F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Intake options

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Danger Dan
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake options

Has anyone installed an aftermarket intake on the f56 S yet? I know there's a couple options available I would just really like to hear a review or sound clip prior to purchasing. Also would like to see fitted pics and a review on the install/fitment

I know someone has to have one by now....

Old 12-02-2014, 08:23 PM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to see the one Way Motoring Works makes. They have a much cheaper option and I'd like to know if it looks and sounds good.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:55 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by TX1911fan
I want to see the one Way Motoring Works makes. They have a much cheaper option and I'd like to know if it looks and sounds good.
We added a pic to the site today. Our intention was to have much more affordable option as we couldn't justify the high price we knew other brands would have.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-int...-f56-mini.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Does the WMW intake produce more engine noise than the stock intake? How about turbo noise?

Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 AM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
VIP Custom Parts:

NM Engineering was working on one as well but haven't seen or heard anything yet.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:32 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
Does the WMW intake produce more engine noise than the stock intake? How about turbo noise?
Yes it does. But surprisingly it wasn't really that loud.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We added a pic to the site today. Our intention was to have much more affordable option as we couldn't justify the high price we knew other brands would have.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-int...-f56-mini.html
I like the price of your intake, and it looks nice. But, it sounds like you're saying that the gains from an aftermarket intake don't warrant the cost of even a more affordable unit like yours. I say this after reading the comments on your website. How much of a power increase should I expect from your intake?

From your website.
"Rather than trying to build a $500 intake that will gain you 1hp. WMW has gone with a cost effective and reliable approach. With the design of the F56 big power gains from an intake are just not practical to expect."

Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by CobraBob
I like the price of your intake, and it looks nice. But, it sounds like you're saying that the gains from an aftermarket intake don't warrant the cost of even a more affordable unit like yours. I say this after reading the comments on your website. How much of a power increase should I expect from your intake?

From your website.
"Rather than trying to build a $500 intake that will gain you 1hp. WMW has gone with a cost effective and reliable approach. With the design of the F56 big power gains from an intake are just not practical to expect."
Sometimes is sucks being an honest vendor. I don't like talking people out of a sale, but I'm not going to say every part will gain you 10hp like some vendors we know of. I've always gone with the theory that it may cost me a sale today, but long term that customer will come back because we told them the truth.

Just like the R56 Turbo the F56 we don't see it gaining 10hp with an intake, at least in stock trim. So we aren't going to claim that to sell them. I'd say if there is any HP gain it's only a couple horsepower. It does gain sound and a cleanable filter more than anything else. I can't wait to hear what customers that get them experience as that will be the real world findings. If you want our intake, or any intake don't buy it for HP you will be disapointed, buy it for sound and what fits your budget.

Last edited by WayMotorWorks; 12-08-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:29 PM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ I really like this response. Just built up some credibility with me.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
WMW I like your honesty. I wonder if the VIP intake is just a $300 flat black intake with a panel filter or if it really makes any power

Last edited by pjsjr13; 01-31-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:58 PM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
Sometimes is sucks being an honest vendor. I don't like talking people out of a sale, but I'm not going to say every part will gain you 10hp like some vendors we know of. I've always gone with the theory that it may...
What did/do you think of the Defenders of Speed intake? Considering how incredibly popular it was/is I wonder why no one has copied the design---assuming intellectual property rights weren't protected, etc.

Your thoughts?

Old 12-10-2014, 09:58 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've got the WMW intake on my Christmas list, we'll see if it shows up. I couldn't care less about performance gains. I just want to hear that turbo and the engine.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:26 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by VanessaVELEZ
What did/do you think of the Defenders of Speed intake? Considering how incredibly popular it was/is I wonder why no one has copied the design---assuming intellectual property rights weren't protected, etc.

Your thoughts?
I was never a fan. I had to ride in a car with one for 2hrs once and all I wanted to do was get out and take all the intake off as the noise was so loud and annoying. I had 2 customers that got it, and also removed them. The idea of the intake was an interesting theory, but in reality I still don't think it worked. Again it was really loud which most customers think that means their car is faster, when it's just noise. And you sure could dyno and make more power, but in real world driving you won't see enough temp drop before the turbo to see a drop after the turbo to make power. Having less restriction in the intake is good, but I can't warrant the high cost.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:35 AM
George 2014
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pjsjr13
WMW I like your honesty. I wond?er if the VIP intake is just a $300 flat black intake with a panel filter or if it really makes any power
That's a great question. I had a true cold air intake on my old RSX. The kind where a rigid tube routes outside the engine bay and picks up actual cool air. It made more power over the stock airbox but was loud as hell.

Getting back to the VIP and CS intakes, I am not seeing how they really could make much power over the stock airbox. They both appear to be simply "metal" versions of the stock unit, except you have a conical filter now. There is still that molded OEM induction tube feeding them and if anything, I think the VIP unit would run hotter since it appears to be swiss-cheesed with holes, which would draw in hot engine bay air.

We would really need to see some IAT and dyno data on these.

Personally, I'm saving my $$$ until someone comes out with a bigger intercooler.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:37 AM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
I was never a fan. I had to ride in a car with one for 2hrs once and all I wanted to do was get out and take all the intake off as the noise was so loud and annoying...
Ah I see. Well noise isn't a problem for me, so I'm glad thats the only negative you see. I doubt a dyno could measure increased power, since MY last dyno run was with the hood up--theoretically getting as much air in as other "cone" intakes.

I'm excited to install my DOS in, and I'll be sure to post a video.

Thanks Way.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:46 AM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Originally Posted by George 2014
That's a great question. I had a true cold air intake on my old RSX. The kind where a rigid tube routes outside the engine bay and picks up actual cool air. It made more power over the stock airbox but was loud as hell.

Getting back to the VIP and CS intakes, I am not seeing how they really could make much power over the stock airbox. They both appear to be simply "metal" versions of the stock unit, except you have a conical filter now. There is still that molded OEM induction tube feeding them and if anything, I think the VIP unit would run hotter since it appears to be swiss-cheesed with holes, which would draw in hot engine bay air.

We would really need to see some IAT and dyno data on these.

Personally, I'm saving my $$$ until someone comes out with a bigger intercooler.
I almost bought the VIP to see for myself. I have a scangauage2 for the F56 and wanted to see if there was an air intake temp drop. To me that would be worth the price of admission. I do not need to hear my MCS anymore then I do now.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:44 PM
R99
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see NM Engineering have a kit out now:

Old 12-18-2014, 05:43 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Hey R99 what did you make of NM's dyno chart?

Old 12-18-2014, 06:01 PM
R99
4th Gear
Not sure, it obviously flows more air over the OEM system - but the dyno sheets show no HP measurements so I can only imagine the intake gains nothing over stock and they didn't therefore show it on the website!!

The video on their site sounds really good though, much more BOV noise than stock and that really is something cool as the F56 already has a really loud BOV noise as stock!!

My only concern with all these open filter options (NM Engineering, Way Motor Works & Craven Speed) is what about the potential for an increase in IAT's due to the design??

Will this not make the car loose power as they are not really a 'cold air' intake when its sucking in a load of hot engine bay air due to its open design??

Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
This design doesn't really seem beneficial. The only way to bring fresh cool air into the intake would be to somehow make the hood scoop functional. Otherwise it looks as if for $300 your buying a noise maker.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:18 AM
R99
4th Gear
I think the VIP one looks like the best solution so far - I'm very tempted to order!

Old 12-19-2014, 06:33 AM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
I think it is over priced / rated for intakes....
$300 for a small piece of tubing

Old 12-19-2014, 06:48 AM
R99
4th Gear
Its the same price as the Craven one and also the NM Eng one though - so 300USD seems the going rate - plus for me in the UK, its only £200 due to exchange rates

Old 12-19-2014, 07:00 AM
fenderpicks
4th Gear
Man what is the Mini wage over in UK?

Old 12-19-2014, 07:14 AM
R99
4th Gear
The minimum wage? In the UK its £6.50 per hour - which is shockingly bad!!

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Intake options