F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 F56 Tuning Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Phantogram
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F56 Tuning Options

Hey guys! I have a 2015 Cooper S F56, and I'm looking into the various options of tuning modules. My goal is to eventually get the JCW full Tuning Kit, but while I save for that, I'd like to have a bit of fun in the mean time I've been looking into the NM Tuning module, the BurgerTuning Beta tuning module. What are you guys using? What do you have experience with? Taking recommendations and advice on any and all options.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:16 PM
mattcarberry
1st Gear
F56 Tuning Options

I second this

Old 08-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the JCW Tuning kit, and the NM Power module on top of it. WOW. That's all I can say.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:47 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoof
I have the JCW Tuning kit, and the NM Power module on top of it. WOW. That's all I can say.
Is your JCW tuning kit installed on a Cooper S or do you have a factory JCW?

Old 08-02-2015, 08:47 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have BMS Stage 1. Running +4psi with all other setting at default. RON 95 gas which is AKI 91 equivalent. 2000 km so far without any problem.

My only wish would be a sturdier waterproof casing like the NM box.
Also I've changed the routing of the cable to the battery box. I first followed the instruction routing the cable entering the front side of the battery box but that tend to crush the wire and the loom. Now my wire enters from the right side of the battery box, no wire crushed.

BMS is way more adjustable but more complicated with USB cable, FF cable, etc. BMS default boost is +3 psi.

NM has good plug and play with easier low and high boost switch. Case is waterproof and looks better so you could mount it on top of the battery box.

I think it boils down on whether you want to do ethanol mixing, changing around boost settings, etc. Go with BMS if you want to do all that.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:03 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've already sold and installed the JCW tuning kit and it really is pretty good, and the exhaust sounds awesome.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/john-co...-cooper-s.html

We also sell the NM module, but our F56 tune module as it plugs into all the sensors and throttle body to modify the mapping and throttle response and has been reliable.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-f56...ng-module.html

We will have hard tuning available later.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 AM
Phantogram
1st Gear
Nice!! I definitely want the JCW tuning kit, just gotta save my pennies first.

So you've been liking the NM module? Any issues with it?

Originally Posted by BadakVT
I have BMS Stage 1. Running +4psi with all other setting at default. RON 95 gas which is AKI 91 equivalent. 2000 km so far without any problem.

My only wish would be a sturdier waterproof casing like the NM box.
Also I've changed the routing of the cable to the battery box. I first followed the instruction routing the cable entering the front side of the battery box but that tend to crush the wire and the loom. Now my wire enters from the right side of the battery box, no wire crushed.

BMS is way more adjustable but more complicated with USB cable, FF cable, etc. BMS default boost is +3 psi.

NM has good plug and play with easier low and high boost switch. Case is waterproof and looks better so you could mount it on top of the battery box.

I think it boils down on whether you want to do ethanol mixing, changing around boost settings, etc. Go with BMS if you want to do all that.

Yeah, I've pretty much been reading that the BurgerTuning and the NM are pretty equivalent, the NM is just a lot cleaner. From what I'm gathering, it seems both are pretty equal in psi gain? I can only find a very minimal amount of feedback on both, here and there, but haven't found a substantial review on either yet. I can run about 93 octane here, so I'm guessing I should get around a +4 psi or so. I'm not looking for anything too complicated, but just some added psi and torque until I can get my hands on the JCW.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:19 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had the Burger for a long time now , few months ago adjusted it to +5psi, goes like stink. The JCW running kit does sound good but adds almost no bhp but does give alot more pop and burble. Too much imo for some sound.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:18 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F56 Tuning Options

I'd be more of a plug and play guy as I'm too afraid of accidentally ruining a pre existing setting or something unusual. I've only heard great things about the burger system but personally I've been seriously considering the nm module. This waterproof housing only makes the nm module more attractive to me.

I wonder what how they both compare out of the box (no additional fine tuning the bms).

Old 08-04-2015, 04:43 PM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by honderpilot
I'd be more of a plug and play guy as I'm too afraid of accidentally ruining a pre existing setting or something unusual. I've only heard great things about the burger system but personally I've been seriously considering the nm module. This waterproof housing only makes the nm module more attractive to me.

I wonder what how they both compare out of the box (no additional fine tuning the bms).
Pretty much the same as far as gains if you run the NM at highest setting.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:26 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Burger Stage 1 default map is +3 psi (confirmed by connecting to PC)

If I'm not mistaken,
NM Low Setting is +3 psi and High setting is +5 psi.

If you get Burger, you'll be at +3 psi all the time unless you get the USB cable, connect to your PC and change the setting. Setting is more adjustable since you can do +3.5, +4, some people even tried +7.

With the NM box you get +3 or +5 by an easy physical switch on the box.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:35 PM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Burger Stage 1 default map is +3 psi (confirmed by connecting to PC)

If I'm not mistaken,
NM Low Setting is +3 psi and High setting is +5 psi.

If you get Burger, you'll be at +3 psi all the time unless you get the USB cable, connect to your PC and change the setting. Setting is more adjustable since you can do +3.5, +4, some people even tried +7.

With the NM box you get +3 or +5 by an easy physical switch on the box.
NM's top is +44bhp with 100octane so can't be +5 and Burger is 3.5 not 3

Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM
mct
5th Gear
If you have the JCW tuning kit installed on an F56 S, how safe is the NM module?

Old 08-04-2015, 06:27 PM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jamesdean
NM's top is +44bhp with 100octane so can't be +5 and Burger is 3.5 not 3
All NM dyno numbers were done on AKI 91 fuel, please check their dyno sheet. Also please check their install pdf for clearly stated boost addition on low and high level.

My BMS stage 1 with latest firmware hex file from N54tech was definitely at +3psi default at map 1. Now running Map 3 @+4psi (user adjusted). You might have a different firmware or different setting from factory.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:28 PM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mct
If you have the JCW tuning kit installed on an F56 S, how safe is the NM module?
Have not read anyone doing it but would assume it would be fine.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:38 PM
knecht
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F56 Tuning Options

For those concerned with the Burger not being weatherproof they appear to make an enclosure for the Stage 1.

http://burgertuning.com/JB4_billet_a...enclosure.html

Old 08-04-2015, 06:51 PM
jamesdean
4th Gear
All NM dyno numbers were done on AKI 91 fuel, please check their dyno sheet. Also please check their install pdf for clearly stated boost addition on low and high level.

My BMS stage 1 with latest firmware hex file from N54tech was definitely at +3psi default at map 1. Now running Map 3 @+4psi (user adjusted). You might have a different firmware or different setting from factory.
NM +44 is stated at 100oct...mine was 3.5 from Burger as was the other two I have seen but mines currently at +5. Not sure if they changed the firmware since I got mine and not like .5 makes much of a difference but the +5 does

Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mct
Is your JCW tuning kit installed on a Cooper S or do you have a factory JCW?
S w/ JCW Tuning Kit

Old 08-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Phantogram
So you've been liking the NM module? Any issues with it?
None whatsoever. I'm running it on the low setting, though, for personal reasons. The crappy OEM tires have a hard time hooking up to the added power. You're pretty much spinning tires through 1st gear under hard throttle, chirping/screeching tires into second gear. My 18" wheels and Sticky Michelin PSS tires should help to get the power down, and I'll eventually switch it to high to see the difference.

Originally Posted by mct
As per NM, it just adds additional power on top of the JCW tune, and will not cause any problems. No issues at all. I've been running it for a few hundred miles now, and so far so good!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:16 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
F56 Tuning Options

So, Shoof, you do notice an increase in power with the nm unit?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:17 PM
mct
5th Gear
I noticed that the NM module's high setting requires 100+ octane. I don't suppose Shell V-Power Nitro+ fuel would be enough to run it in the high setting?

Last edited by mct; 08-04-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 PM
honderpilot
5th Gear
F56 Tuning Options

Some people are saying that it's ok to run for a little but anything equivalent of a track day (long periods of hard diving) would result in some engine knocking. There are people who dd 100 on 93 and to my knowledge no issues? I would call jerry honestly and ask. I'm debating it.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:38 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Originally Posted by honderpilot
Some people are saying that it's ok to run for a little but anything equivalent of a track day (long periods of hard diving) would result in some engine knocking. There are people who dd 100 on 93 and to my knowledge no issues? I would call jerry honestly and ask. I'm debating it.
No one knows the long term effects bit these really are pretty basic. My guess is they hit 44bhp using 100oct so 91-93 just gives less bhp but its only a guess.Would be good to know if the NM settings change more than the boost.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:38 PM
Phantogram
1st Gear
None whatsoever. I'm running it on the low setting, though, for personal reasons. The crappy OEM tires have a hard time hooking up to the added power. You're pretty much spinning tires through 1st gear under hard throttle, chirping/screeching tires into second gear. My 18" wheels and Sticky Michelin PSS tires should help to get the power down, and I'll eventually switch it to high to see the difference.
I would run mine in the low setting as well, if I end up going with NM. We can only run 93 octane here, and I don't want to screw my engine up or risk it in any way by driving around with it on the high setting (for 100 octane fuel). Do you still notice a considerable pick up even on just the low setting?

Now, I've done some other thread searching and have come across at least 3 instances of people having the Burger Stage 1, and then their car going into limp mode. What I'm trying to understand, is that because the BMS is an unreliable or faulty unit? Or is it because all 3 of those people tried to tune it to the max and create more power than the engine could even tolerate (stupidity )?

Old 08-05-2015, 05:57 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been looking at the racechip ultimate and the Tmc unit.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 F56 Tuning Options