F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 An unfortunate event

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Anaphor
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An unfortunate event

I was on my way home from work the other night, when a lady in a GMC stopped short in front of me. Luckily, I was able to bring the MINI to a stop and avoided colliding with the GMC. Unfortunately, not so much for the guy behind me.

Within a few seconds, I found myself face-to-face with an airbag, and this:

Auroris had been sandwiched!
Luckily nobody was hurt, and I have to say I expected there to be more damage than there was.

She should be entering MINIsurgery soon after the holidays, please wish her luck!

Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Lt. Dan
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch, glad everybody is okay!!!! You could always use this as an opportunity- Maybe replace the damaged body parts with JCW stuff?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:35 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How fast were you all going that the airbag deployed?

Who's fault does it become in this case? The GMC in front (if they didn't flee) or the car in the rear that was following too close? I think it's the lady with GMC's fault, but it's hard to prove.

Insurance-wise, I think the car in the rear will get all the blame.

Last edited by hp79; 12-24-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:44 AM
two250
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hp79

Who's fault does it become in this case? The GMC in front (if they didn't flee) or the car in the rear that was following too close? I think it's the lady with GMC's fault, but it's hard to prove.
It's always the fault of the car who did the rear-ending, so the car that hit the MINI. You should always leave enough space in front of you to stop in case the car ahead needs to do an emergency stop. Even if the car seems to stop for no reason at all you need to be ready for that situation, if you hit them then you were following too close...

Old 12-24-2014, 09:46 AM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep. I was a Mini sandwich between two pickups about 4 years ago. Killed my 2006 MC. I loved that car. The guy behind me was texting. So glad I was not on my motorcycle. He hit me at about 45.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Anaphor
1st Gear

Insurance-wise, I think the car in the rear will get all the blame.
I was stopped before he hit me, I honestly am not sure how fast the guy behind me was going, but I could only imagine that it was pretty fast to push me into the GMC. I had to have been at least about 4 feet behind the GMC with my foot hard on the brake.

There was another truck behind the guy behind me who rear-ended him. So it ended up being a 4-car accident.

I remember the cop saying it was the car in the rear that was to blame, but since my town is wonderful and greedy we all (except for the GMC) got a ticket for "following to closely".

Old 12-24-2014, 11:24 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Yeah.. I was thinking how are you going to prove you didn't follow too close. Would a dash cam recording have helped in this case? It could have shown that you completely stopped and then the moron behind you hit you.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:27 AM
Anaphor
1st Gear
Yeah.. I was thinking how are you going to prove you didn't follow too close. Would a dash cam recording have helped in this case? It could have shown that you completely stopped and then the moron behind you hit you.
I do wish I had a dash cam. I'm sure it would have helped to some degree, I feel as though it's going to be hard to prove that I was stopped.

I might invest in one after this to be honest

Old 12-24-2014, 11:52 AM
two250
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Anaphor

I remember the cop saying it was the car in the rear that was to blame, but since my town is wonderful and greedy we all (except for the GMC) got a ticket for "following to closely".
What?!? I would be fighting that ticket, if someone rear-ends you and pushes you into the car in front how are you following too close?
I do wish I had a dash cam. I'm sure it would have helped to some degree, I feel as though it's going to be hard to prove that I was stopped.

I might invest in one after this to be honest
I have run a dash cam for the last 2 years. I used it to get myself out of a speeding ticket. Cop picked up a Dark Silver R53 doing 90 in the fast lane, then once he caught up he pulled me over by mistake. The R53 had got a good distance ahead of me because I was doing the speed limit. Showed him the video and I got off free.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Anaphor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by two250
What?!? I would be fighting that ticket, if someone rear-ends you and pushes you into the car in front how are you following too close?

I have run a dash cam for the last 2 years. I used it to get myself out of a speeding ticket. Cop picked up a Dark Silver R53 doing 90 in the fast lane, then once he caught up he pulled me over by mistake. The R53 had got a good distance ahead of me because I was doing the speed limit. Showed him the video and I got off free.
Oh I'm definitely going to fight it , it's ridiculous for me to get a ticket when I was able to avoid an accident providing I didn't get hit.

Any suggestions on a good dash cam?

Old 12-24-2014, 12:23 PM
wtwien
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh I'm definitely going to fight it , it's ridiculous for me to get a ticket when I was able to avoid an accident providing I didn't get hit.

Cannot provide a review on gopro but mini and gopro have a partnership see link
http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...ini-gopro.html

Old 12-24-2014, 12:33 PM
D.D.
4th Gear
Anaphor-Did this happen Monday night on Hooper Ave. travelling south ~5:00 p.m.?

Old 12-24-2014, 01:08 PM
two250
4th Gear

I use a G1W-C. 1080P with no battery so it can sit in my windshield in the heat.

http://www.spytecinc.com/g1w-c-capac...sh-camera.html

Old 12-24-2014, 01:33 PM
hp79
4th Gear

I did make a thread on how I installed mine here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-fuse-box.html

With one like mine, you'd probably need to take video evidence to court though. Maybe you could have convinced the cop though saying you have the recording.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:54 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
How fast were you all going that the airbag deployed? Who's fault does it become in this case? The GMC in front (if they didn't flee) or the car in the rear that was following too close? I think it's the lady with GMC's fault, but it's hard to prove. Insurance-wise, I think the car in the rear will get all the blame.
I'll confirm. I was once the idiot in the rear; my insurance was liable for both of the cars in front of me.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:34 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There's a black box. I would ask the dealer for the data.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:10 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I have this....

Inexpensive app....10.00 I think.

and a 5 dollar ebay mount for glass.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:14 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I have this....

Eyewitness. iPhone app - YouTube

Inexpensive app....10.00 I think.

and a 5 dollar ebay mount for glass.
I tried using an app with my phone first. Phone gets hot and pressing buttons to start recording gets tiresome for an event that is likely not going to happen. That's why I spent about $200 and got a good dash cam.

Originally Posted by hammerhands
There's a black box. I would ask the dealer for the data.
I think those are used only in case bmw wants or needs the data, for a recall or if they get in a big lawsuit. It's not something you can ask for and just get the data. Besides, the data format could be a problem too and also you might not even have all the data that's needed. That's why a dash cam that is the only way to go. There are newer models supporting both front and back too, which is pretty popular in Korea. The brand I'm using (Lukas) is a popular brand in Korea.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Centium
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Anaphor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by D.D.
Anaphor-Did this happen Monday night on Hooper Ave. travelling south ~5:00 p.m.?
Yep, that would be correct! This intersection is infamous for having such a short light, I think the people behind me were trying to make it through quickly before it turned red.

Also, thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll be looking into them after the holidays.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Anaphor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Centium
YES. THIS. My reaction exactly.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:36 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Yep, that would be correct! This intersection is infamous for having such a short light, I think the people behind me were trying to make it through quickly before it turned red.
My nephew called me when he passsed the accident and thought he saw a MINI....Damn....Glad to see no one was hurt. He said like four ambulances showed up along with some fire trucks....

If you need a body shop...Auto Body Craftsman in Island Heights, are the BEST, bar none. I have no affiliation with them, but have had work done by them. MANY area dealers use them including Schneider Nelson Porsche/Audi, Circle BMW, and Contemporary Mercedes Motors. I would encourage you to take the car there. Family business and very easy to deal with. My brother in law is an Allstate adjuster and uses this body shop most of the time. Work is better than new......Check them out....Hope all turns out well with the car...

http://www.autobodycraftsman.com/services.asp

Old 12-25-2014, 10:12 AM
hp79
4th Gear
Reality - there's no such thing as "better than new". "Good as new" is also almost impossible unless the body frame is replaced too (buying new car is cheaper). It's all about "how close to new".

Every time there is a rattle, you're going to think if that's related to the accident. But what can we do.. just have to live with it. I feel sorry seeing these accident posts, and I would be pissed if my brand new car gets in a wreck.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:59 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Reality - there's no such thing as "better than new". "Good as new" is also almost impossible unless the body frame is replaced too (buying new car is cheaper). It's all about "how close to new".

Every time there is a rattle, you're going to think if that's related to the accident. But what can we do.. just have to live with it. I feel sorry seeing these accident posts, and I would be pissed if my brand new car gets in a wreck.
I know it's a stretch but I couldn't help think if you had a rattle in the rear that couldn't be corrected and now after being hit and with the rear panel now replaced the rattle is gone, one might think it's "better than new".

Old 12-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Anaphor
1st Gear
Originally Posted by D.D.
My nephew called me when he passsed the accident and thought he saw a MINI....Damn....Glad to see no one was hurt. He said like four ambulances showed up along with some fire trucks....

If you need a body shop...Auto Body Craftsman in Island Heights, are the BEST, bar none. I have no affiliation with them, but have had work done by them. MANY area dealers use them including Schneider Nelson Porsche/Audi, Circle BMW, and Contemporary Mercedes Motors. I would encourage you to take the car there. Family business and very easy to deal with. My brother in law is an Allstate adjuster and uses this body shop most of the time. Work is better than new......Check them out....Hope all turns out well with the car...

http://www.autobodycraftsman.com/services.asp
Wow, small world. Does your nephew happen to drive a MINI? I saw one drive past almost immediately after it happened. I think it was pepper white with black bonnet stripes?

Ughhhh I was just thinking about this. I'm hoping that she gets repaired nicely and that I don't hear any rattling, would drive me insane but meh what can you do. I have to say though, the MINI took the hit pretty well.

Originally Posted by whaap
I know it's a stretch but I couldn't help think if you had a rattle in the rear that couldn't be corrected and now after being hit and with the rear panel now replaced the rattle is gone, one might think it's "better than new".
HAHA good one. If only that was the case. I would have to agree with that though.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 An unfortunate event