there were no aftermarket options for other wheel designs, but that isn't the case any longer. So, without opting for the 18's I believe you definitely made the correct choice!

Enjoy,

John

P.S. Forgot to mention, the silver track spokes look waaaay better on the MINI online configurator than in person on a "real car"! Ask me how I know? :-) BTDT!
Thank you so much for your comments! You are indeed an expert! Hadn't thought of the color affecting the wheel size's perspective. Very good point.

I do think the silver spoke rims look good, online at least! You wouldn't happen to have a pic before you switched to the 18's by any chance?

Old 04-01-2017, 04:23 PM
IamLili
4th Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I've always liked a silver wheel over black. Maybe due to my age. Anytime I see a car w/ black rims, reminds me of a car that had it's hubcaps stolen.

Not a chrome wheel either which looks a bit "over the top" to my eye. The matte/satin silver seems to strike the right look mating the tire to the car IMO.

That being said, I find I really like a black (or dark painted) rim with a machined face. They look outstanding and provides just enough flash to set the tires off from the rest of the car.

Kind of splits the difference between being a old "codger" and a young "whippersnapper".
Yeah, me too. My current wheels are actually black, however my MCS is Eclipse Grey, not black, so there is some contrast there. A black-on-black combo seems a tad overpowering to me.

Haha! Great analogies! If I wasn't leasing this car, I would certainly look into more options, but I unfortunately have to stick to the MINI rims which are more on the whippersnapper side!
Save

Old 04-01-2017, 04:50 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
I think you've explained it for me, USA-RET! I have black factory rims on my Clubman and, while I like them well enough, every time I look at the car from a short distance I'm not lovin' the rims.

After reading your comment, it hit me, the wheels kinda do look like the hubcaps are missing and all that's there is the black wheel, like the kind of steel wheels that were on my Chevy, in 1967

But I like the ride on the 17" rims I have and it is a lease so no $$$ are going into aftermarket wheels for me this time around, unless a pothole creates an opportunity for me to reconsider.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:16 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by IamLili
Thank you so much for your comments! You are indeed an expert! Hadn't thought of the color affecting the wheel size's perspective. Very good point.

I do think the silver spoke rims look good, online at least! You wouldn't happen to have a pic before you switched to the 18's by any chance?
I only have my build graphic pic off the configurator with the silver track spokes, because I had a long wait before being assigned a production number I had time to change my build to the 18" cups! But, go on Autotrader and search F56 JCW and you will see plenty of real car photos with the 17" silver track spoke wheels. You will see the difference! After my production number was finally assigned my dealer got their first JCW in stock & my MA had me come down to check it out....it had the silver tracks on it (Moonwalk Grey) & once I saw them on a car I knew I had made the right decision switching! :-)

Of course, everyone has their own opinion & tastes. That's just my story.

You'll love the JCW!

Old 04-01-2017, 09:18 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts
Black. This is a ridiculous question.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 AM
IamLili
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 2017All4
I think you've explained it for me, USA-RET! I have black factory rims on my Clubman and, while I like them well enough, every time I look at the car from a short distance I'm not lovin' the rims.

After reading your comment, it hit me, the wheels kinda do look like the hubcaps are missing and all that's there is the black wheel, like the kind of steel wheels that were on my Chevy, in 1967

But I like the ride on the 17" rims I have and it is a lease so no $$$ are going into aftermarket wheels for me this time around, unless a pothole creates an opportunity for me to reconsider.
I'll take a good look at the silver spoke wheels my delearship has on another car before deciding (the swap wouldn't cost me anything other than the $200 fee that was included in the built of my JCW for the black rims). May end up keeping the black ones. MINIs silver rims always looked a bit plastic-ish to me.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 AM
IamLili
4th Gear
I only have my build graphic pic off the configurator with the silver track spokes, because I had a long wait before being assigned a production number I had time to change my build to the 18" cups! But, go on Autotrader and search F56 JCW and you will see plenty of real car photos with the 17" silver track spoke wheels. You will see the difference! After my production number was finally assigned my dealer got their first JCW in stock & my MA had me come down to check it out....it had the silver tracks on it (Moonwalk Grey) & once I saw them on a car I knew I had made the right decision switching! :-)

Of course, everyone has their own opinion & tastes. That's just my story.

You'll love the JCW!
Thanks again! I think I'm with ya...

Sure hope so!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 AM
IamLili
4th Gear
Originally Posted by J_L
Black. This is a ridiculous question.
Point taken.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:59 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I'll take a good look at the silver spoke wheels my delearship has on another car before deciding (the swap wouldn't cost me anything other than the $200 fee that was included in the built of my JCW for the black rims). May end up keeping the black ones. MINIs silver rims always looked a bit plastic-ish to me.
I ordered mine w/ the 17 Silver (Tentacles). They look fine, but opted for a set of aftermarket silver Enkei RPF1's for the weight savings.

Oftentimes wheels are chosen just for the looks, but if one is interested in performance, look at the weight of each wheel first and the the looks.

I swapped the stock wheels and run-flats for the aftermarket wheels w/ Conti Extreme DW's and save 8 lbs at each corner of my car (6lbs. per whell and 2lbs per tire). Eliminating the 32lbs of rotating unsprung weight yields me 10 add'l WHP and 11 lbs ft of wheel torque. Additionally it made the car more responsive and lively.

The stock wheels and tires will be installed back onto my car come trade time. The 17 inch Eneki's will likely go on the F56 JCW replacement w/ those stock wheels and tires going into storage.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:37 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Silver for sure. I've never been a fan of the whole blackout thing myself. I think the chrome looks great on Minis. The only thing I have blacked out are the factory blackout headlights, but I don't think you can get those on the F56 right? I like my black wheels but my car isn't black either. I had silver wheels on my 2007 R56 they were great looking.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:54 PM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Silver for sure. I've never been a fan of the whole blackout thing myself. I think the chrome looks great on Minis. The only thing I have blacked out are the factory blackout headlights, but I don't think you can get those on the F56 right? I like my black wheels but my car isn't black either. I had silver wheels on my 2007 R56 they were great looking.
I tend to agree with you, and my JCW is all black. The chrome trim is a nice contrast & especially the beltline trim is rememicent of classic cars....one reason it's there in the first place no doubt. I admit blacking out can look very nice when tastefully done, but I love the two-tone 18" cup spoke wheels with black since they really go with the black & chrome trim! My car is staying stock for the foreseeable future. The problem with blacking out is you don't know when to stop! lol!

Old 04-06-2017, 11:24 AM
IamLili
4th Gear
I ordered mine w/ the 17 Silver (Tentacles). They look fine, but opted for a set of aftermarket silver Enkei RPF1's for the weight savings.

Oftentimes wheels are chosen just for the looks, but if one is interested in performance, look at the weight of each wheel first and the the looks.

I swapped the stock wheels and run-flats for the aftermarket wheels w/ Conti Extreme DW's and save 8 lbs at each corner of my car (6lbs. per whell and 2lbs per tire). Eliminating the 32lbs of rotating unsprung weight yields me 10 add'l WHP and 11 lbs ft of wheel torque. Additionally it made the car more responsive and lively.

The stock wheels and tires will be installed back onto my car come trade time. The 17 inch Eneki's will likely go on the F56 JCW replacement w/ those stock wheels and tires going into storage.
I would consider going aftermarket if it wasn't a lease, but very good point on performance. Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM
IamLili
4th Gear
My current MCS is Eclipse Grey with black rims, and I think it looks good, but I'm liking the contrast of the silver rims with the black. However, I've always thought MINI silver wheels looked a bit plastic-ish. Is it just me?

I tend to agree with you, and my JCW is all black. The chrome trim is a nice contrast & especially the beltline trim is rememicent of classic cars....one reason it's there in the first place no doubt. I admit blacking out can look very nice when tastefully done, but I love the two-tone 18" cup spoke wheels with black since they really go with the black & chrome trim! My car is staying stock for the foreseeable future. The problem with blacking out is you don't know when to stop! lol!
I also like the chrome trim, and the two-tone 18" cup wheels are really nice. But not splurging on those since I'm leasing.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:39 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
My current MCS is Eclipse Grey with black rims, and I think it looks good, but I'm liking the contrast of the silver rims with the black. However, I've always thought MINI silver wheels looked a bit plastic-ish. Is it just me?

So Eclipse Grey was available on the Baywater as well as the JCW? Because I don't think it was available on the MCS. Great color. Was the Baywater a JCW model?

Old 04-07-2017, 07:21 AM
IamLili
4th Gear
So Eclipse Grey was available on the Baywater as well as the JCW? Because I don't think it was available on the MCS. Great color. Was the Baywater a JCW model?
Eclipse Grey was one of the three colors available on the Bayswater (the other two were Kite Blue and Midnight Black). Don't know if it was available on the R56 JCW, but think it was for the MCS.

No, my Bayswater isn't a JCW; it's a MCS (with Nav + H/K on top of the special edition package).

It's a neat color (you should know)!

Search this Thread