F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 2016 F55 Fog Light question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:13 AM
phil_deez
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 F55 Fog Light question

Just took delivery of a 2016 BRG 4 Dr Justa and it is a beauty. The little car can pack a punch. I can't wait til the break in period is over to really let her loose.

Anyways, I regret not getting the LED fog lights to go with the LED headlights. Since it's my wife DD, couldn't really convince her to go that route. However, the fog lights are there but there is no switch to activate them, from what I've seen, it looks like they are just "always on."

Questions, can I (or the dealer) upgrade the fog lights to LEDs? and is there a way to control the fog lights? The headlamp control area has a black space where the front and rear fog light buttons should go.

I'm assuming the center "rear fog light" is just a reflector as well.

Thank for the help.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:18 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
One can upgrade the regular fog lights on the R56 to LED foglights at the dealership for about $800 if my memory serves me correctly. I imagine you can do the same on the F56.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:03 AM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by phil_deez
Just took delivery of a 2016 BRG 4 Dr Justa and it is a beauty. The little car can pack a punch. I can't wait til the break in period is over to really let her loose.

Anyways, I regret not getting the LED fog lights to go with the LED headlights. Since it's my wife DD, couldn't really convince her to go that route. However, the fog lights are there but there is no switch to activate them, from what I've seen, it looks like they are just "always on."

Questions, can I (or the dealer) upgrade the fog lights to LEDs? and is there a way to control the fog lights? The headlamp control area has a black space where the front and rear fog light buttons should go.

I'm assuming the center "rear fog light" is just a reflector as well.

Thank for the help.
What model F55 do you have, fogs are not standard unless you get a S. You should have a button(s) to the left of the rotoriy dial. Top button is for front fogs and rear fogs are the bottom button. If yours are blank then you do not have that option and I am not sure you can retro fit them. The top part of the lights, is a driving/parking light. Only the bottom half is the fog.

Here is the switch for the lights:

Attached Thumbnails 2016 F55 Fog Light question-_57.jpg  
Old 10-13-2015, 11:04 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Your "fog lights" now aren't really fog lights. There's a single bulb there for the daytime running lamps, but there's no other bulb in there. It's just blank space.

Your dealer can probably retrofit them, but I don't think there's an official retrofit kit so cost will vary. They would replace your current assembly with the LED fog lights, add the buttons and they will also have to reprogram.

The rear fogs, however, supposedly the bulb and everything is right there and you would just need the fog light button module and a reprogram to add it. I have yet to see someone successfully do this though.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Peking Duck
Neutral
About those rear fog lights. I have two red lenses with bulbs in my 'S' and the dealer said all I would need is the control module and to have some programming done. However the dealer said rear fogs are illegal in the state and they could not activate them. I did some research and they are legal in my state.

I called another dealer and they said those lenses are just reflectors. I think they are wrong.

I posted a topic about rear fog lights and didn't it really go anywhere.

So the real questions is, Does MINI build all there cars with lenses and wiring except the control module?

Old 10-18-2015, 01:33 PM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Peking Duck
About those rear fog lights. I have two red lenses with bulbs in my 'S' and the dealer said all I would need is the control module and to have some programming done. However the dealer said rear fogs are illegal in the state and they could not activate them. I did some research and they are legal in my state.

I called another dealer and they said those lenses are just reflectors. I think they are wrong.

I posted a topic about rear fog lights and didn't it really go anywhere.

So the real questions is, Does MINI build all there cars with lenses and wiring except the control module?
I am going to give it a try to get the rear fog lights working. I got a laptop with the coding software, waiting on a cable and the updated light switch. Will document my results for all to see. The only thing I need to check is to make sure I have the wiring hooked up in the rear bumper, will do that later this week.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Peking Duck
Neutral
Good luck to you and I hope it works. We will be waiting for the results.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:30 AM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
I had some time today on my lunch break, got a chance to dig around in the rear bumper. I was able to reach up and pull out the lights from both sides, I have wiring and bulbs in each light. So that is good.

There are 4 screws on the Left side, with those off you can pull down the cover and get your hand behind the muffler heat shield.

On the right hand side there are only 3, but this one is harder to get too as the tool holder from the trunk comes down and it is hard to work your arm around. Expect a few scratches unless you have small arms.

The screws are 8mm so a socket or regular wrench will work just fine.

Now I need to get the updated switch panel and do the programming. I will do a full write up when I am done. For those of you looking to try this, my build date is 08/14, so I can't talk about those built after, but most likely you have the lights (YMMV). And the link to the programing thread should give you a good start as well, page 8 talks about one other person doing the rear fogs.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ramming-8.html

The first page should have the links for how to set up the coding.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:00 AM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
I ordered the new switch panel, going to take some time as it is coming from Germany, so I should have it in about 2 weeks. The OBD cable should be in by the end of the week, so I can practice getting things setup.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
The rear fogs are pre wired. You have to get the correct main switch ( with the selected options ) and then have them flashed by MINI for the rear fog lights.

For the front fogs , MINI does not have a factory retrofit yet like the R56-R61 version. Your dealer might retrofit the F55 front LEDs but its might be $$$$.

You have a positions lights without the normal fog lights ?

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Mcamino
Neutral
Originally Posted by LordWinslow
I ordered the new switch panel, going to take some time as it is coming from Germany, so I should have it in about 2 weeks. The OBD cable should be in by the end of the week, so I can practice getting things setup.
Hi i was reading your post and just want to know if you finish the instalation of the new switch

Old 08-17-2016, 01:12 PM
arunka007
1st Gear
I just posted this question today and then found this post. I am in the same boat as you are. I have the same F55 model with LED Headlights and Halogen front parking lights (those are not fog lights). I replaced the halogen bulbs with LEDs and it looks perfect now, but there is a warning on the dash because the car thinks there is something wrong with the new bulb. This is probably because the LED consumes much less power than the halogen and car thinks the bulb is missing. I am searching for the correct LED with built-in resistor to mimic the halogen bulb. Will post here if I find something.

Here's my post if you want to see the pics. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ng-lights.html

Old 08-17-2016, 02:49 PM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
As for the rear fog lights...... There is a long thread on here dealing with the subject and listing the part numbers for the correct switch assembly. I replaced the switch on my car and had Helix do some custom programming on the car at MOTD. The rear fogs worked like a champ, but unfortunately when I had the JCW BBK installed the following week I lost all the custom programming. The software had to be updated when fitting the BBK and when you do this it resets all programming. I'm waiting for CarlyforBMW to come out with the F series programming now. Supposed to be any day now.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:44 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by arunka007
I am searching for the correct LED with built-in resistor to mimic the halogen bulb. Will post here if I find something.
Look for CANBUS LEDs as they have the resistors built in, or you can wire your own resistors in.

Alternatively, you can use ESYS to essentially tell the computer not to check the bulbs anymore, eliminating bulb out warnings or "hyper-flashing". Do a search for "coding" to read up on it, if you're interested. You have to be somewhat computer savvy, but there are so many great guides out, if you are good at following directions, it's relatively easy. Definitely one of the better skills to learn as you can apply it for lots of different tweaks to the behavior of the car.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:50 PM
arunka007
1st Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
Look for CANBUS LEDs as they have the resistors built in, or you can wire your own resistors in.

Alternatively, you can use ESYS to essentially tell the computer not to check the bulbs anymore, eliminating bulb out warnings or "hyper-flashing". Do a search for "coding" to read up on it, if you're interested. You have to be somewhat computer savvy, but there are so many great guides out, if you are good at following directions, it's relatively easy. Definitely one of the better skills to learn as you can apply it for lots of different tweaks to the behavior of the car.
I have ordered a pair of Canbus LEDs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which will arrive early next week. From what I've read so far, these things are a hit or miss. Will test mine next week and report back here.

Meanwhile, are you famiiar with any CANBUS LEDs which you know WILL work? If so, please share the links.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:41 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by arunka007
I have ordered a pair of Canbus LEDs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which will arrive early next week. From what I've read so far, these things are a hit or miss. Will test mine next week and report back here.

Meanwhile, are you famiiar with any CANBUS LEDs which you know WILL work? If so, please share the links.
I've used the iJDM ones on mine, though they weren't CANBUS. One set needed to be replaced right away due to a defect, but it was an easy process. I personally just coded the bulb checks out which frees me up to use any bulbs I want.

Usually if you're buying cheap ones (

Old 10-10-2016, 01:48 AM
kashtan
Neutral
Took an alternative route to a new $150 switch and programming - wired the rear fogs to tail lights. I had to replace the original incandescent bulb with basic 921 LED, because rear fogs are blinding otherwise and generally illegal unless you're driving in heavy fog/rain/snow.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:18 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
I've used the iJDM ones on mine, though they weren't CANBUS. One set needed to be replaced right away due to a defect, but it was an easy process. I personally just coded the bulb checks out which frees me up to use any bulbs I want.

Usually if you're buying cheap ones (
What tool are you using for coding changes? I didn't think there were any cables/software that worked for the F55/F56's yet.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:10 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by trentiles
What tool are you using for coding changes? I didn't think there were any cables/software that worked for the F55/F56's yet.
ESYS is the software and the cable is called an ENET cable that's Ethernet on one end and USB on the other. Software is free and the cable runs about $25 most places. It's the same setup BMWs have used for years. Check out www.bmwesys.com/guides for a primer.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:59 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
ESYS is the software and the cable is called an ENET cable that's Ethernet on one end and USB on the other. Software is free and the cable runs about $25 most places. It's the same setup BMWs have used for years. Check out www.bmwesys.com/guides for a primer.
Awesome thanks!

Old 10-13-2016, 03:26 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Meant ethernet on one end and OBDII on the other....oops...