F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Brand New Leftover 2015 Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 09:50 PM
puggy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand New Leftover 2015 Cooper S

I took delivery of a 2015 Electric Blue Cooper S November 6. I bid farewell to a problematic 2011 Cooper and have had a wonderful 2006 Cooper S.

Questions, questions!

I hope my first post is OK here and then I'll introduce myself elsewhere in the appropriate thread.

Not a ton of questions but some. I guess I'll get some answers Monday at my MINI dealer (MOA).

It's a Cooper S with some nice features-not all I would love but nearly and its great to get back in an S again!

***First off, the inside door handles open with one pull when , in fact I have always known MINIs to require 2 pulls to open a door as a safety measure. Is this something that the dealer needs to program since I can't find it in settings on the console?

***What are Driveway lights? it's included and not to be confused with Side Parking Lights.

***The camera behind the standard manual rearview mirror (thankfully not the horizontal day/night **** version-that killed my arthritic hands) is used for just auto turn on lights when dark for my car. I seem to think the camera does more with more advanced packages.

I love this car and am anxious to know everything!

I appreciate the fit, finish, the engine, the comfort. the COLOR... I got a great deal trading in my red 2011 (just plunked down nearly $1200 on repairs a few days before I got this car. My warranty ended August fr the 2011

Anyway, Im most curious about the inside door handles. Thats very much.

My new baby. I promise to wash it more than once a year.

Last edited by puggy; 11-14-2015 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I don't have answers, only a welcome. I've got a 2011 CM, so not familiar with these modern 2015's.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:09 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
The R56 only required two pulls if the door was locked. The first pull unlocked the door and the second opened the door. Don't know if you can program the F for that.
Can't help you with the rest. I'm still trying to master my center display.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:47 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They made changes to the locks and the position of the switches and controls to do better in the JD Power initial quality rankings. For good or bad, they made them more like most other cars,

Driveway lights could mean puddle lights, the ones on the underside of the door, or pathway lighting, which means the headlights stay on for a few seconds after you leave the car. It's hard to say what that is. Is there a code associated with it?

The camera does a bunch of things depending on your packages, auto wipers, auto headlights, reading speed limit signs, watching for pedestrians.

You can get a pdf manual. http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...r-manuals.html
You can get an app for your iPhone. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mini...902036212?mt=8
http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...bile-apps.html
You can put your VIN in a BMW VIN decoder to verify what equipment you have.

Last edited by hammerhands; 11-15-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:12 AM
puggy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
The R56 only required two pulls if the door was locked. The first pull unlocked the door and the second opened the door. Don't know if you can program the F for that.
Can't help you with the rest. I'm still trying to master my center display.
Thanks for the reply. Even after locking the doors, they open with one pull-not like my 11 or 06.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:18 AM
vetsvette
Afraid it's something you're going to have to learn to live with, just like the window switches in the doors. When I had my R56 I heard more people complain about the double pull to open the door than liked it. The only time it came into play in my '07 was when I had it programed to lock the door automatically when I drove away. I changed the programming so it didn't lock automatically because I was afraid my Grandson would rip the handle off trying to open it on the first pull. AFAIK this option isn't available on the Gen 3 cars.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:34 AM
puggy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Afraid it's something you're going to have to learn to live with, just like the window switches in the doors. When I had my R56 I heard more people complain about the double pull to open the door than liked it. The only time it came into play in my '07 was when I had it programed to lock the door automatically when I drove away. I changed the programming so it didn't lock automatically because I was afraid my Grandson would rip the handle off trying to open it on the first pull. AFAIK this option isn't available on the Gen 3 cars.
I think you misunderstood? Locking the doors (or auto locking), a passenger or I can open the doors with only a single pull. It SHOULD take two pulls.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:59 AM
vetsvette
I thought I explained it pretty clearly. On the Gen 2 cars, the default setting is one pull to open the door... UNLESS the door is locked. In which case, the first pull unlocks the door and the second pull opens the door.

On the Gen 3 cars, you don't have the feature. i.e. one pull opens the door, Period.
Hence, my statement. "Afraid it's something you're going to have to learn to live with."

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. In which case I'm sure someone else will chime in and correct me. IIRC I read something about this in a thread titled something like, "Things I didn't know/learned about my F56".

Old 11-15-2015, 07:03 AM
puggy
1st Gear
On the Gen 3 cars, you don't have the feature. i.e. one pull opens the door, Period.
Hence, my statement. "Afraid it's something you're going to have to learn to live with."
I'm sorry maybe it's me. On my new F56 2015 Cooper S, only 1 pull is needed even with the doors locked. OK! I think I understand (maybe). The doors open with one pull even if locked. That's scary if you have kids. I have pugs so they don't do that...

Old 11-15-2015, 07:25 AM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
The camera also does auto wipers if you have them. Still trying to figure out if I have them or not.
Yes, one pull of the door handle.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:27 AM
puggy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Blues Trucker
The camera also does auto wipers if you have them. Still trying to figure out if I have them or not.
Yes, one pull of the door handle.

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-15-2015, 04:11 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by puggy
***First off, the inside door handles open with one pull when , in fact I have always known MINIs to require 2 pulls to open a door as a safety measure. Is this something that the dealer needs to program since I can't find it in settings on the console?

Yep, one pull on the F56 no matter what. No way to change. Like hammerhands mentioned, it had to do with complaints from customers on the older MINIs. They and/or their passengers couldn't figure out how the whole double pull thing worked....

***What are Driveway lights? it's included and not to be confused with Side Parking Lights.

I assume you mean pathway lights? Pathway lights will keep the headlights on for a set time after you get out of the car. Useful if you're parking in a dark driveway or parking lot. You can trigger them by pressing the turn signal stalk forward (like you're turning on your brights) when exiting the car, AFTER the car has been turned off. The default duration is 40s, but you can configure it how you like under the SETTINGS --> LIGHTING menu in your headunit.

***The camera behind the standard manual rearview mirror (thankfully not the horizontal day/night **** version-that killed my arthritic hands) is used for just auto turn on lights when dark for my car. I seem to think the camera does more with more advanced packages.

Doesn't look like you have a camera... You will have auto lights and wipers though. The lights work off of a light sensor and will turn your headlights on automatically when it gets dark enough. Your headlight **** should be all the way to the left for auto mode. The wipers use an infrared sensor behind the rearview mirror to detect how much rain is falling and set the speed accordingly. Use the button on the end of the wiper stalk to turn them on.
See answers above

Old 11-15-2015, 06:31 PM
puggy
1st Gear
siriuszero,

Your answers were great!

You were very helpful!!!!

Much appreciation!

Old 11-15-2015, 06:38 PM
puggy
1st Gear
siriuszero, wow your car is LOADED!!! I would love the HUD and a few other doodads but I'm grateful I could squeeze what I did into my budget!

Old 11-16-2015, 01:14 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
siriuszero,

Your answers were great!

You were very helpful!!!!

Much appreciation!
no problem!

siriuszero, wow your car is LOADED!!! I would love the HUD and a few other doodads but I'm grateful I could squeeze what I did into my budget!
Thanks! The only thing I didn't get was the Active Driver Assist, which is the camera system that does do active cruise control, collision detection, speed limit detection, auto high beams, etc. From what I've heard from other people that have it, I don't think I miss it. I wouldn't do the Park Assist again. I rarely use it. The auto parallel parking is nice, but I live in Seattle so I usually do a better job of it.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:50 PM
ToyCar
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, now that you have that sorted out, welcome! Beautiful car. I now have cylinder envy.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:21 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Glad your questions were answered and now be sure to enjoy! Great color and welcome to NAM.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-16-2015, 02:22 PM
puggy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
no problem!

Thanks! The only thing I didn't get was the Active Driver Assist, which is the camera system that does do active cruise control, collision detection, speed limit detection, auto high beams, etc. From what I've heard from other people that have it, I don't think I miss it. I wouldn't do the Park Assist again. I rarely use it. The auto parallel parking is nice, but I live in Seattle so I usually do a better job of it.
I'd be scared of curbing the wheels with Park Assist. My Electric Blue was a left-over purchased just a week or so ago. I got $1700 off as a rebate from MINI and $1000 off from my MINI dealer. Non-S leftovers only got the $1000 off. I couldn't resist; I just payed out almost $1200 on out of warranty repairs two days before I decided to take the plunge. This time with an extended warranty. My 2006 S was basically problem-free. Not so with the 2011 Cooper.

I'm really happy with my new MINI! Thanks, again.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:26 PM
puggy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ToyCar
Well, now that you have that sorted out, welcome! Beautiful car. I now have cylinder envy.
Thanks!
I had a 2011 regular Cooper and prior to that an 06 S. I love the S, not so much the cost of run-flats. With my 06, I had to buy an extra set of wheels and winter tires that my local BMW/MINI stored and swapped out for me seasonally (for a charge). I live in an apartment so don't have the luxury of a garage. I'm hoping these M & S run-flats work better in snow....I love my new Blue!

Old 11-16-2015, 02:28 PM
puggy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Glad your questions were answered and now be sure to enjoy! Great color and welcome to NAM.

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2015, 03:40 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I'd be scared of curbing the wheels with Park Assist.
You know, it does a pretty decent job of parking it, but it just takes longer to do everything. I'm used to city parking so I don't have the patience for it when I see a spot I know I can fit in, but the Park Assist says I can't and I have a line of cars behind me.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:45 PM
puggy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
You know, it does a pretty decent job of parking it, but it just takes longer to do everything. I'm used to city parking so I don't have the patience for it when I see a spot I know I can fit in, but the Park Assist says I can't and I have a line of cars behind me.
I'm horrible at parallel parking even though Ive done it 50 plus years. I have to aim my outside mirrors down to avoid a curb collision, open the door, look at the curb, etc etc...

Old 11-16-2015, 05:42 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
I'm horrible at parallel parking even though Ive done it 50 plus years. I have to aim my outside mirrors down to avoid a curb collision, open the door, look at the curb, etc etc...
LOL. Living/working in the city, it's definitely something I was forced to practice and my old car, an Acura TL paid the price for my tutelage - 4 wheels curb rashed to hell!

Even now though, having the auto dip down mirrors is handy though.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I rarely have to parallel park anymore, I failed my first drivers license test because I did it too fast according to the examiner and was not cautious enough. At that time I could have done it blindfolded as the space was huge.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:56 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I love this car and am anxious to know everything!
White Roof Radio probably isn't to everyone's taste, but it has a little bit of information and a few laughs every week, and the associated website has a lot of well organized information. That's their well informed opinion, "chasing the JD Power rankings."

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Brand New Leftover 2015 Cooper S