F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Music import to Entertainment system

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 06:12 AM
Kanf
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Music import to Entertainment system

Hi All,

I have some music on a thumb drive (1100 songs or so) that I want to import into the Entertainment system. Anyone happen to know if its better to import them as just one big file/folder or leave the songs in the individual folders for each artist? e.g. leave all of INXS songs in their folder and Creed songs in their folder etc and import it that way?

I am still trying to get used to using the Entertainment system. It seems to work ok if I just plug the usb into the usb port in the car as is. It seems to find artist if I do a search but wasnt sure if it mattered or worked better one way or the other.

I still have to rtfm and figure out how to import songs

Thanks,

Old 06-30-2016, 01:12 AM
Kanf
1st Gear
Anyone able to help?

Thanks

Old 06-30-2016, 05:54 AM
clevelandrum
2nd Gear
Good question, I wasn't able to import my song collection. Would like to though...

Old 06-30-2016, 09:17 AM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I did an import I simply copied the files from my computer to the flash drive and then chose to import on the Mini. It put them in appropriate album, artist and song listings. I did individual songs, not folders.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kanf
Anyone able to help?

Thanks
You can Import if you have the Connected XL System with the navigation. You go to Media and select Music Collection and then select Option and then Import from USB.

Straight song files work the best because it reads the tags.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Kanf
1st Gear
Hi Camyman and TX1911fan, thanks for replying but I am not sure what you mean by 'straight song files' I have all my music on the thumb drive now, sorted in folders by Artist. e.g. all of The Eagles songs are in the Eagles folder and Cars in the Cars folder etc.

Should I just upload them that way they are now or just make one single big folder with ALL the songs in it and upload it that way?

Does that make sense? I am not sure I am explaining it correctly.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kanf
Hi Camyman and TX1911fan, thanks for replying but I am not sure what you mean by 'straight song files' I have all my music on the thumb drive now, sorted in folders by Artist. e.g. all of The Eagles songs are in the Eagles folder and Cars in the Cars folder etc.

Should I just upload them that way they are now or just make one single big folder with ALL the songs in it and upload it that way?

Does that make sense? I am not sure I am explaining it correctly.
OH! Sorry for the confusion. Basically do not put anything into folders at all and just have them directly on the thumb drive itself. the MP3 tags are what the car looks for to sort it once it is uploaded onto the hard drive in the car

Old 07-09-2016, 12:58 PM
1st JCW
2nd Gear
Do you know the capacity in gigabytes you can import? Can you also import from a iPod or is that a format not accepted?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Camyman
You can Import if you have the Connected XL System with the navigation. You go to Media and select Music Collection and then select Option and then Import from USB.

Straight song files work the best because it reads the tags.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:21 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 1st JCW
Do you know the capacity in gigabytes you can import? Can you also import from a iPod or is that a format not accepted?

Thanks
20GB are available for storage.

You cannot import from an iDevice as Apple does not allow a mass storage mode making iTunes the only way to get music on/off the device. You should be able to drag the songs from iTunes to a flash drive though for import. The MINI will play all sorts of formats (MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC (XL only)), but it cannot play Apple or Windows Lossless or any copy protected songs (older iTunes purchased songs).

Old 07-12-2016, 11:17 AM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero

You cannot import from an iDevice as Apple does not allow a mass storage mode making iTunes the only way to get music on/off the device. You should be able to drag the songs from iTunes to a flash drive though for import. The MINI will play all sorts of formats (MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC (XL only)), but it cannot play Apple or Windows Lossless or any copy protected songs (older iTunes purchased songs).

^^This is how I did it. Just dragged a song from iTunes on my computer to the flash drive. Then plugged the flash drive in, chose import and it put them in all the correct folders, etc.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:49 PM
1st JCW
2nd Gear
Thank you. I still have to figure out the process. I was looking at the various settings and such on the screen and didn't see the one for 'import music'. If someone can point that out for me, I'll be good to go.
Originally Posted by siriuszero

Old 07-21-2016, 03:36 PM
Camyman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 1st JCW
Thank you. I still have to figure out the process. I was looking at the various settings and such on the screen and didn't see the one for 'import music'. If someone can point that out for me, I'll be good to go.
Here is a step by step for you.

1) Put songs onto USB Thumbdrive (As seen below)

Then go out to your MINI. Make sure to greet him/her by name. Hello Reggie!

After proper greetings follow the steps in the following video

Music Import MINI Clubman 2016 - YouTube
"> Music Import MINI Clubman 2016 - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Any questions please let me know!!

~Camyman

Last edited by Camyman; 07-21-2016 at 03:42 PM.