F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Does the F56 drip a/c condensation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:42 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Does the F56 drip a/c condensation?

I live in a very humid environment. I always see the water dripping from A/C use in my other cars. Harmless, no biggie. But I notice my F56 does not drip. Yet I have no bad smells or wet carpets. Where is the condensation going if not on my driveway?

Old 06-27-2016, 03:13 PM
ShadowImg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've only had the F57 for a couple days, but we picked it up on a ~90 deg humid day. It was pissing like a racehorse. Enough that I actually checked to make sure it wasn't overfilled with coolant.

I think the F56 is similar enough that it would do the same.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:15 PM
anotherminiinthegarage
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouu F56 hardtop drips on humid days in AZ

Old 06-27-2016, 03:27 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Hmm, I'll have to keep this on my list of things to think about. It's an April 2016 build date, with May delivery. Can't be clogged up yet...only 900 miles on it.

Thanks for replies.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:59 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
ALL air conditioners create condensation and it has to go somewhere.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 PM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spyked
I live in a very humid environment. I always see the water dripping from A/C use in my other cars. Harmless, no biggie. But I notice my F56 does not drip. Yet I have no bad smells or wet carpets. Where is the condensation going if not on my driveway?
On a road trip to Houston this last week, we noticed a very wet carpet in my wife's car...upon closer inspection, there was actually mold growing around the pedals underneath the carpet. We dropped the car off this morning at the dealer...it's clear the condensation is coming into footwell of the driver side. No diagnosis yet...

Old 06-28-2016, 08:38 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Sidewalker
On a road trip to Houston this last week, we noticed a very wet carpet in my wife's car...upon closer inspection, there was actually mold growing around the pedals underneath the carpet. We dropped the car off this morning at the dealer...it's clear the condensation is coming into footwell of the driver side. No diagnosis yet...
Had the same thing happen to me. Caught it early. Kinked drain line from the evaporator. Easy fix. Long delay was due to the having to pull the carpet and get it dried thoroughly. With mold in yours, I'd demand new carpets.

As to the AC water, I've yet to see any spots on the garage floor and being in SW Florida, we have humidity up the "Wasue".

My C7 drips AC condensation but I can hear it hitting the exhaust and it never gets to the floor. Mini makes no sound of water sizzling..so maybe it's going into the windshield washer reservoir .

Old 06-28-2016, 01:59 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
As to the AC water, I've yet to see any spots on the garage floor and being in SW Florida, we have humidity up the "Wasue".

My C7 drips AC condensation but I can hear it hitting the exhaust and it never gets to the floor. Mini makes no sound of water sizzling..so maybe it's going into the windshield washer reservoir .
Here in VA, we are downright swampy/soupy with humidity at times. Ran A/C all the way home from work and driveway is dry as the desert. No wet carpets, no bad smells, HVAC seems to work fine. I'm either going to get a major flood soon, or the drips are just evaporating somehow.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:30 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Or collecting on the belly pan.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:18 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Or collecting on the belly pan.
I never thought of that. Is the condensation drain directed into the belly pan by chance? That would make sense. The car is so small, I haven't gotten under it, but I'd imagine the belly pan must take up at least a 1/4 of the car's under carriage space.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 PM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Had the same thing happen to me. Caught it early. Kinked drain line from the evaporator. Easy fix. Long delay was due to the having to pull the carpet and get it dried thoroughly. With mold in yours, I'd demand new carpets.

Update from the service dept today, they were in the middle of diagnosing the issue. I asked for the carpet to be replaced, so hopefully they pitch the plan to Mini and get it approved. My advisor told me they will only do the work that Mini agrees to pay for, so if they don't replace the carpet entirely, I will push until they do. With mold, I don't want to deal with the issue a few months down the road.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:18 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
I never thought of that. Is the condensation drain directed into the belly pan by chance? That would make sense. The car is so small, I haven't gotten under it, but I'd imagine the belly pan must take up at least a 1/4 of the car's under carriage space.
For those who do notice AC condensation dripping onto the pavement, where do you see it? Driver's side front?

Old 07-01-2016, 10:04 AM
ShadowImg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, seems to drain away mostly to the driver's side, though seems to drip near center, just behind or at the rear edge of the front tire.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:38 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Its should on the drain that goes under the HVAC system on hot humid days you run the a/c allot.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_2038

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 07-02-2016, 09:55 AM
toyopet
4th Gear
Hmm, I'll have to keep this on my list of things to think about. It's an April 2016 build date, with May delivery. Can't be clogged up yet...only 900 miles on it.
I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't seen any condensation on the pavement yet. But when running the ac on my Sienna for the same amount of time, I see plenty of water dripping.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:56 PM
spyked
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by toyopet
I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't seen any condensation on the pavement yet. But when running the ac on my Sienna for the same amount of time, I see plenty of water dripping.
In the middle of a heatwave here, high humidity, swampy conditions. Completely dry under the car. The embarrassing thing is, what would I even "complain" about at the dealer? They'd ask "is your a/c working?" I'd say yes and that would be that. Until the carpets are wet and moldy like others on here. Frustrating.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
There is a drainage channel that runs down from it but it also runs right next to the turbocharger and the exhaust manifolds so it is really hot right in that area. Most people don't see it drip because of that. If you have the car sitting in a spot with the MAX A/C on it may get a little bit, but for the most part you're fine.

Just as a side note to the newer owners, there was a bulletin MINI put out for a bad smell coming from the A/C system, if this happens they need to disinfect the air box and replace the micro filter. Usually they will add a couple beads of hot glue to make the filter stand taller inside the box, I am not sure if they have a reworked box yet.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:59 PM
perryinva
3rd Gear
New (5/16 build) F54 here, and there is a small puddle under it in the garage. (I have that polyurethane diamond plate roll down flooring) I think most really may evaporate on the way though, because my R55, with fairly weak AC would leave (still does) a small river of condensate on the same spot. The F54 cools amazingly well, far, far better than the R55 ever did, but leaves less than a tenth as much. Not sure why otherwise.