F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Hardwiring in the F56

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 PM
glucklich21
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Hardwiring in the F56 DIY

Hi guys,

I made a little write up from when I hardwired my dashcam. The same would apply for a radar detector. Let me know if you guys find any errors or have any questions. You'll want to download the PDF for the best image quality. Thanks for looking!

-J.T.

-->Click here for the PDF<--

Last edited by glucklich21; 07-11-2014 at 01:45 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by glucklich21:
aabcds (12-13-2019), bluonyx (02-09-2019), ICEE (07-05-2022), jpreston (12-21-2023), pongobaz (06-14-2022)
Old 07-10-2014, 04:26 AM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very thorough write-up with excellent pictures.

The only change I could suggest is an explicit warning in the A pillar cover removal (and reinstallation) to be cautious of the airbag behind this pillar.

Given that this is a guide to wiring changes, perhaps it is a given to have disconnected the battery, but a lot of instructions that deal with panels where there are airbags call for the battery to be disconnected before removing said panels.

But again, well done, and thanks for posting!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:47 AM
AdamatCraven
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done sir, well done!

Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Pennengr
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Glucklich, danke for the fuse 52 pointer. It's helped with an auto start problem I've been having.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 PM
glucklich21
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aafflyer
Very thorough write-up with excellent pictures.

The only change I could suggest is an explicit warning in the A pillar cover removal (and reinstallation) to be cautious of the airbag behind this pillar.

Given that this is a guide to wiring changes, perhaps it is a given to have disconnected the battery, but a lot of instructions that deal with panels where there are airbags call for the battery to be disconnected before removing said panels.

But again, well done, and thanks for posting!
Thanks, I understand disconnecting the battery, but I'm a bit hesitant with a car this sophisticated. In theory the fuses should handle any surges from crossed wires or something of that nature. I'm just worried about some module needing to be programmed or reset after disconnecting the battery and I'm 150 miles from the nearest Mini dealer. Possibly try it and see what happens?

Originally Posted by AdamatCraven
Well done sir, well done!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Pennengr
Glucklich, danke for the fuse 52 pointer. It's helped with an auto start problem I've been having.
Glad I could help!

Old 07-11-2014, 01:46 PM
glucklich21
2nd Gear
Updated the PDF for additional warnings about the airbag

Old 07-12-2014, 08:46 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
This is great stuff Gluck. Good Work!
We need these in a separate folder. "How To's" or something like that!

Old 07-12-2014, 09:44 AM
SUNRUNER
Neutral
great write up. where did you purchase the fuse taps?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM
glucklich21
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
This is great stuff Gluck. Good Work!
We need these in a separate folder. "How To's" or something like that!
Danke. I'm curious when we are going to get our appropriate sections.

Originally Posted by SUNRUNER
great write up. where did you purchase the fuse taps?
I got mine from my local O'Reilly's. Amazon also carries them.

Amazon.com: Bussmann (BP/HHH-RP) ATM Mini Circuit Converter: Automotive Amazon.com: Bussmann (BP/HHH-RP) ATM Mini Circuit Converter: Automotive

Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM
SUNRUNER
Neutral
Originally Posted by glucklich21
Danke. I'm curious when we are going to get our appropriate sections.

I got mine from my local O'Reilly's. Amazon also carries them.

Amazon.com: Bussmann (BP/HHH-RP) ATM Mini Circuit Converter: Automotive
ty for the info. Found the same one being sold retail at Auto Zone for 11 and change. my price was $5 dealer cost as I have a commercial acct with them.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM
glucklich21
2nd Gear
I found while installing my driving lights this weekend that there's a threaded powersource on the backside of the fuse box. It will require the removal of the glovebox and undoing a clip that holds the fuse box in place, but totally worth it over using fuse taps.

Also worth mentioning, look at the color of the majority of the wires coming out of the fuse box. Red is constant power, green is ignition, and intermediate purple is switched. Explains why I had such a problem finding a switched fuse.

Name:  DSC08009.jpg
Views: 5285
Size:  118.4 KB

Old 10-01-2014, 12:40 PM
George 2014
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glucklich21
...Also worth mentioning, look at the color of the majority of the wires coming out of the fuse box. Red is constant power, green is ignition, and intermediate purple is switched. Explains why I had such a problem finding a switched fuse....
+1 ^^^^

I was hard-wiring my Valentine-1 last night and kept wondering why every circuit (that ordinarily...) should be switched was in fact, still hot. Fuse 52 was the only one I could really find that actually was switched like normal.

I am not 100% on this but I suspect that because of the whole "auto start"-thing, a bunch of these cricuits need to remain hot in order for that to work.

The hardwire job went fine once I tapped into Pos. 52. Thanks for your very helpful DIY on this.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:43 PM
PresidioF56
1st Gear
Is there no way to tap into a dome light wire?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ew-mirror.html

These seems much more difficult.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:49 PM
glucklich21
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by George 2014
+1 ^^^^

I was hard-wiring my Valentine-1 last night and kept wondering why every circuit (that ordinarily...) should be switched was in fact, still hot. Fuse 52 was the only one I could really find that actually was switched like normal.

I am not 100% on this but I suspect that because of the whole "auto start"-thing, a bunch of these cricuits need to remain hot in order for that to work.

The hardwire job went fine once I tapped into Pos. 52. Thanks for your very helpful DIY on this.
Glad I could help!

Originally Posted by PresidioF56
Is there no way to tap into a dome light wire?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ew-mirror.html

These seems much more difficult.
I'm sure there is, but this is more of a "fit and finish" solution.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Tribblez
2nd Gear
Thanks Glucklich for the detailed write up, it was extremely helpful!

Old 07-18-2016, 04:58 PM
aabcds
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
That was an awesome guide! I got stuck trying to hardwire my dashcam. I couldn't figure out to how route the wire down the a-pillar to the fusebox. Your guide helped me figure it out and I have it working now.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:39 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Hey gluck. Nice write up. You should post it in the "Modifications">>"How To" section.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:33 PM
bratling
Super Moderator
Received 217 Likes on 151 Posts
Another message of thanks to glucklich21/JT for the great PDF reference, and the tip on the incoming power line to the fuse box! Thank you!

Old 12-15-2016, 01:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Well done, really like the step by step. Post in the "how to" 100% agree

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-16-2016, 03:31 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Great guide. I didn't hardwire my dashcam but hid the power line as much as I could along this general route. The line is tucked inside the headliner along the windshield, wrapped around the top of the A pillar, then re-tucked inside the rubber weather stripping running down to the floorboard area. The remaining wire is stashed in some space behind the glovebox and then connected to the central cigarette lighter. Works well enough for me, and it's 95% hidden except for the lighter and the 5-inch A-pillar piece.

I tried initially suctioning the dashcam onto the dotted area at the top of the windshield (like the guide) but while driving it quickly fell off, I think because of the lack of suction to the actual glass. I moved the suction cup to attach to all glass and it hasn't moved a single time. Has anybody else successfully been able to keep their dashcam mounted on that dotted area?

Old 03-05-2017, 03:30 PM
sho69
1st Gear
Hi, I can't seem to reinstall the door sill trim... Could someone please tell me how it is supposed to go back into the clips? Should it be pushed in (by force) or slide in (from the side)? Any tips or instructions would be muchly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2017, 03:57 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sho69
Hi, I can't seem to reinstall the door sill trim... Could someone please tell me how it is supposed to go back into the clips? Should it be pushed in (by force) or slide in (from the side)? Any tips or instructions would be muchly appreciated. Thanks!
Slides under the pillar cover (between front and back) then it pops in. Just make sure that all the plastic "pins" are aligned as they move back and forth in those slots.

It is easier the 2nd time!

Old 03-05-2017, 05:36 PM
aabcds
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sho69
If you pulled off the door sill trim and the white clips didn't come off with the trim, you'll want to pull the white clips out of the holes and slide them into mounting slots on the door sill trim.

Be careful when reinstalling the door sill trim. You'll want to align the pointed end of the white clips properly with the holes when you push on the door sill trim. If you don't align the clips correctly, you'll end up bending the white clips. They're hard to straighten out and then you'll spend more time aligning the clips with the holes.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 PM
sho69
1st Gear
Thank you Gregory and aabcds! I finally managed to put everything back together! Not knowing whether to slide or push was only half of the problem; the other half is I didn't remove the lower kick panel. YMMV but for me it was impossible to slide the clips back on until I removed the lower kick panel.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:26 PM
prokanda
Neutral
I have a question about what can be wired to that tap. I'm not very satisfied with the options on the market for dash cams that have two cameras for recording front and back, so I was thinking that I might just go ahead and use two stand-alone dash cams. One in the front, and one in the back. I have a Garmin up front right now and I'm going to transfer that over to my F56 once it's delivered. I have the hardwire kit for it. My question is: could I use two hardwire kits on the same fuse for automatic power on? Would there be any negative effects? Also, since this guide is from back when the F56 was new, has anything changed for the 2019 F56?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Hardwiring in the F56