F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Is the new MINI more BMW than MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the new MINI more BMW than MINI?

We have a 2007 Cooper S. Some upgraded bits but not JCW. I was very interested in the new MINI's. Ours was in for a little work and we got a loaner of the new S. Loved all the creative comforts. Not sure one way or the other on the lowered roofline.

But what was concerning was the big three. Brakes, acceleration and handling. None seemed as good as the 2007 R56 S. I've driven enough BMW's to find it just like a BMW. Very comfortable, ok brakes, no razor handling like the MINI or acceleration. I know many people are buying them here and I do not mean to demean them. I'm curious if I'm missing something or they can be ordered to compensate. I didn't see any upgraded brakes or such on the build.

Also do all of them shut down at idle? This drove us nuts in heavy traffic. I'm amazed a starter can handle that. None of the options Green, normal, Sport prevented it from shutting down.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:36 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
I'd wager it's mostly a BMW and just a touch of MINI.

You can disable the engine shutdown at stop (or so I've been told).

Old 06-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nui
Also do all of them shut down at idle? This drove us nuts in heavy traffic. I'm amazed a starter can handle that. None of the options Green, normal, Sport prevented it from shutting down.
IIRC this is an option that can be changed.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:19 PM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nui
There is a switch on the dash next to the start/stop button that turns off the autostop.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:25 PM
NHcountryman
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Still a lot of Fun to drive....BMW/MINI .....personally who cares .....if it excites you and makes you want to get out and motor , then YAHOooooo

Old 06-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
2002 and later MINIs ARE BMW. Prior to that it was predominately Austin and Morris. The current trend at BMW appears to be a narrowing of the production line, fewer options and more BMW platform blending. By appearance they seem to be cross breeding what made it a MINI out of MINI. Sad to see.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:49 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 104 Likes on 74 Posts
Mini /BMW

I am on my third MINI. an "08S, 12S, and now a 15F56S. The new car does everything that the others did, but, only faster and smoother. I would never go back to the older models. More nostalgia than reality.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:57 AM
Pedro99
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dpcompt
I am on my third MINI. an "08S, 12S, and now a 15F56S. The new car does everything that the others did, but, only faster and smoother. I would never go back to the older models. More nostalgia than reality.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:13 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
I guess we were due for one of these threads. It's been at least a week.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:47 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Electrical systems, coding, and much of parts bin, packaging, and of course, engines, and in certain cases (more true of future models, like 2016 X1) the platform, are 100% BMW.

For sure, the F-series MINIs are the most BMW-like MINIs ever. F-series MINI <-> F-series BMW. Probably will make less and less sense to distinguish between the two as time goes by. The F60 Countryman and the F48 X1 will be fraternal twins!

Old 06-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Jonelew
1st Gear
I agree and am glad the new F series Minis are more like BMW!!!!

I bought my first Mini in Jan 2015. A Countryman S. A month later my wife got the Cooper Hardtop 4 door 3 cyl. I loved her car so much I had to get one. All of the cool new technology made my Countryman feel like a 2005 model.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:20 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the question is whether it is more American. And the answer is "yes." Run-flats mandatory on S and JCW. Steering by wire. No limited slip. No sport suspension. Soon to be no manuals. And then no driver.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Nui
Also do all of them shut down at idle? This drove us nuts in heavy traffic. I'm amazed a starter can handle that.
European Minis have been like that for about 7 years and they don't have any problems with the components. I was just querying that with my dealer a week ago as my three-year-old car had to have a new battery and the dealer said replacing either batteries or starter motors are as rare as in pre-stop/start cars.

Building a stronger starter motor, which Mini say they have done, is not rocket science - the automotive starter is about the lowest of the low where electric motors are concerned. There are motors in machinery that have been starting and reversing every minute for the last 30 years, so operating 20 times a day instead of 2 is not a giant leap into the unknown.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:50 PM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, you can turn off the auto start/stop. You can also have the car coded so it is turned off by default and you won't need to flip the switch when you get in.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:36 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by randomquickness
You can also have the car coded so it is turned off by default and you won't need to flip the switch when you get in.
No need on the F56/55 - it remembers your setting for next time. I think BMWs that have the later software, this is true as well.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:05 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
I think the question is whether it is more American. And the answer is "yes." Run-flats mandatory on S and JCW.
Run-flats had been mandatory on S since the beginning in 2003. Non-runflats only started to be offered during the last couple of years.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:00 PM
craigsix
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
No need on the F56/55 - it remembers your setting for next time. I think BMWs that have the later software, this is true as well.
it will come on automatically if you put it in green mode. i only did it once. i always run in sport mode.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:12 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Run-flats are an additional cost extra in the U.K.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:45 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
Run-flats are an additional cost extra in the U.K.
My point was that I didn't understand why you brought up the topic of run-flats, because the situation hasn't changed in the F56 compared with earlier generations.

In any case, my understanding is that run-flats have been standard on the S worldwide, until sometime during the 2nd gen when MINI UK switched to non-runflat for cost cutting reasons. BMW aggressively pushes runflats across their entire range and that's fundamentally why it has ended up on the MINI.

EDIT: It happened with 2010 model year in the UK: http://www.motoringfile.com/2009/07/...runflat-tires/
From 2002 - 2009, runflats were standard (required) on the S worldwide, including the UK.

Last edited by rkw; 06-06-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:43 AM
jamesdean
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The car is on a modified 1 series chssis and suspension. Same basic motor in the S. My guess is its 80% BMW. As far is performance its faster in every way than your pre fcl R56 whether or not you think it feels like it. Put it on NM springs and rear sway ,Burger Stage 1 tune and its a laser guided missile.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:32 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by craigsix
it will come on automatically if you put it in green mode. i only did it once. i always run in sport mode.
THERE'S A GREEN MODE?!

Old 06-07-2015, 11:58 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
IMO it is a parts bin BMW with a mini shape....kinda funny..like asking if a Buick is just a GM..LOL.
Still has a bit of mini soul....
Sure its faster, handles better than prior cars, and some would say "better" in every way....
But something HAS been lost...
Be it the quirkiness, some personality, and IMO the looks...
Huge nose, dinner plate sized tail lights...
I moved on...the "f" series was not doing it for me...
Maybe later...
More troubling....
MINI USA corporate....
Issues that owners have dealt with for years as "common" and $$$ issues, are FINELY getting recalls from gen1....after 10 YEARS...
PS pump took 10 years...
Passenger seat weight sensor just happened... Again about 10 years...
MINI USA seems to wait till the original owners are gone, and receipts are gone, and then they do the $$$ recalls...
I think it is an ethical issue of the highest order....
Figure the timing chain on the gen2 and carbon issues on the n14 should be recalled in another 5 years....

Last edited by ZippyNH; 06-07-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Angib
4th Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
THERE'S A GREEN MODE?!
So you would like me to quote that great source of philosophy:
SKINNER
I'm going to punish you for this, Bart. And it won't just be a simple caning this time. Because you have impeded science, you must now aid science. Yes... Starting tomorrow, you will assist me with my amateur astronomy, taking down coordinates, carrying equipment, and so forth. Four-thirty in the morning.
BART
There's a four-thirty in the morning now?

Old 06-07-2015, 01:29 PM
RottVet
1st Gear
Ahem! Back to the original question, the answer is YES! The F56 is a very good car. Mine is an awesome daily beater, er, driver I mean! The earlier models are now garage queens for special events- ie,spirited driving trips on fun roads.
If you want a gen 2, you better get one now or forever hold your piece. 😀

Old 06-07-2015, 02:11 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
IMO it is a parts bin BMW with a mini shape....kinda funny..like asking if a Buick is just a GM..LOL.
Still has a bit of mini soul....
Sure its faster, handles better than prior cars, and some would say "better" in every way....
But something HAS been lost...
Be it the quirkiness, some personality, and IMO the looks...
Huge nose, dinner plate sized tail lights...
I moved on...the "f" series was not doing it for me...
Maybe later...
More troubling....
MINI USA corporate....
Issues that owners have dealt with for years as "common" and $$$ issues, are FINELY getting recalls from gen1....after 10 YEARS...
PS pump took 10 years...
Passenger seat weight sensor just happened... Again about 10 years...
MINI USA seems to wait till the original owners are gone, and receipts are gone, and then they do the $$$ recalls...
I think it is an ethical issue of the highest order....
Figure the timing chain on the gen2 and carbon issues on the n14 should be recalled in another 5 years....

There needs to be a 'like' button on this forum. I had the aforementioned issues with my r56S and moved on to a Civic Si. Google "most reliable sports car" and see what comes up

What are you driving these days Zippy?? I remember you on here from when I was a very active member.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Is the new MINI more BMW than MINI?